Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Women's Nations Championship (World League)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Women's Nations Championship (World League)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 14:36

Well, World Rugby proposed also a Women's Nations Championship, yet to be discussed if the men's league goes on.

https://www.world.rugby/news/406054

So, what it could be?

Probably it would have a smaller format than the men's league. Any thoughts?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Re: Women's Nations Championship (World League)

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 15:12

I just hope it's for more than 12 teams. Otherwise women's XV will be stuck forever. Maybe 16 in two divisions and two conferences.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 15:39

As for the men, I've the fear that it could devalue the World Cup, which is the tournament that I appreciate more.
Anyway, in women's ambit the World Cup is less popular than in men's one and also the Six Nations (other tournament potentially affected by the World League) has much less tradition than the men's 6N, so the League could have a lesser impact and therefore it raises a bit less my eyebrow

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 15:46

Women Cup is already being downgrading by making some teams go Down Under only for three games... Teams outside Top 4 and 6 Nations desperately need more games.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 14:24

The top teams outside Europe are New Zealand, Canada, United States, Australia, South Africa, Samoa and Japan.

New Zealand, Canada and United States are playing the Women's Rugby Super Series.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 15:54

NaBUru38 wrote:The top teams outside Europe are New Zealand, Canada, United States, Australia, South Africa, Samoa and Japan.

New Zealand, Canada and United States are playing the Women's Rugby Super Series.

I'd question Samoa after Fiji thumped them in the Oceania XVs - Fiji seem to be clearly Oceania's third team, after Australia and New Zealand. However Hong Kong beat them comfortably before the 2017 World Cup, so in world terms they may not be a "top team" yet.

South Africa is also highly questionable. They have the potential but they also have one of the most... mercurial/ unreliable/ incompetant/ inept/ unhelpful/ badly organised (delete as applicable) unions in the world (so far as women's rugby is concerned) so haven't won a test since 2014, which was also the last time they played a competitive game. There is a real chance that if they were in a World League they might not turn up. Instead it would be interesting to see what a properly funded Kenya could do, though I think that Kazakhstan (now their WR suspension is out of the way) might be a better bet.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 30 Mar 2019, 16:22

It's past time that SANZAAR start a women's championship.

Return to Women's Rugby