Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Women's World Cup

Posts: 2492
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

2017 Women's World Cup

Postby victorsra » Wed, 31 Dec 2014, 21:11

Any news about possible host countries?

Ireland is bidding to have the tournament in Limerick: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/l ... -1.1892876
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 260
Joined: Thu, 19 Jun 2014, 03:34
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby rampage » Mon, 05 Jan 2015, 02:35

An article from Canada's "Globe and Mail" indicates that the next WRWC will feature 12 teams, from:
- The top 7 from the 2014 WRWC (England, Canada, France, New Zealand, USA, Australia and Ireland)
- The top 2 from the Women's Six Nations (outside of England, France and Ireland) in 2015 and 2016
- The playoff winner between the last place Women's Six Nations team and the winner of the women's ENC
- The top 2 from a playoff between South Africa, one Oceania team and two Asian teams.

This make up precludes any South American, Caribbean, Central American and African (apart from South Africa) teams from qualifying. This is, of course, ridiculous, and, sadly, is par for the course when it comes to the IRB.

Posts: 62
Joined: Thu, 09 Oct 2014, 09:38
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby stuartdm » Mon, 05 Jan 2015, 11:32

rampage wrote:An article from Canada's "Globe and Mail" indicates that the next WRWC will feature 12 teams, from:
- The top 7 from the 2014 WRWC (England, Canada, France, New Zealand, USA, Australia and Ireland)
- The top 2 from the Women's Six Nations (outside of England, France and Ireland) in 2015 and 2016
- The playoff winner between the last place Women's Six Nations team and the winner of the women's ENC
- The top 2 from a playoff between South Africa, one Oceania team and two Asian teams.

This make up precludes any South American, Caribbean, Central American and African (apart from South Africa) teams from qualifying. This is, of course, ridiculous, and, sadly, is par for the course when it comes to the IRB.


Agreed. Whilst it would be highly unlikely that any teams from these regions would qualify, they at least should be given the chance.

User avatar
Posts: 2472
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Canalina » Mon, 05 Jan 2015, 15:43

rampage wrote:An article from Canada's "Globe and Mail" indicates that the next WRWC will feature 12 teams, from:
- The top 7 from the 2014 WRWC (England, Canada, France, New Zealand, USA, Australia and Ireland)
- The top 2 from the Women's Six Nations (outside of England, France and Ireland) in 2015 and 2016
- The playoff winner between the last place Women's Six Nations team and the winner of the women's ENC
- The top 2 from a playoff between South Africa, one Oceania team and two Asian teams.

This make up precludes any South American, Caribbean, Central American and African (apart from South Africa) teams from qualifying. This is, of course, ridiculous, and, sadly, is par for the course when it comes to the IRB.

Sorry but I'm quite bored about the usual remarks against IRB. For every sport fan, the world federation of his preferred sport is ridiculous and incompetent, and all its decisions are fool. No exceptions.
The last two editions of the Women World Cup have been wonderful. Who remembers that? No one. A negative fact is reported in the forums for years and years, as absolute proof of the IRB's incompetence. A positive fact is forgotten in a second.
Which south american sides should have competed in the qualifying? There are not. Colombia and Venezuela are planning just now to build a XV national team; Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile have no one.
Which caribbean? There are not. They played XV regional championships until few years ago but, even if it's cruel to be said, some teams had difficulties to pass the ball more than two times in a row. It's better if they focus on 7s, for some years.
Which central american? They have barely a 7s national team.
I think the only teams complaining this qualifying path could be Uganda and Kenya, but honestly they are still not at the level of a World Cup and they would have no chance against South Africa. This notwithstanding, they should have had a chance, I agree; but I'm quite sure that the decision to cut them out from the qualification process has been taken consulting their federations

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby grande » Mon, 05 Jan 2015, 16:20

Yeah, I'm a big women's rugby supporter, but I kinda agree with Canalina. Outside of Canada and the US, there have been 0 women's international rugby games in the America's since July 2011. As far as I can tell, no South American team has ever gotten 15 women together to play a game.

While it would be nice if Kenya or Uganda got another go, Uganda got creamed 63-3 by a (relatively weak) South African side while trying to qualify last time around, so I question if there was any value to it.

