Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games!

User avatar
Posts: 1712
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games!

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 07 Oct 2014, 10:57

The International Rugby Board believes that Women’s Rugby Sevens will be a hit when it debuts at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in 2018.

Confirmation by the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation, the Games organising committee, follows earlier approval by the Commonwealth Games Federation and fulfils the IRB’s objective to see Women’s Sevens showcased at the Games.

The women’s event will be run alongside the men’s at the Robina Stadium and plans are already underway to ensure a successful and thrilling debut.


Please read more at the source: http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/ ... comm+games

User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 07 Oct 2014, 23:29

I suppose there will be 8 teams. Top 4 will be Nz, Aus, Can and Eng, then S.A and Fiji also from WSWS. Who will be the other 2? Wales? Is Hongkong a commonwealt country?

User avatar
Posts: 1712
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 08 Oct 2014, 08:19

NedRugby wrote:I suppose there will be 8 teams. Top 4 will be Nz, Aus, Can and Eng, then S.A and Fiji also from WSWS. Who will be the other 2? Wales? Is Hongkong a commonwealt country?

My guess would be they would want an Asian team, HK not in the Commonwealth, so Malaysia or Singapore. They could stretch to 12 or 16 which would be better but it depends as much on whether the nations would want to send a squad.

I suppose regional competitions will act as qualifiers as per the men's, so teams like India, Guyana, Kenya, Uganda, PNG, Samoa etc would also have a shot.

Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 08 Oct 2014, 08:38

Great news! I saw this on stuff.co.nz and was going to put it on here but you beat me to it PoP! I actually emailed the 2018 organisers in August a couple of years ago saying that the PanAm games, Asian Games, CASCO, South Pacific Games and of course the Rio Olympics had womens 7s and it would be sad if the CWG having been the first multi-sport event to include rugby would be the last to include womens 7s. They replied that womens 7s was currently under review as to whether it would be included or not. Well the review took two years but they made the right decision in the end! :D

Brickbat to NZ Herald...not a single word. Nothing. Adam Thomson playing for the Reds in super rugby next year is more important.

Posts: 219
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 08 Oct 2014, 08:59

NedRugby wrote:I suppose there will be 8 teams. Top 4 will be Nz, Aus, Can and Eng, then S.A and Fiji also from WSWS. Who will be the other 2? Wales? Is Hongkong a commonwealt country?


Why would there be just 8 teams? The men's competition has 16. I would have thought at least 12 teams if not 16 teams.

Posts: 219
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 08 Oct 2014, 09:01

YamahaKiwi wrote:Great news! I saw this on stuff.co.nz and was going to put it on here but you beat me to it PoP! I actually emailed the 2018 organisers in August a couple of years ago saying that the PanAm games, Asian Games, CASCO, South Pacific Games and of course the Rio Olympics had womens 7s and it would be sad if the CWG having been the first multi-sport event to include rugby would be the last to include womens 7s. They replied that womens 7s was currently under review as to whether it would be included or not. Well the review took two years but they made the right decision in the end! :D

Brickbat to NZ Herald...not a single word. Nothing. Adam Thomson playing for the Reds in super rugby next year is more important.


It is indeed great news and loooooooooong overdue. The Gold Coast CWGs organisers actually confirmed on twitter a couple of months back that they had included women's 7s in 2018. I guess that they first had to go through the usual red tape before an official announcement with fireworks and champagne etc.

User avatar
Posts: 1712
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 10:09

We can assume safely I think that the WSWS will act as a qualifier and provide some CG finalists but the European situation is a bit of a conundrum. England should qualify but otherwise there is only Wales, Scotland, Malta and Cyprus in the Commonwealth in Europe and neither Wales nor Scotland currently would seem to merit automatic entry ( for an 8/12 team comp anyway ) though you'd expect them to be at a far higher level than Malta and Cyprus.

It would be very interesting to mix African and European teams up in a cross regional qualifier...perhaps after a regional African competition. It would at least help seeding and help give more experience to the African teams.

Posts: 219
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 12:49

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:We can assume safely I think that the WSWS will act as a qualifier and provide some CG finalists


Is that what happens with the men? I don't quite understand the CWG qualification process. From what I can tell, SA and Kenya seem to have automatic entry and then the top 2 countries in CAR get 2 slots. At least since 2006, there have been 4 African countries at the CWG - I'm not sure about before that. Uganda has been to 3 editions and each time benefited from Zimbabwe's suspension and subsequent withdrawal from the Commonwealth.
*Namibia qualified in 2010 but withdrew and was replaced by Malaysia while Nigeria qualified in 2014 but withdrew as well and was replaced by Barbados.

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
It would be very interesting to mix African and European teams up in a cross regional qualifier...perhaps after a regional African competition. It would at least help seeding and help give more experience to the African teams.
Asian teams too :)

User avatar
Posts: 1712
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 14:32

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:We can assume safely I think that the WSWS will act as a qualifier and provide some CG finalists


Is that what happens with the men? I don't quite understand the CWG qualification process. From what I can tell, SA and Kenya seem to have automatic entry and then the top 2 countries in CAR get 2 slots. At least since 2006, there have been 4 African countries at the CWG - I'm not sure about before that. Uganda has been to 3 editions and each time benefited from Zimbabwe's suspension and subsequent withdrawal from the Commonwealth.
*Namibia qualified in 2010 but withdrew and was replaced by Malaysia while Nigeria qualified in 2014 but withdrew as well and was replaced by Barbados.

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
It would be very interesting to mix African and European teams up in a cross regional qualifier...perhaps after a regional African competition. It would at least help seeding and help give more experience to the African teams.
Asian teams too :)

I think in the men's some teams automatically qualify from the standings in the previous CWG but obviously for an inaugural event that can't happen. It could just be that they go for regional qualifiers with no direct automatic qualifiers from the WSWS.

For the men's CWG Asian teams qualify through final standings the ARFU 7s, would be good to have them in a Europe/Africa/Asia qualifier but it starts to get very expensive for amateur teams. which is why I think a Euro/Africa X-region qualifier could be more feasible - hold it in Nairobi or Kampala so it's not too problematic for teams like Namibia, Zambia, Nigeria etc.

With 12 teams you could end up with a good global mix*: NZ, Aus, SA, Eng, Fiji, Canada, Wales and/or Scotland, PNG or Cooks or Samoa, Guyana or T&T, Uganda or Kenya, Singapore.

*Depending who is or isn't suspended or opts out of the CoN of course!

Posts: 219
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 21:10

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:We can assume safely I think that the WSWS will act as a qualifier and provide some CG finalists


Is that what happens with the men? I don't quite understand the CWG qualification process. From what I can tell, SA and Kenya seem to have automatic entry and then the top 2 countries in CAR get 2 slots. At least since 2006, there have been 4 African countries at the CWG - I'm not sure about before that. Uganda has been to 3 editions and each time benefited from Zimbabwe's suspension and subsequent withdrawal from the Commonwealth.
*Namibia qualified in 2010 but withdrew and was replaced by Malaysia while Nigeria qualified in 2014 but withdrew as well and was replaced by Barbados.

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
It would be very interesting to mix African and European teams up in a cross regional qualifier...perhaps after a regional African competition. It would at least help seeding and help give more experience to the African teams.
Asian teams too :)

I think in the men's some teams automatically qualify from the standings in the previous CWG but obviously for an inaugural event that can't happen. It could just be that they go for regional qualifiers with no direct automatic qualifiers from the WSWS.

For the men's CWG Asian teams qualify through final standings the ARFU 7s, would be good to have them in a Europe/Africa/Asia qualifier but it starts to get very expensive for amateur teams. which is why I think a Euro/Africa X-region qualifier could be more feasible - hold it in Nairobi or Kampala so it's not too problematic for teams like Namibia, Zambia, Nigeria etc.

With 12 teams you could end up with a good global mix*: NZ, Aus, SA, Eng, Fiji, Canada, Wales and/or Scotland, PNG or Cooks or Samoa, Guyana or T&T, Uganda or Kenya, Singapore.

*Depending who is or isn't suspended or opts out of the CoN of course!


Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
I think in the men's some teams automatically qualify from the standings in the previous CWG but obviously for an inaugural event that can't happen. It could just be that they go for regional qualifiers with no direct automatic qualifiers from the WSWS.

Ah ok that's clearer now.

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
For the men's CWG Asian teams qualify through final standings the ARFU 7s, would be good to have them in a Europe/Africa/Asia qualifier but it starts to get very expensive for amateur teams. which is why I think a Euro/Africa X-region qualifier could be more feasible - hold it in Nairobi or Kampala so it's not too problematic for teams like Namibia, Zambia, Nigeria etc.

Unfortunately, that's very true :(

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:
With 12 teams you could end up with a good global mix*: NZ, Aus, SA, Eng, Fiji, Canada, Wales and/or Scotland, PNG or Cooks or Samoa, Guyana or T&T, Uganda or Kenya, Singapore.

*Depending who is or isn't suspended or opts out of the CoN of course!

:lol:

Otherwise, that is indeed a good looking possible global mix.

Posts: 1669
Joined: Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 11:42
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby YamahaKiwi » Fri, 10 Oct 2014, 08:12

CWG requires at least one rep team from each part where there are commonwealth members so there should at least be one NACRA Caribbean team, and also at least one Asian team included. The teams you've listed, T&T and Singapore have probably been the best in those areas. Samoa and PNG were 4th and 5th at the FORU7s last weekend.

User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Finally! Women's 7s set to feature in Commonwealth Games

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 10 Oct 2014, 21:29

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
NedRugby wrote:I suppose there will be 8 teams. Top 4 will be Nz, Aus, Can and Eng, then S.A and Fiji also from WSWS. Who will be the other 2? Wales? Is Hongkong a commonwealt country?


Why would there be just 8 teams? The men's competition has 16. I would have thought at least 12 teams if not 16 teams.


I suppose I just did not use my imagination. I think there is a bigger gap between the strong and weak teams in womens rugby than mens. I think thats why they have 12 in the WSWS and 16 in the mens. But maybe you could have Uganda, Kenia, a couple more Pacific teams, Scotland. A 12 team competition could be possible.

Return to Women's Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests