Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

New York / New Jersey Expansion Team (Rugby League)

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

New York / New Jersey Expansion Team (Rugby League)

Postby GUYMAN » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 00:35

Is there still a possibility of a Rugby League team at Red Bull Arena in NJ next season?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: New York / New Jersey Expansion Team

Postby Blurandski » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 00:50

Short story: no.

Long story: No, there was a plan originally, but when the 'announcement' got zero local traction the idea was quietly killed off (one person involved with both NYRB & RL in NY wrote a savage, albeit fair assessment online somewhere), but the people behind it may be looking to bring the Australian RL team to NY for a match, and presumably use that to gauge interest, however I can't see any NYRL team using the RBA as a home base.

RUNY will be joining MLR next season though.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 03:14

I've heard speculation, albeit from a fairly credible Rugby League source that the different investor groups interested in bringing Pro Rugby League to Canada and the US are quietly waiting to see what the RFL and Super League do with the Wolfpack before they commit to anything.

The RFL may bring up the draw bridge in which case, TWP fold and all Rugby League development over here ceases.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby JamesWales » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 09:19

I've nothing against Rugby League, but why would anyone be more inclined to invest in American or Canadian rugby league, instead of Union?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 19 Jul 2018, 13:16

Because the game is tailored towards being friendly to television so it is presumed to be more suitable for the American market. The investment in the TWP has nothing to do with turning Canada in to some sort of Rugby League powerhouse, it's a 100% commercial endeavour. Eric Perez, David Argyle and other investors believe the sport can be commercially successful in NA.

Rugby League in the UK has probably some of the most myopic fans I've ever met in a sport though. If you went to a Rugby League forum, Toronto Wolfpack are basically the second coming of the Anti-christ, this about sums up the views of a large portion of Rugby League fans in the M62 Corridor:

National Flag:

Re: New York / New Jersey Expansion Team (Rugby League)

Postby Tobar » Mon, 23 Jul 2018, 14:30

I don’t follow League so can’t comment too much but grew up in NJ and live in NYC. Anyone that has the idea of creating a rugby team - League or Union - and decided to put them in Red Bull Arena is doomed to have some serious issues. NYC fans are very fickle and have issues going to NJ, especially RBA. People go to MetLife for Jets/Giants games because it’s the NFL and entrained in our culture, but to convince people to go all the way to RBA for a sport they don’t care about is tough. The MLS team has been very fortunate that this area has a ton of Hispanics to help gain popularity but rugby doesn’t have that.

People will definitely go, I’m not suggesting that it will be a total failure out of the gates, but it’s tough to build a dedicated fanbase. For example, if the MLR team ended up going to RBA I have doubts that I would even make it to more than 2 games a season and I’m a big Union fan. If you plan on putting a team here you have to spend lots of money and be very patient - you won’t get the easy crowds like you’d expect from the NYC market.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 12:29

Tobar wrote:I don’t follow League so can’t comment too much but grew up in NJ and live in NYC. Anyone that has the idea of creating a rugby team - League or Union - and decided to put them in Red Bull Arena is doomed to have some serious issues. NYC fans are very fickle and have issues going to NJ, especially RBA. People go to MetLife for Jets/Giants games because it’s the NFL and entrained in our culture, but to convince people to go all the way to RBA for a sport they don’t care about is tough. The MLS team has been very fortunate that this area has a ton of Hispanics to help gain popularity but rugby doesn’t have that.

People will definitely go, I’m not suggesting that it will be a total failure out of the gates, but it’s tough to build a dedicated fanbase. For example, if the MLR team ended up going to RBA I have doubts that I would even make it to more than 2 games a season and I’m a big Union fan. If you plan on putting a team here you have to spend lots of money and be very patient - you won’t get the easy crowds like you’d expect from the NYC market.

I don't necessarily think a team in New York will work either. If I were the RFL, I would be looking to put a second team in Eastern Canada in a few years, possibly Montreal or Ottawa and shore up the Canadian market first before going to the US.

