Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens 7's rugby - general news

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 20 May 2017, 10:34

A few national teams involved in the Stanislas 7s in Nancy this weekend.

Pool A
Ile de France
Hungary
Georgia
Tunisia

Pool B
Sweden
Tuks Ladies
France Militaire
Nancy Seichamps

Pool C
Jesters Women
Norway
Denmark

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 26 May 2017, 17:23

A few national teams in the Amsterdam 7s this weekend, although it is not always possible to tell if it is the national team or a development team:

China Shandong Women
Czech Republic
Malta Barbarians
Norwegian Vikingettes
Poland
Raivottaret (Finland Rugby)
Sweden
Switzerland
Wales

https://a7.amsterdamsevens.com/teams/

The Netherlands team is the non-core team invited to the World Series leg in Canada this weekend, but there are no less than three development teams playing in Amsterdam:

Tulips (younger U18 players / newer players)
Dukkies (U18)
Windmills - there are a few familiar faces here. Inge Visser, Elke van Meer, Marsha Völker, Linda Franssen (I thought she'd retired). And a Scotland-based player going by the name of Lauren Haggis - is this a real name?

http://www.rugby.nl/blog/teamselecties- ... dam-sevens

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Fri, 26 May 2017, 18:24

NedRugby wrote:And a Scotland-based player going by the name of Lauren Haggis - is this a real name?

Yes Haggis is a real surname and no it has nothing to do with the foodstuff!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Fri, 26 May 2017, 20:31

Canada's roster

Britt Benn – Guelph Redcoats (Napanee, ON)
Caroline Crossley – Castaway Wanderers (Victoria, BC)
Hannah Darling – Peterborough Pagans (Warsaw, ON)
Bianca Farella – Town of Mont Royal (Montreal, QC)
Julia Greenshields – Sarnia Saints (Sarnia, ON)
Jen Kish – Edmonton Rockers (Edmonton, AB)
Ghislaine Landry (captain) – Toronto Scottish (Toronto, ON)
Megan Lukan – Unattached (Barrie, ON)
Breanne Nicholas – London St. Georges (Blenheim, ON)
Ashley Steacy – Lethbridge Rugby Club (Lethbridge, AB)
Natasha Watcham-Roy – Hull Volant (Gatineau, QC)
Charity Williams – Markham Irish (Toronto, ON)

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 27 May 2017, 18:22

I'd be impressed if that line-up was here in Amsterdam. I think you want the other thread, the World Series thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1072&start=75

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sun, 11 Jun 2017, 10:39

Rugby Europe Trophy in Ostrava:

Ukraine and Finland dropped down from top division last year. Malta and Latvia up from the Conference.

Semis are:
Scotland v Ukraine, Romania v Germany

5th-8th
Czech Republic v Finland, Hungary v Switzerland

9th Place
Moldova v Latvia

11th Place
Israel v Malta

EDIT: Scotland beat Germany 46-0 in the final.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 13 Jun 2017, 08:17

According to FFR, the Euro 7s U18 will be in Vichy in 16-17 september

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 08:10

May you remember me how the Euro 7s will work? Same targets of the men's competition? Id est: is it qualifying too for the World Cup and the world circuit?

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 18:47

Canalina wrote:May you remember me how the Euro 7s will work? Same targets of the men's competition? Id est: is it qualifying too for the World Cup and the world circuit?

More or less, yes. Top two teams not already qualified will go to 7s World Cup. Spain, Russia and France (or England) have qualified. So England (or France) and Ireland would be favourites to fill these places.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 16 Jun 2017, 20:31

Thanks John

Tomorrow http://www.therugbychannel.it will show live the final matches of the Roma 7s, starting at 19.00 (CET) with women's semifinals.
Just five teams competing, it seems
Men: Paraguay 7, Catalunya 7, Switzers Geneve 7, Midi-Olimpique Froggies Raf Spitfires, Artech BMSI 7, Olymp Kazakistan, Clandestions, Germany 7, 7 Sins, Seven Kings of Rome, Club Italia Seven, Italia 7s, China 7 Shandong, Namau Pacific Islands
Ladies: Catalunya (Spa), Tuks (Saf), PhoenixX (Jap), Italy, Shandong (Chn)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 08:30

Roma 7s final ranking: 1 Shandong, 2 Tuks, 3 Italy A, 4 Catalunya, 5 Tokyo Phoenix

Italy defeated Catalunya 29-0 in the third place final, showing two or three good players
Shandong defeated Tuks 24-14 or 26-14, showing some good athletes and a rugby of quite high level; I don't know it they really all come from Shandong, if it was instead a sort of national team or if -simply- the national team is mostly composed by Shandong girls

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 13:04

Canalina wrote:Roma 7s final ranking: 1 Shandong, 2 Tuks, 3 Italy A, 4 Catalunya, 5 Tokyo Phoenix

Italy defeated Catalunya 29-0 in the third place final, showing two or three good players
Shandong defeated Tuks 24-14 or 26-14, showing some good athletes and a rugby of quite high level; I don't know it they really all come from Shandong, if it was instead a sort of national team or if -simply- the national team is mostly composed by Shandong girls

I don't understand how Roma 7s attracts so few women's teams yet Rome is easily accessible for European teams. Is it poor organisation?

National Flag:
South AfricaSouth Africa

Postby Tuksrugby » Sun, 18 Jun 2017, 20:38

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
Canalina wrote:Roma 7s final ranking: 1 Shandong, 2 Tuks, 3 Italy A, 4 Catalunya, 5 Tokyo Phoenix

I don't understand how Roma 7s attracts so few women's teams yet Rome is easily accessible for European teams. Is it poor organisation?

VERY Poor planning as it coincides with the same weekend the European Grand Prix series is played. That means that most of the Grand Prix teams are not available and the "Trophy" teams are probably taking a break before their next round of matches.

But then, they also don't seem to be that great with math in Italy. The actual score in the final was 19 - 14 to China Shandong, while the referee score card was 17 - 14. The score on the video feed (streaming) was incorrect apparently... Got the info from the captain of Tuks.

The Italy team was a B team. The China Shandong team I believe is like the highlighted part suggests. Most of the Chinese national team is from Shandong province. An amazing team that won the Amsterdam sevens, scoring 347 points and conceding only 29.

Obviously, with my username and with being a part of the Tuks team, I am quite proud of our accomplishments this year. Being only a club team with a total of about 30 players, we are making a few waves. A direct result of a sponsorship (minimal, but very useful) that helps us to focus more on the game and development. It is in fact proof that if more sponsors get involved, the quality of play will improve worldwide.

I am only mentioning this specifically for you (ugrugbychiclet), because of you can help to convince sponsors to invest in Uganda rugby, they can return to be the force they once were.... Thinking of the 2009 WC, where they performed quite well!

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 19 Jun 2017, 15:25

Yes, I got to see Shandong in Amsterdam and was very impressed. Unfortunately I couldn't go on the finals day, but it was already obvious to me that they and Wales were the best in the competition. Sweden and Poland also, but to a lesser extent.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 21 Jun 2017, 18:45

Tuksrugby wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:

VERY

Obviously, with my username and with being a part of the Tuks team, I am quite proud of our accomplishments this year. Being only a club team with a total of about 30 players, we are making a few waves. A direct result of a sponsorship (minimal, but very useful) that helps us to focus more on the game and development. It is in fact proof that if more sponsors get involved, the quality of play will improve worldwide.

I am only mentioning this specifically for you (ugrugbychiclet), because of you can help to convince sponsors to invest in Uganda rugby, they can return to be the force they once were.... Thinking of the 2009 WC, where they performed quite well!

Securing sponsorship for minority sports and women's teams is a herculean task in Uganda :(

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 04 Jul 2017, 10:42

Very unexperienced italian squad for the second leg of the European Series in Kazan. No Barattin, no Furlan, no Sillari, no Stefan, no Cioffi... no one girl from the WRWC team, probably. It will be tough, but it's the right decision; Italy need to test more players. I expect them to finish in the bottom positions of the tournament. Carlotta Guerreschi seems interesting, she comes from track&field and has a good speed, I've seen her in Roma 7s; unfortunately she is already 25 years old.
Giulia and Micol Cavina are twins

Elisa BONALDO (RUGBY COLORNO)
Giulia CAVINA (CFFS R.COGOLETO&PROV.OVEST)
Micol CAVINA (CFFS R.COGOLETO&PROV.OVEST)
Federica CIPOLLA (UMBRIA RUGBY RAGAZZE)
Bianca Maria COLTELLINI (R.F.U. Inghilterra)
Arianna CORBUCCI (Frascati Rugby Club)
Carlotta GUERRESCHI (Rugby Novi)
Veronica MADIA (Rugby Colorno)
Aura MUZZO (PORDENONE RUGBY)
Miriam PAGANI (RUGBY COMO)
Claudia SALVADEGO (Federazione Italiana Rugby)
Cecilia ZUBLENA (Federazione Italiana Rugby)

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 07:44

You are right, Italy are really struggling. NL beat them 31-0 in the pool stages after losing 7 matches in a row. Unfortunately I think Netherlands are already certain to be relegated, even if they win the bowl today.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 11:30

Italy improved in day two, resisted on 0-0 against Netherlands until two minutes to the end but finished to lose 0-17 :|

I've seen that there are two twins not only in the italian squad but also in the belgian one, so I tried a little research based on this tournament's lines-up

Italy. Two twins: Micol and Giulia Cavina.
Belgium. Two twins: Margaux and Héloïse Stevins (Heloise suffered a bad arm's injury in Kazan)
Spain. There are three Garcia but I don't know if they are related.
Ireland. Kim and Stacey Flood; they should be "just" sisters, Kim seems older than Stacey.
Portugal. There are two Marques but they come from different clubs and have quite different measures (kg, cm), so I bet they are not related.
England. Alice and Joanne Richardson-Watmore. Searching on google I haven't found news about their links, even if they are two famous players. If I'm correct, they were once known as Alice Richardson and Joanne Watmore; now they are both Richardson-Watmore. Are they a married couple?

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 12:02

Canalina wrote:Italy improved in day two, resisted on 0-0 against Netherlands until two minutes to the end but finished to lose 0-17 :|

I've seen that there are two twins not only in the italian squad but also in the belgian one, so I tried a little research based on this tournament's lines-up

Italy. Two twins: Micol and Giulia Cavina.
Belgium. Two twins: Margaux and Héloïse Stevins (Heloise suffered a bad arm's injury in Kazan)
Spain. There are three Garcia but I don't know if they are related.
Ireland. Kim and Stacey Flood; they should be "just" sisters, Kim seems older than Stacey.
Portugal. There are two Marques but they come from different clubs and have quite different measures (kg, cm), so I bet they are not related.
England. Alice and Joanne Richardson-Watmore. Searching on google I haven't found news about their links, even if they are two famous players. If I'm correct, they were once known as Alice Richardson and Joanne Watmore; now they are both Richardson-Watmore. Are they a married couple?

Yes, Alice and Joanne are married.

I don't think that the Garcias are related but maybe someone from Spain on this forum can confirm this.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 09 Jul 2017, 22:29

As far as I know, they aren't. García is very common family name here.

In El Salvador forum they recently mentioned another Spanish couple of bros in both men's and women's national teams: Macarena and José Luis del Valle.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 04:26

"It's official the girls got their tickets for the 'Women Sevens Series Qualifier' in Hong-Kong"
https://www.facebook.com/TeamBelgiumRugbySevens/

How did this work? The best two teams apart Rus/Ire/Fra/Eng/Spa, id est Wales and Belgium, will go to Hong Kong?
I didn't know there was also this aim at the stake, pity for Italy

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 12:19

Canalina wrote:"It's official the girls got their tickets for the 'Women Sevens Series Qualifier' in Hong-Kong"
https://www.facebook.com/TeamBelgiumRugbySevens/

How did this work? The best two teams apart Rus/Ire/Fra/Eng/Spa, id est Wales and Belgium, will go to Hong Kong?
I didn't know there was also this aim at the stake, pity for Italy

I thought that they would use the world cup to get the next series new core teams?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 21:24

NaBUru38 wrote:http://www.sudamericarugby.org/2017/07/06/el-pasaje-femenino-a-rwc-7s-2018-en-juego-en-montevideo/

The 2017 Torneo Valentín Martínez, hosted by Carrasco Polo on November 10-11, will serve as qualifier to the 2018 Women's World Cup Sevens (one spot) and 2018 Women's Hong Kong Sevens (two spots).

Eight teams will compete: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Paraguay, Perú, Venezuela and Uruguay.

I guess because the 2018 South American Womens Championship will be the 2018 South American Games, TBP in May in Bolivia.
Last edited by victorsra on Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 10 Jul 2017, 21:28

About the Hong Kong Sevens I understand it will be a bit different from the men's Hong Kong Qualy. It is 3 teams from Europe, 3 from Asia, 2 from South America, 2 Africa, 1 Oceania and 1 North America. Am I right? At least it was the distribution in 2017.

Wales, Belgium and Poland qualified from Europe.

Sweden and Netherlands relegated from the Grand Prix.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 12 Jul 2017, 23:31

victorsra wrote:About the Hong Kong Sevens I understand it will be a bit different from the men's Hong Kong Qualy. It is 3 teams from Europe, 3 from Asia, 2 from South America, 2 Africa, 1 Oceania and 1 North America. Am I right? At least it was the distribution in 2017.

Wales, Belgium and Poland qualified from Europe.

Sweden and Netherlands relegated from the Grand Prix.

We don't know - but based on previous years I would not expect a separate WSWS qualifier. In the past - where possible - they have used 7s World Cup and Olympics as qualifier (to save money!). Strongly suspect, like Oympics, highest ranked non-WSWS team in San Francicso will qualify for 2018/19 WSWS

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby