2017 Women's World Cup

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 15 Oct 2016, 15:23

In the ranking matches the scores were

SWI 24-12 CZE
RUS 74 - 5 BEL

It looks like Russia could be a real force at this level if they took their 15s as seriously as their 7s.

Currently Spain leading NL 5-0 in the final, midway the first half. Spain just successfully defended their tryline after a period of sustained pressure (5m scrum and penalty about 5m in front of the posts which the Dutch ran).

Edit:

HT: 5-0 to Spain. Spain are looking superior in most areas. Their scrum is pushing the Dutch scrum backwards at jogging pace. They've won a couple against the head, and when the Dutch have won their scrum it's been scrappy and rushed. It's hard to see where a Dutch score could come from. Taking the ball into contact isn't winning them much territory, but on the other hand if they spin the ball wide there have been some loose passes and knock-ons. It might need a moment of individual genius. There are a couple of players capable of that, but you can't rely on it.

Edit:

Midway the second half and the floodgates are opening. NL are conceding penalties under pressure. Score is now 23-0. Two more tries, two pens and a conversion.

Finally some more life from the Dutch, and after a few phases from a penalty run from their own half a try under the posts. But it's 31-7 and only pride is at stake now. 5 minutes to go.

And just before full time penalty to Spain in front of the posts and they opt for a scrum. Ominous. And yes, another try.
Caption on the screen says half time 35-7. So do they hve to play yet another half? And was that a four point try? My guess is that an extra 3 points was wrongly added earlier in the half when I wasn't watching. So they corrected that. So when I said before "two pens" I was only inferring from the scoreline.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 15 Oct 2016, 20:51

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Netherlands squad
8 Joyce van Altena (RC Hilversum)
24 Annemarije van Rossum (RC Hilversum)
10 Lorraine Laros (RC Delft)
11 Marit Bakker (RC Delft)

I wonder what happened to the number 9 shirt. Maybe it got dirty during training. But from the video it was definitely Van Rossum playing at scrum-half wearing 24.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Mon, 24 Oct 2016, 17:55

The game between Scotland and Spain, could be in Glasgow. Any news to confirm this?

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 25 Oct 2016, 09:05

According to the Scottish Rugby

The playoff will be a home and away play-off in November with fixture details to be announced.

http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/16/10 ... h-showdown

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Wed, 26 Oct 2016, 22:34

Scotstoun Stadium in glasgow.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 18:19

I have nothing against the Scottish women, but I really hope Spain qualifies for this World Cup.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Thu, 27 Oct 2016, 18:28

diegodolan wrote:Scotstoun Stadium in glasgow.

Is that a guess, or have you seen that somewhere?

Would quite like to see it, but all I have seen is that 3 women's players joined 3 male counterparts on a tour of ayrshire this week to promote the Georgia game at Rugby Park; which of course makes me wonder if they are thinking of a double header…

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Fri, 28 Oct 2016, 21:23

They told me in the Spanish Federation that.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 29 Oct 2016, 19:55

Just been researching a preview for next weekend's Fiji v Papua New Guinea World Cup playoff. http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/suva-game-make-test-history

Having done so its a bit scarey. The winner - probably Fiji, but who knows - risk being not so much "green" (in the inexperienced sense of the word) but flouescent, flashing lit green with green spotlights. Players who are - according to their stand-in coach - so little experienced or knowledgable at 15s that (barely a couple of weeks before the game) they do not know what to do at a breakdown, will travel to Hong Kong and be just one win away from playing the likes of England or New Zealand.

However talented they are likely to be it's **** terrifying (especially as they will have a preparation budget of as near zero as makes no odds). At least Samoa were made up of players who'd played 15s in New Zealand, so knew roughly what to do (though even their experience was exposed in the dump tackle in their opening game with England in 2014). If Fiji or PNG did upset Hong Kong or Japan (unlikely TBH) how safe would they be in Ireland?

World and Oceania Rugby's refusal to allow Uganda, Kenya or Samoa to take part in the qualifiers seems increasingly barmy.

And how come Samoa were refused entry on the grounds of a lack of domestic 15s, but Fiji and PNG were allowed in?

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 01 Nov 2016, 01:55

johnbirch wrote:Just been researching a preview for next weekend's Fiji v Papua New Guinea World Cup playoff. http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/suva-game-make-test-history

Having done so its a bit scarey. The winner - probably Fiji, but who knows - risk being not so much "green" (in the inexperienced sense of the word) but flouescent, flashing lit green with green spotlights. Players who are - according to their stand-in coach - so little experienced or knowledgable at 15s that (barely a couple of weeks before the game) they do not know what to do at a breakdown, will travel to Hong Kong and be just one win away from playing the likes of England or New Zealand.

However talented they are likely to be it's **** terrifying (especially as they will have a preparation budget of as near zero as makes no odds). At least Samoa were made up of players who'd played 15s in New Zealand, so knew roughly what to do (though even their experience was exposed in the dump tackle in their opening game with England in 2014). If Fiji or PNG did upset Hong Kong or Japan (unlikely TBH) how safe would they be in Ireland?

World and Oceania Rugby's refusal to allow Uganda, Kenya or Samoa to take part in the qualifiers seems increasingly barmy.

And how come Samoa were refused entry on the grounds of a lack of domestic 15s, but Fiji and PNG were allowed in?

It makes no sense and at all. And now both the Ugandan and Kenyan unions have scrapped women's international rugby. There was no Elgon cup this year and it won't be there for the next couple of years.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 01 Nov 2016, 18:46

ugrugbychiclet wrote:And now both the Ugandan and Kenyan unions have scrapped women's international rugby. There was no Elgon cup this year and it won't be there for the next couple of years.

Any official statement we can point to?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 04 Nov 2016, 15:36

Fiji v Papua Guinea, tonight, should be live on Fiji One, and apparently that channel has a live streaming available with a free trial registration http://fijione.tv/livestream/

But it will be at 4 AM here in Italy, so I'm not going to see it; also because I fear that it will be a one-way match

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 04 Nov 2016, 16:18

Preview at World Rugby: http://www.worldrugby.org/news/201157

and http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/suva-ga ... st-history

A NEW chapter will be engraved this weekend when the touring Papua New Guinea women’s 15s team, the Palais, take on the Fijiana 15s team in their rugby union Test match at the ANZ Stadium, Suva, Fiji.
PNG head coach John Larry says the first Test is expected to be a thriller.
Larry, who arrived in the country with his PNG contingent yesterday, said the team would be out to make their mark against the Fijians.
He said they were looking forward to the game and expected a tough and physical challenge against the hosts.
“We are expecting a good and tough game,” Larry said.
“We also expect fireworks as these two teams will try their best to do well in the game.
“We are looking forward to a big game and I know the Fijians are big and strong but we know how to compete against them.”
Larry said the side had been bolstered with the inclusion of six Australian-based players.
“We also have a few 7s players in the team that have been playing rugby for a long time.
“We also have six overseas-based and a few new players who have combined well during the past months at training with the aim to do well this weekend.
“The women have been reminded to give their best and it’s the love for rugby that should prevail.”

http://www.thenational.com.pg/palais-face-fiji/

PNG Palais coach is former PNG rugby rep John Larry.

"We have been with some of these girls for nine years and we communicate well on the field. We do not have the upper hand, but we do not come all the way here to lose. We will make the Fijians run," he said.

Queensland sisters Marlugu and Harkana Dixon are among the six Australian-based players.

The others are Melanie Kawa the vice-captain, Janina Stein (wing), Tracy Stanis (prop) and Victoria Kamen (halfback).

Their tallest player is lock Fakima Rama who is about six foot.
Full item at http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=377185

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 05 Nov 2016, 08:46

Great win by Fijiana XVs 37-10 over PNG Women. Fiji's fitness and structure won the day overall.

From twitter

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 05 Nov 2016, 09:38

According to the banner ahead of the triumphing Fiji team, this match was also the final (and only) game of the inaugural Oceania Championship. So Fiji conquered the continental title

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 05 Nov 2016, 11:21

Canalina wrote:According to the banner ahead of the triumphing Fiji team, this match was also the final (and only) game of the inaugural Oceania Championship. So Fiji conquered the continental title

Oceania Rugby presented a trophy with little shields on it for future winning teams, which is promising. Samoa, Tonga and Cook at least have enough players to take part in the future but its hard to see where the funding would come from to allow this to happen, especially as any tournament involving more than one team would have to take place over at least a week.

National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Postby RugbySwizzie » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 19:09

johnbirch wrote:
Canalina wrote:According to the banner ahead of the triumphing Fiji team, this match was also the final (and only) game of the inaugural Oceania Championship. So Fiji conquered the continental title

Oceania Rugby presented a trophy with little shields on it for future winning teams, which is promising. Samoa, Tonga and Cook at least have enough players to take part in the future but its hard to see where the funding would come from to allow this to happen, especially as any tournament involving more than one team would have to take place over at least a week.

You are right, the funding is the main problem. But it would be wonderful to see these pacific teams playing against each other. Look at the incredible results the Cook islands hat at the world repechage qualifier for the olympics in rio.. I think they could have a great team playing 15s aswell! And do you know why Fiji is so "bad" at 15s, as one of the upper comments told? I think they are very good at Sevens?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 07 Nov 2016, 21:31

RugbySwizzie wrote:And do you know why Fiji is so "bad" at 15s, as one of the upper comments told? I think they are very good at Sevens?

Evidence from the weekend suggests that Fiji have huge potential (and PNG too) - but if they played any team in the top 10 (and most of the next 10) they'd probably be taken to pieces at the moment.

The commentator actually suggested that this would be an annual competition from now on - which would be great!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 09 Nov 2016, 12:18

Interesting pools, but it was impossible to have no-interesting pools with the best 12 nations of the world. I would have liked to see Italy against the Black Ferns and one team coming from the asian/oceanic qualifying pool, but it's ok

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 09 Nov 2016, 12:52

I personally have been at loggerheads with Latin American officials for a long time, the 8th RWC is about to happen and still no Spanish speaking representation. The fact that there is no mention not even on their websites is nothing short of disgraceful.

No plan and no strategy for XV Development they know they are loosing crowds as I have personally seen it but they need to find ways to bring more athletes. It really gets on my goat when I see this draw and nothing from the Continent.

The other telling place is Africa but that is a different topic.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 09 Nov 2016, 16:04

How the fuck do the two highest ranked countries end up in the same group?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sckual » Thu, 10 Nov 2016, 13:33

Hello,

I hope for the next WRWC, true qualifying process for Spain (for exemple)... The return of Kazakhstan, South Africa, a first team to South America.... And a 16 team competition.....

I'm waiting for a qualifying for Spain.... Fidji (Pool C) and Japan (Pool A)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 16 Nov 2016, 09:25

Spanish squad for the play-off:

I've found hugely ironic to read, especially from a T1 nation, the following quote read in Scrumqueens:
“Spain have more players, they have more clubs, and apparently they have the same funding as the men,” said Munro. “I went to a competition in Madrid and a huge crowd turned up, so it’s well supported as well. The game seems to have grown in other countries more than it has done in Scotland, but we’re definitely improving.”

A simple look to FER website makes you learn there is at least a half million euros gap between the funding received by men and women national teams. And that's not even taking into account how much money does FER spend on national competitions.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Natal » Fri, 18 Nov 2016, 20:00

The stream of Scotland v Spain (http://www.rtve.es/directo/teledeporte/) seems to be geoblocked for me, but there are Twitter updates from FER with screenshots from the coverage (https://mobile.twitter.com/ferugby?lang=en).

Spain leading 3-0 after 20.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby CraigChalmers » Fri, 18 Nov 2016, 20:22

Scotland 5-10 Spain at HT.

Looks like a decent crowd, but that's about the only positive we can take from that. How you can spend 30+ minutes in your opponents 22 and go in behind I don't know…

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby