Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Women's World Cup

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby sckual » Thu, 18 Jun 2015, 10:50

I hope for the small nations (like Kenya, Uganda, Trinidad, Fidji, ....); World Rugby create a Women World Trophy (like Under 20) with 8 or 12 teams.... Of course, the winner take a ticket for the next Women World Cup.....

Sweden, Pays-Bas, Russia, Italia or Spain....
Kenya, Uganda
Japan, Kazakhstan
Fiji, Samoa
Argentina, Venezuela

If plans for 2017 are true, South Africa and Kazakhstan have risk to stay at home..... Samoa is better

PS : Sorry for my english !!!!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 18 Jun 2015, 12:30

Hi sckual, your English is fine! The only thing is, "Pays-Bas" is "Netherlands" in English.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sckual » Fri, 19 Jun 2015, 05:53

grande wrote:Hi sckual, your English is fine! The only thing is, "Pays-Bas" is "Netherlands" in English.

Thank you....

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sckual » Fri, 19 Jun 2015, 06:02

World Rugby is very strange.... 16-teams format competition are better (4 Pools de 4, quarter, semi and finals) but it prefer a 12-teams format.....

For women, the 4 more teams in 2014 : Scotland, Italy.... No problem with the level of this teams..... Japan... Same level than Kazakh 's team.... And finally, the last team to choice against Fidji, Trinidad, Sweden, Netherlands.....

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 19 Jun 2015, 12:26

It's all about money. World Rugby and the hosts have to meet the costs of transporting and accommodating the teams, and 16 teams is 33% more expensive that 12.

In addition a 16 team tournament would almost certainly need quarter-finals - it would be very hard to justify going straight to semi-finals from four pools of four - and that would take the tournament into a third week, increasing costs by another 25% or more and also creasting problems for the mainly amatuer players with their employers at home.

Officially World Rugby say that their concern is standards - that teams 13-16 be able even less able to compete with top teams as the likes of Samoa and Kazakhstan were last time. A false argument, obviously, because how else are you going to raise standards? However the current policy seems to be to demand a stronger more stable club system otherwise countries may not be able to enter at all.

Of course the last two tournaments have sold out - and 2017 probably will as well - so if World Rugby were just a bit more ambitious the tournament might not be seen as an asset and not just a cost, which would maybe change attitudes.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 19 Jun 2015, 12:31

In addition WR's main focus in developing unions is 7s - its a controversial policy, but that is their policy - so I am not sure that the XVs world cup is even a major priority (if it was not already there would they invent it? I think not).

Actually a bigger requirement is a stronger Women's Tier 2 structure (being as there currently isn't one) to give something for XVs teams who are not the 6N etc. to train and play for.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sat, 20 Jun 2015, 00:08

John, the costs argument doesn't wash. If they wanted 16 teams they could do the Womens RWC the same as the men and have the teams that didn't make the quarters go home after pool play instead of continuing to play for the rest of the tournament in placing games. That would save a lot of the present costs. Otherwise for the teams outside the QFs, there could be a knockout plate tournament meaning again costs would be cut as not all teams would be in attendance until the end of the event. Also the fact that WR did previously run 16 team WRWCs shows that it can be done and players obviously can get leave for the period of time required. Reducing the event to a 12 team one was purely an exercise in cutting costs in my opinion. Same with the mens JWC. Both are two of the most short-sighted decisions taken by the game's World governing body in the recent past IMO.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Jan 2016, 14:22

Has World Rugby revealed the 2017 WRWC Qualifiers system?

I haven't found the information if 2016 Women's Six Nations is part of it.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 01 Feb 2016, 05:34

Sorry, I've just found.

Ireland, England and France are already qualified, while Wales, Scotland and Italy play for 2 places in the WRWC. The lowest ranked between them faces European Women's Championship champions.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 01 Feb 2016, 13:22

Thanks, victorsra. Any idea when the European Women's Championship will take place, and who it will contain this time around?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 01 Feb 2016, 18:19

No idea.

Just to clarify

New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA, England, France, Ireland are already qualified.

Europe has 3 places;

And there will be a World Qualifiers for the last 2 places, with South Africa, Samoa and the best two teams from Asian Championship.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 12:23

YamahaKiwi wrote:John, the costs argument doesn't wash. If they wanted 16 teams they could do the Womens RWC the same as the men and have the teams that didn't make the quarters go home after pool play instead of continuing to play for the rest of the tournament in placing games. That would save a lot of the present costs. Otherwise for the teams outside the QFs, there could be a knockout plate tournament meaning again costs would be cut as not all teams would be in attendance until the end of the event. Also the fact that WR did previously run 16 team WRWCs shows that it can be done and players obviously can get leave for the period of time required. Reducing the event to a 12 team one was purely an exercise in cutting costs in my opinion. Same with the mens JWC. Both are two of the most short-sighted decisions taken by the game's World governing body in the recent past IMO.

John has made a good point in the previous post as well, my recent trip I learned that they are getting helped by WR to develop 7's hence why XV is not a priority in these countries is all about 7, 7, 7, which imo is wrong and very short sighted. I believe cutting down to 12 is another way of forcing the more develop teams to switch to 7's the conspiracy theorists in me is been done by stealth.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 19:52

victorsra wrote:No idea.

Just to clarify

New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA, England, France, Ireland are already qualified.

Europe has 3 places;

And there will be a World Qualifiers for the last 2 places, with South Africa, Samoa and the best two teams from Asian Championship.

Mathematically, Italy and Wales have also now qualified - unless Scotland can beat France, Ireland and Italy by cricket scores.

Scotland will play the winner of this summer's European Trophy (ie. Spain) for the final place.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 15 Feb 2016, 21:03

johnbirch wrote:Scotland will play the winner of this summer's European Trophy (ie. Spain) for the final place.

Well there are still one or two countries that Spain need to beat to get that far, but I take your point since they must be favourites for the Trophy.

The Dutch Union is starting to pull out of its financial crisis and the women's team is up and running again after failing to enter a team to defend its previous trophy. I watched them get well beaten by a fairly inexperienced Scotland team 4 years ago, so unless a lot has changed it will be an uphill struggle.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 19:11

NedRugby wrote:
johnbirch wrote:Scotland will play the winner of this summer's European Trophy (ie. Spain) for the final place.

Well there are still one or two countries that Spain need to beat to get that far, but I take your point since they must be favourites for the Trophy.

The Dutch Union is starting to pull out of its financial crisis and the women's team is up and running again after failing to enter a team to defend its previous trophy. I watched them get well beaten by a fairly inexperienced Scotland team 4 years ago, so unless a lot has changed it will be an uphill struggle.

That is great news and you would have all of your ex-sevens players available, in theory - and that would make a huge difference. If the Dutch can enter - and maybe get a few warm-up games first - they are the only team that could stop Spain.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Wed, 17 Feb 2016, 23:19

johnbirch wrote:Of course the last two tournaments have sold out - and 2017 probably will as well - so if World Rugby were just a bit more ambitious the tournament might not be seen as an asset and not just a cost, which would maybe change attitudes.
Exactly

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 29 Feb 2016, 06:40

Italy defeats Scotland 22-7 in Bologna and goes to the World Cup, together with Wales
http://www.rugby.it/news/wp-content/upl ... 10x466.jpg

It was anyway a quite good Scotland, they should be able to take the third european qualifying spot

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 29 Feb 2016, 17:00

I started writing up the qualification process on Wikipedia.

Can anyone let me know if I'm missing anything, or if anything is wrong?

Three key pieces of information I'm unsure of:
1. Details of the European tournament
2. Details of the Asia tournament (I believe it'll be Japan, Hong Kong, and Kazakhstan again?)
3. Details of the Oceania qualification process

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Wome ... qualifying

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 29 Feb 2016, 17:47

To begin, thanks for your work; I have a lot of gratitude for the obscure redactors of the wikipedia pages

About first step of european qualifications, I use to consider the whole standing of the Six Nations (id est including also the match of Wal, Ita and Sco against Eng, Ire and Fra) and to utilize the old points system (2 for victory, 1 for draw…). I'm pretty sure to be right at least about the first point, because all the media considered this last match between Italy and Scotland as a decider, while with your system Italy would have been already qualified before this game.
Therefore I think the correct standing for European qualification step one is: Italy 8, Wales 8, Scotland 0 (four victories for Italy and Wales between last year and this year)

About asian qualification, there's a calendar on Asia Rugby website, even if with some conflicting dates
April
30 ARWC: Japan v Kazakhstan JRFU TBC ARWC Round 1
May
7 ARWC: Hong Kong v Japan HKRU HKFC ARWC Round 2
7 ARWC: Kazakhstan v Hong Kong KRF Almaty ARWC Round 3
14 ARWC: Kazkahstan v Japan KRF Almaty ARWC Round 4
28 ARWC: Japan v Hong Kong JRFU TBC ARWC Round 5
June
4 ARWC: Hong Kong v Kazakhstan HKRU HKFC ARWC Round 6

Can't help about your other doubts

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Mon, 29 Feb 2016, 19:58

I definitely used the wrong points system for the Six Nations, so I'll update that.

The way I read it, it's only the games between the teams in qualification that count, but I could be wrong... I'm basing this off of a year-old Globe & Mail article. If someone knows for sure either way, and can point to a source, I'd appreciate it.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 01 Mar 2016, 12:00

European/Six Nations qualification: Somewhat academic, but the coaches I spoke to from Scotland, Italy and France seemed to assume that ALL 6N games counted, not just those against each other. Hence Wales' win against France was presented as meaning that Wales qualified.

European championship: No news from RE (needless to say) but I have heard from contacts that Switzerland and Netherlands are entering, along with Spain needless to say, plus presumably Russia, Belgium and the Czech Republic (though no word from them), nor anything from Sweden who you would expect to take part as they have never missed in the past. Clearly that number of teams will require an event lasting a bit longer than the 3-4 days RE have given for recent championships.

No idea about the winner v Scotland play-off - even Shade Munro did not have a clue.

Oceania: By the sounds of it not a walkover by Samoa as press reports suggest that Fiji want to enter. Again what plans there are for an Oceania qualifier are anyone's guess

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 04 Mar 2016, 03:05

In a letter written by FER president to Spanish Sports Council he states Spain will host European Championship in the first two weeks of October 2016:
http://ferugby.es/userfiles/Solicitud%2 ... ciones.pdf

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 05 Mar 2016, 20:50

Fiji are also applying to host the Oceania pre-qualifier (winner will meet Asian top 2 and South Africa) http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=344214

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 12 May 2016, 15:43

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/158881

Tournament logo

9 November, 2016 – WRWC 2017 pool draw in Belfast

December 2016 – Final teams qualify for WRWC 2017

March 2017 – WRWC 2017 trophy tour commences

9 August, 2017 – Women’s Rugby World Cup 2017 begins at UCD, Dublin

22 August, 2017 – Semi-finals at QUB and Kingspan Stadium, Belfast

26 August, 2017 – WRWC 2017 final takes place at Kingspan Stadium, Belfast

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 May 2016, 18:45

So Kingspan will receive the 1st-4th semifinals, while QUB will host 9-12th and probably 5th-8th?

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby