Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

$500m Stadium proposed in Texas USA .... for cricket?!?!

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

$500m Stadium proposed in Texas USA .... for cricket?!?!

Postby jservuk » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 10:32

This made me laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... exas-allen

Also the much quoted loved/hated statistical nuance that purports to suggesting cricket as the worlds 2nd most popular sport.

I mean, it's obvious. It's only popular in a handful of countries, 3 of which have a total population of 1.7 billion.

It attracts big crowds in Dubai but there are hardly any Arabs there watching. A bit similar to Rugby 7s. Big numbers but not in any way part of the national consciousness of the locals.

I can't think of any country in the last 40 years that has developed as even an emerging market for cricket.

Not an intrinsically exciting sport in my humble opinion; a sport that has by all measures sold its soul by adapting various formats and gimmicks to pursue money, though some might argue this was done to ensure survival as the traditional 5-day game was dying.

Re: $500m Stadium proposed in Texas USA .... for cricket?!?!

Postby 4N » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 13:46

The South Asian population in the US has grown quite a bit over the last decade. When I take my kids to the park I often see cricket being played. And the Indian community is wealthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they could support a pro league in certain areas tbh.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 14:28

Seems very expensive for a 15k stadium even with the other facilities they would have. Anyway, this type of plans, with megamillions and even billions being thrown around to grow cricket in the US have been around for years but nothing ever happens.

Postby 4N » Tue, 23 Apr 2019, 14:43

There’s a cricket stadium planned for the site of an old shopping mall in the Atlanta suburbs. Big Indian population in the area.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--po ... haT2kHqUK/

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby Canadian_Rugger » Sun, 28 Apr 2019, 17:11

Cricket is growing in popularity in Canada. It is very popular amongst the SE Asian population in Toronto and if you go to a park on a weekend in many larger centres, you will sometimes see cricket being played.

National Flag:
FinlandFinland

Postby rugby ideas » Sun, 19 May 2019, 21:57

It would be wonderful to see the best of Texas go up against the best of Florida, NY, Penn Cal & Ill - yeah, state of origin ! To be eligible to play for these teams onemust have lived in the state at least 10 years .... and bring it on! A massive cricket stadium in Texas to make front page regular headlines there would be wonderful!

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Mon, 20 May 2019, 20:32

Cricket's at risk of becoming a subcontinental heritage only sport. You see it in the national teams for anyone outside the top 15, and here in England it is fading without a trace in the younger (white) population, and I say that as a keen cricket fan.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Wed, 29 May 2019, 23:05

Cricket can make money in the US but it has to depend almost entirely on 1. Being a pet project of billionaires for a long time and 2. Lots of SE Asians, specifically Indians (which there are a lot of in the US). I see almost next to 0 interest from anyone else in the US considering how similar it is to baseball and how engrained that sport is in our culture.

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Postby jservuk » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 14:00

I don't know how true it is, but I have read that cricket among young Indian people is being challenged by football.

But, cricket is just so, so far ahead of anything else in India I think it will be safe for a good few generations yet.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 27 Aug 2019, 10:16

The thing with cricket is I firmly believe it's a sport that more of the world could get into, but it's hamstrung more than rugby by the countries who play it. In many ways having many South East Asian communities in other countries introducing the sport is great, but it's not a sustainable to rely on that community entirely. You need locals to also develop a love of the game. Although to be fair many sports started the same way, being introduced by immigrants, so it's nothing new, it's just the sporting landscape is different compared to 100 years ago. It's hard for me to ever see the USA taking a liking to cricket in any meaningful way unless as is mentioned above the local Indian/Pakistan communities are heavily involved. I really wish cricket was more global than it currently is. It's a great sport that I think many people could learn to enjoy.

Return to Other subjects