Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

$500m Stadium proposed in Texas USA .... for cricket?!?!

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

$500m Stadium proposed in Texas USA .... for cricket?!?!

Postby jservuk » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 10:32

This made me laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... exas-allen

Also the much quoted loved/hated statistical nuance that purports to suggesting cricket as the worlds 2nd most popular sport.

I mean, it's obvious. It's only popular in a handful of countries, 3 of which have a total population of 1.7 billion.

It attracts big crowds in Dubai but there are hardly any Arabs there watching. A bit similar to Rugby 7s. Big numbers but not in any way part of the national consciousness of the locals.

I can't think of any country in the last 40 years that has developed as even an emerging market for cricket.

Not an intrinsically exciting sport in my humble opinion; a sport that has by all measures sold its soul by adapting various formats and gimmicks to pursue money, though some might argue this was done to ensure survival as the traditional 5-day game was dying.

Re: $500m Stadium proposed in Texas USA .... for cricket?!?!

Postby 4N » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 13:46

The South Asian population in the US has grown quite a bit over the last decade. When I take my kids to the park I often see cricket being played. And the Indian community is wealthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could support a pro league in certain areas tbh.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 14:28

Seems very expensive for a 15k stadium even with the other facilities they would have. Anyway, this type of plans, with megamillions and even billions being thrown around to grow cricket in the US have been around for years but nothing ever happens.

Postby 4N » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 14:43

There’s a cricket stadium planned for the site of an old shopping mall in the Atlanta suburbs. Big Indian population in the area.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--po ... haT2kHqUK/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 28 Apr 2019, 17:11

Cricket is growing in popularity in Canada. It is very popular amongst the SE Asian population in Toronto and if you go to a park on a weekend in many larger centres, you will sometimes see cricket being played.

National Flag:
FinlandFinland

Postby rugby ideas » Sun, 19 May 2019, 21:57

It would be wonderful to see the best of Texas go up against the best of Florida, NY, Penn Cal & Ill - yeah, state of origin ! To be eligible to play for these teams onemust have lived in the state at least 10 years .... and bring it on! A massive cricket stadium in Texas to make front page regular headlines there would be wonderful!

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 20 May 2019, 20:32

Cricket's at risk of becoming a subcontinental heritage only sport. You see it in the national teams for anyone outside the top 15, and here in England it is fading without a trace in the younger (white) population, and I say that as a keen cricket fan.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 29 May 2019, 23:05

Cricket can make money in the US but it has to depend almost entirely on 1. Being a pet project of billionaires for a long time and 2. Lots of SE Asians, specifically Indians (which there are a lot of in the US). I see almost next to 0 interest from anyone else in the US considering how similar it is to baseball and how engrained that sport is in our culture.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 14:00

I don't know how true it is, but I have read that cricket among young Indian people is being challenged by football.

But, cricket is just so, so far ahead of anything else in India I think it will be safe for a good few generations yet.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Aug 2019, 10:16

The thing with cricket is I firmly believe it's a sport that more of the world could get into, but it's hamstrung more than rugby by the countries who play it. In many ways having many South East Asian communities in other countries introducing the sport is great, but it's not a sustainable to rely on that community entirely. You need locals to also develop a love of the game. Although to be fair many sports started the same way, being introduced by immigrants, so it's nothing new, it's just the sporting landscape is different compared to 100 years ago. It's hard for me to ever see the USA taking a liking to cricket in any meaningful way unless as is mentioned above the local Indian/Pakistan communities are heavily involved. I really wish cricket was more global than it currently is. It's a great sport that I think many people could learn to enjoy.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 28 Sep 2019, 21:01

jservuk wrote:This made me laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... exas-allen

Also the much quoted loved/hated statistical nuance that purports to suggesting cricket as the worlds 2nd most popular sport.

I mean, it's obvious. It's only popular in a handful of countries, 3 of which have a total population of 1.7 billion.

It attracts big crowds in Dubai but there are hardly any Arabs there watching. A bit similar to Rugby 7s. Big numbers but not in any way part of the national consciousness of the locals.

I can't think of any country in the last 40 years that has developed as even an emerging market for cricket.

Not an intrinsically exciting sport in my humble opinion; a sport that has by all measures sold its soul by adapting various formats and gimmicks to pursue money, though some might argue this was done to ensure survival as the traditional 5-day game was dying.

I always thought cricket was a snotty form of baseball. Guess I'm not wrong.

On the actual topic though - how would this even work? I understand there is a growing South Asian community in the USA/Canada and there is plenty of disposable income with them, but at best it will be an ethnic sport in the USA. Baseball has been declining slightly in the USA and the cricket management there is terrible from what I understand.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 08:52

Immigrants are usually the ones who introduce new sports into other nations, it just doesn't happen as often as it did 150 years ago because of how sport it run these days. Who knows in 15 years time cricket might catch on more in the US. I think every nation should have a look a cricket. It's a great sport that once you understand is really fun to watch.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 08 Oct 2019, 19:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:Immigrants are usually the ones who introduce new sports into other nations, it just doesn't happen as often as it did 150 years ago because of how sport it run these days. Who knows in 15 years time cricket might catch on more in the US. I think every nation should have a look a cricket. It's a great sport that once you understand is really fun to watch.

I watched a couple of Aussie Bash league or what they call it. Seems very very awful to me.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 02:05

thatrugbyguy wrote:Immigrants are usually the ones who introduce new sports into other nations, it just doesn't happen as often as it did 150 years ago because of how sport it run these days. Who knows in 15 years time cricket might catch on more in the US. I think every nation should have a look a cricket. It's a great sport that once you understand is really fun to watch.

Mate cricket will be in the same place as it was 15 years ago in the USA, there's pretty much little public interest there, it's a niche at best with some enthusiasts and some Indian/Pakistani immigrant communities.

Plus the USA sports market is super saturated. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, UEFA Champions League, EPL, MLS, that's pretty much what takes up American viewing time.

Postby 4N » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 02:41

Return_of_BG_97 wrote:

Mate cricket will be in the same place as it was 15 years ago in the USA, there's pretty much little public interest there, it's a niche at best with some enthusiasts and some Indian/Pakistani immigrant communities.

Plus the USA sports market is super saturated. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA, UEFA Champions League, EPL, MLS, that's pretty much what takes up American viewing time.

Also UFC is pretty big and Liga MX gets strong ratings.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/l ... story.html

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 03:13

4N wrote:
Return_of_BG_97 wrote:

Also UFC is pretty big and Liga MX gets strong ratings.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/l ... story.html

Liga MX in the USA is unique in that it's mostly viewed by Mexican-Americans (or, as we'd call them, pochos) and some other soccer enthusiasts. It's also easy to watch in the US; it airs all the time on Univision and I think Fox Sports still airs their games, and basic cable will get you Liga MX games, they have an insane TV deal. I wouldn't be surprised if 150-200k of people who watched an average Liga MX game just put it on in the background because it's quality footy. I don't know if there's any parallel in another country (maybe NFL in UK/Germany but that's mostly viewed by Brits and Germans instead of Americans in their countries, and that's more parallel to EPL in USA).

I personally cannot stand Univison broadcasts by the way, they pull out the cringiest bullshit to appeal to an older generation of Mexicans whose country they remember has long died. Give me Martinoli and the crew at Azteca please.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 12:44

iul wrote:

I watched a couple of Aussie Bash league or what they call it. Seems very very awful to me.

It's fun to play. :)

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 09 Oct 2019, 18:43

thatrugbyguy wrote:
iul wrote:

...for two people

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 02:02

iul wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:
iul wrote:

...for two people

You'd both probably hate baseball.

Funny enough thatrugbyguy, your country has produced some notable baseball players. Liam Hendriks is doing quite well, one of the best closers in MLB!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Oct 2019, 09:41

I actually like Baseball. Baseball has a rich history down here. In fact the Claxton Shield, which is given to the ABL champions, is the second oldest sports trophy in the country. Baseball has its supporters here.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 04:36

thatrugbyguy wrote:I actually like Baseball. Baseball has a rich history down here. In fact the Claxton Shield, which is given to the ABL champions, is the second oldest sports trophy in the country. Baseball has its supporters here.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/ ... born.shtml

I love baseball myself as well. Watching the MLB playoffs during the late 90s and 2000s was always a treat, good times.

Postby 4N » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 15:03

As a Cleveland Indians fan the mid-late 90s were the best and worst of times. Great teams that fell at the final hurdle. The 1997 game 7 loss in extra innings was brutal.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 11 Oct 2019, 17:58

For me was the Dodgers back in the 80s (shows my age ;) ) For a lot of us growing up was the Bull Fernando Valenzuela which got me into Baseball and obviously winning the world series, crazy times growing up.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Return_of_BG_97 » Sat, 12 Oct 2019, 01:26

Thomas wrote:For me was the Dodgers back in the 80s (shows my age ;) ) For a lot of us growing up was the Bull Fernando Valenzuela which got me into Baseball and obviously winning the world series, crazy times growing up.

My dad still loves bringing up those Dodgers teams with Valenzuela, wish I were alive to see the peak of his career, though I do remember seeing him pitch in Monterrey on an old crap television :)

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 13 Oct 2019, 10:36

Major League Baseball brought down the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks to Sydney to open the 2014 season. 2 Game series, plus a couple of exhibitions games as well. They converted one of our cricket stadiums into a baseball field. It was a pretty awesome weekend. Probably as close as one gets to the experience in America.

Next

Return to Other subjects