ScotlandScotland

Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Postby mcruic » Fri, 27 Apr 2018, 16:19

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:West Asia Women’s 7s

Semi - Final 1: Lebanon Red 30 - 0 Lebanon Green

Semi - Final 2: Qatar 29 - 5 Syria

Plate Final: Syria 17 - 12 Lebanon Green

Cup Final: Qatar 10 - 7 Lebanon Red

Odd Semi-Final setup - 2nd v 4th and 1st v 3rd (Syria ahead of Lebanon Green in group stage on points difference). Not sure why this was done, or if Syria and Lebanon Green were separated otherwise, but it guaranteed a Lebanon team made the final.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 03:45

Euro U18 today and tomorrow in Vichy, France. The winner team takes the continental crown and goes to the Buenos Aires' Youth Olympic Games. Times local/CET

All live on http://www.rugbyeurope.tv

Today
Gran Bretagna – Georgia 52-0
Russia – Svezia 24-12
Portogallo – Polonia 33-0
Spagna – Belgio 14-0
Irlanda – Lettonia 50-0
Olanda – Andorra 68-0
12.12 Francia – Ucraina
12.34 ITALIA – Germania
13.18 Svezia – Georgia
13.40 Gran Bretagna – Russia
14.02 Spagna – Polonia
14.24 Portogallo – Belgio
14.46 Olanda – Lettonia
15.08 Irlanda – Andorra
15.30 ITALIA – Ucraina
15.52 Francia – Germania
16.36 Russia – Georgia
16.58 Gran Bretagna – Svezia
17.20 Belgio – Polonia
17.42 Portogallo – Spagna
18.04 Lettonia – Andorra
18.26 Irlanda – Olanda
18.48 Germania - Ucraina
19.10 Francia - ITALIA

Sunday
From 10.00: quarters, semis, finals

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 10:18

Very tough - just one team to qualify. I guess it will between France and GB. Some huge mismatches in the pool stages. Netherlands put 68 points on Andorra, GB 55-0 Georgia, Ireland 50-0 Latvia just in the opening round of matches, and FRA-Ukrraine could also be a monster score.

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 28 Apr 2018, 10:31

"Team GB" is actually an England U18, presumably with a view to the Youth Olympics qualification in the same way as the senior Olympics was.

1. Shauna Bennett (Gloucester- Hartpury Womens RFC), 2. Lucy Burgess (Winscombe), 3. Jessica Cooksey (Winscombe), 4. Tabitha Copson (Gloucester-Hartpury Womens RFC), 5. Megan Davey (Loughborough Lightning), 6. Lauren Fisher (Pulborough), 7. Emma Hardy (Loughborough Lightning), 8. Amelia Harper (Lougborough Lightning), 9. Jodie Mallard (Wellingborough), 10. Georgia Newman (Cobham), 11. Sophie Peters (Winscombe), 12. Beth Wilcock (Brockenhurst College).

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 07:22

The all time gap seems
14/06/15 United States 88-0 Mexico Cary NACRA Sevens Final
but maybe it was a 10' per half match. In this case the 7' per half record would be
09/02/14 Colombia 82-0 Nicaragua Cartago Rainforest Sevens

In Vichy, Euro U18, the quarterfinals (starting at 11 CET) are
Great Britain v Netherlands
Spain v Italy
Ireland v Russia
France v Portugal

GB and France appear clear favorites, Ireland has some more chances than Russia while the match between Spain and Italy should be the more balanced one

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 09:43

Italy wins it 15-20, congratulations ;)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 13:53

GB v Italy 15-0 in semifinal, and France is leading Ireland with the same score

No GB nor France have concede a try so far

The cameraman must be 6-years-old (camerakid..): he often loses the action, quite frustrating...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 18:16

Final ranking (in italian language): 1 Francia, 2 Gran Bretagna, 3 Irlanda, 4 Italia, 5 Russia, 6 Olanda, 7 Spagna, 8 Portogallo, 9 Germania, 10 Belgio, 11 Lettonia, 12 Svezia, 13 Polonia, 14 Andorra, 15 Georgia, 16 Ucraina

Impressing France, they didn't concede a try in six matches. Today they defeated 22-0 Great Britain, that itself didn't concede a point before the final.

The conversions are a weak part in the game of these girls. In today's Italy's three matches fourteen tries have been scored and zero of them have been converted, also due to the rain and the mud. Apparently the kick is a gesture not natural for the women; most of the rugby women appear a bit goofy on kicking. Also for this I'd eliminate conversions; not only in 7s and not only on women's matches. But, I know, I've already said this

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 29 Apr 2018, 21:12

I'm starting to agree with you about the conversions. Why should an easy try under the posts be worth 7 whilst a breathtaking try right on the sideline be worth 5? I suppose because the roots of the game back in the 1800s valued "goals", and getting the ball over the goal line was enough to give you a "try" at kicking a goal. We've come a long way since then.
The weather conditions did look atrocious all weekend and I'm sure taking a drop kick in mud isnt easy, but I did see a couple from in front of the posts which bounced a couple of times before reaching the line. Even in the senior women's game there are very few kickers who can score from near the touchline I think. I'm not sure that I agree with you about kicking not being "natural" for women. May have more to do with the fact that most boys in most countries have played endless football (soccer) throughout their childhood, whereas much fewer girls do. If you see top women soccer players their kicking looks pretty natural. If there is some scientific anatomical study that agrees with you then I will concede, but it's not that long since women didn't play rugby at all, run marathons, do boxing, pole vaulting etc. and the male wisdom has been proven wrong every time.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 07:04

Maybe you are right, in WRWC we've seen players elegantly kicking between the posts from the sideline. But these U18 girls learned to pass (also the pass is not a simple gesture for one which has not played rugby since little kid) while they still seem uneasy with the drop kick and sometime also with the regular kick during the play. For this reason I suspect (but I'm not sure) that kicking is less natural for the girls than for the boys.
Anyway I wouldn't like to eliminate conversions for this motivation but simply because I can't catch the meaning of a conversion. As you said, at the beginning of rugby they were the aim of the game but then rugby evolved conspicuously. They are no more the aim, because it would be illogical to award the try (5 pts) more than the aim (2 pts). They seem to me just a tinsel of the past and I feel them useless or at least overrated. I think World Rugby should have the courage to cut with that past and say farewell to the conversions. Or maybe they could deflate conversions to 1 point and increase tries to 6 points. But perhaps most of the people like conversions, I don't know.

- - -

PS: it was a super-weekend for italian women rugby, with the fourth place of the U18 team, the Euro final whistled by Clara Munarini and the Premiership title won by Valeria Fedrighi, but then it came the news about a young Parma's girl seriously hit at the head during a 7s regional match. She's been operated and she's in hospital with reserved prognosis :|

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 30 Apr 2018, 12:56

Draw for the Rugby Africa Sevens in Botswana has appeared... and holders South Africa are not taking part.

You have to ask why - the tournament is just over the border so it cannot be the cost. Are they scared to lose (being as, on form, they probably would have)? Hard to see what other reason there might be.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 01 May 2018, 23:21

Canalina wrote:I don't know if there was a quicker way (I'm not an excel expert) but I extracted piece by piece the Italy's head-to-head records
Numbers indicate matches played and wins-losses. Italy never played with USA, Canada, Australia, Fiji...

Re: the sevens results spreadsheet. I've now added an extra tab that will work out head-to-heads in https://1drv.ms/x/s!Aj-VCZQXZXblkIsZDRHkQnQMejZXxw. You will need to download a copy, but then you should be able to change the team in A1 in the Head to Head tab. .

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 02 May 2018, 07:02

Thank you John

It seems the italian girl recovered in a hospital after a game accident is gone. There are no official news at the moment but on the socials messages "R.i.P. Rebecca" started to appear this morning. She felt backside after a tackle, hitting the nape on the ground and she lost consciousness almost immediately

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:35

Canalina wrote:It seems the italian girl recovered in a hospital after a game accident is gone. There are no official news at the moment but on the socials messages "R.i.P. Rebecca" started to appear this morning. She felt backside after a tackle, hitting the nape on the ground and she lost consciousness almost immediately

https://www.reggiosera.it/2018/05/rugby ... ta/241759/
A very sad news.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Wed, 02 May 2018, 13:56

Good job John, Mark (RoonBa) and grande for the compilations. :thumbup:

For memory, in Serge's rankings, 7.876 games are currently counted, including those in minor tournaments (like Brisbane, Okinawa and Kourou just for 2018, and Bonn more for RB) and, marginally, those against a "A" or "U..." team.
http://les-archives-de-serge.over-blog. ... women.html

About 2 years were necesserary in 2012 to compile the data and validate the method, so no time enough to try to compare the both sources... :oops:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 02 May 2018, 18:05

sjbret wrote:Good job John, Mark (RoonBa) and grande for the compilations. :thumbup:

For memory, in Serge's rankings, 7.876 games are currently counted, including those in minor tournaments (like Brisbane, Okinawa and Kourou just for 2018, and Bonn more for RB) and, marginally, those against a "A" or "U..." team.
http://les-archives-de-serge.over-blog. ... women.html

About 2 years were necesserary in 2012 to compile the data and validate the method, so no time enough to try to compare the both sources... :oops:

The different totals probably reflect the slightly different reasons for creating each record. In the case of my spreadsheet it was to quickly and easily come up with historic data for internationals, to use in articles, commentary, etc. So I am only interested in full internationals, not games involving A or U teams.

Serge OTOH is producing a ranking so any evidence, including A and U games, is relevant

And Mark is producing tournament records, so includes A and U games if they are in those tournaments

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Thu, 03 May 2018, 07:04

johnbirch wrote:Serge OTOH is producing a ranking so any evidence, including A and U games, is relevant

All the games are not counted in the same way in the ranking.
Broadly speaking and to give a rough estimate (but the used algorithm is far from being so simple), we would have approximately :

For 100 for a win against an other country in World Series or World Cup,
- 75 for a win against an other country in international tournaments (recognized by WR as Commonwealth games...) or continental championships,
- 50 for a win against an other country in minor tournaments,
- 10 for a win against a A team in international tournaments or continental championships,
- 5 for a win against a A team in minor tournaments,
- 3 for a win of a A team against an other A team,
- 2 for a win of a U team against an other U team.

So, the integration of A and U results is real (and relevant) but thus very marginal.

And also, it especially depends on the level of both teams.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:35

Brazil with 4 debuts for the Canada Sevens: Eshyllen Coimbra (18 yo), Rafaela Zanelato (19 yo), Júlia Rodrigues (20 yo) and Isadora Lopes (21 yo).

Raquel Kochhann (Leoas de Paraisópolis)
Mariana Nicolau (São José)
Haline Scatrut (Curitiba)
Isadora "Izzy" Cerullo (Niterói)
Amanda Araujo (Niterói)
Bianca Silva (Leoas de Paraisópolis)
Rafaela Zanelatto (Curitiba)
Milena "Mille" Mariano (São José)
Leila Silva (Leoas de Paraisópolis)
Isadora Lopes (Melina)
Eshyllen Coimbra (Guanabara)
Júlia Rodrigues (Niterói)
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 09 May 2018, 01:22

It looks like Bolivia played a tournament in Argentina in preparation to host the South American Games - Cochabamba 2018 (that will have seven-a-side).

Photo of the Bolivian team (I don't know the results and I would like to know if there is already an official nickname for the team)

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby IanCleverly » Sat, 12 May 2018, 12:47

Prior to the Western Force v Tonga match in the World Series competition thing, Hong Kong's Women side will play W. Force on the same day (from facebook.com/WesternForce)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 13 May 2018, 22:37

Brazil managed to beat Russia 24-19 in the extra-time (after being down 19-00) for the 11th place of the Canada 7s. Not bad for such a young squad.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 14 May 2018, 05:34

Sri Lanka is touring Indonesia to prepare the Asian Games but not with a proper national team. Women travelled with three squads and played a quadrangular with Indonesia national team

http://www.srilankarugby.lk/Articles/View/39

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Mon, 14 May 2018, 06:35

victorsra wrote:It looks like Bolivia played a tournament in Argentina in preparation to host the South American Games - Cochabamba 2018 (that will have seven-a-side).
It wasn't in Argentina but in Chile (in Arica) on April, 8th, and maybe only a game, but there isn't any result.

The team for Cochabamba (and doubtless in Arica) is :

Argandoña Cabrera Shirley
Ascarrunz Medinaceli Tania Lucia
Ayaviri Condori Nilda Eliana
Butron Arias Teresa Daniela
Chavez Viscarra Barbara
Lopez Duran Maria Jose
Mendieta Cardozo Selene
Mendieta Roca Eyko
Montellano Ibarra Romina
Morales Rojas Raisa Izzy
Peña Rojas Paola Alejandra
Piai Berti Mariana

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 15 May 2018, 06:43

Two games between El Salvador and Guatemala (preselecciòn) in Collegio Emiliani de San Salvador
El Salvador v Guatemala 0-31
El Salvador v Guatemala 0-38

There's no date but the games should be recent, maybe played in this last weekend

see there from 4.00 circa https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDGkbSP4R4

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 20 May 2018, 05:36

Stanislas 7s in France, yesterday and today, with some women national teams: Germany, Poland, Georgia, Israel and Sweden (parted in "Blue" and "Yellow")
https://scontent-mxp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B91A0B0

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby