Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: USA Rugby

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:36

Working Class Rugger wrote:Looks like they are trying to do a WC 1994 hoping it will jump start League in the US. Problem is, in 1994 Soccer was already a popular participation sport. League is not. All these plans for WC and Pro league without actually doing the groundwork first.

If that is the mentality then those running the game have no clue why the 1994 WC was a success. You are right about the groundwork. I keep saying to my League friends if they want the sport to grow world wide the international body needs to spend hundreds of millions of dollars and 15-20 years developing the sport. But once again all I see League is trying to find a quick fix to a complex problem. I remember all the promises of Super League making the game big in Asia and the US. Nothing eventuated because there wasn't enough people to care about it. You can't expect to just show a sport to people and get them to start supporting it, you've got to build it from the ground up.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:43

Probably they will sell this as THE Rugby World Cup.

If they are not stupid they will play this at the begining of the season, not in the end. February, after Super Bowl.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:44

thatrugbyguy wrote:
Working Class Rugger wrote:Looks like they are trying to do a WC 1994 hoping it will jump start League in the US. Problem is, in 1994 Soccer was already a popular participation sport. League is not. All these plans for WC and Pro league without actually doing the groundwork first.

If that is the mentality then those running the game have no clue why the 1994 WC was a success. You are right about the groundwork. I keep saying to my League friends if they want the sport to grow world wide the international body needs to spend hundreds of millions of dollars and 15-20 years developing the sport. But once again all I see League is trying to find a quick fix to a complex problem. I remember all the promises of Super League making the game big in Asia and the US. Nothing eventuated because there wasn't enough people to care about it. You can't expect to just show a sport to people and get them to start supporting it, you've got to build it from the ground up.

I would say $100s of million is the minimum required. Apparently World Rugby has more than $300m AUD to spend on development between now and 2019. They have a lot of catching up to do.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:48

victorsra wrote:Probably they will sell this as THE Rugby World Cup.

If they are not stupid they will play this at the begining of the season, not in the end. February, after Super Bowl.

No chance. That's right near the beginning of both the NRL and SL seasons. Now the SL might be pursuaded to delay its kickoff but the NRL will be a great deal more difficult to sway. They actively regard international League as a sideshow. As for marketing it as THE Rugby World Cup. I cannot see WR letting that happen nor do I see it fooling the Rugby community in the US who as a whole know the difference between the two.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:50

thatrugbyguy wrote:

You cannot tell League fans this but this belief is all they did to do is go pro and the rest will take care of itself is fantasy. Honestly, I think they are just work shy when it comes to develooment.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:51

victorsra wrote:Probably they will sell this as THE Rugby World Cup.

Won't happen, NRL season kicks of in March, international games in February will severely disrupt club preparations, and the NRL clubs have all the power.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 12:02

Working Class Rugger wrote:You cannot tell League fans this but this belief is all they did to do is go pro and the rest will take care of itself is fantasy. Honestly, I think they are just work shy when it comes to develooment.

I think the problem comes down to the perception that they have an objectively better sport, which really is silly, you can't state for a fact one sport is better than the other, it's all opinion. To be fair there are League fans I know who don't think like that, but there is a fringe who have this dream of a big international scene and that there's some grand conspiracy against their sport. I know because I use to think along the same lines when I was younger before I knew about the realities of the world.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby League World Cup

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 15:17

Btw. Why was the "Rugby League World Cup" thread merged with USRugby. Okay, more people read in the regular forum, but the RLWC-thread was also used as the solely Rugby League thread...
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 18:04

Because in 2025 it will be in USA and I asked what sort of impact in local Union we can expect. The topic went to another direction, but it was there to hear if this can affect USA's Union somehow.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 22 Nov 2016, 08:59

victorsra wrote:Because in 2025 it will be in USA and I asked what sort of impact in local Union we can expect. The topic went to another direction, but it was there to hear if this can affect USA's Union somehow.

You were spot on. But the mod merged those two topics. Now he made the next wrong decision (in my eyes as a certified community manager) to now put everything in this thread.
I just posted here about it, too. Just because we used this thread for everything Rugby League related und the USRugby-thread will move on back to Union news. Still the impact on US Rugby is really important. But this thread is more about the impact on general Rugby League.

Would be nice to just go back to where we were before any moderation
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 22 Nov 2016, 11:54

Yeah, well, I complained there but nobody answered.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 23 Nov 2016, 10:05

victorsra wrote:Yeah, well, I complained there but nobody answered.

He know that in the USRugby-thread, by saying sorry. Fair enough. Let's move on.

I do think, that this is actually the last chance of Rugby League to become an international game. Will it have a long term effect? I highely doubt it. The US squad in 2013 had just two players who were born in the USA and still resided there. Five additional guys living in the USA, but all of them not citizens (might be wrong about one or two). Did not check the birth places of all the Australian based players, but it says a lot.

The US public won't buy it, if they don't have Americans playing for the USA. And this will be the big problem. Might they be successful to lure Union players over for the RLWC?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 25 Nov 2016, 01:47

I think the big problem for the RL World Cup is going to be branding. I know a lot of League people who hate the sport being called rugby, but then again they might not have much of a choice because trying to explain the difference between the two isn't always as easy as it seems, hell even down here in Melbourne people call Rugby League 'Rugby' because to them it's more or less the same sport. Plenty of people support both the Melbourne Storm and Melbourne Rebels. And if they do go with promoting it as rugby they are going to run into the problem of explaining to people why the All Blacks aren't coming. If there's one rugby brand that is know globally it's the All Blacks, no other rugby team could sell out Soldier Field other than New Zealand. So, the dilemma is it's easier to promote a RL world cup as a rugby world cup, but they don't have the selling point of the All Blacks, or even the lesser brands of the Springboks, Wallabies, Pumas, England and Ireland. The Kangaroos have little brand value in Australia let along the rest of the world, except for maybe in the UK, so it's not exactly like that's going to help. I don't know what the plan is, but I'm curious to find out.

Previous

Return to Other subjects