Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sri Lanka

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Sri Lanka

Postby Rowan » Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 13:07

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
Sri Lankan rugby star’s body exhumed as murder probe rocks election campaign

Wasim Thajudeen was originally said to have died in a car accident, but Sri Lankan investigators now claim he was tortured and murdered by former president’s security team

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... paign.html

Interesting article :thumbup:

Pretty bizarre what went on there in 2008-09 with the army basically just shelling the Tamils out of existence, killing an estimated 40,000 civilians along the way, with no major outcry from the international community. From what I understand Tamils began to migrate onto the island more than two thousand years ago and are predominantly Hindu - whereas indigenous Sri Lankans are mostly Buddhist. But the real problems only really began after the end of British rule, leading to civil war in the 1980s...
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
Sri LankaSri Lanka

Re: Rugby in Sri Lanka

Postby gibbs » Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 18:09

Rowan wrote:Interesting article :thumbup:

Pretty bizarre what went on there in 2008-09 with the army basically just shelling the Tamils out of , killing an estimated 40,000 civilians along the way, with no major outcry from the international community. From what I understand Tamils began to migrate onto the island more than two thousand years ago and are predominantly Hindu - whereas indigenous Sri Lankans are mostly Buddhist. But the real problems only really began after the end of British rule, leading to civil war in the 1980s...

Rowan.. Mate better stick to Rugby.. Sri Lankan history is not black and white as you claimed.. And by the by there are 20 million Sri Lankans out of that 12% are Tamils, And out of that only 7% are Sri Lankan Tamils rest are Indian origin Tamils bought over by the Brits in the 19th century to work in Tea plantations as indentured labor, These Indian origin Tamils have nothing to do with the civil conflict and live in the center of the island.. Now as for Sri Lankan Tamils more than 50% of them live outside the Northern parts where the war took place, Among the rest of Sri Lankans who are Sinhalese 75%, Moors 7%, Burghers, Malays, Chinese, Sindhis, Parsis, Kafirs, Memons, Afghans etc etc etc

So the during the last stages of the conflict the LTTE (Liberation Tamils of Tamil Eelam) a designated terror group in over 30 countries herded 300,000 civilians to a small strip of land they were surrounded in as human shields against the advancing army.. Out of that nearly 280.000.. People came out alive at the end of the war.. Sure innocent people died after all it's a dirty war.. Against an opponent known as the pioneers of suicide bombing and ruthlessness

So you do the numbers mate.. How the feck did the Lankan army shell the Tamil's out of existence ?? Nearly 4 million of them ?? And just for your information there are 80 million Tamils just across the straits in Southern India in their state of Tamil Nadu, Yes Tamil Nadu means Home of Tamils

Since 2009 no single Sri Lankan Tamil has died of gun or by the hand of any authority or Terrorism... So it's better you stick to what you know about than making stupid statements.. Tks

Sorry for the derailment of the topic and the rant.. Some times it irks the shit out, When some bloke sitting in some ivory tower makes half backed statements about something he hardly have any knowledge about than some propaganda

Back to the topic.. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the Rajapaksa regime and it's crimes

National Flag:
TurkeyTurkey

Re: Sri Lanka

Postby Rowan » Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 21:35

I meant the Tamil rebels, not the general Tamil population. My mistake. But, that aside, I'm not sure what you've got your knickers in such a twist about, as you haven't actually refuted anything else anything else I wrote. This reminds me of Thomas's indignation over my comments on Bolivian rugby - just before he proceeded to repeat almost verbatim everything I'd written :lol: You guys need to chill out a bit and stop being so precious. I never claimed to be an expert on Sri Lanka, just made a few comments in response to an article someone else posted. In fact, I would have welcomed your insight had you not presented it in such a haughty manner :thumbdown: :evil:
If they're good enough to play at World Cups, then why not in between?

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Sri Lanka

Postby Coloradoan » Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 22:49

Rowan wrote:I meant the Tamil rebels, not the general Tamil population. My mistake. But, that aside, I'm not sure what you've got your knickers in such a twist about, as you haven't actually refuted anything else anything else I wrote. This reminds me of Thomas's indignation over my comments on Bolivian rugby - just before he proceeded to repeat almost verbatim everything I'd written :lol: You guys need to chill out a bit and stop being so precious. I never claimed to be an expert on Sri Lanka, just made a few comments in response to an article someone else posted. In fact, I would have welcomed your insight had you not presented it in such a haughty manner :thumbdown: :evil:

You mean when you made yet another idiotic comment and got put in your place. The reason people react as they do is that you always try to present yourself as an expert on every topic under the sun, although it's pretty obvious you have surface level knowledge on most topics you comment on. You'd do a lot better if you sat back and chimed in when you had something of actual value or even reasonable knowledge to contribute and actually read other posters, many of whom are actual experts. This forum has a lot of people involved in rugby from all corners of the globe and it's quite enlightening and leads to interesting discussions when you're not telling them they're wrong based on some trip you took 30 years ago or making your usual uninformed stereotyped comments.

Return to Other subjects