Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby League World Cup

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Rugby League World Cup

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Thu, 11 Jun 2015, 07:15

I dont think it really matters if every country in the World doesnt play Rugby League, but to call International Rugby League a farce is going a bit over the top. Rugby league is a fantastic sport and you may be interested to know that New Zealand is ranked number one in the World.

Rugby League held its first World Cup in 1952. Rugby Union's first World Cup was in 1987.

By the way seven more sleeps till State of Origin II. Go Queensland.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 11 Jun 2015, 12:01

Always enjoyed State of Origin myself. But league only began to stage a proper World Cup in 1995, and, once again, largely in response to rugby union's success.

No, it doesn't matter that not every country in the world plays rugby league. It's the propaganda that suggests it is a global game that is a farce - not the sport itself.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Fri, 12 Jun 2015, 22:38

Any tournament that is competed for between different nations sounds pretty much like it could be described as International.
I'd of thought that the powers that be in the game of Rugby League are entitled to describe their sport any way they see fit, after all it is their sport.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Fri, 12 Jun 2015, 23:14

So, for example, a Lebanese team comprised entirely of Aussies competing at a World Cup is okay by you? How about a New Zealand team competing alongside a Maori team at the same tournament to make up the numbers? :roll:

If so, we'll just have to agree to disagree. :thumbdown:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Fri, 12 Jun 2015, 23:57

It doesnt/wouldnt worry me in the slightest. in fact I applaud it.

The contribution the Lebanese make to Rugby league is massive, If John Elias wants to call himself Lebanese I wouldnt try to stop him, whether he be in Oberon or Lebanon makes no difference. the Lebanese community in Sydney is very proud and staunch, Young Lebanese kids outnumber any other ethnic background playing League in those big Western Sydney suburbs like Canterbury/Bankstown/Punchbowl etc. For Lebanese Australians to play for Lebanon is an issue of Nationhood, their genes are in the Old Country, and they play with massive pride for the Old country. Idont think anyone should criticise or minimise their heritage, and to dismiss them as just "making up the numbers" is missing a lot of what these people proudly represent.

Lebanese players who have played for South Sydney have on a number of occassions mentioned how the Rabbitohs colours (Red, Green and white) are also the coulours on the Lebanese flag.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 13 Jun 2015, 06:36

So the Kilted Kiwis' heritage shouldn't have been minimised either then, by your method of evaluation. The point is, these lads were born and raised in Australia, for the most part, and even the Lebanese rugby union at that time was based in Sydney. I'm not sure of any other example in the history of sports where the administrative HQ has been based on the opposite side of the planet to the country it is supposedly 'representing.' :roll:

As I say, we can agree to disagree, but I view a World Cup comprising teams full of players who've never actually lived in the country they're representing, or recent union converts looking for an easier path to international exposure, or two teams from the same country . . . to be quite farcical. There are only two real professional leagues in the game, and, by my estimation, a maximum of half a dozen genuinely world class national teams - mostly drawn from those two competitions.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Sat, 13 Jun 2015, 07:39

I regard the Lebanese rugly League players as having a lot more connection to Lebanon than the "Kilted Kiwis" had to Scotland, players like John Elias (who I mention in my previous post, was born in Beirut, probably the best Lebanese rugby League player of all time, Hazim El Masri, was born in Tripoli, many others are first generation Australians. It may surprise you to know that quite a number of these players do speak Levantine Arabic.

You are correct in realising that we will never agree, as I place a lot of weight on Ancestrol heritage,whereas you dont.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 13 Jun 2015, 13:42

Rowan wrote:So, for example, a Lebanese team comprised entirely of Aussies competing at a World Cup is okay by you? How about a New Zealand team competing alongside a Maori team at the same tournament to make up the numbers? :roll:

The Māori having a team in the RLWC doesn't bother me. There's an Iroquois team in the Lacrosse World Championship. There's nothing wrong with that.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sat, 13 Jun 2015, 19:17

You are correct in realising that we will never agree, as I place a lot of weight on Ancestrol heritage,whereas you dont.

