Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 11:37

IIRC
To be the second best third Spain needed to beat Fiji by at least 17 points.
To be the second best third this Fiji needed to beat Spain by at least 17 points.
To be the second best third Brazil needed neither of them to improve their goalaverage (losing marging of 16 points or less by either side).

Basically Fiji took Brazil quarterfinal spot and then secured Spain core status.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 13:16

Armchair Fan wrote:IIRC
To be the second best third this Fiji needed to beat Spain by at least 17 points.
To be the second best third Brazil needed neither of them to improve their goalaverage (losing marging of 16 points or less by either side).

Basically Fiji took Brazil quarterfinal spot and then secured Spain core status.

Oh! How cruel! :(

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 13:42

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Armchair Fan wrote:IIRC

Oh! How cruel! :(

But TBH over the series Spain were the better team, and showed it by beating Brazil in the Challenge SF on Day two.

And arguably the key moment had come before the Spain/Fiji game. Brazil had England 12-0, England came back, but Brazil then scored a try to take them back to within a score. Their restart was short, the ball not going 10m and lying on the field. Brazil turned their back on it, at which point an England player (the whistle had not gone) picked up the ball and scored. That killed them.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 16:03

Spain has played with fire this season. Work to build long-lasting structures for women's rugby in Spain is good, there is a plan until 2024 and lots of young players have been giving their first taste of international rugby this season, but this way to secure the core status leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

Let's see what can be done on the coaching side for next season, because sometimes Spanish gameplan looked totally outdated.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 19:50

I decided to total up all of the tournament points for all the WSWS so far.

- Unsurprisingly, NZ, Australia, and Canada are far ahead of everyone else.
- Only five teams (the top five) have played in every tournament, although Russia has only missed one (2013 Guangzhou)
- Fiji & Netherlands are the only two teams to have more points than teams that have played in more tournaments (Fiji over Spain & Brazil; Netherlands over RSA, Japan, & China)

Total Points

474 - New Zealand (26)
426 - Australia (26)
400 - Canada (26)
297 - England (26)
270 - United States (26)
222 - Russia (25)
222 - France (22)
152 - Fiji (20)
140 - Spain (24)
75 - Brazil (23)
68 - Ireland (17)
47 - Netherlands (9)
45 - South Africa (11)
37 - Japan (11)
26 - China (11)
4 - Argentina (3)
2 - Tunisia (2)
2 - Kenya (1)
1 - Trinidad & Tobago (1)
1 - Papua New Guinea (1)
1 - Colombia (1)

Points Per Tournament

18.2 - New Zealand
16.4 - Australia
15.4 - Canada
11.4 - England
10.4 - United States
10.1 - France
8.8 - Russia
7.6 - Fiji
5.8 - Spain
5.2 - Netherlands
4.1 - South Africa
4.0 - Ireland
3.4 - Japan
3.3 - Brazil
2.4 - China
2.0 - Kenya
1.3 - Argentina
1.0 - Tunisia
1.0 - Trinidad & Tobago
1.0 - Papua New Guinea
1.0 - Colombia

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 25 Jun 2017, 23:13

How come England are so bad at the moment? They will have to take the 2nd leg of the Euros very seriously. If Wales finish two places ahead of them in Russia then Wales might take the second qualifying spot for the World Cup next year, at least that's how I understand it.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 12:41

Maybe I'm too critical but I hardly understand the point of a 7s World Cup.
I'm a big fan of Alpine Ski World Cup and also in that ambit I can't well understand the sense of a World Championship every two years when the same athletes compete week by week in the World Cup circuit, not rarely on tracks more difficult then those of the World Championship.
In rugby 7s we have the same thing, furthermore with no differences between the "tracks" (fields) of the series and that of the World Cup. Which is the difference between a 7s Series' leg and the San Francisco World Cup? In Frisco there are just a bit more teams and men and women united in the same venue. But I can't understand why that San Francisco tournament has much more value than a single leg of the world series
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 14:21

Canalina wrote:Maybe I'm too critical but I hardly understand the point of a 7s World Cup.

In Frisco there are just a bit more teams and men and women united in the same venue.

The World Cup has more teams than the World Series, do you need a bigger reason?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 26 Jun 2017, 20:04

Yes, I think it's not a difference so meaningful. But, ok, it's just a thing of mine
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 00:32

It was our fate to be relegated. But Brazil left the series woth honour. That is good. They did their best, but the level of the series is rising more than our domestic womens club rugby. But the Yaras are good enough to go back if the investiment is kepr in the team.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 12:56

victorsra wrote:It was our fate to be relegated. But Brazil left the series woth honour. That is good. They did their best, but the level of the series is rising more than our domestic womens club rugby. But the Yaras are good enough to go back if the investiment is kepr in the team.

So which team has replaced Brazil in the series?

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 27 Jun 2017, 13:46

Neptune wrote:
victorsra wrote:It was our fate to be relegated. But Brazil left the series woth honour. That is good. They did their best, but the level of the series is rising more than our domestic womens club rugby. But the Yaras are good enough to go back if the investiment is kepr in the team.

So which team has replaced Brazil in the series?

Japan

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 19:32

NedRugby wrote:How come England are so bad at the moment? They will have to take the 2nd leg of the Euros very seriously. If Wales finish two places ahead of them in Russia then Wales might take the second qualifying spot for the World Cup next year, at least that's how I understand it.

England decided to go for gold in Rio by taking their 2014 15s World Cup winners and getting them to play sevens. The result was that they had no post-Rio legacy - almost all of them returned to 15s, and those that didn't were/are getting on a bit.

So its almost a blank slate. They are only now starting to do what the other leading teams did 4-5 years ago. No doubt there is plenty of talent there - some of the players in Clermont may have been playing in WSWS fo the first time, but have been playing for England in European U18s etc. for some years - but its a huge learnng curve. And the lack of any serious sevens in the UK is a major disadvantage.

But saying all that frankly countries like France (and to an extent Ireland) are in exactly the same state, yet performed far better, so its a possible excuse but not a complete explanation. Whatever you say about the youth of the team, 12th place in Clermont was simply poor. The body language of the players seemed really worrying - especially the game v Canada and the final game v Brazil. I know its not fun to lose, but even so.

England have one of the largest pool of players in the world, an excellent talent indentification system, more funding than most opponents can dream of, but for some reason have a scary lack of depth. We have seen it at XVs and now at VIIs. I'm not sure what the explanation is.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 29 Jun 2017, 19:54

Promotion will almost certainly be decided at the World Cup - probably the best placed non WSWS team being promoted. I suspect that will be decided between Japan (or Spain), Brazil and South Africa, so the Yarras have a pretty good chance.

Previous

Return to Women's Rugby