Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 28 Aug 2018, 08:26

So no European Trophy, back to starting blocks. What should have been a four-week long Four Nations with a second-tier tournament to promote a team has ended up in another deceiving Rugby Europe Championship. It's like Groundhog Day, impossible to make progress.
http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/europea ... lled-again

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 28 Aug 2018, 09:18

Armchair Fan wrote:So no European Trophy, back to starting blocks. What should have been a four-week long Four Nations with a second-tier tournament to promote a team has ended up in another deceiving Rugby Europe Championship. It's like Groundhog Day, impossible to make progress.

When I saw this, I just sighed. a Case of 2 steps forwards, 3 steps back

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 28 Aug 2018, 10:58

Thomas wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:So no European Trophy, back to starting blocks. What should have been a four-week long Four Nations with a second-tier tournament to promote a team has ended up in another deceiving Rugby Europe Championship. It's like Groundhog Day, impossible to make progress.

When I saw this, I just sighed. a Case of 2 steps forwards, 3 steps back

It also uncovers a vicious circle that applies in several nations. Women's teams getting less funding as there is no official tournament for them to play in, which means that when a tournament is organised they cannot afford to go, so the tournament is cancelled, so they get less funding...

And in Sweden about a third of players are women. The men are funded to go to 1-2 overseas games a year, but the women have nothing.

What gets me is that 10 years ago pretty much all of these teams could afford to play in a week-long 15s tournament AND a sevens championship as well. Where has the money gone?

The final question has to be - what hope a 16-team World Cup when teams ranked in or near the top 20 cannot afford to play even in a 4-day regional tournament where costs have been screwed down to the minimum?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 28 Aug 2018, 15:36

Good piece, John.

I wonder if they tried to ask italian federation to send an "A" team to replace Sweden, even if a women Italy A never existed so far

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 28 Aug 2018, 16:05

Canalina wrote:Good piece, John.

I wonder if they tried to ask italian federation to send an "A" team to replace Sweden, even if a women Italy A never existed so far

No reason why not. In past years when this happened FIRA (as it then was) drafted in (often French) regional teams to make up numbers. Flandre definitely took part one year.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 29 Aug 2018, 12:41

It's a cycle that needs someone to carry the financial burden. If the Czech girls want in surely World Rugby can find the £40,000 to fund this tournament?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 29 Aug 2018, 12:48

In order to that happening World Rugby should have any kind of interest in women's XV... The truth is Rugby Europe, with all its amateurism, is ahead of World Rugby in this field.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 30 Aug 2018, 06:39

Armchair Fan wrote:In order to that happening World Rugby should have any kind of interest in women's XV... The truth is Rugby Europe, with all its amateurism, is ahead of World Rugby in this field.

I agree, not wanting to sound callous. World Rugby has always used Women's Rugby for it's own agenda. Let's not forget the first 2 world cups were organized by Women's Rugby themselves and forced the IRB hand after 1994.

As stated before it is a vicious cycles and since the Olympics there has been more justifications from the governing bodies to have less XV tournaments warranted or not.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 03 Sep 2018, 17:12

The New Zealand Black Ferns vs Australia Wallaroos match at Eden park had 576 k viewers across Sky and Prime.

To compare, the Super Rugby final between the Crusaders and Lions had 779 k viewers.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 04 Sep 2018, 22:42

Thomas wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:In order to that happening World Rugby should have any kind of interest in women's XV... The truth is Rugby Europe, with all its amateurism, is ahead of World Rugby in this field.

I agree, not wanting to sound callous. World Rugby has always used Women's Rugby for it's own agenda. Let's not forget the first 2 world cups were organized by Women's Rugby themselves and forced the IRB hand after 1994.

As stated before it is a vicious cycles and since the Olympics there has been more justifications from the governing bodies to have less XV tournaments warranted or not.

As I think I said somewhere else once, every major initiative in women's rugby has come from outside the (men's) rugby authorities. European Championship, World Cup, European Sevens - even most national leagues. Even the World Series only came about due to the IOC telling the IRB what they could do with the idea of a men-only Olympic 7s.

For all of the name change to World Rugby and nice words, in every practical sense nothing has really changed.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 02:26

Money plays a huge part in it though. There just isn't the money in rugby to accommodate full support for the women's game. The initiatives have to come from the unions to help the women more than WR. The Wallaroos got match day payments this year for the first time and are the Super W players next year are likely to get the same, and the Black Ferns are effectively semi-professional now. The only real solution to helping fund the women's XV's game is to try and find some investors.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 11:57

thatrugbyguy wrote:Money plays a huge part in it though. There just isn't the money in rugby to accommodate full support for the women's game. The initiatives have to come from the unions to help the women more than WR. The Wallaroos got match day payments this year for the first time and are the Super W players next year are likely to get the same, and the Black Ferns are effectively semi-professional now. The only real solution to helping fund the women's XV's game is to try and find some investors.

Or have a threat hanging over the Union like the semi-pro Women's Rugby League series that starts this month. Several big names were being tapped up, rumour has it, before the ARU (and NZRU) suddenly came up with their match day payment offer.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 01:54

Going to be hard to gauge how much of a threat that actually is. In fact it's not going to surprise me to see women go back and forth between Super W and NRLW each season given there's no overlap between the two.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 08:01

thatrugbyguy wrote:Going to be hard to gauge how much of a threat that actually is. In fact it's not going to surprise me to see women go back and forth between Super W and NRLW each season given there's no overlap between the two.

The fact that Charlotte Caslick was threatening to go to RL makes you wonder. I know she approached Brisbane and they were in discussion. it seems to me ARU panicked and offered the contract to all their players.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/seve ... 43e164118d

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 10:06

The reality is the Olympics are still going to be a big draw for women to stay in Rugby, and if the match day payments for the tests and Super W continue you'll retain a lot of girls. On top of that women is the one area where the game has more players over league. I think we'll end up seeing a lot of code hoping throughout both competitions if I'm honest. Super W is early in the year, NRLW starts this weekend, so there's a lot of space between them and all of the girls aren't going to be doing it full time. Sevens women are the only ones on full time contracts.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 12:37

Spain will play Hong Kong (again, sigh) and South Africa in November and Scotland in January
https://twitter.com/ferugby/status/1037 ... 93728?s=19

No tournament in Valencia. Disappointing.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 07:31

Watching the NRLW today makes me realise just how important it is for the Wallaroos brand to be the focal point in order to attract women to the game in Australia. Not only that, it confirms my belief that eventually the Super W and Wallaroos tests have to be allowed to chart their own path and work independently from the mens teams. ARU also need to double the Super W matches next year and try and get at least on Kiwi team involved to give the girls a full 10 week season. For Wallaroos tests I would like to see their games played the friday night before the test matches of the mens teams at smaller venues in the same city, so maybe Penrith Stadium where there are games in Sydney, Ballymore when in Brisbane, North Harbour Stadium when in Auckland, etc. It's not going to do them any good having play undercard matches for the men.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 21:31

thatrugbyguy wrote:Watching the NRLW today makes me realise just how important it is for the Wallaroos brand to be the focal point in order to attract women to the game in Australia. Not only that, it confirms my belief that eventually the Super W and Wallaroos tests have to be allowed to chart their own path and work independently from the mens teams. ARU also need to double the Super W matches next year and try and get at least on Kiwi team involved to give the girls a full 10 week season. For Wallaroos tests I would like to see their games played the friday night before the test matches of the mens teams at smaller venues in the same city, so maybe Penrith Stadium where there are games in Sydney, Ballymore when in Brisbane, North Harbour Stadium when in Auckland, etc. It's not going to do them any good having play undercard matches for the men.

Granted the French are known for supporting Women's rugby. But if you're stating that the Women's game need to blaze their own trail, then Wallaroos matches shouldn't even be in the same city. The French women rarely play their fixtures in the same city as the men, in fact they travel around and crush it when it comes to attendance.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 08:10

Do you know if some of tomorrow's english Premiership round 2 matches (https://www.premier15s.com/#/round/2) will be live streamed ?

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 14 Sep 2018, 12:15

TheStroBro wrote:Granted the French are known for supporting Women's rugby. But if you're stating that the Women's game need to blaze their own trail, then Wallaroos matches shouldn't even be in the same city. The French women rarely play their fixtures in the same city as the men, in fact they travel around and crush it when it comes to attendance.

It could be played in Gosford or Wollongong just as easily as Western Sydney. Don't forget our cities aren't as close together as they are in France. There's a travel factor the French girls don't have to contend with.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 14:02

Newly-promoted Universitario de Sevilla ('Cocodrilas') face Sporting Portugal this afternoon from 17:40 CEST and there is a live streaming:

OK, streaming never worked. Sevilla won 19-10.
Last edited by Armchair Fan on Sun, 16 Sep 2018, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 18:05

thatrugbyguy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Granted the French are known for supporting Women's rugby. But if you're stating that the Women's game need to blaze their own trail, then Wallaroos matches shouldn't even be in the same city. The French women rarely play their fixtures in the same city as the men, in fact they travel around and crush it when it comes to attendance.

It could be played in Gosford or Wollongong just as easily as Western Sydney. Don't forget our cities aren't as close together as they are in France. There's a travel factor the French girls don't have to contend with.

Well, Corsica ain't close to Paris and the French women drew over 10k there. In Grenoble which also isn't near Paris they set the record for most at a match. 4 hour train rides or 6 hour train+four hour ferry ride...you probably get my point.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sun, 16 Sep 2018, 00:30

Yeah, but there's also population density issues down here that France doesn't have. France is the size of the entire state of New South Wales but has about 45m more people than the whole country. We only have a small percentage of the population spread across maybe a dozen major cities on a continent that's only a fraction smaller than the US. It's frankly down to logistics more than anything else.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 10:50

This morning's press release from the RFU:

RFU introduces full-time contracts for England women 15-a-side players

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45545188

Lets hope they stick to it this time.

EDIT: i have just read this is permanent then that's great I will be one of the first to say long overdue and richly deserved.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 18 Sep 2018, 14:53

France Launched the Top 16, new look from the Top 8 by promoting 8 clubs to the top division. Some sideways scores in round one...but eventually this will be a great competition.

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby