Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The other World Cup

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: The other World Cup

Postby iul » Sat, 28 Jun 2014, 19:18

4N wrote:Talk about heartbreak for Chile. I'm nerve-racked after that and had no stake in it!

This topic has gotten a few hits now from people coming over from google:
http://www.t2rugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48
:lol: :lol: They probably have no idea WTF is going on there

Postby 4N » Sat, 28 Jun 2014, 19:23

People coming over from google you say...

Neymar
Neymar height
Neymar haircut
Neymar girlfriend
Suarez bite
Larissa Riquelme

:twisted:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Sat, 28 Jun 2014, 20:05

Haha good one :thumbup: :twisted: :mrgreen:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 30 Jun 2014, 17:57

So, Nigeria have that amazing record of being the only African team to have reached the second round 3 times, but after 3 attempts they remain the only African team since 86 who did not then continue to the quarter finals. 0-3 in the 2nd round for the Super Eagles. Can Algeria repeat their miracle win of 82 and keep the Africans in the tournament ??
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 01 Jul 2014, 08:24

Good effort from Algeria, certainly the pick of the African teams at this tournament, but with their departure also goes my interest in this World Cup.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 06 Jul 2014, 20:28

Just an amazing stat: Germany are in their 13th semi, more even than Brazil, who have reached this stage 11 times. Italy are third with 8, and Argentina (who have never lost a semi) now joint 4th with 5 appearances in the top 4. There have been 20 World Cups. Remarkably Brazil and Germany have only met once before, the former winning in the 2002 final.

Costa Rica were this year's Cinderella team but join Ghana, Senegal, Cameroon, Mexico and NKorea as nations from outside Europe and SAmerica which have come agonisingly close to the World Cup semis but never quite made it. Anyway, seems like the best 4 teams got through to this years semis, with not a single upset in the 2nd round or quarter-finals.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Tue, 08 Jul 2014, 20:56

uh, my first soccer match I watched after centuries, and it's finished after 20 minutes…
good night to all!!!

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 09 Jul 2014, 05:41

I got interested in the World Cup as a kid because Brazil played the 'beautiful game' and the Africans were starting to come through and it was all very exciting. But the last few World Cups have been all Europe. It's the economic hub of the game and that is undermining the strength of national teams elsewhere. True, Africa wouldn't even be competitive if their top players weren't plying their trade in Europe. But the domestic scene on that continent is not developing - while Brazil's is gradually deteriorating.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 11 Jul 2014, 17:13

More useless stats that will probably mean nothing at this tournament:

The last 2 World Cups played in Latin America were won by Argentina (78 v Holland in Argentina, 86 v Germany in Mexico). Argentina still hasn't lost in the semi-finals.

Germany is playing in its 8th final, overtaking Brazil (7), though the latter have won 5 times to Germany's 3 (so far). Italy have played in 6 finals (winning 4 times), and Argentina is in 4th place as it prepares to play its 5th (two titles so far).

Meanwhile, Brazil still hasn't won the World Cup at home. It has, in fact, won it 4 times outside of its own Confederation (Sweden 58, Mexico 70, USA 94 and Japan 02). The only time it won it in SAmerica was 62 in Chile.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 13 Jul 2014, 06:46

Only saw the news highlights, but was that not yet another dive from Robben? Shame, I thought he was going to be the Player of the Tournament. He's ended up as possibly its biggest ballerina :evil:

Anyway, got a hunch the Argies might do it tonight. Germany the form team, but if Messi fires I think the South Americans might just surprise everyone. :mrgreen:

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 13 Jul 2014, 12:39

Someone on reddit made this graphic showing the *entire* World Cup, including all the qualification rounds: http://i.imgur.com/MYxvTLF.png

203 teams, 883 matches. Really impressive.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 13 Jul 2014, 17:43

Okay, lads, I think we are all agreed that soccer is a gentlemen's game played by barbarians, that they are all shameless mercenaries anyway and the major stars have failed to shine, that they spend most of their time diving for penalties, that it's boring, there have been no upsets in the playoffs except Brazil's demise) and that hardly any goals have been scored in the important games (except against Brazil) - which usually end up in penalty shoot-outs, and that rugby is by far a more noble and interesting sport played by real men.

That said, who's going to win tonight? I'm tipping Argentina :twisted:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 14 Jul 2014, 05:40

Hugely disappointing, once again. Football's become a European dominated affair, the world's best player couldn't produce the goods in the world's biggest game, and the South Americans failed to win the tournament in the Western hemisphere for the first time. The romance has gone out of football. :cry: So back to the rugby . . . :twisted:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 11:41

while the football WC is no doubt broadly competitive over the whole competition, the same few teams continue to actually dominate winning the the thing. When you get down to it, there's not many more teams than rugby in reality that have a lion's chance at the climax of the event. There are many more countries than rugby that have teams that can reach the quarters but not winning the whole competition, despite football's WC being around for a whole lot longer than rugby.

However Rowan you would seem to be among the few that didn't enjoy this WC. Personally I thought it was the best I've seen for some time.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 13:34

Not sure about that. Where I am a lot of people showed less interest than usual.

