Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby League World Cup

Postby victorsra » Mon, 08 Feb 2016, 21:40

I understand the self suffiency argument, but the fact is: it is not self sufficient now and it doesn't look that close to be so... may men's WC would help the women's WC with the necessary boost to become self sufficient soon.

Imagine in 2015. England is out of the men's tournament but the womens team advances and got the cup. I bet MUCH more people would be watching it. Maybe a full Twickenham in the final (one or two days before men's final), because national pride would be in another level, helping the womens team.

About schedule, if the womens tournament is shorter, just use days without mens matches or with less mens matches.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 12 Feb 2016, 02:25

I think the girls deserve to have their own tournament independent of the mens.

Regarding the RL world cup, I don't know where they are going to find enough players for 16 teams, even in 5 years time there's not enough money in the international game to get the standards up to a competitive level. The problem in class with RL is worse than it is in Rugby, with Australia and New Zealand well a head of England, who are well ahead of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG, who are well ahead of France and everyone else. There's barely enough quality international players to fill half a dozen teams let alone 16. I can only assume they are going retain the tiered pool system they've been using for the past few world cups. There's no point in having Australia, New Zealand and England in separate pools, the pool stage will become nothing more than a formality.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 19 Jul 2016, 11:37

Rugby League world cup draw has been finalised:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/07/19/ru ... -snubbing/

A truly bizarre spread of matches, only 2 games in Sydney, none of which are finals, no matches in rugby league heartlands of Western Sydney, Newcastle, Gosford, Gold Coast or Wollongong, a series of double headed matches in Perth, Townsville and Cairns, a quarter final in Darwin that's right in the middle of the wet season, and surprisingly Mt Smart Stadium over Eden Park as the Auckland venue. This reeks of a tournament with zero confidence in itself.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 27 Jul 2016, 00:27

RLWC when played in Oceania just be restricted to just one region, because it is obvious that England and Oceania will receive it every 8 years. They don't need more than 6 or 8 venues, specially because minor nations can play in double-rounds.

Exemple:
- New Zealand only
- Queensland
- NSW
- Rest of Australia/PNG

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 17 Sep 2016, 15:04

Canada wants to host the RLWC in 2021 http://theprovince.com/sports/rugby/van ... ld-cup-bid

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 18 Oct 2016, 10:41

World Cup qualifications, last saturday

Wales v Serbia 50-0
Russia v Spain 40-6

The whole matches, if someone is interested
https://vimeo.com/187549144
https://vimeo.com/187617111

Pool A: Wales 2, Italia 0, Serbia 0
Pool B: Russia 2, Ireland 0, Spain 0

This saturday there's Serbia v Italy in Belgrade, with Mirco Bergamasco in the italian squad

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 09:16

Searching news about the incoming match of Italy, I've been impressed by a result of the last weekend: Ireland v Jamaica 16-68.
I don't know if the irish team was the best one but it should have been, because they are preparing the world cup qualification matches. And Ireland is sixth in the world ranking!
League is more internationally active than what I thought; last week there was also a match between Vanuatu and Solomon. In rugby union these two nations have no played a match this year.

In the incoming weekend there are three test matches; the last two are part of the World Cup qualifiers and will be live streamed

Friday, 18.30 GMT: Wales v Jamaica
Saturday, 11.00 GMT: Spain v Ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4DNY3Q9dNs
Saturday, 13.00 GMT: Serbia v Italy http://www.sportuzivo.tv/v2/stream/inde ... portuzivo1

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 20 Oct 2016, 09:22

Ireland had a team of locals while "Jamaica" were a bunch of Englishmen dressed in Jamaican kit.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 07:32

Another result from the weekend:
Germany V WALES DRAGONHEARTS 32:40 (16:16) in Osnabrück

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/artic ... in-germany
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Fri, 04 Nov 2016, 10:16

The last ticket to the World Championship Rugby League.

http://www.rugbyleagueplanet.com/2017-r ... ia-preview

Russia - Italy. Today at 20.00 in England and at 23.00 Moscow time)

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/rQeYYztLYZq

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Vova12 » Sat, 05 Nov 2016, 21:40

With the Italians we would have wrested, but with the Australians have had no chance.

0 - 76. :(

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 06 Nov 2016, 20:00

I think league should award tries with five points and conversions with just one. To give more value to a try and also to avoid those boring (to me) always-even scores: 24-16, 18-22, 40-26…
Leaguers tend to exalt the spectacular aspect of their sport, it's strange that they are still tied to this antiquate points system

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 06:46

I don't really mind if Rugby League has a world cup, but it's kind of ridiculous the amount of Australian players in these teams. I think the Italian team was full of Australian born players, which makes it virtually impossible for teams like Russia to compete. But RL just has this fear of their world championship being laughed at so they stack these teams with as many Australian, New Zealand and English players s they can, but the stupid thing is those players who can also be picked for Australia, New Zealand and England. I know rugby isn't perfect with its eligibility rules, but it's lightyears better than RL.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 16:22

thatrugbyguy wrote:I don't really mind if Rugby League has a world cup, but it's kind of ridiculous the amount of Australian players in these teams. I think the Italian team was full of Australian born players, which makes it virtually impossible for teams like Russia to compete. But RL just has this fear of their world championship being laughed at so they stack these teams with as many Australian, New Zealand and English players s they can, but the stupid thing is those players who can also be picked for Australia, New Zealand and England. I know rugby isn't perfect with its eligibility rules, but it's lightyears better than RL.

Went to the world cup opener in Wales in 2013.
England vs. Australia and Australia B (Italy) vs. England B (Wales). There was not a single Italian player in the "Italian" team and maybe 3,4 Welsh in the "Wales" team. Same story could be told about all the other nations apart from PNG, France, NZ, Australia and England.

There was Australia C (USA), England C (Scotland), England D (Ireland), Combined ANZ A (Samoa), Combined ANZ B (Tonga), Australia D (Cookies), hell even Fiji seemed to just be made up of Ozzies if you look at the squad.

Still good fun, but if a complete neutral like me realizes it is basically England against Australia with the honorable addition of New Zealand, what do die-hard-league-fans think about it?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 16:51

RugbyLiebe wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:I don't really mind if Rugby League has a world cup, but it's kind of ridiculous the amount of Australian players in these teams. I think the Italian team was full of Australian born players, which makes it virtually impossible for teams like Russia to compete. But RL just has this fear of their world championship being laughed at so they stack these teams with as many Australian, New Zealand and English players s they can, but the stupid thing is those players who can also be picked for Australia, New Zealand and England. I know rugby isn't perfect with its eligibility rules, but it's lightyears better than RL.

England vs. Australia and Australia B (Italy) vs. England B (Wales). There was not a single Italian player in the "Italian" team

Now the things are completely changed; in the italian team against Russia there was one italian player

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 08 Nov 2016, 04:08

RugbyLiebe wrote:
England vs. Australia and Australia B (Italy) vs. England B (Wales). There was not a single Italian player in the "Italian" team and maybe 3,4 Welsh in the "Wales" team. Same story could be told about all the other nations apart from PNG, France, NZ, Australia and England.

There was Australia C (USA), England C (Scotland), England D (Ireland), Combined ANZ A (Samoa), Combined ANZ B (Tonga), Australia D (Cookies), hell even Fiji seemed to just be made up of Ozzies if you look at the squad.

Still good fun, but if a complete neutral like me realizes it is basically England against Australia with the honorable addition of New Zealand, what do die-hard-league-fans think about it?

It's actually Australia and New Zealand with England being the honourable mention. I grew up watching RL and have friends who follow the game. There seems to be a mixed reaction to this. On one hand RL fans crave the competitiveness of the Rugby World Cup and how big it's become, on the other hand they know it's hard to make a competition look legitimate when most of the players are coming from three nations in 2 professional leagues. If the tier 2 teams were to only have domestic players the score lines would be even bigger than what they actually are. The RL world cup doesn't have enough skilled players globally to fill 10 national teams, let alone 16. That's not a case of me saying that because I prefer rugby, I don't have the animosity towards RL like some rugby fans do, but that's just the cold, hard reality.

On the international stage the game is trying to run before it can walk, and what investment they have place into expanding the game is not going far enough to overcome the clear short comings of the World Cup. Pools are unevenly balanced to avoid blow outs and small nations are filled with NRL and Super League players to give the illusion of competitiveness. I've said this before, but if Rugby League wants to have a successful international scene and a World Cup that isn't called into question the game needs to spend the time, money and resources to do it, but that is something that will takes tens of millions of dollars and a good 15-20 years to yield results. League is looking for a quick bandaid solution for their international game, and everybody knows it.

And nothing says that more than the IRLF wanting to host the world cup in the US. Why they are trying to host the World cup in the US is beyond me. There are a handful of clubs, few juniors and little support. The arrogance of some of the Rugby League fans and administrators I've encountered is they simply believe all they have to do is show the game to the US audience and they'll fall in love with the game, that they have the better version of rugby, completely dismissing the fact that rugby in the US has well over a hundred thousand players, numerous clubs, and is now one of the fastest growing sports in the country. Which rugby game is the better one is purely subjective, Americans might like it, but they also are just as likely to prefer rugby union. For as long as I've been around rugby league areas, and western Sydney is basically the stronghold of the game in NSW, the attitude in the community is 'We're the better sport, it should be us, not them'.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: USA Rugby

Postby victorsra » Sun, 20 Nov 2016, 22:45

USA and Canada will host the 2025 Rugby League World Cup: http://www.nrl.com/usa-and-canada-to-ho ... fault.aspx

What sort of impact do you believe this can produce on local Union?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 20 Nov 2016, 22:59

It still baffles my mind they are going through with this. There's little development of League in the US, on top of that it's going to have to be played during the middle of the NFL season, the only feasible time to play it is from mid-late October. I really hope for their sake the people who proposed this to the IRLF haven't bitten off more than they can chew and have over promised things, but I can't help but think the organiser are going to purposely try and mislead people into thinking it's the Rugby World Cup. Rugby League has done nothing but try and take shortcuts with its international game and this smell like more of the same. I will say this, I think if anything this makes a USA 2027 RWC more and more likely to happen.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:06

thatrugbyguy wrote:It still baffles my mind they are going through with this. There's little development of League in the US, on top of that it's going to have to be played during the middle of the NFL season, the only feasible time to play it is from mid-late October. I really hope for their sake the people who proposed this to the IRLF haven't bitten off more than they can chew and have over promised things, but I can't help but think the organiser are going to purposely try and mislead people into thinking it's the Rugby World Cup. Rugby League has done nothing but try and take shortcuts with its international game and this smell like more of the same. I will say this, I think if anything this makes a USA 2027 RWC more and more likely to happen.

Unbelievable but to be honest the last straw for Rugby League in the USA to take off. If this makes RWC 2027 in the USA more likely, that is a good thing.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:09

The USA and Canada it is ;-)

http://www.nrl.com/usa-and-canada-to-ho ... fault.aspx

Think I didn't tell the story how I came to watch the Rugby League World Cup opener in Cardiff. Birthday present by my wife, who thought this was the Rugby World Cup :lol:
Had a great time there, but boy was she disappointed when she realized, this was not the sport I love so much.

This could happen a lot around the USA in 2025.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:27

Perhaps, I just don't get how they can get the level of support needed within 9 years to make it successful. And the timing is just awful, at least the RWC can be moved to June/July to avoid the NFL, RLWC can only be played in mid-late October right in the middle of the NFL season. The plan they have is either brilliant and will work, or they are just throwing darts blindly and hoping to hit something. Knowing the history of RL the later seems the more likely. Few clubs, little junior development, and a tiny support base. Maybe the US posters can chime in here.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:27

RugbyLiebe wrote:
thatrugbyguy wrote:It still baffles my mind they are going through with this. There's little development of League in the US, on top of that it's going to have to be played during the middle of the NFL season, the only feasible time to play it is from mid-late October. I really hope for their sake the people who proposed this to the IRLF haven't bitten off more than they can chew and have over promised things, but I can't help but think the organiser are going to purposely try and mislead people into thinking it's the Rugby World Cup. Rugby League has done nothing but try and take shortcuts with its international game and this smell like more of the same. I will say this, I think if anything this makes a USA 2027 RWC more and more likely to happen.

Unbelievable but to be honest the last straw for Rugby League in the USA to take off. If this makes RWC 2027 in the USA more likely, that is a good thing.

Without any actual work on the ground to actually develop the game it will result in very little actually happening. They may get Rugby fans to show up but after the event finishes I doubt it will leave much legacy. Sixteen clubs nationwide isn't going achieve much.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:31

thatrugbyguy wrote:Perhaps, I just don't get how they can get the level of support needed within 9 years to make it successful. And the timing is just awful, at least the RWC can be moved to June/July to avoid the NFL, RLWC can only be played in mid-late October right in the middle of the NFL season. The plan they have is either brilliant and will work, or they are just throwing darts blindly and hoping to hit something. Knowing the history of RL the later seems the more likely. Few clubs, little junior development, and a tiny support base. Maybe the US posters can chime in here.

Looks like they are trying to do a WC 1994 hoping it will jump start League in the US. Problem is, in 1994 Soccer was already a popular participation sport. League is not. All these plans for WC and Pro league without actually doing the groundwork first.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:31

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Without any actual work on the ground to actually develop the game it will result in very little actually happening. They may get Rugby fans to show up but after the event finishes I doubt it will leave much legacy. Sixteen clubs nationwide isn't going achieve much.

The question I have is will rugby fans in the US show up? All Blacks, Springboks, Wallabies, Pumas, these are the brands people in the rugby circles world wide know. League only has the Kangaroos but that brand doesn't have much value even at home let alone world wide. I can only scratch my head because on paper this seems foolish.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Mon, 21 Nov 2016, 11:34

RugbyLiebe wrote:The USA and Canada it is ;-)

http://www.nrl.com/usa-and-canada-to-ho ... fault.aspx

Think I didn't tell the story how I came to watch the Rugby League World Cup opener in Cardiff. Birthday present by my wife, who thought this was the Rugby World Cup :lol:
Had a great time there, but boy was she disappointed when she realized, this was not the sport I love so much.

This could happen a lot around the USA in 2025.

This is what they're banking on.
A representative from the USA bid talked to some fans on a forum, and their whole plan is to trick rugby fans into going to watch their sport because it shares a name:
Code: Select all
http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=291230

The funny thing is that we're much more likely to reap any benefits. They have something like 20 clubs in the whole US, if any new people become interested in "rugby" as a result of this they're much more likely to end up at one of the 2600 clubs affiliated with USAR. Anyway, World Rugby should throw a spanner in the works by organizing many internationals in the US when their mickey mouse cup is happening.

PreviousNext

Return to Other subjects