Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Global warming

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Global warming

Postby Canalina » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 03:04

This is the "hottest summer since we measure them" here in Italy according to the statisticians, and it's not the first time in these last years. We went up to 43° in my city in the past days, and I live in the middle north; the thermometer has remained over 25° even at night constantly in these last two weeks. Hard to sleep, so I'm here
People are bored by the heat but almost nobody seems really worried. I'm not worried, I'm terrified. If this is not just a case, if the cause is the infamous global warming, it means that we will have summers even hotter in the next future. Rivers will go dry, animals will suffer a lot (we are almost monopolizing the control of the water, taking it away from them) and also we humans will have to face torrid temperatures. Larger and larger parts of Africa and other equatorial regions will become maybe inhabitable and the glaciers' melting will slowly drown the flattest islands.
But who cares? Even in my city, a little city quite famous for the civilian consciousness of its people, everyone uses the car for every move, everyone takes a plan as soon as he can to make a pleasure voyage and of course everyone uses air conditioner at the very best of its power in this hot summer. Even me, a pseudo-echologist, I use a lot of electricity even for not so necessary activities like, for example, writing on a rugby forum : )
Even if it will be indubitably demonstrated that human behavior is at the base of global warming, how many time it will occur to convince the governments and 7 billions people to radically change the life style? Decades, in the best hypothesis. And meanwhile the heat keeps escalate
A nightmare.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Re: Global warming

Postby Rowan » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 11:17

Human activity has undoubtedly contributed to the global warming phenomenon but it is also due in part to the natural cycles of the Earth. As far as I know, the Earth has been getting closer to the sun for a couple of centuries or so and this is expected to peak in the 2030s. But this is only a short-term cycle. The long term cycle is headed toward another Ice Age, though that won't kick in for about another hundred thousand years.
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 14:07

Global warming is not a comfortable thought when you live 5 meters below sea level, I can assure you.

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 21:32

You may be interested to know that number 6 in the list, an Anglo-Dutch company, has just received the go-ahead from the US to drill for oil off the coast of Alaska, despite the severe danger this poses to the climate, the eco-system and the local communities.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Fri, 24 Jul 2015, 15:25

NedRugby wrote:Global warming is not a comfortable thought when you live 5 meters below sea level, I can assure you.

I will keep some space for free up here at 1.5 km above sea level for anyone who needs a bed in the future. :)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Jul 2015, 06:07

Human activity has undoubtedly contributed to the global warming phenomenon but it is also due in part to the natural cycles of the Earth. As far as I know, the Earth has been getting closer to the sun for a couple of centuries or so and this is expected to peak in the 2030s. But this is only a short-term cycle. The long term cycle is headed toward another Ice Age, though that won't kick in for about another hundred thousand years.

Yep.

We are in a period called "interglacial", which means in a couple of thousands years Earth will freeze again. However we are trying to be extinct before this fucking the planet right now :D
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Postby Rowan » Sun, 26 Jul 2015, 06:25

which means in a couple of thousands years Earth will freeze again

Couple of thousand years, or couple of hundred thousand years? I thought it was closer to the latter, but a cursory glance through a few internet articles just confused me more, with one article saying more or less the opposite to another. Actually, the last ice age only really ended about 10,000 years ago, the last vestiges of the mighty glaciers finally melting away and perhaps leading to the many tales of 'Great Floods' we have from the ancient world (of which Noah's Ark is merely one). So if this natural cycle is set to peak in the 2030s, I guess the next ice age might be expected to begin in about another 10,000 years. No need to panic just yet then ... :roll:

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Jul 2015, 20:49

Yep, hundreds thousands probably . I think the glaciation cycles have about 100-200k years...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Return to Other subjects