Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Women's World Cup

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby Canalina » Thu, 12 May 2016, 20:04

Still no details about the qualifications, a part the part of european process that went through the 6N http://www.rwcwomens.com/qualifying/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 12 May 2016, 21:29

It is sad that the WRWC has exactly the size and model of the Men's U20 World Championship, but the U20s tournament is every year and usually with better stadiums than the WRWC... even though WRWC Qualy is that mess... it is sad... I hope for 2021 the WRWC has all matches in proper stadiums (for 5 to 10k places, yes, but more like the U20s Championship) and with a proper Qualy system involving more teams... as the WRWC looks like the U20 Championship, at least a Qualy tournament like de U20 Trophy the WRWC should have...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Aug 2016, 18:38

The final repechage tournament will be a triangular between Japan, Hong Kong and just one oceanian team, still not specified

Dec 9, Hong Kong v Japan
Dec 13, Japan v Oceania
Dec 17, Hong Kong v Oceania

http://asiarugby.com/calendar-1

The tournament will be hosted in Hong Kong, like the 60% of the asian tournaments :)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 21 Aug 2016, 21:01

Any news about the European qualy?

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 22 Aug 2016, 05:24

victorsra wrote:Any news about the European qualy?

From a Scrumqueens article in May:
The European qualification tournament will include just six teams - Spain, Belgium, Netherlands, Russia, Czech Republic and Switzerland (the latter two competing for the first time), with the winner playing-off against Scotland.

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/news-round

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 24 Aug 2016, 19:46

victorsra wrote:Any news about the European qualy?

6-15 October in Madrid (according to Swiss RU website)

This suggests that the six teams will play in two pools of three, with games on 6th, 9th and 12th, with a final on the 15th. Any other model (say, a single pool or 5 or 6 teams) would need at least five rounds of games, and that pattern doesn't really fit.

WR rankings - assuming they use them - are 9 Spain, 15 Netherlands, 20 Russia, 21 Belgium, 37 Switzerland, 48 Czech Rep, which would suggest pools looking like:

A: Spain, Belgium, Switzerland
B: Netherlands, Russia, Czech Republic

But RE's rankings, based on recent European Trophies, would be slightly different (Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Russia, Czech Republic) which would effectively swap Belgium and Russia.

Either way. Spain v Netherlands in the final.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Thu, 25 Aug 2016, 08:40

johnbirch wrote:This suggests that the six teams will play in two pools of three, with games on 6th, 9th and 12th, with a final on the 15th. Any other model (say, a single pool or 5 or 6 teams) would need at least five rounds of games, and that pattern doesn't really fit.
There would be still 4 dates. WRCQ 2014's system can be used too (3 dates only) : 2 pools of 3, every team playing those of the other pool, with a "round robin" ranking and without a finale.

http://www.rugbyeurope.eu//archives-group-155.htm

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 25 Aug 2016, 21:25

Well, I just hope they do not repeat that unfair nonsense!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 05 Sep 2016, 09:54

Spain is already training for the European Championship and WC qualifier: http://www.ferugby.es/noticias2.php?tit ... Valladolid

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 06 Sep 2016, 10:52

ScrumQueens say that the oceanian play-off will be Fiji v Papua New Guinea, on november 5th

First test ever for PNG, no show by the samoan team which well impressed in the last WRWC

And, well, it's always easy to purpose ideas but, considering that Hong Kong federation seems in good wealth, they could have transformed the final qualifying tournament in a quadrangular with Jap, Hkg, Fij, Png. The game days would have remained three but every team would have played three matches

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 08 Sep 2016, 18:10

Let me see if I understand now: there is 1 spot for Europe and 2 for Asia/Oceania? And no African teams in the Qualy, right?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 09 Sep 2016, 06:16

Yes, I think it's so: one from Europe and two from the asian/oceanian triangular

Rugby Europe publishes pools and fixtures of the european trophy http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competition-119.htm

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 19 Sep 2016, 16:24

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 20 Sep 2016, 21:56

Canalina wrote:Rugby Europe publishes pools and fixtures of the european trophy http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competition-119.htm

So it looks like 2 pools of 3, then 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd to get the rankings. According to the form books it should be Spain beating Netherlands in the final. I daren't pick the rest of the positions, too little to go from.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 21 Sep 2016, 14:47

NedRugby wrote:
Canalina wrote:Rugby Europe publishes pools and fixtures of the european trophy http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/competition-119.htm

So it looks like 2 pools of 3, then 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd to get the rankings. According to the form books it should be Spain beating Netherlands in the final. I daren't pick the rest of the positions, too little to go from.

What is interesting is the seeding...
1. Belgium; 2. Switzerland, 3. Russia; 4. Czech Republic; 5. Spain; 6. Netherlands

Rugby Europe ignoring almost everything apart from the results of the last two European Trophies. Fortunately it makes little difference other than making the last round of pool games, most probably, dead rubbers.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 22 Sep 2016, 05:08

That's what I thought too. Pure good fortune that Spain and Netherlands were kept apart. Same philosophy in the girls (U18) 7s threw in Canada and USA as non-seeds and messed up the pools.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Thu, 22 Sep 2016, 08:40

Interesting article out of Oceania http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/313473/sport-samoa-denied-chance-to-qualify-for-women's-rugby-world-cup

Samoa not in the WRWC not because they could not be bothered and wanted to concentrate on 7s (which was my best guess, being as its a familiar refrain elsewhere) but because they are banned (by the Oceania regional federation) from entering due to insufficient domestic 15s. In short, the same reason Kenya and Uganda were blocked.

Apart from my puzzling at the idea that Fiji and PNG have significantly more domestic 15s than Samoa (really? Can't say I've noticed!) is a feeling that the rugby authorities are trying to walk before they can run with all this.

The African ban, after all, has done way more harm than good with no Elgon Cup this year - a major backward step. Is Samoa being blocked likely to lead to 15s leagues, or more likely players and authorities saying "to hell with this we'll just do sevens then"? After all, countries take part in international sevens even when their national team is in effect their only team (stand up Luxembourg - for starters!). So why all high and mighty over 15s? Is it just a sneaky cost saver?

Its all incredibly arbitrary - Samoa (and Kenya and Uganda) being told they were out of the cup due to what is, in effect, a retrospective rule invented out of the blue, with no hope of appeal or chance to reform, and despite being allowed to play in previous WRWCs.

And funny how this only applies to the little countries - like Japan being banned in 2002 (IIRC) because they had not played enough tests in the previous 4 years. Never hear that happening to, say, Australia (who could also run foul on domestic 15s in the future if their concentration on 7s continues).

Perhaps WR should be pressed to declare their entry criteria for 2021 NOW!

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 22 Sep 2016, 12:20

johnbirch wrote:Interesting article out of Oceania http://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/313473/sport-samoa-denied-chance-to-qualify-for-women's-rugby-world-cup

Samoa not in the WRWC not because they could not be bothered and wanted to concentrate on 7s (which was my best guess, being as its a familiar refrain elsewhere) but because they are banned (by the Oceania regional federation) from entering due to insufficient domestic 15s. In short, the same reason Kenya and Uganda were blocked.

Apart from my puzzling at the idea that Fiji and PNG have significantly more domestic 15s than Samoa (really? Can't say I've noticed!) is a feeling that the rugby authorities are trying to walk before they can run with all this.

The African ban, after all, has done way more harm than good with no Elgon Cup this year - a major backward step. Is Samoa being blocked likely to lead to 15s leagues, or more likely players and authorities saying "to hell with this we'll just do sevens then"? After all, countries take part in international sevens even when their national team is in effect their only team (stand up Luxembourg - for starters!). So why all high and mighty over 15s? Is it just a sneaky cost saver?

Its all incredibly arbitrary - Samoa (and Kenya and Uganda) being told they were out of the cup due to what is, in effect, a retrospective rule invented out of the blue, with no hope of appeal or chance to reform, and despite being allowed to play in previous WRWCs.

And funny how this only applies to the little countries - like Japan being banned in 2002 (IIRC) because they had not played enough tests in the previous 4 years. Never hear that happening to, say, Australia (who could also run foul on domestic 15s in the future if their concentration on 7s continues).

Perhaps WR should be pressed to declare their entry criteria for 2021 NOW!

I was chatting to a Kenyan player in Zimbabwe and she told me that girls who can only play 15s have started quitting rugby. They see no point in playing if the focus is only on 7s. At least they had 2 international games a year to look forward to and that has been taken away from them. We would have had the same situation in Uganda if Catherine Spencer and the Tag Rugby Trust had not organised that 15 aside friendly with a predominantly English Barbarians team (TRT Tigers) early this year. The 15s players felt they had one 15s "international" so despite being very disappointed that there was no Elgon cup they at least are holding onto a hope that it will be there next year. If it is not, then I see players hanging up boots and few young girls who are not cut out of for 7s taking up rugby as they will not have any role models.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 07:00

The Dutch squad for the European Trophy has a strong 7s look to it:

Code: Select all
Joyce van Altena             RC Hilversum **   
Annemarije van Rossum        RC Hilversum *
Marit Bakker                 RC Delft *   
Maria Louise Schoeman-Pieren AAC
Francien van den Berg        RUS    
Pien Selbeck                 AAC *
Roos van Beurden             RUS    
Fenna Stomps                 RUS
Hannah Draaisma              RUS    
Asia Udding                  RC Delft
Laurijn Draaisma             RUS    
Linde van der Velde          Castricum
Elisabeth Geertsema          AAC    
Inge Visser                  AAC *
Saskia Herrmann              AAC    
Marsha Völker                RC Amstelveen **
Anne Hielckert               AAC *   
Tessa Wijmans                AAC
Sanne Klem                   RC Hilversum *   
Merel Willems                AAC
Lorraine Laros               RC Delft **   
Marleen Zethof               AAC
Imara van Loon               RUS    
Petra Zwart                  RUS capt.
Shereza Pool                 RC Delft

* Played at the recent Euro 7s in Mallemort
** Played regularly for NL 7s team previously

http://www.rugby.nl/blog/oranje-dames-1 ... nship-2016

The article in the link says that seven of the team played in the latest leg of the Euro 7s, but I could only find six. The captain isn't listed, but from what I've read previously I think it will be Petra Zwart.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 11:56

Spain

MACIAS VALCAYO, Isabel - OLÍMPICO POZUELO
RICO VÁZQUEZ, Isabel - OLÍMPICO POZUELO
REDONDO, Elena - OLÍMPICO POZUELO
SCHIAVÓN MATEAO, Irene - OLÍMPICO POZUELO
ETXEBARRÍA, Iera - OLÍMPICO POZUELO
RIBERA GARCÍA, María - XV SANSE SCRUM
BRAVO BRAGADO, Marina - CR CISNEROS
ERBINA ARAÑA, Amaia - CR CISNEROS
FERNADNEZ DE C., Anne - CR CISNEROS
GONZÁLEZ, Aroa - INEF BARCELONA
LOSADA GIFRA, María - INEF BARCELONA
DEL PAN MORUNO, Ángela - INEF BARCELONA
RAMÓN GUARDIA, Anna - INEF BARCELONA
GASSO GARCÍA, Diana - GOTICS RC
RIAL LÓPEZ, Vanesa - CRAT CORUÑA
CASTELO MEJUTO, Mónica - CRAT CORUÑA
MEDÍN LÓPEZ, Paula - CRAT CORUÑA
VINUEZA LOYOLA, Jeanina Alejandra. - CAU VALENCIA
JAURENA ATXA, Saioa - GETXO R.T.
PLÀ VEGUÉS, Bárbara - GETXO R.T.
PÉREZ RUIZ, Carmen - GETXO R.T.
CACHO GABILONDO, Enara - HERNANI RT
DELGADO DUEÑAS, Laura - STADE TARBES PYRENEES
CASADO GONZÁLEZ, María - BSORF
SORIA MAZCUÑAN, Ángela - SUNNY BANK DRAGONS
GARCÍA RODRÍGUEZ, Patricia - F.E.R.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 27 Sep 2016, 16:28

I'm not so familiar with the Spanish names, but I notice at least a couple here also from the 7s squad (Pla, Garcia). I wonder how good Russia would be if they decided to use some of their 7s players.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 21:21

I have the Czech team:
No. 1 Aneta Šmejdová, club RC Sparta Praha
4 caps

No. 2 Jenny Anna Vik, Aylesford Bulls RFC
no cap

No. 3 Sára Lea Exnerová, RC Sparta Praha
3 caps

No. 4 Šárka Žižková, RC Tatra Smíchov
3 caps

No. 5 Karolina Filsáková, RK Petrovice
5 caps

No. 6 Martina Damborová, RC Slavia Praha
no cap

No. 7 Pavla Fišrová, RC Tatra Smíchov
no cap

No. 8 Kateřina Nováková, RK Petrovice
3 caps

No. 9 Klára Hladilová, RC Sparta Praha
4 caps

No. 10 Pavlína Čuprová, RC Tatra Smíchov
6 caps

No. 11 Zuzana Malá, RC Narbonne Méditerranée, France
3 caps

No. 12 Kateřina Pokorná, RC Tatra Smíchov
3 caps

No. 13 Kristýna Exnerová, RC Slavia Praha
no cap

No. 14 Václava Hrabětová, RK Petrovice
1 cap

No. 15 Kateřina Daníčková, RC Tatra Smíchov
3 caps

No. 16 Marion Philippe, RC Sparta Praha
no cap

No. 17 Květuše Kottková, RC Slavia Praha
5 caps

No. 18 Dominika Havelková, RC Přelouč
6 caps

No. 19 Jana Nedvídková, RC Sedlčany
no cap

No. 20 Zuzana Skokanová, RC JIMI Vyškov
3 caps

No. 21 Tereza Haffnerová, RC Sparta Praha
no cap

No. 22 Kamila Rousová, RK Petrovice
6 caps

No. 23 Maia Pavlenko, Lille Métropole Rugby Club Villeneuvois, France
no cap

No. 24 Kateřina Burianová , RC Plzeň
no cap

No. 25 Nelly Brtová, RC Sparta Praha
no cap

No. 26 Kateřina Wackermannová, The Falcons RFC, Malta
1 cap

Staff:
Head Coach Richard Krützner
Coach Vlastimil Bažant
Coach Zdeněk Albrecht
Physio Barbora Kopecká
Manager Martin Charvát

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Wed, 28 Sep 2016, 22:33

NedRugby wrote:I'm not so familiar with the Spanish names, but I notice at least a couple here also from the 7s squad (Pla, Garcia). I wonder how good Russia would be if they decided to use some of their 7s players.

It´s a mix.

This ones, went to Rio.

ETXEBARRÍA, Iera - OLÍMPICO POZUELO
RIBERA GARCÍA, María - XV SANSE SCRUM
BRAVO BRAGADO, Marina - CR CISNEROS
ERBINA ARAÑA, Amaia - CR CISNEROS
DEL PAN MORUNO, Ángela - INEF BARCELONA
RIAL LÓPEZ, Vanesa - CRAT CORUÑA
MEDÍN LÓPEZ, Paula - CRAT CORUÑA
PLÀ VEGUÉS, Bárbara - GETXO R.T.
CASADO GONZÁLEZ, María - BSORF
GARCÍA RODRÍGUEZ, Patricia - F.E.R

Also Irene Schiavon went as the number 13.

Eli Martinez, the captain in rio is injured and Berta Garcia is not part of the team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Thu, 29 Sep 2016, 12:59

Belgium

BAHRI ILHAM Boitsfort RC
BEECKMAN ESTHER Dendermondse RC
BIJNENS JULIE Boitsfort RC
BOSMAN LAURA Dendermondse RC
BRIQUET AMANDINE RC Soignies
CRESPIN PHILIPPINE RC La Hulpe
DE GRAVE CISKA Lille Métropole Rugby Club Villeneuvois
DE VOS ANOUSH Dendermondse RC
DEDONDER CARMEN Dendermondse RC
DEMARBRE MAITE RC Soignies
D'HAESELEIR SYTSKE Lille Métropole Rugby Club Villeneuvois
HEEMERYCK LOTTE Dendermondse RC
LALLI MARGAUX Lille Métropole Rugby Club Villeneuvois
LECLOUX LAURANNE Boitsfort RC
LENAERTS ALISON Boitsfort RC
LEPAGE STEPHANIE Boitsfort RC
MAUPERTUIS NAOMY RC La Hulpe
MUSCH EMILIE Boitsfort RC
PIEN NELE Dendermonde RC
ROWIES LAURA Boitsfort RC
RUTSAERT MARIE RC Leuven
SEGHERS BRITTE Mechelen RFC
STEVINS HELOISE Boitsfort RC
STEVINS MARGAUX Boitsfort RC
TORRE ALICIA Rugby Coq Mosan
VERZIN SARAH Boitsfort RC
staff :
Ernst Philippe, Orban Romain, Bossert Xavier : coach
Macon Aurore : Physio

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 04 Oct 2016, 08:18

After the failure of the RWC bid, I'd like that the italian federation prepared a bid for the WRWC. The Veneto region seems the more fit: Rovigo and Treviso are the most rugby-passionate cities in Italy and also Padova has a strong tradition. For the foreign fans, Venice is near and also Juliet&Romeo's Verona is not far, as well as the Garda Lake and the Adriatic Sea. You could play the pool phase in Treviso and the final in Venice, for example; they've already hosted, several times, similar U18 euro championships.
It's just an idea of mine, anyway, no one clue about that has prompted from the italian federation so far

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby