Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 09:42
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby LeesLegends » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 08:51

I've gotten a headache trying to figure this out. Not really sure why they are tampering with a system that's worked pretty well the last couple of years.


Japan are hosts for the next event, plus they won the 2016 asian series so I'd assume they will be the 12th team there.

Online
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Thomas » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 09:16

who gets relegated and what is the criteria?

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 09:42
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby LeesLegends » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 09:31

On current form Spain and Brazil, the lowest two core teams on the ladder, although this talk of non-core teams being counted is what is confusing me.

Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 09:43

In theory two teams should be relegated. But it seems, according to Yunque's tweets, the ruling refers to 11th and 12th teams in the final standings, which means in fact there is only one relegation spot.

Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby victorsra » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 15:15

So at least 1 core team will be relegated.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 241
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 06 Mar 2017, 20:17

Why the h*** World Rugby cannot agree and publish the rules of their women's competitions before they start is beyond me. This really would NEVER happen with men's tournaments.

Posts: 802
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Neptune » Wed, 08 Mar 2017, 14:06

So i guess the qualifying tournament for the series will be in Hong Kong in April. All the best to the teams participating. ;)

Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue, 06 Oct 2015, 22:54
National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 11:48

Pools for Hong Kong 7s/World Series qualifier:
- Pool A: Japan, China, Netherlands, Jamaica
- Pool B: Argentina, Kenya, Hong Kong, Belgium
- Pool C: South Africa, Colombia, Papua New Guinea, Italy

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 09:42
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby LeesLegends » Mon, 13 Mar 2017, 13:23

Can't see anyone beating South Africa, but who knows!?. Can't wait.

Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby victorsra » Tue, 14 Mar 2017, 00:58

Japan, of course. Japan was a core team last season and South Africa wasn't. China and the Netherlands can't be forgotten too.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 18 Mar 2017, 01:04

victorsra wrote:Japan, of course. Japan was a core team last season and South Africa wasn't. China and the Netherlands can't be forgotten too.


Ouch! Yes, group A looks harsh. Sadly I think the Dutch team has dropped in standard in the last year or so. They lost a lot of income when they failed to qualify for Rio and were relegated to a lower level on the National Olympic Committee priority list. As I understand it they are no longer 100% professional. I hope I am wrong. They played a friendly tournament in Japan recently and were soundly beaten by everyone, including a Japanese development team if I recall correctly. They are included as the non-core team in the Canada round of the World Series, so we'll see if there is more to be optimistic about.

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 09:42
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby LeesLegends » Sun, 19 Mar 2017, 14:39

NedRugby wrote:
They are included as the non-core team in the Canada round of the World Series, so we'll see if there is more to be optimistic about.


Oh, cool! :D Best of luck.

Do you know who the 12th team will be in France? Will it be another European team? Wales, perhaps?

User avatar
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun, 08 Nov 2015, 09:42
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby LeesLegends » Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 15:11

Well I thought it was Wales but looking at the teams playing in Hong Kong they are not even there. Anyone know why? Did they decline? http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/russia- ... n-7s-title This article says they finished 6th and were the best placed non-core team, better than Italy and Belgium. And even Spain. It's hard to find any information on it, there is nothing on the Rugby Europe site and Wikipedia has nothing. Can anyone help?

EDIT: All good, I should've read the article more carefully, it describes Wales as one of the Great Britain combined sides that competed that year, so I guess Wales wasn't eligible?

User avatar
Posts: 2637
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Canalina » Tue, 04 Apr 2017, 12:03

The qualifying tournament in HK will be shown live on the web?
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

User avatar
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri, 19 Feb 2016, 22:49
Location: Córdoba
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby argie » Tue, 04 Apr 2017, 15:29

12 teams will battle it out in Hong Kong for a spot on the women's #HSBC7s

Image
https://twitter.com/WorldRugby7s

Posts: 234
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 04 Apr 2017, 21:46

Canalina wrote:The qualifying tournament in HK will be shown live on the web?


Hopefully ...

User avatar
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 04 Apr 2017, 23:04

Dunno if I'll be up at 4 a.m. on Thursday to watch it.

Posts: 1328
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 08:15

I accidently watched China vs Jamaica this morning on facebook. What a trashing 68:0 in 7s....

Which teams are qualified and how did they qualify for this Qualifier?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 1328
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 08:16

RugbyLiebe wrote:I accidently watched China vs Jamaica this morning on facebook. What a trashing 68:0 in 7s....
The Jamaicans seemed sometime have problems with basic rules like, where to stand in a line-out etc.

Which teams are qualified and how did they qualify for this Qualifier?
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 09:09

I think they qualified for this qualifier through their regional 7s, but it is not as simple as 2 per region. THis is understandable when you consider that Jamaica must have topped the N.American region. So there are 3 European teams and 3 Asian.

It was an intriguing first day. Japan was the only undefeated team. From my point of view it was good to see that Netherlands beat China 21-19. The other Europeans justified their places too by winning two matches each, Belgium beating one of the favourites, South Africa, along the way.

Posts: 2638
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby victorsra » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 13:18

QFS

RSA v PNG
BEL v NED
ITA v KEN
JPN v CHN

Very disappointing for South American teams. Both Argentina and Colombia out. This shows how much the region needs to improve and why Brazil in women's rugby is like Argentina in men's rugby and none is getting close... that's not good for the continent in fact.

Good to see Italy as a real competitor, in spit of their loss to PNG.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 802
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Neptune » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 14:23

victorsra wrote:QFS

RSA v PNG
BEL v NED
ITA v KEN
JPN v CHN

Very disappointing for South American teams. Both Argentina and Colombia out. This shows how much the region needs to improve and why Brazil in women's rugby is like Argentina in men's rugby and none is getting close... that's not good for the continent in fact.

Good to see Italy as a real competitor, in spit of their loss to PNG.


Good stuff by Kenya. Go Kenya Go. I hope we make the semis. :)

User avatar
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 06 Apr 2017, 15:18

victorsra wrote: Very disappointing for South American teams. Both Argentina and Colombia out. This shows how much the region needs to improve

Hey, Argentina defeated Hong Kong and Colombia lost to Italy by just 17-5.

Posts: 94
Joined: Tue, 29 Apr 2014, 09:42
National Flag:
BelgiumBelgium

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby hag » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 07:51

NedRugby wrote:I think they qualified for this qualifier through their regional 7s, but it is not as simple as 2 per region. THis is understandable when you consider that Jamaica must have topped the N.American region. So there are 3 European teams and 3 Asian.

It was an intriguing first day. Japan was the only undefeated team. From my point of view it was good to see that Netherlands beat China 21-19. The other Europeans justified their places too by winning two matches each, Belgium beating one of the favourites, South Africa, along the way.



Belgian press announced it as an invite base on results in last years WGPS. But both could be true.

Posts: 802
Joined: Thu, 15 Dec 2016, 11:18
National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2016-2017

Postby Neptune » Fri, 07 Apr 2017, 08:46

hag wrote:
NedRugby wrote:I think they qualified for this qualifier through their regional 7s, but it is not as simple as 2 per region. THis is understandable when you consider that Jamaica must have topped the N.American region. So there are 3 European teams and 3 Asian.

It was an intriguing first day. Japan was the only undefeated team. From my point of view it was good to see that Netherlands beat China 21-19. The other Europeans justified their places too by winning two matches each, Belgium beating one of the favourites, South Africa, along the way.



Belgian press announced it as an invite base on results in last years WGPS. But both could be true.


Hag, might you be having the team lists for the Belgian team? The Belgian girls are playing some impressive rugby.

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests