Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Touch Football World Cup!

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Touch Football World Cup!

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Apr 2015, 23:28

Yeah, it exists and starts this tuesday in Australia. http://www.touchworldcup.com/

It is organized by FIT (International Touch Federation) and this is the Touch Football, derivated from Rugby League. Wolrd Rugby's Touch Rugby is slightly different as far as I know, but I would like to know more about this, as I never played Touch in such organized way.

What I really liked is the number of tournaments: there are 7, but 4 are are for veterans. So the main tournaments are Men's, Women's and Mixed!

The Touch Wolrd Cup started in 1988 and Australia is the hegemonic power. They won men's and women's tournaments until now and five out of sevens mixed tournaments (NZ won the other two).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Touch Football World Cup!

Postby Canalina » Mon, 27 Apr 2015, 05:14

Thanks for open this, Victorsra, I like touch rugby too
In this edition there are nine different categories, look at page 4 in http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=3542951
Italy is competing in Mixed Open (perhaps the nicest and more popular category, with men and women playing together) and in Men's 50's (it means over 50?)
Many matches will be live on youtube

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 29 Apr 2015, 15:08

the overall view of the first day of games at the Touch World Cup (all the nine categories together)

and the australian women national team with their slippery captain

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 30 Apr 2015, 16:42

The second day of games has been affected by an abundant rain, with some matches postponed to tomorrow. Australia suffered the first defeat, by hands of New Zealand in the senior mixed tournament.
Italy won the third match in a row in the Men's 50 competition and has great chance to conquer a medal! I'm not sure but it could be the first world podium ever for Italy in a rugby event.

The scottish women national team pay homage to the host country

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 01 May 2015, 06:50

Match day 3 completely postponed due to the fields plenty of water. The program of days 4 and 5 will be compressed to host all the matches.
In the samoan women team is playing with the shirt #8 Latafale Auva'a, id est miss Samoa and miss Pacific Islands
She scored one try in the victory against Philippines and two tries in the draw (6-6) with Wales. As far as now Samoa has won two match, drawn one, lost two. https://www.facebook.com/latafale

I like the world of touch, even if perhaps the matches are a bit boring to see. I've played a bit of touch some years ago (with very free rules) and I'm sure it is much more funny to play than to watch

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 03 May 2015, 17:02

The medals; Australia got 8 golds and one silver in nine events

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 03 May 2015, 20:36

So, Australia again is the dominant country
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Mon, 04 May 2015, 02:37

Australia and New Zealand, like in rugby league, are the dominant nations in touch footy. PNG (where league is the national sport), as well as smaller Pacific Island nations (Cook Islands and Niue) are also strong.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 04 May 2015, 04:51

Why sometime a player already in the touchdown area has to pass the ball to a teammate, like in this video?
https://www.facebook.com/TouchWorldCup/ ... 9833449080

I've read the basic rules of touch but they don't explain it

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Mon, 04 May 2015, 06:31

Canalina wrote:Why sometime a player already in the touchdown area has to pass the ball to a teammate, like in this video?
https://www.facebook.com/TouchWorldCup/ ... 9833449080

I've read the basic rules of touch but they don't explain it

Dummy halves (those that pick up the ball from the play the ball) aren't allowed to score or get touched with the ball. It's a penalty if they get touched.

Return to Other subjects