Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Favourite Books

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Re: Favourite Books

Postby Rowan » Thu, 14 May 2015, 21:10

Hansgrohe wrote:Anyone here read Flight by Sherman Alexie? Short but awesome.

No. I've heard of Sherman Alexie, a Native American writer, & might even have read one or two of his short stories at some time, but I haven't come across any of his books.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 05 Jun 2015, 22:50

Bought 4 books today: Herodotus' 'Histories,' Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything,' Jose Saramago's 'Raised From the Ground' and Amy Tan's 'The Joy Luck Club.' I read Herodotus in my youth but didn't really understand the historical context, so I've decided to read him again now that I do. In fact, I've been to his home-town Halikarnas a number of times. It's now Turkey's number 1 tourist resort and has been re-named Bodrum (Basement) :lol: Comments from anyone who has read any of the other books mentioned here would be appreciated...

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 15 Aug 2015, 22:15

Reading Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' at the moment:

If the world were the size of a marble the moon would be a crumb about a meter away, Mars and Venus would be about 50 meters away, the sun would be a rather large beachball about 120 metres away, Jupiter would be the size of a baseball about 600 meters away, Neptune would be a billiard ball about 3.5 kilometres away, Pluto would be about 7 kms away, and the edge of our solar system would be about 14 kms away. The nearest solar system would be about 26,000 kms away, which is the circumference of the world plus a couple thousand kilometres.

The fastest space ship we have at present would take 165,000 years to reach the nearest solar system. At the fastest speed scientists are even able to imagine, nuclear propulsion, it would take 85 years. But humans would disintegrate at that speed anyway.

Meanwhile, if the 4.5 billion year history of the world were reduced to a single day, life would have begun at 4am but remained in the single cell form (like bacteria) for the next 16 hours. Seaweed and jellyfish began to evolve at about 830 - 9pm, insects followed about an hour later, and dinosaurs appeared at 11pm - only to be wiped out by a meteorite at 11.45pm. Mammals began to evolve in the absence of the dinosaurs, though modern man did not arrive on the scene until about one minute, 17 seconds ago. The first civilizations appeared just a few second ago, the pyramids of Egypt were built between 2 and 3 second ago, and the Roman Empire was at its height about a second ago.

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 08:19

An enjoyable read, a modern fairy tale. Not that Fantasy will get any respect here from the "serious" readers I'm sure.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 09:19

I'm just finishing Saramago's 'Raised From the Ground.' Very much in the Steinbeck mold, especially reminiscent of 'To a God Unknown,' and also somewhat of my favorite Turkish writer Yasar Kemal with his 'Wind from the Plain' trilogy.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 14 Sep 2015, 13:18

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:An enjoyable read, a modern fairy tale. Not that Fantasy will get any respect here from the "serious" readers I'm sure.

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, my favourite writers, and I was genuinely upset when the latter passed away.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Thu, 17 Sep 2015, 07:46

Just finished a brilliant read, "Two Brothers" by Ben Elton.
A Jewish family in Germany during World War 2, have two sons, however one is adopted and very much German.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Horsehead » Thu, 17 Sep 2015, 13:53

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:An enjoyable read, a modern fairy tale. Not that Fantasy will get any respect here from the "serious" readers I'm sure.

Neil Gaiman is awesome although I feel Stardust starts really well and tails off towards the end. If you enjoyed that I can thoroughly recommend American Gods and Anansi Boys

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 18 Sep 2015, 08:11

Horsehead wrote:

Neil Gaiman is awesome although I feel Stardust starts really well and tails off towards the end. If you enjoyed that I can thoroughly recommend American Gods and Anansi Boys

Thanks, I'll check those out. I got Stardust for free, so it was a real winner!

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 18 Sep 2015, 16:00

AUCKLANDREUNION wrote:Just finished a brilliant read, "Two Brothers" by Ben Elton.
A Jewish family in Germany during World War 2, have two sons, however one is adopted and very much German.

I thought I'd read all Ben Elton's books but I never heard of this one. I'll have to look out for it.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby BrendanJure » Sat, 19 Sep 2015, 21:40

I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwall and Farley Mowat (even though his 'theories' can be a bit far fetched).

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 20 Sep 2015, 09:52

BrendanJure wrote:I'm a big fan of Bernard Cornwall and Farley Mowat (even though his 'theories' can be a bit far fetched).

I've often thought about reading Bernard Cornwall - what is a good first one to try out?

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 20 Sep 2015, 15:40

Bernard Cornwall's books are great. Sharpe, Starbuck and the Warlord series are all very entertaining and historically accurate too.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby BrendanJure » Sun, 20 Sep 2015, 18:23

I'd start of with the Warlord Series (The Winter King) or Sharpe (Sharpe's Tiger). One of favourite series that Sables didn't mention is the Grail series. All four books are great.

If your into non-fiction, his new book Waterloo is a great read.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 20 Sep 2015, 18:35

Thanks, I've got a stack of books ( virtual stack of eBooks) to get through but I will try and look into those suggestions.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 21 Sep 2015, 06:06

BrendanJure wrote:I'd start of with the Warlord Series (The Winter King) or Sharpe (Sharpe's Tiger). One of favourite series that Sables didn't mention is the Grail series. All four books are great.

I haven't got to the Grail series yet but they are in my Kindle ready for when I do get there.

Another series of books that are worth a read are Alexander Kents Richard Bolitho books. The series charts Bolithos progress in the Royal Navy from boy to Admiral in the 1800s

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby BrendanJure » Mon, 21 Sep 2015, 19:06

Sables4EVA wrote:
BrendanJure wrote:I'd start of with the Warlord Series (The Winter King) or Sharpe (Sharpe's Tiger). One of favourite series that Sables didn't mention is the Grail series. All four books are great.

I haven't got to the Grail series yet but they are in my Kindle ready for when I do get there.

Another series of books that are worth a read are Alexander Kents Richard Bolitho books. The series charts Bolithos progress in the Royal Navy from boy to Admiral in the 1800s

You wont be disappointed.

I'll have to check that out.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 22 Sep 2015, 05:27

I love Cornwell's books. He does a lot of research to make them historically accurate. I haven't read the Sharpe series or the Starbuck series (not really interested in those periods) but loved the grailquest and Warlord series. Very gritty, gory even, but gives you the feeling he has actually been there.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 22 Sep 2015, 07:58

I'm aware of the Sharpe series of course, thanks to the TV dramatisation with Sean Bean but likewise that period of history doesn't really interest me. I like historical novels set roughly up to the Elizabethan era, so the Grail and Warlord books would probably be the ones I go for.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby BrendanJure » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 18:57

Happy reading man.

I just finished Jame's King book about Farley Mowat. I liked it a lot.

I just started reading the 5th book in A Song of Fire and Ice series as well as Roy Keane (by way of Roddy Doyle) new book.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 24 Sep 2015, 19:12

Other authors I enjoy are Raymond E. Feist and Robin Hobb. More on the fantasy side but still good reads.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 25 Sep 2015, 07:26

Good list of political books. I've read quite a few of these, and would like to get my hands on some of the others: http://noam-chomsky.tumblr.com/post/129 ... positively

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Sat, 26 Sep 2015, 07:36

NedRugby wrote:
AUCKLANDREUNION wrote:Just finished a brilliant read, "Two Brothers" by Ben Elton.

I thought I'd read all Ben Elton's books but I never heard of this one. I'll have to look out for it.

First published in 2012, If you like reading his works then this will blow you out of the water, when reading you ask yourself the question ' "how brilliant is this guy?"

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 27 Sep 2015, 10:56

BrendanJure wrote:Happy reading man.

I just finished Jame's King book about Farley Mowat. I liked it a lot.

I just started reading the 5th book in A Song of Fire and Ice series as well as Roy Keane (by way of Roddy Doyle) new book.

Well I'm sure you can tell from my login name I'm a reader of A Song of Ice and Fire too. It's hard to judge it completely until it's finished ( at least we hope it will be...some day).

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 27 Sep 2015, 22:33

Just finished Paulo Coelho's 'By the River Piedra . . . ' Rather boring to be honest. I don't think I've enjoyed a single book of his since 'The Alchemist,' and I've read about half a dozen.

Anyone else thing this guy's over-rated? :thumbdown:

PreviousNext

Return to Other subjects