My views happen to be in accordance with those of most respectable sports organizations, including rugby union's. So you are basically accusing FIFA, the Olympics, World Rugby and many others of not placing any weight on ancestral heritage. Of course, that's just silly, and it might even be that these organizations have tighter rules in place precisely because they DO place a lot of weight on ancestral heritage and feel it should not be abused. That is also my view on the issue.

So a couple of the players were born in Lebanon. But, guess what, at that time there wasn't even any rugby league being played in Lebanon - and the national association was based in Sydney. Why Sydney? Because that's where most of the players were born, and that's where all of them played their rugby league from childhood. If you don't see anything slightly farcical in a "Lebanese" national team being selected out of the Sydney competition and representing a nation where the game was not even played at the time, fine. We'll agree to disagree on that.

I'd personally compare it to American football picking a "Nigerian" team of players who were able to trace their ancestry back to that part of the African continent. &, yes, there has been the odd Nigerian-born player in the NFL too...

The Māori having a team in the RLWC doesn't bother me. There's an Iroquois team in the Lacrosse World Championship. There's nothing wrong with that.

There's everything wrong with having two teams from the same nation competing in a World Cup - which is by definition a championship of different nations. Once you start selecting teams on the basis of ethnicity or any other alternative criteria, it ceases to be a championship of different nations and becomes a meaningless circus. Incidentally, the prospect of a Maori team at the Webb Ellis Cup was once raised (by the press, I believe), but immediately shot down by the NZRFU, with the comment that the team was "contentious enough as it (was)." One TV comments man was even arrogant enough to suggest NZ field a 'B' team in 91, as they'd won the 87 RWC so easily. :lol: :evil:

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Sat, 13 Jun 2015, 19:38

Rowan, you are more than entitled to your opinion, likewise I am entitled to mine.

However some opinion is called "considered" and there is another form called "adverse"

Postby 4N » Sat, 13 Jun 2015, 19:48

grande wrote:
Rowan wrote:So, for example, a Lebanese team comprised entirely of Aussies competing at a World Cup is okay by you? How about a New Zealand team competing alongside a Maori team at the same tournament to make up the numbers? :roll:

That's because Lacrosse is only seriously played in two countries.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 14 Jun 2015, 09:22

Let us now try to envisage a FIFA World Cup in which indigenous teams were permitted to be included. Russia would be in a position to field dozens of teams, as would India, the US, Brazil & Indonesia, among others, while countless more nations could have multiple entries - Turkey among them. Actually, a World Cup of indigenous peoples might be an intriguing event in its own right, but once you start including indigenous teams in a World Cup of nations it loses all credibility.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby AUCKLANDREUNION » Mon, 15 Jun 2015, 07:40

But FIFA has got nothing to do with Rugby League, Dont they administer soccer?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 04 Oct 2015, 19:56

Wow, just accidentally saw the highlights of this year's NRL final :shock: Cowboys come from behind to stun Broncos in an all Q'land grand final with a "golden point" field goal in extra time - for their first ever title!! This after they scored a late equaliser and what would have been the winning conversion hit the uprights!! Then a Broncos defender made a monumental error by fumbling the kick-off close to his own try-line. The Cowboys couldn't get the field-goal away at their first three attempts as the Broncos smothered them, before finally slotting the winner. Doesn't get any more dramatic that this:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 11 Oct 2015, 05:20

To be honest the finish was far more dramatic than the rest of the game. Broncos were pretty much happy to just defend for the entire second half which made for some boring passages of play. Some are calling it the greatest grand final ever but I think how the game finished has well and truly skewed perceptions, maybe the greatest finish to a grand final since 1997 or 1989, but in terms of quality football I'd rank it a pretty average match.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 11 Oct 2015, 07:29

No, definitely not quality. But often it's the lack of quality that creates the drama. A lot of Americans tell me they prefer college football to NFL because in the pro's you just don't see enough mistakes - no craziness going on out there, like in college football. So this was a bit of a crazy finale to the NRL, but winning it on a field-goal in extra time, after equalizing (and almost winning) right at the end of regulation time, is about as dramatic as it gets.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 21:59

Updating, Lebanon has just qualified to 2017 Rugby League World Cup. Two wins against South Africa in South Africa: 40-12 and 50-16. For Lebanese players play in Lebanese league, all the others are Australians, having a quick look in the squad.

