Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

The other World Cup

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

The other World Cup

Postby Pockets » Thu, 12 Jun 2014, 21:11

It's been a bit good this. Total dive for the penalty, though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: The other World Cup

Postby grande » Thu, 12 Jun 2014, 22:06

There's another World Cup? :lol:

Good game today. Most of the games take place sometime between noon and 8pm for me, it looks like... Gonna have to figure out how to discreetly watch while at work!

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby martin.dunham » Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 04:34

grande wrote:There's another World Cup? :lol:

Good game today. Most of the games take place sometime between noon and 8pm for me, it looks like... Gonna have to figure out how to discreetly watch while at work!

Much easier than the 5-6am wake ups from Olympics! Or the last 12-1am RWC matches!
Twitter: @BoomBoomDunham
2015 RWC Qualifier Stats

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 14:15

There is another World Cup going on in Holland right now, the Field Hockey WC. Not a very high profile event but the games are very exciting and they are running the mens and womens WCs together.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby USA Rugby Fan » Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 17:24

Pardon me FIFA, I was wondering if I get a Brazilian wax will you #WorldCupMyBalls?

I swear soccer fans, I’ll turn my head and cough while you #WorldCupMyBalls.
Twitter: @USA_Rugby_Fan

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 13 Jun 2014, 20:51

Spain :o

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 14 Jun 2014, 21:15

Good to see Uruguay get hammered by Costa Rica. Uruguay cheated their way into the semis four years ago, denying Ghana their place in history as the first African team to make the semis. Every other confederation so far has reached that stage, with USA representing CONCACAF in the semis in the inaugural World Cup and South Korea becoming the first Asian team to make it that far in 2002. African teams have got to extra time in the quarter finals on three occasions (Cameroon v England 1990, Senegal v Turkey 2002, Ghana v Uruguay 2010), but fate has been cruel to them.
Last edited by Rowan on Sat, 14 Jun 2014, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 14 Jun 2014, 21:35

I still haven't forgiven Suarez his handsball on the line against Ghana. That's where football needs the equivalent of a penalty try.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 14 Jun 2014, 21:36

Holland 5-1 Spain

Australia 6-0 France. Except that was rugby.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 15 Jun 2014, 05:09

NedRugby wrote:I still haven't forgiven Suarez his handsball on the line against Ghana. That's where football needs the equivalent of a penalty try.

The culture of football is cheating. It is really shocking that the most popular sport in the world does not embrace technology like every other sport in the world and promote respect for the referees/umpires as in other sports. In my opinion this just makes it easier for players to cheat, and even justify their actions because of the money involved. I watch the game but I do not respect it.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 15 Jun 2014, 07:11

That's where football needs the equivalent of a penalty try.

I agree. It was worse than the Hand of God because it was a blatant act of cheating which prevented certain defeat. The Ghanaians were obviously rubbish at penalties, but it shouldn't have come to that in the first place. I was so disgusted I didn't watch another game that year. This time around I'm just following the results on the net, because watching soccer these days mostly just annoys me. :thumbdown:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 15 Jun 2014, 09:08

Rowan wrote:Good to see Uruguay get hammered by Costa Rica. Uruguay cheated their way into the semis four years ago, denying Ghana their place in history as the first African team to make the semis. Every other confederation so far has reached that stage, with USA representing CONCACAF in the semis in the inaugural World Cup and South Korea becoming the first Asian team to make it that far in 2002. African teams have got to extra time in the quarter finals on three occasions (Cameroon v England 1990, Senegal v Turkey 2002, Ghana v Uruguay 2010), but fate has been cruel to them.

Just asking Rowan, but do you hope S Korea get hammered as well since their own SF place was pretty controversial?

If there is one country I'm not that predisposed to it's Korea. It's just that I'm completely sick of them protesting every time a decision goes against them in any major sporting event. Quite frankly I'm waiting to see what the football team will do if they perceive they've been hard done by. As far as I'm concerned they are the worst, most unsportsman-like losers around.

I'm a bit biased because I've lived in Japan and had a lot to do with Japanese language and culture etc and of course the two have had a pretty bad relationship for the last century or so but I kinda relate to why the Japanese dislike them sometimes as compared to the quiet, polite Japanese, the Koreans to me come across as aggressive and argumentitive (that's not to gloss over the fact that what Japan did to Korea and the Korean people last century was diabolical and disgusting and the Koreans have every right to hate the guts of the Japanese).

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 15 Jun 2014, 10:08

South Korea should never had been in the 2002 semis, granted. But they didn't cheat like Uruguay then boast about it. I'm sure the refereeing crews were generously rewarded for their performances, however :twisted: I guess it's also a little easier to swallow when the underdog cheats (or otherwise prevails in dubious circumstances) than when the underdog gets cheated . . .

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 08:36

Yeah there is that culture in South America that actually lauds cheating as a skill unless you get caught. Can remember the utter astonishment of Brazilians and their media in 2002 as if they were the victims when there was worldwide condemnation of a Brazilian player for cheating in the last seconds of a game they were leading. IIRC the Brazilian player was controlling possesion in the corner flag area of his own goaline and being pressured by an opposition player when he collapsed as though brutally tackled. the ref brought it hook, line and sinker and even yellow carded the opposition player who hadn't even touched him! Brazilians thought it was a masterpeice while the rest of the world thought it was gross cheating! I've even be done over by Brazilians myself...and in NZ! Left my mobile phone on a table in the lounge of a flat I'd just moved into and while I was taking care of some other business the Brazilians who were leaving that flat to go back home made calls on it to Brazil which of course I only found about when I saw my large phone bill! :oops:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 18 Jun 2014, 20:50

Italians are surely masters of the dive, which is why there was some poetic sense of justice at the manner in which Korea 'beat' them in 2002. If it wasn't a dive that denied them a penalty and brought a yellow card instead toward the end of that match, then the old 'Cry Wolf' adage certainly comes to mind.

Meanwhile, Spain doing a 'France 2002' - defending champions on their way to becoming the first team to exit the tournament :oops: :shock:

National Flag:
Pitcairn IslandPitcairn Island

Postby Adamstown 7's » Fri, 20 Jun 2014, 09:36

It's only cheating if you get caught. What Suarez Did to Ghana was genius and if he'd done it for Pitkern, he'd be a national hero :p
..and England are all but out :)

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 20 Jun 2014, 18:52

It's all about perspective, Adamstown. Cheating and getting away with it is not genius to me. It's just juvenile. Not really following this one but I see England are out already, having lost to Uruguay, a country of 3 million. That's because tiny Costa Rica added Italy's scalp to the Uruguayan one it took in the first game. Time to give CONCACAF one of those African qualifying berths, methinks...

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sat, 21 Jun 2014, 11:01

Rowan wrote:It's all about perspective, Adamstown. Cheating and getting away with it is not genius to me. It's just juvenile. Not really following this one but I see England are out already, having lost to Uruguay, a country of 3 million. That's because tiny Costa Rica added Italy's scalp to the Uruguayan one it took in the first game. Time to give CONCACAF one of those African qualifying berths, methinks...

and save the Cameroonians from hurting each other! :lol:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 21 Jun 2014, 11:38

Yes, how disappointing they've been since taking England to extra time in the 1990 quartfinals. We all thought there'd be an African team in the semis before long (Pele even predicted an African team would win the Cup before the end of the century)! Not to be, sadly, and they certainly don't deserve their five berths any more.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 22 Jun 2014, 07:48

A couple of good results for African teams last night though. Ghana, Nigeria and Ivory Coast all have destiny in their own hands going into the last round of pool games. It would be nice if two of them got through to the 2nd round. That would be a first for the African continent.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 23 Jun 2014, 07:16

Ghana v Portugal winner could go through - unless the other game is drawn, which would be enough to see both Germany and USA qualify. Germany, of course, were accused of manipulating a result with Austria at the 1982 WC which saw both teams qualify ahead of the outstanding Algeria, prompting various rule changes by FIFA (win increased from 2 to 3 points, final group games to be played simultaneously...). Surprise package Algeria had become the first African team to truly make an impact at the event, defeating both the Germans and Chile 3-2. But they lost 1-0 to Austria - who also beat Chile (as did West Germany). The Germans would go all the way to the final while Algeria were eliminated. Four years later Morocco would become the first African team to qualify from the group stages, winning a group that included England, Portugal and 1982 semi-finalists Poland. & four years after that Cameroon would become the first African team to reach the quarter-finals, losing in extra time to England. Though both Senegal and Ghana have matched Cameroon's achievement since, Africa still awaits its first semi-finalists . ..

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 23 Jun 2014, 12:36

USA must be sooooo angry! Board said three mins stoppage time to be played and then 4m50s into stoppage time Portugal score the equaliser. What happened to blowing the whistle after three mins??? I wonder if USA can challenge the result. I don't think so but if they miss out on qualifying for the second round...

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Pockets » Thu, 26 Jun 2014, 07:30

YamahaKiwi wrote:USA must be sooooo angry! Board said three mins stoppage time to be played and then 4m50s into stoppage time Portugal score the equaliser. What happened to blowing the whistle after three mins??? I wonder if USA can challenge the result. I don't think so but if they miss out on qualifying for the second round...

The board said 4 but the TV company got told 5, or was it the other way around? It's the kind of thing that happens when there's some hold-up or other in the 89th minute (or in the added time), it's not supposed to be exact. Of course it tends to be less favourable to underdogs (Fergie-time, etc.), but it's one of those things that happens. It's Bradley's fault for being an idiot, switching off mentally and getting muscled off the ball.

In other news, Suarez getting a bit bitey again. Ridiculous.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 28 Jun 2014, 08:01

Coming at you from Zanzibar today, folks, and good to see 2 African teams through for the first time at the same tournament, even though they've managed to get one through at every World Cup since Morocco topped their group in 86. Algeria should have gone through in 82 but were robbed by Germany and Austria, who manipulated their final result, so now the North Africans have their chance for revenge against the former. Nigeria, meanwhile, feature in the post-group stages for the 3rd time. They are the only African team to have reached that stage more than once, though they are not among the 3 African teams to have gone to the quarters (Cameroon, Senegal, Ghana). CONCACAF with 3 teams through, must be a record, and equally impressive is the presence of 5 South American teams in the last 16. Europe, with just 6/16 2nd round qualifiers is surely an all-time low. Asia has zero again. Anyway, good to see Suarez banned !!

Postby 4N » Sat, 28 Jun 2014, 19:05

Talk about heartbreak for Chile. I'm nerve-racked after that and had no stake in it!

Next

Return to Other subjects