Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

NFL Matches in NZ

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

NFL Matches in NZ

Postby Rowan » Sat, 30 May 2015, 22:24

Wow, with all these international club rugby games lined up for America, seems like the NFL is striking back by sending its game abroad . . .

New Zealand is set to get its first taste of the NFL early next year, with former rugby league superstar Jarryd Hayne touted as one of the headline acts.

Confirmation is expected this week of two NFL matches to be played in New Zealand – one at Eden Park in Auckland and the other at Wellington Regional Stadium.

The double-header will be confirmed at a media conference at Eden Park on Wednesday morning, which will be attended by the US ambassador to New Zealand, Mark Gilbert.

International event management company Douglas Webber Events are behind the venture, and high-profile NFL player agent Jarin Giesler, who is the president and CEO of Giesler Sports World-Wide, will also be at the event.

The ground-breaking concept, which has been nearly four years in the making and is likely to be called the Southern Bowl, will involve six NFL franchises – including the Cowboys, the San Francisco 49ers and the Arizona Cardinals.

Once the final 53-man rosters for the 2015-16 season for those franchises are confirmed in late July, two high-profile coaches will select squads from those players who miss the cut. The coaches will likely announce their squads towards the end of September.

That puts the likes of Hayne, who is thought to be on the verge of making the final cut with the 49ers, and Hamilton's Paul Lasike, who signed with the Cardinals at the start of this month, firmly in the frame to play.

The Cowboys have about 300 players on their books.

Punters can expect a genuinely authentic NFL experience. Ticket prices are yet to be confirmed.

American football is a fringe sport in New Zealand, but the matches are set to be a major coup, especially given just a handful of Kiwis have played in the NFL.

Christchurch-born three-time Super Bowl winning linebacker Riki Ellison was the first to debut in the NFL in 1983, playing for the 49ers and LA Raiders, followed by Minnesota Vikings guard David Dixon in 1992 and Ellison's son Rhett, a tight-end for the Vikings, in 2012.

Auckland-born but Tonga-raised defensive tackle Stephen Paea started his career in 2011, while Hamilton's Paul Lasike, a fullback, signed with the Arizona Cardinals at the start of this month.

The NFL International Series has played 11 regular season games at London's Wembley Stadium since 2007 and there will be another three official matches there in October and November this year.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-spor ... ches-in-NZ
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

Re: NFL Matches in NZ

Postby 4N » Sun, 31 May 2015, 16:30

Expect more Kiwis to be involved in American football in the coming years. Brigham Young University are starting to target NZ rugby players as gridiron recruits. They've just given a scholarship to a lad from Auckland, 6'7" 147 kilos. Apparently he's never even played the sport.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... aland.html

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 10 Jun 2015, 08:10

I saw the headline, then I saw the key piece of info buried in the article.

Once the final 53-man rosters for the 2015-16 season for those franchises are confirmed in late July, two high-profile coaches will select squads from those players who miss the cut. The coaches will likely announce their squads towards the end of September.

So these teams will be the equivalent of development teams, not the real thing. I was really interested until I saw that info! West Ham & someone else did that last year in the EPL off-season coming to NZ for a 4 team tournament with the Phoenix and Sydney (?). I asked my friend if he wanted to go since there were two EPL teams in the country but he said they'd brought out a development team squad with almost no first team players so he wasn't interested. Neither was I after he told me. I already seen the real deal NFL in NYC at Metlife anyway, though it was a bit sad with a joke of a home Giants team getting their butts kicked by the Colts, rather like how the Blues have done in this year's Super Rugby, except at least the Giants still somehow attracted a full stadium!

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Wed, 10 Jun 2015, 10:45

I don't think it'll make much difference. People still turn out to watch touring teams' midweek selections, even when sometimes they don't include a single player who will play in the test matches. They're still the All Blacks, the Springboks, the Wallabies or the Lions, etc. & I never heard anybody say they saw the All Blacks in 95 or the Lions in 97 - but, alas, it wasn't the real team because none of the test XV were selected...
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

Return to Other subjects