Tonga has also qualified with a 28-8 over the Cook Islands.

On December USA, Canada and Jamaica play for the American spot in the RLWC.

In Europe, Spain, Serbia, Russia and Italy will face next year Wales and Ireland for 3 places in the RLWC.

Also, last week Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) released their 2015-2025 strategic plan: http://www.rlif.com/~media/docs/RLIF-St ... tal%29.pdf

They are targeting to have a 16-teams WC with 8 competitive and sustainable national teams, plus recognition from main international sports organizations.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Mon, 09 Nov 2015, 09:41

For Lebanese players play in Lebanese league, all the others are Australians, having a quick look in the squad.

:lol:

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 20:51

For all the sneering at Lebanon, Spain fielded a 23 in the ENC vs Germany this year with not a single Spainiard in it (at least according to totalrugby.de, I haven't verified this).

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 23:06

Eh? That can't be right. I just had a look at their squad and they've all got Spanish names (Euskera included). Perhaps they were all based at foreign clubs. I think the bulk of the squad plays professionally in France. But that's very different to Australian citizens jetting off to the other side of the world to represent their parents' or grandparents' homeland because they know they'll never be good enough to play for the Kangaroos...

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 23:51

BREAKING NEWS: more than one country in the world has "Spanish" names!
The generational thing is totally not different, save there being (in general) less water and more mountains in the way!

The original totalrugby.de Tweet on Mar21:
@totalrugby wrote:@ferugby features 17 frenchmen, 2 kiwis and 2 argies in the matchday 23 to play @DRVRugby. @rugby_europe

Although it was 21/23 and not 23/23, just for balance, DRV, ever heard of glass houses?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 11 Nov 2015, 23:57

Frenchmen and Kiwis with Spanish names - both 1st & 2nd names??

:?

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby Zhenya_Zima » Thu, 12 Nov 2015, 00:22

This isn't my fight and I don't care, but...

a) go find the rugby europe gamesheet - they (more or less, there's no perfect system) list nationality by passport, and only at most a third (from memory) said Spain, and they could easily be dual nationality
b) at the very least as bad as Lebanon in a much more international game and at least as far up the food chain.
c) both first and second name is a given if 1st generation expat and hardly impossible as 2nd. In other words totally the same as your earlier argument.

Anyway, whatever the exact numbers and what you want to class as "Spanish", the point is - every time you bring up Lebanon's emphasizing international league's ridiculousness, pray Spain don't make Japan 2019.

(And they are the most likely to make a change. No idea why)

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 12 Nov 2015, 08:33

I didn't bring it up, Victorsra brought it up, so get your facts straight on that point to begin with.

Now I'm looking at the current Spanish team sheet and they all have Spanish (or Euskera) first and last names. Unless you can prove otherwise - which you've glaringly failed to do so despite your bizarre accusations - I think it's safe to assume you're filling the thread up with garbage.

I lived in Spain for 5 years and used to do translations from the national fefederation for an Australian rugby web-site. The Spanish team certainly wasn't full of "foreigners" then. It wouldn't be too difficult to disprove what you're bizarre accusations, but at the end of the day it's for you to prove it - not for me or anyone else to disprove it.

A "Lebanese" team comprised mostly of Australian citizens and four actual Lebanese players is a joke. That's not a glass house scenario because rugby union doesn't operate on such a farcical basis. World Rugby actually has fairly comprehensive rules to prevent this, and certain teams - from Hong Kong to Azerbaijan (union's equivalent to the Lebanese league team) - have suffered because of it.

The Lebanese national rugby league team is farcical. Rugby League as a 'world sport' comprising anything more than half a dozen credible national teams is farcical.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 12 Nov 2015, 13:43

Based on a quick google search of the Spanish National Team, nine of the 23 were born in Spain.

Beñat Auzqui - France
Juan Anaya Lazaro - Spain
Francisco Blanco - Spain
Xerom Civil - France
Jonathan García - France
Fernando Martin López Perez - France
Aníbal Bonán - Spain
David Barrera Howarth - France
Jesus Recuerda Nunez - Spain
Gautier Gibouin - France
Asier Usarraga - Spain
Jaime Nava de Olano - Spain