Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Re: 2023 Rugby World Cup Host

Postby jservuk » Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 21:48

The game may be afoot ... Rugby League "World" Cup 2021 maybe going to Dubai

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/rugby-league/uae-will-bid-for-league-world-cup-to-be-held-in-2021

Perhaps its a cheap attempt to try and beat FIFA to the middle east - Dubai is a whore .. you put enough money up it'll host anything.

Question for Rugby Union is will this affect their plans for 2023? Will it force them to think expansion rather than consolidation?

Regarding France bidding for 2023, they've just spent billions upgrading stadia for Euro 2016, so it's no surprise they want to use that gleaming new collection of super stadia to the max.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 17 Apr 2015, 23:21

That RL story can't be serious.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 18 Apr 2015, 06:03

Since when have international rugby league tournaments been a serious topic?
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Rugby League World Cup

Postby victorsra » Mon, 20 Apr 2015, 22:49

Yes, I am starting a topic here about a sport many here may hate :twisted: :lol:

RLIF has anounced the format of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup Qualifiers. The competition will be in Australia and New Zealand with 14 teams.

Teams Already Qualified: Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, France, Fiji and Samoa
European Qualy: 3 places
Asia/Pacific: 2
Africa/Middle East: 1
Americas: 1

Asia/Pacific:
Oct 30th 2015: South Africa vs Lebanon, in Dubai - winner Qualifies for RLWC

Europe
Preliminary:
May 9th 2015 – Latvia vs Spain, in Riga

Europe C:
Sept 26th - Latvia/Spain vs Malta, TBD
Oct 10th 2015 - Malta vs Greece, in Marsa
Oct 17th - Greece vs Spain/Latvia, in Athens
Champions advance to Europe A

Europe B

In 2014:
Serbia 40 vs 14 Ukraine, in Nis
Russia 24 vs 18 Ukraine, in Vereya
Russia 20 vs 6 Serbia, in Narofominsk
Italy 54 vs 12 Ukraine, in Gemona di Friuli
Italy 22 vs 18 Rússia, in em Gemona di Friuli
Serbia 45 vs 6 Italy, in Belgrad

In 2015:
May 16th 2015 – Serbia vs Russia, in Belgrad
Jun 20th 2015 – Italy vs Serbia, in Gemona di Friuli
Jun 27th 2015 – Ukraine vs Russia, TBA
Jul 18th 2015 – Ukraine vs Italy, in Kiev
Sept 12th 2015 – Russia vs Italy, in Moscow
Sept 12th 2015 – Ukraine vs Serbia, in Uzhgorod
3 best teams advance to Europe A

Europe A - 2016
2 groups of 3 teams
Wales and Ireland already qualified.
Group winners qualifies for RLWC
Runners-ups play for last place in RLWC on Nov 5th 2016

Asia/Pacifc
Unknown. Posibly Papua New Guinea, Tonga, Cook Islands and Japan.

Americas
Unknown - Posibly USA, Canada and Jamaica

Any tips?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Rugby League World Cup

Postby iul » Mon, 20 Apr 2015, 23:23

*spits*

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 10:19

:lol: 14 World Cups and all of them hosted by Australia, NZ, Britain or France. Of course, only the last four have been real World Cups. Prior to that they just had a points system leading to a final. Australia have won 10/14 World Cups, Britain 3 and New Zealand 1. France is the only other team to have ever made the final - though not since the 1960s.

Mentioned before that Lebanon only has 8 teams (but is ranked 21st in the world). A quick google on a few other teams likely to be involved in the qualifiers tells me Serbia (ranked 13th in the world) only has 100 players, Greece (ranked 23rd) only has five clubs and Latvia (ranked 33rd) only began playing the game six years ago. The latter's last hit-out resulted in a 0-112 defeat at the hands of Ukraine. :lol:

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 10:30

My favorite team is Italy, who went to the last RWC with a team entirely made out of Australians and sponsored by a bar in Sydney :lol:. One has to wonder why doesn't RE/WR/each local union register "rugby" as a trademark and deny the mungos the possibility of associating themselves with our name.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 12:34

Of course, there's a little bit of the same thing going on in rugby, but only way down the tail end of the rankings these days, or with teams that are not actually full members of World Rugby, and therefore unranked. Lebanon, who just beat Iran and trounced Jordan with a team full of duel nationality foreigners, is a good example. They have roughly an equal number of local union and league players (and I suspect some of them are actually the same people). But in union they're unranked, probably not among the top 70 teams, and are light years away from ever playing at the World Cup. In league they are ranked 21st in the world, and have already played at the World Cup. That's the difference between the two codes.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 14:16

I have always thought that League would suit Africa over Union.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 21 Apr 2015, 15:42

I have always thought that League would suit Africa over Union.

Any reason? In New Zealand it's a Polynesian-dominated sport, while during the amateur era union was disproportionately European-dominated. That's changed since professionalism, particularly with the huge influx of Pacific Islanders. I wonder if league could catch on with the non-white majority in SA...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Apr 2015, 04:45

What makes me more curious is Serbia, Russia and Ukraine. Specially Serbian RL, that started in Yuguslav times. Is it really stronger in Serbia than Union? Who plays rugby league there? I am not sure about such small number of players ad official numbers are always problematic.

And what about Russia/Ukraine? Does RL started in Soviet times or after that? If it was after, why some clubs were converted from Union to League (as far as I know that happened)?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 22 Apr 2015, 07:47

I am pretty sure the numbers are that low. Rugby league outside of half a dozen countries is simply a farce. It relies on almost non-existent eligibility laws, World Cups full of teams full of foreign players, and domestic competitions in which players, teams and entire clubs will switch from union to league and back again, depending on where the best opportunities lie. It doesn't matter to league that the whole thing is a charade. The only objective is to combat the image of union's status as the genuine international code. The pretence of league even having a global following was only spurred by the spectacular success of the rugby World Cup. Prior to that, league had no interest whatsoever in expanding its own game abroad. Why should it? But suddenly millions of people in the league hotbeds of Australia's East Coast, England's North-East and Auckland, New Zealand, were watching this contest of a rival code, pitting teams from every continent against one another in an enthralling smorgasbord of genuine international competition, and league had nothing to offer by comparison. Thus the superiority complex it had enjoyed in Sydney, Brisbane, Yorkshire and Lancashire for many decades in the pre-Rugby World Cup/pre-Satellite TV age abruptly gave way to a distinct sense of inferiority in terms of its international status.

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 22 Apr 2015, 10:44

I think in a lot of countries like Jamaica players play cross codes because there isn't much rugby played, so they are happy to play both 13 and 15s

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Wed, 22 Apr 2015, 17:30

Rugby league is a simpler game to play, though still very physical. It also emphazises running rugby over forward play which is one of Africas downfalls. It is a quicker game and with less slow downs due to scrums it suits the spectators mentality more too.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 22 Apr 2015, 20:52

There is some league played in NL, but not very seriously. I think a lot of players who play league also play union. I know some guys at the club I played at played some league during the summer, but just for fun really. Wikipedia has a list of players who have played for the Dutch rugby league national team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherland ... etherlands and some of them have also played for Oranje - Cyril Breinburg, Benjamin Blom, Vincent Grimbergen - and others play for union clubs but havent made the national team. I dont have the feeling that league is the "enemy" here, just an under-nourished little brother.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 22 Apr 2015, 21:46

Sables4EVA wrote:Rugby league is a simpler game to play, though still very physical. It also emphazises running rugby over forward play which is one of Africas downfalls. It is a quicker game and with less slow downs due to scrums it suits the spectators mentality more too.

Oh, sure, the style of play. Scrummaging is perhaps the most important aspect of the game, but probably the one that players from non-traditional rugby nations are the least interested in, unfortunately. That's why we've got Kenya coming through in sevens but nobody really emerging in XVs, I guess. So probably that's the best way to approaching developing the game in Africa - through 7s. World Rugby ought to make this one of its major priorities. I don't think it would take much to get a few more nations up to speed. The likes of Nigeria, Senegal and Madagascar, for example, could easily be developed into world-class 7s nations if they were invested in to the same level as Brazil has been lately. This, in turn, would have a positive spin-off effect for the orthodox version of the game by drawing more players to the clubs and increasing player numbers.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 23 Apr 2015, 05:16

I Have always thought a continental sevens championship like the Asian one would benefit all forms of rugby within Africa. After watching the African 7s last year in Harare there is evidence it would be very competitive. But that is for a different thread.

There is a perception that Union followers hate League and vice versa, I don't fall into that category, I love all forms of rugby (and I also enjoy cricket, soccer and water polo) and I think both forms of the game can benefit from each other. Sevens could lead to League (I know league has their own form of sevens.) and with more people playing any form of rugby it will increase interest across the board.

In Africa, the satellite TV provider, Supersport, has probably the best Union coverage in the world. We get live feeds of all the major NH competitions (bar the Pro 12) and the ITM cup, the new Aus competition, the Top league from Japan and of course all South African competitions. It is also very rare for an international involving the top sides to not be screened. But never is there any airtime for League. This is despite South Africa being the only country with a League side. I think if it was given some airtime it might garner some interest.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 23 Apr 2015, 08:37

I don't hate league, itself. I've played it and used to watch it. I simply find its global pretentions ludicrous - almost childish, in fact. There are no more than six countries with a credible domestic rugby league competition. The rest is mickey mouse.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 23 Apr 2015, 14:43

Rowan wrote:I don't hate league, itself. I've played it and used to watch it. I simply find its global pretentions ludicrous - almost childish, in fact. There are no more than six countries with a credible domestic rugby league competition. The rest is mickey mouse.

That is one of the downsides to League and further to that only 1 country in the world really takes it seriously.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 23 Apr 2015, 15:00

I think that a good game of 13s is better than a bad game of 15s but both games have too much of big men just boshing into another big man followed by a kick after 5 boshes in the case of RL or lack of ideas in 15s. At least 15s has line-outs, mauls, rucks and proper scrums to mix it up. And why is 13s full of that ground humping thing after being tackled :lol: its a cynical attempt to get a penalty?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Apr 2015, 23:19

I am pretty sure the numbers are that low. Rugby league outside of half a dozen countries is simply a farce. It relies on almost non-existent eligibility laws, World Cups full of teams full of foreign players, and domestic competitions in which players, teams and entire clubs will switch from union to league and back again, depending on where the best opportunities lie. It doesn't matter to league that the whole thing is a charade. The only objective is to combat the image of union's status as the genuine international code. The pretence of league even having a global following was only spurred by the spectacular success of the rugby World Cup. Prior to that, league had no interest whatsoever in expanding its own game abroad. Why should it? But suddenly millions of people in the league hotbeds of Australia's East Coast, England's North-East and Auckland, New Zealand, were watching this contest of a rival code, pitting teams from every continent against one another in an enthralling smorgasbord of genuine international competition, and league had nothing to offer by comparison. Thus the superiority complex it had enjoyed in Sydney, Brisbane, Yorkshire and Lancashire for many decades in the pre-Rugby World Cup/pre-Satellite TV age abruptly gave way to a distinct sense of inferiority in terms of its international status.

So you enforced my doubts, because your answer was just common sense ans stereotype! Rugby League arrived in Serbia in 1953 and there is a couple of players born in Serbia and playing in England. Of course maybe Union is bigger there (although also tiny), but again, I would like some true evidence... and perhaps a Serb to answer!

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 27 Apr 2015, 07:39

victorsra wrote:So you enforced my doubts, because your answer was just common sense ans stereotype! Rugby League arrived in Serbia in 1953 and there is a couple of players born in Serbia and playing in England. Of course maybe Union is bigger there (although also tiny), but again, I would like some true evidence... and perhaps a Serb to answer!

The Serbia Rugby League website at www.ragbiliga.rs/sr/index.htm

They promise an English language version soon.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 27 Apr 2015, 07:57

:?:
common sense ans stereotype!
:?:

Is 'stereotype' the latest scare-word on this forum? It's not even being applied correctly. What I provided was a brief account of league's global charade and its underlying causes, and included some statistics taken from perfectly creditable sources such as Wikipedia and the concerned governing sports bodies' own public web-sites. Nothing 'stereotypical' about it.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 27 Apr 2015, 21:57

Well, I asked about Serbia and not about rugby league is supposed to be around the world. I said I am not sure that Serbia fills properly in the common idea of the artificial rugby league national teams and you answered that you are pretty sure because rugby league is artificial around the world. Come on, dude.

And I questioned exactly how official numbers are related to reality. Be sure most of the official numbers of national unions in wikipedia are doubtful. Either because they want to say something is bigger than it is or because they have poor tools and problematic methods to calculate it, relying just on the average number of players their more structured clubs have. Do you believe in the 6,6 milions players that World Rugby says Rugby Union has? It would be silly. World Rugby asks the national unions that give them any random numbers. Usualy they never did a proper census. Imagine in rugby league! It might be true the 1000 thousand rugby league players of Serbia, but I want to understand it beyond this simple number, as they are playing that odd game for more than 50 years! It looks a different situation than the Australian-Italy national team, for exemple.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 27 Apr 2015, 22:57

I suspect we may be talking at cross-purposes here. The figure I gave for Serbian rugby league was actually very low - 100 - and that was off their own Wiki page (presumably taken from their own web-site). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_in_Serbia- Even Turkey has more rugby union players than that. The page also tells us that league was abolished throughout Yugoslavia in the early 60s and the clubs were forced to play union. Rugby league competition was only revived in Serbia 14 years ago. So that tells us a lot about rugby league's 13th-ranked international team...

As for union's numbers, I agree there are probably exaggerations and wild guesses here too. But 6'6 million might not be too far wide of the mark. Probably England accounts for about a third of them, the British Isles and Ireland combined about half, and the SANZAR trio collectively at least a million more. What is for certain, is that the figure is vastly superior to league's - which probably has well under a million world-wide, and 95% of those in Australia, NZ & England.

Next

Return to Other subjects