Posts: 260
Joined: Thu, 19 Jun 2014, 03:34
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby rampage » Thu, 08 Jan 2015, 00:53

I would argue if there is no avenue for them to make the WRWC, then what incentive is there for national bodies to fund women's 15-a-side rugby.

I see the problem for women's 15-a-side rugby being the same as women's test cricket - both there is large funding for shorter versions (7-a-side rugby and ODI and T20 cricket) while not giving women much shot at the full version of the game.

Posts: 224
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 08 Jan 2015, 10:42

rampage wrote:I would argue if there is no avenue for them to make the WRWC, then what incentive is there for national bodies to fund women's 15-a-side rugby.

I see the problem for women's 15-a-side rugby being the same as women's test cricket - both there is large funding for shorter versions (7-a-side rugby and ODI and T20 cricket) while not giving women much shot at the full version of the game.


grande wrote:Yeah, I'm a big women's rugby supporter, but I kinda agree with Canalina. Outside of Canada and the US, there have been 0 women's international rugby games in the America's since July 2011. As far as I can tell, no South American team has ever gotten 15 women together to play a game.

While it would be nice if Kenya or Uganda got another go, Uganda got creamed 63-3 by a (relatively weak) South African side while trying to qualify last time around, so I question if there was any value to it.


Rampage, that is the argument that the African unions make. With no chance of qualifying for the WRWC they do not see the point in having 15 aside teams yet it is more costly to fund them. While everyone acknowledges that at the moment SA is streets ahead of everyone else, having a 15 aside qualifying competition in Africa would definitely increase the interest in the sport. I hope that there are plans for IRB to have African qualifying tournaments in the future otherwise the plans that other African countries (Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, Tunisia) had made to begin 15 aside women's rugby after the first qualifying tournament was held in 2013 might be shelved. I really hope they do not though. However, Uganda is now going to focus on 7s now and 15s might get dropped along the way. With no one to play against, Kenya might also drop their 15s programme. All this is a BIG might but with that being the trend in some countries in Asia and Europe that used to have 15s rugby, it is not at all inconceivable. Few seem to understand the signficance the game against SA had on 15 aside women's rugby in the continent. Yes, Uganda was creamed by SA 63-3 in 2013 however it was the first time that any African country had played SA in 15s. In addition, the qualifying event attracted more attention. Larger crowds than usual showed up to watch the women's Elgon cup match which was part of the qualification process. They did so simply because it was a world cup qualifying game. CAR did Uganda a great injustice when they made the game against SA a one off game in SA despite requests from the Uganda Rugb Union to have a home leg. For players, playing away from home is difficult enough but when your chance to qualify for the world cup hinges on one game that is not in neutral territority against a much more experienced team ... then the game was lost before we even travelled. Yes, Uganda still would have lost to SA but not by such a large margin if the team had belief that there was a home leg to be played or if they had played a home leg prior to the away leg. Playing at home against SA would have been a great experience. There were only a handful of fans at the game in a big stadium in SA. With a smaller rugby ground, Uganda would have filled it with Ugandan fans (and East Africans), South African expatriates (and people from southern countries who would naturally support SA) and rugby fans in general and the atmosphere would have been electric and the game would have been broadcast live on national TV. We lost that opportunity. We also lost a big chance to advertise women's game further and get South African companies on board to sponsor women's rugby.

The final downside is that recruitment of girls and women into rugby is actually getting more difficult because with the focus on 7s we can no longer say rugby is a game for all shapes, sizes, weights and speeds. We now have to fight with the more traditional sports for fast, agile players with high endurance levels. The players suited for 15 aside rugby who are already playing rugby are also rapidly losing interest in rugby. Rugby 7s is for a special breed of player - it is not a sport for all.

Sorry for the really long post. :P

User avatar
Posts: 2472
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Canalina » Thu, 08 Jan 2015, 11:41

I think you should be a spokesperson for the african women rugby, Ugrugbychiclet. If you haven't already done it, you should ask to attend the next Rugby Africa congress to show your point of view.
You are a sort of leader, I think, of the Uganda national team, id est the second power in african women rugby, so you are surely entitled to speak in a continental congress
I still think that 7s is the best chance to expand rugby worldwide, but your statement "7s is just for specialized players, rugby XV is a sport for all" is very efficacious

User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 09 Jan 2015, 09:47

The argument that Uganda have no chance to beat SA so there is no point to playing is not used in the mens game. Even the lowest ranked WR (IRB) member gets to play at least 1 qualifyer.

