Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

National teams colours

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

National teams colours

Postby victorsra » Mon, 25 May 2015, 12:46

In every sport some countries use colours that are not in their flags, or colours that are in the flag but just as small details. I always wonder the reasons...

Can you help me competing the list and trying to explain the reasons?

Rugby and other sports:

New Zealand - Black - it is really rugby that gave NZ their national colours? Why black?

Australia - Gold and Green - The Golden Wattle

South Africa - Green and Gold (it is the flag, yes, but before the 90s it wasn't) - ?

Fiji - black and white - ?

Italy - Blue - Savoy family

Netherlands - Orange - Oranje family

Slovenia - Green - ?

Zimbabwe - Green and White - Rhodesia

Hong Kong - Dark Blue and Red - why dark blue?

Sri Lanka - White - ?

India - Blue - Ashoka Chakra? The reason is not to use any of the religions colours?

Malaysia - Yellow and Black - ?

Cook Islands - Green and Yellow - ?

Venezuela - Burgundy - ?

Spain - Blue (details) - Bourbon family

Canada - Black (details) - ?

Other sports, but not in rugby
Germany - White - Prussia/German Empire

Japan - Blue - ?

Sri Lanka - Blue - ?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
PortugalPortugal

Re: National teams colours

Postby mestre » Mon, 25 May 2015, 13:04

Portugal - Red or Green - Flag colours meant to simbolize Hope (green) + Sacrifice (red)
Rugby in Portugal: http://www.maodemestre.com/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 25 May 2015, 16:27

Yes, but I am asking about colours that are NOT in the flags (or are just details in the flags).

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Mon, 25 May 2015, 17:14

The actual colours for Zimbabwe are not from the Rhodesian flag either, as the green and white hoops have been used since the first ever game nearly 100 years ago when the flag was a British ensign.

The colours actually come from the Rhodesian coat of arms dating from 1924. In fact the Rhodesian flag was in part influenced by the Sables shirt colours.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:29

There doesn't seem to have been any particular reason for it, but at the formation of the NZRFU in 1892 it was decided the national team should wear black jerseys. Prior to this I believe New Zealand teams such as the 1888 Natives had worn dark blue. When the 'Original' New Zealanders undertook a major tour of the Northern Hemisphere in 1905 they were dubbed by a member of the British press as the 'All Blacks' - a name that stuck, evidently.

Incidentally, I believe Ireland's national colors were originally blue, but green became more popular with the rise of nationalism in the 19th century and a desire to be distinctive from the Brits.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 26 May 2015, 14:52

victorsra wrote:In every sport some countries use colours that are not in their flags, or colours that are in the flag but just as small details. I always wonder the reasons...

Can you help me competing the list and trying to explain the reasons?

Rugby and other sports:

South Africa - Green and Gold (it is the flag, yes, but before the 90s it wasn't) - ?

Actually the dark green was on the old South Africa Republic flag of Transvaal used up to 1902 (which was very tiny but on the 1928 - 1994 flag also.). Perhaps the green symbolises the old heartland of South Africa without the Dutch flag tricolour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Republic

The 1928 - 1994 flag

You would expect orange really to have been on the jersey but perhaps it was too familiar already for the Netherlands, maybe the gold simply represents the nations wealth in gold mines.

in fact I found this which does seem to confirm the Traansvaal influence.

In March 1903, and in view of Britain's first visit after the Anglo-Boer War, Gerald Orpen on behalf of the Transvaal Rugby Union in the SARVR suggested that South Africa in the next tests in uniform playing performance. His proposal was "olive green jerseys, with gold collar, and on the left breast embroidered in natural color, a springbok, navy blue knickers, dark blue stockings, with green and gold belt on the tops."

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 26 May 2015, 15:00

ITALY

The azure comes from the "Azzurro Savoia" (Savoy Blue), the colour traditionally linked to the royal dynasty which unified Italy in 1861, and maintained in the official standard of the Italian President.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 26 May 2015, 21:41

The Turkish flag is red to symbolize the blood of the soldiers who perished in the independence war (with Greece). The Ottoman flag had been darked green (Islamic colours) with three white crescents.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 27 May 2015, 08:24

SLOVENIA

It may be to do with the green dragon which is the symbol of the capital.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Thu, 28 May 2015, 04:12

The Australian jersey, prior to 1960, was green with gold, not the other way around as it is today. However, given Australia had growing rugby links with South Africa (at least for the next 10 years), they decided than rather changing the jersey every time we played them to just change the jersey they played in permanently.

Prior to 1928, when the green jersey was brought in, the Wallabies played in the strip of whichever state they played in (New South Wales or Queensland). The only difference was the Australian coat of arms would replace the state coat of arms. This meant that Australia played it early tests in sky blue or maroon.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby m.map » Wed, 10 Jun 2015, 19:40

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:ITALY

The azure comes from the "Azzurro Savoia" (Savoy Blue), the colour traditionally linked to the royal dynasty which unified Italy in 1861, and maintained in the official standard of the Italian President.

the azure of Savoy comes from the mantle of the Virgin Mary, which they were particularly devoted

though it may be of none interest, personally, I'm an atheist and republican (and italian, of course)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Jun 2015, 21:14

I didn't know. Thank you M.Map

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 25 Jun 2015, 03:51

Any idea why Sri Lanka is blue in cricket and white-green in rugby? If I am not wrong they are yellow in soccer, but at least it is clearly related to the flag.

National Flag:
MexicoMexico

Postby Hansgrohe » Tue, 30 Jun 2015, 21:28

From what I understand about Slovenia, part of the reason the kits were changed to green was because of the colors not only of Ljubljana but also of NK Olimpija; the use of green for Slovenia was always controversial, especially in rural areas, although nowadays the Slovenian kit seems to be a bit of a "meet me in the middle" kind of design.

I did research for Venezuela and the use of the colors for burgundy appear rather unclear and a bit lost to history; historically Venezuelan generals in the 19th century wore burgundy, and the most plausible theory I've unearthed seems to state that the reason Venzuela's sports teams wear burgundy is to honor those generals, as well as the guards at Miraflores Palace, the presidential house in Venezuela.

Japan's origin is quite an interesting one. Japan is quite a superstitious society. In fact, Kit Kats are given there before tests because the word "Kit Kat" is similar to a word in Japanese that means "good luck", which explains all the flavors they have there. In 1936, during the 36 Olympics, the Japanese team upset Sweden by a score of 3-2, and the players and coaches believed that the color gave them good luck. One theory that is more or less meh is that the colors are supposed to represent Mt. Fuji, which has been characterized as a "blue" place in Japanese art.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sun, 19 Jul 2015, 08:06

Umm I supervised plenty of high school tests and I never saw any Kit kats being consumed beforehand! What Japanese word sounds like kitkat that means good luck? I know "Gambatte!" but as you can tell that doesn't sound like kit kat!

Postby 4N » Sun, 19 Jul 2015, 16:59

I thought Japan's use of blue in sport had something to do with Imperial era military uniforms? I recall they wore blue in the Russo-Japanese war, which marked a major turning point for the west taking Japan's military might seriously.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 19 Jul 2015, 20:42

It is interesting that what are regarded as Australia, New Zealand and Fiji's national teams colors do not reflect the colors of their respective flags. They must be among a small minority of countries to which this applies.

Regarding Sri Lankan colors, so far as I know the green stripe represents the Muslims and the orange stripe represents the Tamils. How it came to be that the rugby team opted for the supposedly 'Muslim' color of the flag I have no idea.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 21 Jul 2015, 14:55

Regarding Sri Lankan colors, so far as I know the green stripe represents the Muslims and the orange stripe represents the Tamils. How it came to be that the rugby team opted for the supposedly 'Muslim' color of the flag I have no idea.

And why BLUE in cricket? The same reason of India?

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Tue, 21 Jul 2015, 21:41

The blue and yellow Star of India featured on the logo of all Indian sports teams during colonial times. Blue was predominant and therefore chosen as the color for Indian team uniforms at that time. Sri Lanka was a part of British India.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 Jul 2015, 23:01

I know that and why India uses blue. It is in the Ashoka Shakra. But is that the reason for Sri Lanka? Just because they were part of British India? Looks strange. It is like Ukraine using red because they were part of the Soviet Union. I guess the reason maybe is the Ashoka Chakra itself, as Ashoka was buddist and Sri Lanka is mainly buddist. But I would like to have a proper confirmation.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 08:54

Cricket's not my cup of tea, really, so I'm no expert. It was one of the reasons I gave up sports journalism actually :lol: You could never pay me enough to watch that game all day!! But as far as I know the Sri Lankan cricket association adopted blue as its colors during British rule and has retained them since. Whether that has anything to do with the Ashoka Chakra or Star of India, I don't know, but the latter is the reason for India's choice of blue.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Jul 2015, 06:02

Sri Lankan cricket association adopted blue as its colors during British rule and has retained them since.

Very interesting.

Well, the fact they have three different colours for three different "British" sports (football, rugby and cricket) is odd indeed.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 26 Jul 2015, 06:38

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall the Ceylon national rugby team also played in blue - which was the predominant color of their flag (at the time resembling Australia & New Zealand's). In those days their international activities were confined mostly to touring British and Australasian teams on their way to play each other (Sri Lanka was a convenient stop-off point on those long sailings). World Rugby's use of RWC proceeds to stimulate the growth of rugby around the world breathed new life into many minor unions hitherto largely dormant. At that time Sri Lanka seems to have adopted a new uniform, evidently taken from one of the principal colors of the new flag, perhaps chosen ahead of the other colors to avoid clashing with regular opponents' strips. But I'm only speculating there.

National Flag:
SloveniaSlovenia

Postby alexjug » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 13:42

Regarding Slovenian colors.
I believe it actualy comes from "I feel Slovenia" brand.

"In Slovenia, green represents more than just a colour; it is [i]Slovenian green, expressing the balance between the calmness of nature and the diligence of Slovenians. It speaks of unspoilt nature and our focus to preserve nature as such. The Slovenian green also shows our orientation to the elementary, to what we feel inside. Our vision is clear. We are committed to preserving Slovenia’s boutique ‘green’ offering and to growing this through organic development."

http://www.spiritslovenia.si/en/brand-i-feel-slovenia

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 13:55

International motorsport colors give a few example of liveries not linked to national flags. British cars are usually green (the so called "British racing green") as they started to use it in Ireland when the whole island was under UK control and they decided to race under Irish colors. Nazi regime decided to change the usual white liveries of German grand prix cars and Auto Union and Mercedes began to use silver in 1934, although a myth defends white paint had to be removed from Mercedes cars to make it through scrutineering in a race.

Next

Return to Other subjects