There are supposedly interested investment groups from a couple of other Canadian cities who are just seeing how the Wolfpack unfold before throwing down money.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 24 Jul 2018, 16:59

I think a team in New York could work very well. But it has to be in NYC, otherwise it would flounder. There is nowhere to put them in NYC though.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 25 Jul 2018, 00:04

George Robertson has been working on this for a bit, just don't see it.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 02:52

Speak of the devil, there's the supposed League match coming to RBA. Looks like they want it to be a double header and the guy behind the proposed team is fronting the money.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/plans- ... 4ztjb.html

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 04:46

Tim Wilby lol...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 06:19

TheStroBro wrote:Tim Wilby lol...

Please enlight us who Tim Wilby (or Ricky Wilby as he's called by this name in the article) is and why he warrants a heartily lol from your side.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby sammo » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 15:36

RugbyLiebe wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Tim Wilby lol...

Please enlight us who Tim Wilby (or Ricky Wilby as he's called by this name in the article) is and why he warrants a heartily lol from your side.

This is from 2014, I don't know the truth of it though; https://m.facebook.com/HKR.Kumul/photos ... 67/?type=3

Edit: Looks like Ricky is Tim's nephew

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Thu, 26 Jul 2018, 16:42

Not the same person, Ricky Wilby is the spokesperson for the group and spent the past twelve years with the back room of Catalans Dragons, the League outfit in Super League from Perpignan.

There are supposedly two property magnates involved in the bid, one from London and one from New York. They have agreed to invest 10 Million Pounds per year for three years in a bid to get the team started. My thinking is if Toronto gets accepted in to Super League, this will flare up again.

http://m.nrl.com/well-funded-new-york-bid-targets-hayne/tabid/10874/newsid/116615/default.aspx

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 00:51

10MM/year in salary? Also, only a three year commitment? Sounds like a flop or never gets off the ground.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 16:55

Nope, £10 million total per year for the entire operation. Salary Cap in Super League is £1.8 million per year.

Btw, heard some positive news from a couple of close sources, though unconfirmed by the club, that TWP are expected to post a profit this season. The Air Transat sponsorship is going very well and both parties are extremely pleased as TWP have attracted 3000 away fans this season with the number projected to rise to 10000 next year if they make Super League.

Attendance has also held steady and TWP had close to 9k at the Featherstone match yesterday. Playoffs have been solidified and Toronto will play against:

Leeds Rhinos
Hull KR
Salford Red Devils
Widnes Vikings
London Broncos
Toulouse Olympique
Halifax RLFC

Some great matches coming up and I expect Lamport will have a few sellouts.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 17:12

RFL confirmed fixtures:

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 20:27

Why is London the only team that has both city name + nickname in that? Is there another Broncos?

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 29 Jul 2018, 20:44

grande wrote:Why is London the only team that has both city name + nickname in that? Is there another Broncos?

My guess is probably for branding purposes. There is talk of the owners of Super League taking control of London as having a London team in the top division is seen as strategically important. There are actual two pro RL teams in London. London Broncos (formerly Harlequins RL) and London Skolars who play in League 1.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Wed, 01 Aug 2018, 06:56

Canadian_Rugger wrote:Not the same person, Ricky Wilby is the spokesperson for the group and spent the past twelve years with the back room of Catalans Dragons, the League outfit in Super League from Perpignan.

He is an english journalist which was following the Dragons for various english medias. Never work for them in any capacity AFAIK.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 05 Aug 2018, 07:48

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
grande wrote:Why is London the only team that has both city name + nickname in that? Is there another Broncos?

My guess is probably for branding purposes. There is talk of the owners of Super League taking control of London as having a London team in the top division is seen as strategically important. There are actual two pro RL teams in London. London Broncos (formerly Harlequins RL) and London Skolars who play in League 1.

I vaguely remember several years ago that the Brisbane Broncos have a trademark on Broncos RL so it maybe why is known as London Broncos.

Wasn't that their first name anyway before they went to Quins for a few years and changed back?

Return to Other subjects