I guess I was spoilt to grow up in the days of Maradona, Zico and co, when flamoyant football still won World Cups and it wasn't a European-dominated game. There were also highly promising performances by the emerging African teams, but that promise has not been fulfilled. The economic strength of the European leagues has undermined South American football, turning its stars into mercenaries and weakening its domestic leagues. It has helped Africa reached competitive standards by providing so many of their best players with the opportunity to play professionally, but again the effect is to prevent the development of their own domestic leagues, so that their strength at national level is somewhat superficial. Europe is dominating not because they have the best players but because they have the most money and the strongest club leagues. No disrespect to Germany, worthy winners by the sounds of things, but I think I'll skip the next one as well. :thumbdown:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 16:56

I also grew up in the days of Maradona, Zico and others yet German squad was excellent from a technical point of view and much better as a team compared with others. As for Europe, I actually think the development of their kids is stopped by imports of players from South America. Just have a look at Italy or England where best clubs have so many foreigners.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 18:41

For me watching the World Cups of the modern era and the World Cups of my youth is similar to the thrill of watching Ali in the ring and the tedium of watching Klitschko (don't ask me which one, because I can't tell the difference...) :thumbdown:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby amz » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 18:47

you're more impressionable when you're a kid

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 15 Jul 2014, 21:38

Maybe so, but I think it has more to do with the obscene about of money top footballers are making these days and how little their national team has come to mean to them. Neymar looked miserable the whole tournament before he got injured, like he just didn't want to be there, while Messi's failure to produce the goods on the world's biggest stage, despite opportunities, confirmed that he poses no serious threat to Maradona's status as Argentina's greatest footballer ever.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 20 Jul 2014, 03:05

That's right, go and blame Europe for everything. It seemed to me that a lot of the reason for African teams failing to progress as much as you'd hoped for was the fact that their teams suffered from disunity between team-mates and between players and their home country administration. Ever thought that there might just be a bit of responsibility on the part of players and local admin for performance??? We both come from the same generation and I enjoyed watching the players of the late 70s -80s as much as you clearly did (except Maradona was an arrogant brat and a cheat. Never liked him and never will) but there was some terrific play in this WC. Much better than recent WCs (2006 was ok), that's for sure - and FIFA needed it because the gloss was starting to come off, especially after the last one.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 20 Jul 2014, 06:12

That's all a matter of opinion, of course. I'm not so much 'blaming' Europe for it as simply analysing the situation and presenting my own view on the current state of affairs. If the players have become mercenaries because of the cool fortunes they are able to earn in the European leagues, so that playing for their nation no longer interests them as much as it did a generation ago, that will inevitably have a negative impact on the World Cup. If players are flocking to Europe because it is the Mecca of club football, that will inevitably have a negative impact on leagues elsewhere (Brazil, which produced both finalists in the only Club World Cup ever played not so long ago, is a graphic example). & another factor which has also effected some of the European nations themselves - notably England - is that in many cases national team players just aren't that familiar with each other any more. I believe the bulk of Germany's squad still ply their trade in Germany. Similarly, the Spanish team of 2006 comprised mostly of Barca players, and the Turkish team which surprised everybody by finishing 3rd in 2002 comprised mostly of the UEFA Cup-winning Galatasaray team. So please don't misunderstand me as I have a moan here. I'm just analysing things, not blaming anyone, and giving my own opinion. 2014 is already history anyway.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 10:18

Now there's a film :roll:

First came an international roundup of several of its top officials on federal corruption charges, including a hotel sweep down the street from its headquarters. Close behind came the pageant of its autocratic president’s re-election on a platform of: Eh, just a few bad apples.

What other drama could possibly await FIFA, the governing body of international soccer? Well, there is this movie: a star-dappled epic about FIFA, underwritten by FIFA and portraying FIFA’s president, Sepp Blatter, as a resolute champion of ethics.

Its American premiere is on Friday, in the fresh wake of advance publicity conjured by last week’s dramatic indictments. That’s the kind of buzz you just can’t buy.

The film is called “United Passions,” but it is not, as the title might suggest, a lusty adventure in the way-too-friendly skies: a lonely flight attendant, a misunderstood pilot. ... No. This is about the succession of men in suits who nurtured the Fédération Internationale de Football Association from its idealistic creation a century ago to its current state of monstrosity.

The film claims from the start to be a work of “dramatic fiction,” gleaned from actual events. And true to its word, the movie avoids most of the factual inconveniences that might reinforce the widespread impression of FIFA as a corrupt rogue state, operating in contradiction to the noble ideals of the sport it purports to defend.

The movie’s director, Frédéric Auburtin, said in a telephone interview on Sunday that he did his best to provide as much subtext as circumstances would allow. A soccer fan from Marseilles, he knew that cries of FIFA corruption have resounded for years like so many vuvuzelas. But he also knew that FIFA was covering most of the cost, which came in around $30 million.

“I didn’t have the freedom to do a Michael Moore movie at all,” he said. “If I started the movie with flashlights and sirens coming to Zurich, like what happened last Wednesday — I knew if we would write any line like this, everyone would say: ‘What are you doing, man? Come on.’ ”

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/sport ... p=cur&_r=0

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 12:12

I don't know why people are surprised there's corruption in FIFA. Every affiliated member has a vote and most of the countries are corruption cesspits so there's no reason the people running those federations wouldn't be as well, specially as a large part of them would only run their federations in the first place due to their political connections.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 16:47

iul wrote:I don't know why people are surprised there's corruption in FIFA. Every affiliated member has a vote and most of the countries are corruption cesspits so there's no reason the people running those federations wouldn't be as well, specially as a large part of them would only run their federations in the first place due to their political connections.

A good number of them aren't even countries, really. It's absurd that Montserrat and the US Virgin Islands get the same representation as England and the United States.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 02 Jun 2015, 20:29

Is England a country then? If so what is the UK?

PreviousNext

Return to Other subjects