Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby League World Cup

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 00:22

And the same page shows they have even U16 rugby league.

Another Wiki page shows a Serbian Championship with a decent number of clubes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_Ru ... ampionship

Can anyone traslate this? http://www.ragbiliga.rs/sr/

This is the present Serbian championship: http://www.ragbiliga.rs/sr/takmicenja/p ... tabela.htm

Maybe 100 players refers just to the league clubs. There are 6 clubs in top flight. But if they have possibly a bit more clubs and junior teams, there are certainly more players. What makes me think this unermined Serbian rugby union...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 07:27

Wikipedia is farked and full of errors.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 07:34

Well, as mentioned, they generally source the concerned national sports body's own web-site for this type of information. The Wiki page actually states 'nearly 100 players, including a junior league.' & this is the world's 13th-ranked rugby league nation. The mind boggles . . . :? :roll:
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 08:52

They have at least 6 clubs - 6 clubs with 16 or 17 man squads for a 13 man game? Do the farken math.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 10:07

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:They have at least 6 clubs - 6 clubs with 16 or 17 man squads for a 13 man game? Do the farken math.

6 X 16 = 96. There you go! There must be an average 16 players per club. Certainly sounds like a professional organization. Easy to see why they are ranked a lofty 13th in the mighty world of international rugby league :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, enough about Serbia. I just used them as a random example to show how farcical international rugby league is, and the stats I provided can be found on Wikipedia.

& going back to the point that I was originally making; it was simply that the entire charade of an international rugby league scene was created as a direct response to the spectacular success of the Rugby World Cup. Prior to this, league had no interest in even developing the game internationally whatsover. Even now, I doubt there is a genuine commitment. The ARL is responsible for most of it, and is simply doing enough to fool the ignoramuses and smokescreen union's status as the major code worldwide. :evil:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 13:45

Rugby League uses 17 men at least (4 in interchange per match), but usually the teams have the 18th or even the 19th men. Which means an average of 20-25 at least I would say for every club.

nyway, enough about Serbia. I just used them as a random example to show how farcical international rugby league is, and the stats I provided can be found on Wikipedia.

& going back to the point that I was originally making; it was simply that the entire charade of an international rugby league scene was created as a direct response to the spectacular success of the Rugby World Cup. Prior to this, league had no interest in even developing the game internationally whatsover. Even now, I doubt there is a genuine commitment. The ARL is responsible for most of it, and is simply doing enough to fool the ignoramuses and smokescreen union's status as the major code worldwide. :evil:

That's it, they tried to copy Union's World Cup. But probably the key aspect is the crisis in French Rugbya League, that made them almost non-competitive against the big three in the late 80s-90s and now. I would say if France were competitive and their team attracte attention they wouldn't fake that much the competition.

However, I would like to see some statistics showing how many players each team in RLWC since 1995 haven't played at least a couple of years in their own countries. That would show how fake it is or not. Scotland, Ireland and Italy are ridiculous, but the Pacific countries I don't blame, specially because Union is amateur in their countries and the league move is a way of playing professionaly. Honest.

I don't hate rugby league, they have a very interesting history, that's what interests me. To understand why and how (without Union's fanatism) they spread in Australia, NZ, England and France is fascinating. And that doesn't make me less Unionman.

Also if it is to be anoyed with a football code my chosen one is American Football (and all their 11 minutes of action and 3 hours of ads) :lol:

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 28 Apr 2015, 22:05

I don't hate rugby league, they have a very interesting history, that's what interests me. To understand why and how (without Union's fanatism) they spread in Australia, NZ, England and France is fascinating. And that doesn't make me less Unionman.

Couldn't agree more. League began as a form of rebellion by the downtrodden working classes and retains a vestige of that truculence in its relationship with the parent code to this day, hence the asinine pantomine of an international circuit that extends beyond half a dozen nations - which is the sole basis of my annoyance with the code.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Mon, 04 May 2015, 03:27

Rowan wrote:League began as a form of rebellion by the downtrodden working classes and retains a vestige of that truculence in its relationship with the parent code to this day, hence the asinine pantomine of an international circuit that extends beyond half a dozen nations - which is the sole basis of my annoyance with the code.

Not quite right.

The reason league started in both England and Australia was due to the governing bodies of rugby union in both countries not wanting to cover the costs of injury to people. While people who didn't work or worked in sedentary jobs weren't largely affected by injury picked up on the footy paddock on a weekend, people who worked as labourers, tradesmen or other active jobs were largely affected, especially since it would be a case of no work=no pay. The "rebellion" was to provide an insurance to players that injuries and time off work would be compensated.

It didn't help that in England, the private school elite wanted to reclaim rugby as there own, away from the working class north, and made up the myth about William Webb Ellis (which is why I hate that the world cup trophy is named after a myth that was borne out of pure snobbery).

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 04 May 2015, 08:27

The reason league started in both England and Australia was due to the governing bodies of rugby union in both countries not wanting to cover the costs of injury to people. While people who didn't work or worked in sedentary jobs weren't largely affected by injury picked up on the footy paddock on a weekend, people who worked as labourers, tradesmen or other active jobs were largely affected, especially since it would be a case of no work=no pay. The "rebellion" was to provide an insurance to players that injuries and time off work would be compensated.

Not sure how that contradicts my previous comments, but thanks for the additional details.

It didn't It didn't help that in England, the private school elite wanted to reclaim rugby as there own, away from the working class north, and made up the myth about William Webb Ellis (which is why I hate that the world cup trophy is named after a myth that was borne out of pure snobbery).

Couldn't agree more. The idea that Webb-Ellis was the first person to ever 'pick up a ball and run with it' is as absurd as the notion of a global rugby league scene...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 05 May 2015, 22:39

About Rugby's split historian Tony Colins has a remarkable work, Rugby's Great Split.

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby chetnik » Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:14

Maybe I can help clear things up since I have represented Serbian rugby league many times and are heavily involved in the development of the game... We currently have 17 adult clubs... We have 6 under 18 T
teams and have recently just undertaken a project that has seen 250 new participants aged between 14-16 begin playing the game in a new school league. We also have regular under 16 and under 18 international games... We also have 2 women teams and a women national team... We have 5 players playing professional in France with hopefully more in the next few years.... We play with 100% domestic players for our national team games... Compare this to union... They have 2 adult teams playing and a pretty embarrassing national team... The IRB pumped a lot of money into Serbian rugby union and have failed... Serbian rugby league has worked with extremely limited funds and is growing and developing extremely well... It is probably true that Serbia is the only nation in the world where league is stronger than union... Some of the comments on this board are extremely ignorant, and people should do a bit more research before talking absolute rubbish. I hope this helps the people who are actually interested.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 28 May 2015, 15:28

Yes, thanks for sharing that, Chetnik. Somebody needs to update your (Serbian rugby league's) Wiki page then. In fact, I seem to recall accessing the league's own web site as well. We can only go with the information that is available to us.

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby chetnik » Thu, 28 May 2015, 20:13

Rowan wrote:Yes, thanks for sharing that, Chetnik. Somebody needs to update your (Serbian rugby league's) Wiki page then. In fact, I seem to recall accessing the league's own web site as well. We can only go with the information that is available to us.

Yes! Your probably right... It does need updating!

P.s. here's a pretty cool video of Serbia scoring a try in the last play of the game to beat Russia for the first time in 8 attempts... You can see the passion in the players and fans and this is a sport that will continue to grow in Serbia. Unfortunately union is dying here... our aim is to do something similar to Georgia... Have a fairly strong domestic comp but send our boys abroad to France to develop them faster.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 28 May 2015, 21:51

Did you forget to add the link?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 28 May 2015, 22:08

NedRugby wrote:Did you forget to add the link?

I was wondering about that myself.

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby chetnik » Fri, 29 May 2015, 06:54

Yes I did haha... Here you go http://youtu.be/5SbI8s9dvGs

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 29 May 2015, 08:33

Thanks, Chetnik. I think that brief clip, the venue and the size of the crowd all go a long way toward showing just how much of a world game rugby league truly is, given Serbia is currently its 14th-ranked team. :thumbup:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 30 May 2015, 12:25

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:They have at least 6 clubs - 6 clubs with 16 or 17 man squads for a 13 man game? Do the farken math.

I want to clarify that this post was to say the figure of 100 quoted was far too low given that at least 6 clubs play in a league calendar and they must have reserves.

Postby 4N » Sun, 31 May 2015, 20:47

chetnik wrote:our aim is to do something similar to Georgia... Have a fairly strong domestic comp but send our boys abroad to France to develop them faster.

Sounds a bit fanciful. 30000 people show up in Tbilisi to watch Georgia play relatively unfancied opposition, in rugby union terms. The public embraced the sport en masse very early on. RL has been played in Serbia/Yugoslavia for what, 50 years, and shows little sign of capturing the imaginations of Serbs. In fact you could argue league has failed to catch on anywhere outside of its early strongholds.

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby chetnik » Mon, 01 Jun 2015, 11:54

4N wrote:
chetnik wrote:our aim is to do something similar to Georgia... Have a fairly strong domestic comp but send our boys abroad to France to develop them faster.

Sounds a bit fanciful. 30000 people show up in Tbilisi to watch Georgia play relatively unfancied opposition, in rugby union terms. The public embraced the sport en masse very early on. RL has been played in Serbia/Yugoslavia for what, 50 years, and shows little sign of capturing the imaginations of Serbs. In fact you could argue league has failed to catch on anywhere outside of its early strongholds.

Sorry, I don't understand what you are talking about.... Rugby league has been played in Serbia since 2001... Rugby league and union are two different sports.. You can't really compare the two... I came on here to give information to the people who werent sure of the state of RL in Serbia... But if you want to compare the two codes within Serbia then rugby league beats union in every aspect... Rugby league is way behind union in terms of a global game... Everybody knows that, so I don't understand why so many people want to have a little dig... To me it seems that you're a bit worried about rugby league? After all rugby union is becoming more and more boring to watch... Globally rugby league can only get better.... More and more nations are beginning to play league, even though it is at a low level....

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 01 Jun 2015, 15:28

After all rugby union is becoming more and more boring to watch...

Funny you should say that, because to me it seems more and more like league. This is not the way rugby was played during my youth, when it was still amateur. Things then revolved largely around the strategical passing and kicking of the flyhalf. Now it just seems like smash it up with the biggest, hard-running backs you can find, in a simple war of attrition. One thing about union that really bores me are the endless attempts to crash the ball over from the back of a ruck or maul just short of the opposition's line. When they show that on the highlights reels it just makes me cringe. As for having a 'dig' at league, if they want to put on a 14 or 16-team "World Cup" when there are only half a dozen teams of reasonable standard, then they deserve all the flak they get. My view, as stated earlier, is that the primary reason for doing this was to try and rival the successful rugby union tournament to nullify the 15-man game's image is the major international code. They might have fooled a few of the fans in league-mad Sydney or Brisbane, but to the rest of us it's just a joke. That's not intended as a slight on any of the teams involved, of course.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 04 Jun 2015, 18:49

But if you want to compare the two codes within Serbia then rugby league beats union in every aspect...

Interesting, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks, chetnik!

Is there any link between the guys that started RL in 2001 with the guys that played RL in the region during Yugoslavia times?

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby chetnik » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 08:49

victorsra wrote:
But if you want to compare the two codes within Serbia then rugby league beats union in every aspect...

Interesting, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks, chetnik!

Is there any link between the guys that started RL in 2001 with the guys that played RL in the region during Yugoslavia times?

When rugby league re-established there weren't any major links with the players from the 50's however, close contact was kept with those players and some have been involved with minor roles... We recently mourned the passing of one of the pioneers of Serbian RL, Budimir Tomanovic... Read here http://www.rlef.eu.com/news/article/100 ... e-mark-the also one more interesting read that I just found is here it's from 2012... So a bit dated but still interesting http://www.rugbyleagueinternationalscor ... k-at-this/
Last edited by chetnik on Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby gambass » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 10:31

chetnik wrote: They have 2 adult teams playing and a pretty embarrassing national team...

http://rugbyserbia.com/wp-content/uploa ... -grupa.pdf

It seems like they have 7 adult teams playing in a two tier competition. Not a lot obviously, but still better than 2...

National Flag:
SerbiaSerbia

Postby chetnik » Mon, 08 Jun 2015, 13:14

gambass wrote:
chetnik wrote: They have 2 adult teams playing and a pretty embarrassing national team...

http://rugbyserbia.com/wp-content/uploa ... -grupa.pdf

It seems like they have 7 adult teams playing in a two tier competition. Not a lot obviously, but still better than 2...

Sorry, that is what they claim to have... They actually only 3 and a half clubs!

PreviousNext

Return to Other subjects