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby grande » Fri, 09 Jan 2015, 13:28

Thinking about it more, there probably should be an African qualifier, so I retract that part of my previous post. However, I'm still fine with there being no Caribbean/South American qualification, since the sport seems to not exist in that region.

I'd love to see a Women's Rugby Championship get started up...

Posts: 260
Joined: Thu, 19 Jun 2014, 03:34
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby rampage » Mon, 19 Jan 2015, 12:29

grande wrote:Thinking about it more, there probably should be an African qualifier, so I retract that part of my previous post. However, I'm still fine with there being no Caribbean/South American qualification, since the sport seems to not exist in that region.


What incentive do Caribbean and South American rugby boards have to invest in women's 15-a-side rugby if there is no avenue to the RWC?

User avatar
Posts: 2472
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Canalina » Tue, 20 Jan 2015, 05:57

I think you are overvaluing the power of a place in the WRWC qualifying path. If rugby in those countries is still at a low level is because of many other reasons, not because they can't hope to play (and just for the next edition) in the world cup. Until few years ago there was the rugby XV caribbean championship: if the event then faded away is because there were too few national teams interested. Not the opposite.
I agree that it would be kind if every nation had a chance to qualify to the world cup, but I suppose it's not basilar for minnow rugby. You have to build a decent XV movement (some clubs, a small local championship), then you may claim a place in the world cup qualifying to bring your movement to an upper level
Now every rugby nation has a chance to go to the olympics, a target more fascinating than a world cup in the way to collect new funds and new players and to boost the popularity of rugby. I've read and appreciated the messages of Ugrugbychiclet, but I still think that spreading 7s will help in the future also rugby XV

Posts: 260
Joined: Thu, 19 Jun 2014, 03:34
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby rampage » Wed, 21 Jan 2015, 04:42

Canalina wrote:but I still think that spreading 7s will help in the future also rugby XV


While I appreciate the rest of your comment, I have to disagree with you on this point. I can see where you would think this is correct, but I have seen this been proven wrong in cricket already.

It was thought that one-day cricket would get more women's international teams into test cricket. The opposite has happened - test cricket for women is all but dead. There have been 5 test matches in the last 5 years, three played between Australia and England. In that time, there have been 215 one day internationals and 247 T20 internationals played by 11 nations (and doesn't include regional based ODI and T20 competitions between minor nations).

I have also seen women's XV rugby in Australia pretty much die over the last 10 years. With no regional international competition, the money dried up. The ARU defunded the women's game in 2002. As late as 2005, there was a two division Sydney comp with upwards of 16 teams - now there is just 6. Each country zone in NSW used to have its own women's XV comp - now only Newcastle does. Sydney is the strongest club rugby area in Australia, but in women's rugby, it is one of the weakest - Brisbane (10), Melbourne (7) and Perth (7) have stronger women's comps.

There hasn't been a national XV's rugby competition for women since 2013.

User avatar
Posts: 2472
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Canalina » Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 07:21

I can't confute your data but I may assure that in Italy the trend is more or less the opposite. Here women rugby is growing; it's a slow growth but it's a growth. And apparently the growth is leaded by 7s. The short version of rugby is more easy in many way (more simple to play, less "fearing" for a girl, it requires less players than XV; and a 7s club involves less costs, also because with an increasing number of teams you have to ride less kilometers to find an opponent), so the number of 7s squads is growing year by year and sometime one of this 7s teams transforms itself in a XV team. Furthermore, a XV team with too few girls may temporarily commute in a 7s team, while when there was no 7s activity those girls had to abandon rugby.
After reaching a record of 16 clubs in the '90s, the italian XV championship fell to just 9 teams few years ago; but now the number raised up to 14, plus some dozens of 7s teams. And the target of many of those 7s girls is to play XV.

A facebook page about italian women rugby: https://www.facebook.com/ladiesrugbyclub

User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 23 Jan 2015, 15:56

rampage wrote:I have also seen women's XV rugby in Australia pretty much die over the last 10 years. With no regional international competition, the money dried up. The ARU defunded the women's game in 2002. As late as 2005, there was a two division Sydney comp with upwards of 16 teams - now there is just 6. Each country zone in NSW used to have its own women's XV comp - now only Newcastle does. Sydney is the strongest club rugby area in Australia, but in women's rugby, it is one of the weakest - Brisbane (10), Melbourne (7) and Perth (7) have stronger women's comps.

There hasn't been a national XV's rugby competition for women since 2013.


Scrumqueens have just tweeted that a new championship will be played this year.

Posts: 260
Joined: Thu, 19 Jun 2014, 03:34
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby rampage » Mon, 26 Jan 2015, 20:19

The reason women's XV rugby is booming in Europe is because there are annual continental based competitions, meaning there is a reason for European unions to fund its development. There is not much in regional based competitions outside of Europe.

There is definitely none in Oceania or South America. Based on comments above, there is none in Africa, and apart from USA v Canada rivalry, there is none in North America. I'm not sure about Asia, but I couldn't find any women's competition outside of 7's.

So possibly my criticism of World Rugby is a bit harsh, when apart from Rugby Europe, the development of women's XV rugby is pretty much non-existent.

Posts: 535
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Thomas » Mon, 26 Jan 2015, 21:32

Frankly don't agree that 7's is the path to XV they are two different streams and in fact you need to teach players the basics of the sport (XV) if they are to compete in 7. I have seen first hand the lack of championships or incentives to grow XV and leave it to just 7's. There is a similar situation to what is happening in Central and South America to Africa (I.e. Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Zambia) too much emphasis on 7's not enough on bringing different players or develop women's Rugby.

This argument that 7's is the way of the future is flawed. Not increasing places for 2017 World Cup is telling; particularly not just for Europe but will not encourage the likes of Mexico or Uganda to expand their women's program.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby victorsra » Tue, 10 Feb 2015, 20:35

There is definitely none in Oceania or South America. Based on comments above, there is none in Africa, and apart from USA v Canada rivalry, there is none in North America. I'm not sure about Asia, but I couldn't find any women's competition outside of 7'


There is an anual Asian Women's Championship for Rugby XV. Kazakhstan, Japan and Hong Kong are in the competition, but I don't know who will be the fourth side. Last year it was Singapore. http://www.arfu.com/news/category/asian-womens-xvs


Definitly World Rugby should finance a 15-a-side international competition, like the Womens Nations Cup organized between 2008 and 2013. I would think in an annual model similar to Junior competitions.

Division One: New Zealand, Australia, USA, Canada, France, England, Ireland and Wales
Division Two: Scotland, Italy, Samoa, South Africa, Spain, Kazakhstan, Netherlands and Japan
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 106
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 18:45
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby CraigChalmers » Mon, 02 Mar 2015, 13:29

Ireland bid to host in Dublin (University College Dublin, pools) and Belfast (Queens University and Ravenhill, Semi's/Final)

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/News/LatestN ... -2017.aspx

User avatar
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu, 08 May 2014, 11:00
National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:06

The bis was won by Ireland, they will host it in Dublin and Belfast in August 2017.

Ireland to host Women’s Rugby World Cup 2017

Dublin and Belfast will host Women’s Rugby World Cup 2017 after World Rugby awarded the hosting rights for the prestigious tournament to the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU).

With women’s rugby continuing to experience record global growth, the pool stages will be held at University College Dublin, before the world’s top female rugby players convene in Belfast for the semi-finals and positional play-offs, including the final at the magnificent Kingspan Stadium.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/70650

User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 13 May 2015, 22:26

They should be well able to host this. I suppose it might mean the men's RWC is less likely to come here. Rowan should be happy.

Posts: 2492
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 May 2015, 00:04

Will the number of teams be the same? 12?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed, 16 Apr 2014, 22:26
National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby grande » Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:09

Currently, I believe that's the plan. A ridiculous number of teams will auto-qualify, I think seven?

Posts: 203
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 19 May 2015, 07:17

I can also throw in that I hear indirectly from sources that in Africa at least (and I dare say elsewhere) for 2021 a Union will only be able to enter WRWC if it has a national XVs league with at least 4 teams in it. That is what Uganda and Kenya have been told anyway...

User avatar
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:35

Well at least that ruling has some kind of logic. Better than saying "hey we're having qualifying rounds, but youre not invited" which is basically what they told Kenya and Uganda this time as far as I can tell.

Next

Return to Women's Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests