Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2017 Women's World Cup

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 08 Aug 2017, 21:53

victorsra wrote:Is it true World Rugby hasn't released the teams lists and the referees of round 1?

Instead they are talking about leadership. What a fucking shameful World Cup organization. No respect for the competition.

It was on rwcwomens.com last night.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 08 Aug 2017, 22:49

johnbirch wrote:It'll be interesting to see if they do a list for the game v Italy as there are some possible "missing" games there too!

John, you've got a list for Spain test matches against Italy and USA in FER's WRWC preview. I didn't link it here originally and prefered to post a screencap due to how much ashamed I feel by watching in it the Union Jack as England's flag... but they've corrected it today.

It's here: http://ferugby.es/panel/boletines/uploa ... 017HD4.pdf

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 08 Aug 2017, 23:52

I saw now. When I wrote here there was nothing. All preview info was released really close to the kickoff even for their partern.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 09:03

grande wrote:Canada's roster for Game 1 vs Hong Kong is here: http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... age=100871

They're not pulling any punches.

HKRU team for Match 1 versus Canada, at Women’s Rugby World Cup 2017:

1. WONG Yuen-shan, 2. SO Hoi-ting, Karen, 3. LEE Ka-shun, 4. CHAN Ka-yan, 5. CHOW Mei-nam (captain), 6. CHENG Ka-chi, Christy, 7. CHAN Tsz-ching, Agnes, 8. Amelie SEURE, 9. HO Wai-on, Jessica, 10. Rose HOPEWELL-FONG Siu-lan, 11. CHONG Ka-yan, 12. Natasha OLSON-THORNE, 13. Adrienne GARVEY (vice captain), 14. POON Pak-yan, Aggie, 15. Colleen TJOSVOLD,

16. SIU Wing-ni, Winnie, 17. LAU Nga-wun, Tammy, 18. PUN Wai-yan, 19. Christine GORDON, 20. TSANG Sin-yan, 21. MAK Ho-yee, Chloe, 22. Kelsie BOUTTLE, 23. CHOR Lik-fung, Laurel.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 13:50

Good live discussion of the games on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/com ... wednesday/

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 13:52

World rugby should never have allowed the same thing to happen to the women's game as they did the men's. English girls are clearly benefitting from a more professional environment whilst the Spanish girls are clearly still in an amateur one.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 14:11

And now World Rugby have geoblocked the games on their website. This organisation is a disgrace to the women's game.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 14:45

FT England 56-5 Spain

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby stuartdm » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 15:29

thatrugbyguy wrote:And now World Rugby have geoblocked the games on their website. This organisation is a disgrace to the women's game.

I couldn't get it on their website, but can on their Facebook page.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby stuartdm » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 15:32

USA try in the 1st minute - even faster than England managed.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 18:34

At the end, Usa-Italy 24-12. Not bad by our team

Five tries by Magali Harvey is a record in a World Cup edition?
Maybe it could be an all-genders record
The word to the statisticians!
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 18:50

Canada 98-00 Hong Kong - FT

I think everybody expected a score like this. Hong Kong is not in the level of a WC... but good to see them anyway and with a lot of Chinese players.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 20:57

thatrugbyguy wrote:World rugby should never have allowed the same thing to happen to the women's game as they did the men's. English girls are clearly benefitting from a more professional environment whilst the Spanish girls are clearly still in an amateur one.

What's the problem with professionalism? It just makes better Rugby.

Today was filled with so much great Rugby. The IRE-AUS match. As a USA fan what I thought would happen, happened. Except I didn't effectively scout Italy. Italy is a very good defensive team and highly technical in the usage of their skills. If they had to break away threats this thing would have been over, and the same if they had just mauled the entire match. The Eagles showed the same issues that they had against CAN, not sure how Faaee remains CPT, and not sure Steinberg's methodology for naming Emba VC. Faaee did show me some skills when it came her running, but in the scrum when we finally scrummed a lot she was getting tore up by Azzurre Loosey. The substitutions definitely provided the lift. Kelter especially. Our ball security was atrocious. I think we have overmatch on ESP, but they've played together a lot and have some youth, so it will be interesting to watch on Saturday.

England and Canada were impressive.

I'll have my preview out for USA V. ESP as soon as I get a roster.

The drubbings that Canada and France whipped out were insane.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 09 Aug 2017, 21:22

França 72-14 Japan - FT :shock:

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 00:23

Who the hell is coaching these Asian teams defensively? Did they learn nothing from how Japan and the Sunwolves evolved their defensive style to compensate for their lack in size? Bloody hell, these girls are cannon-fodder. They're grabbing high in the tackle when then don't have the size and strength to take down the bigger European girls, they need to be tackling low and fast in pods of 2 or 3 like what the mens teams showed. Is no-one learning anything over in Asia about how to compensate for the size difference their players have? The only way they can compete with the girls from Europe and North America is if they are taught an Asian style of defence.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 01:27

Very early to say but I feel that Hong Kong, Japan, Italy and Spain are going to the bottom semifinals.
The aim should be to overcome Wales, that will be probably the third of its pool and should finish with five points and a not bad points difference (they match Hong Kong in day three). I can't see Italy conquering points against England, so they need to defeat Spain with bonus point and a good gap: quite unlikely I think. Spain seems having some chances more, because before the match with Italy they can take a point against Usa (or even defeat them, in that case the eagles would risk the bottom semifinals).
It's just to talk, let's enjoy the next matches without too many calculations

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 02:01

God, I basically spent most of today watching rugby. Wonderful games all around. Next game I'll be watching live :)

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 03:42

Man I don't even want to know how you qualify for the WC when the 8 teams ahead of HK are left out, and the 3 teams ahead of JPN are left out. Some the SCO internationals that are amazing we don't get to see. :(

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 04:02

Why was Asia given two places anyway? And where are the Lady Boks and Lady Pumas?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 05:57

Hong Kong surprisingly and largely defeated Fiji in the qualifiers, so they deserved their spot
Argentina female XV team doesn't exist, South Africa renounced, Samoa renounced, Fiji was eliminated by the asians, Russia has been eliminated in the european qualifying, Scotland too, Tonga XV doesn't exist, Uruguay and Brazil XV don't exist...
Kenya and Uganda renounced too, but anyway they are still (perhaps) not at the level of Hong Kong

It's difficult to read complete WRWC statistics. I've seen that in 2002 a black fern, Vanessa Cootes, scored 5 tries in a match as Harvey did yesterday, but I don't know if someone has done even better
Italian rugby news blog: http://www.rugby.it/news/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 07:34

Canalina wrote:Hong Kong surprisingly and largely defeated Fiji in the qualifiers, so they deserved their spot
Argentina female XV team doesn't exist, South Africa renounced, Samoa renounced, Fiji was eliminated by the asians, Russia has been eliminated in the european qualifying, Scotland too, Tonga XV doesn't exist, Uruguay and Brazil XV don't exist...
Kenya and Uganda renounced too, but anyway they are still (perhaps) not at the level of Hong Kong

It's difficult to read complete WRWC statistics. I've seen that in 2002 a black fern, Vanessa Cootes, scored 5 tries in a match as Harvey did yesterday, but I don't know if someone has done even better

Yep. No womens XV in South America. To be fair, Colombia has a solid experience at club level and that is it. Argentina has tried something but the major problem there is most people think women should not play rugby. The day this mentailty changes no one will be able to beat them in South America.

I think the 2008 Brazilian womens team is the only experience in South America of a national team.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 08:03

Canalina wrote:Hong Kong surprisingly and largely defeated Fiji in the qualifiers, so they deserved their spot

Samoa declined to take part or was barred because they were deemed not to have strong enough XV leagues? And don't forget Kazakhstan was banned by Asia Rugby.

To me South Africa, Samoa, Kazakhstan and even Germany or Sweden could have been involved in some way if World Rugby had a bigger interest in women's rugby.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 08:06

victorsra wrote:Yep. No womens XV in South America. To be fair, Colombia has a solid experience at club level and that is it. Argentina has tried something but the major problem there is most people think women should not play rugby. The day this mentailty changes no one will be able to beat them in South America.

I think the 2008 Brazilian womens team is the only experience in South America of a national team.

Of all the places you'd think there would be an interest for women's rugby in Argentina.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 08:37

In Argentina clubs are reluctant to let women play. We're talking about the same clubs that want to keep amateur status forever.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 10 Aug 2017, 08:39

thatrugbyguy wrote:
victorsra wrote:Yep. No womens XV in South America. To be fair, Colombia has a solid experience at club level and that is it. Argentina has tried something but the major problem there is most people think women should not play rugby. The day this mentailty changes no one will be able to beat them in South America.

Of all the places you'd think there would be an interest for women's rugby in Argentina.

They had a XV league up until several years ago and it foundered due to lack of support from the UAR, some of the funds have been diverted for 7's Rugby. South American have never taken women's Rugby seriously or the respect it deserves. Colombia is indeed trying but only time will tell if PICHOT can force the continent to do something meaningful about it.

Despite all their Plaudits and media releases South America Rugby has long way to go before they convince me they are doing something about it. I add Mexico in this as well even though they are in the other conference as they are following the same policy.

In terms of Kazakhstan I thought they were reinstated and rebuilding their program?

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby