Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 17:54

Yes, like against Romania and Germany last season.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 23:27

Rugby7 wrote:
NedRugby wrote:I suppose these are semi-finals and so details of the next round will have to wait.
Yes.
Match 1: SPA - RUS
Match 2: NED - GER
Match 3: Winner M1 v Winner M2
Match 4: Loser M2 v Loser M1
Home team is always the better ranked team
Ranking: 1.SPA 2.NED 3.GER 4.RUS

Interesting, if so, as no Belgium. Maybe they have been relegated to the Trophy after all? Not like Belgium to miss out on 15s.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 23:38

Somebody on the men's subforum said Belgium is facing financial struggles and has canned a number of programs, including women's XV, to focus on men's XV and women's 7s.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 29 Nov 2018, 23:43

Armchair Fan wrote:Somebody on the men's subforum said Belgium is facing financial struggles and has canned a number of programs, including women's XV, to focus on men's XV and women's 7s.

A great pity - Belgium always seemed an ambitious union, frequently sending their test team to England for games against club teams.

One other throught on the Euro draw is that home advantage may have been influenced by climate. Unlikely you could reliably play matches in Moscow in February, and even rugby in Germany tends to go into hibernation at that time of year.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 01 Dec 2018, 16:29

hmm really depends, Rhineland climate is very mild, if you have a nice pitch it should be no problem to play there, under normal circumstances
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 06 Dec 2018, 07:08

Iran ready to step up to international XV (if sponsors help them)

https://www.asiarugby.com/2018/11/18/iran-womens-rugby/

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 13:47

Great win for Sporting Portugal in the second edition of Copa Ibérica, 26-8. Unsurprising given Olímpico's current form and issues with forwards in recent national games, but nevertheless a big scalp for Portuguese women's rugby and a tragedy from our side:
https://twitter.com/Rugby_femenino/stat ... 0171769857

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 20:00

I doubt there are many foreign players in Sporting Portugal, so basically they would have a national XV team all ready and performing. I (we) wonder why they don't try to play a test match somewhen

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 20:05

Because there isn't even a XV league. They play sevens or tens and Sporting assembles a XV team that only plays friendlies and this cup.

Anyway I believe they have three foreigners, two Kiwis (one of them was world champion in 2017, Mata'u) and a Brazilian.

The full game is now available here

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 20:20

But if they are able to defeat so neatly a Liga Iberdrola team, they must be definitively not bad. I'm pretty sure they could match (and maybe defeat) the Euro Trophy nations. Maybe FPR is just not interested to develop a women XV program but I've always heard that more or less all the women players in the world are eager to play XV and obviously eager to play in the national jersey, so a test match should be a great reward for these portoguese players

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 20:35

No, they aren't bad. I was already surprised last year when I saw their forwards and I thought they would have their chance this year given Olímpico's form (6th out of 8 teams in Liga Iberdrola, only two wins, lots of injuries). And of course I'd love to see them play test matches, but it won't be that straightforward. Performance may not translate well and they lack depth.

Previous

Return to Women's Rugby