Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Mon, 28 May 2018, 07:53

rey200 wrote:If I understand it correctly you are involved in the tournament? Can you do some kind of lobbying to increase the number of teams to 12?

Still there are ways to have a better 10 team schedule. Morocco played Mauritius thrice (at least I watched 2 games on saturday....), after being beaten by Zambia by a small margin.
Btw, the addition of Zambia should be a good argument for expansion, they gave Zimbabwe a hard contest and beat Morocco.

I am the coach of the Ugandan team. I cannot do much to influence decisions but I know that many coaches would welcome an expansion to 12 teams - the more women's teams that we have playing international rugby in Africa the better it is for the game on the continent.

You are correct. Morocco and Mauritius played each other 3 times - once on Saturday and twice on Sunday

Mon, 28 May 2018, 09:26

Just some other results that I see you have not listed here from Centrale Sevens in Paris on 22 and 23 May. I start of with only the matches by the National teams in which I include the Windmills from Netherlands. (Not sure if I should, but I am doing it anyway.)

In the knock-out phases (from semi-finals) and final I include invitational teams (Ramblin Jesters) and Clubs (Deltadrone Tuks), as both went on to play in the final.

Pool Games: Ukraine - 5 Germany, Wales 34 - 7 Georgia, Sweden 10 - 7 Belgium, Windmills 28 - 19 Belgium, Wales 33 - 0 Germany, Ukraine 38 - 5 Georgia, Windmills 14 - 7 Sweden, Wales 24 - 12 Ukraine, Germany 38 - 0 Georgia.

Quarter Finals: Wales 26 - 5 Ukraine, Windmills 14 - 10 Belgium

Semi-Finals: Ramblin Jesters 22 - 19 Windmills, Deltadrone Tuks 19 - 12 Wales

It appears that Germany withdrew after not making the playoffs, so they were ranked last (11)

Places playoffs:
9/10 place: Georgia bt Nadu Argentina with ease and they sopped some players for a final game, keeping with the spirit of the game...
7/8 place: Sweden 10 - 7 Finland
5/6 place: Ukraine 14 - 10 Belgium
3/4 place: Wales 28 - 0 Windmills
Final: Deltadrone Tuks 33 - 12 Ramblin Jesters

Mon, 28 May 2018, 09:45

I may also be speaking out of turn here, but the problem with African Rugby, including South African Rugby is generally a lack of planning. I believe South Africa had a long term planning in place and the Africa Sevens in terms of world standards was planned with relatively short notice. The tournament usually takes place in August/September and was changed this year. Sadly the programme was changed to fall in line with another "event", instead of that "event" being coordinated to fall in line with the existing program.

As far as I am aware, the Springbok Women's team had a planned break after the Commonwealth Games, where players were on previously planned leave for a few weeks after the Commonwealth Games. That would have given them no time to prepare for the Africa Sevens tournament in any case. So, you could say that they did not want to go into the tournament unprepared.

---
In terms of planning in general, I can just give my view on how things pan out in SA at times. We often, as a club get an email on a Wednesday with a request to play "tournaments" on Saturdays. It appears to me that African Rugby is now also following the pattern that I see too often at club level. This is extremely bad in terms of player preparations and conditioning programmes. A planned macro-cycle now needs to be interrupted in order to partake in an event that was planned late. While we might think it is not that late, it disrupts the planning and such interruptions do not benefit the players. This is in terms of conditioning and the possibilities of injuries.

We may laugh it off, but this is one of the reasons African Rugby, as a whole is struggling. We do not follow scientific principles in terms of planning for an on/off season, as there is no "season" planned in advance. The moment there is a properly planned schedule of matches or tournaments, with enough time in advance to adapt your macro-, meso-, and micro-cycles, that would be the moment African Rugby will start to grow in terms of standard and quality (and not just numbers).

An added benefit however, would be the increase of players from all backgrounds, following as a direct result from good performances. That way you do not have to try to "force" growth, as it will occur naturally.

I posted this reply, as I feel STRONGLY about proper planning and we, as a club have also declined participation in unplanned games. The decision was made in those cases because it interfered with the preparation for certain tournaments. One example from this year with the preparation for Stanislas/Centrale....

(Please note I am not speaking on behalf of anyone else here, but just based on my own (personal) experience)

Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:41

Neptune wrote:South Africa have been on a downward trend of late, and the first indication of that is when we played them at the commonwealth games, and we beat them 24 -12. Kenya will grow stronger and stronger until we claim the ultimate prize of joining the WSWS. This year, we missed it by a whisker after exiting at the semi -final stage. South Africa's excuse for not turning up, is that they were preparing for the RWC 7s in San Fran, which to me is a very lame excuse. You can only prepare by playing games. Kenya won each and every game with a 20+ scoreline against all opponents.

Totally agree - as excuses go it is pathetic. The best preparation for the World Cup is surely competitive international rugby. Apart from anything else, winning a few games would increase their confidence.
Last edited by johnbirch on Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:47

ugrugbychiclet wrote:The African qualifying process for next year's HK qualifiers has not been confirmed yet.

It rarely is by WR - especially publically - but if somehow South Africa are given a pass into the qualifier after boycotting the regional championship then there should be loud and long protests. Uganda deserve to be there. My concern would be the political power that SARU have inside World Rugby.

Mon, 28 May 2018, 15:04

Tuksrugby wrote:I may also be speaking out of turn here, but the problem with African Rugby, including South African Rugby is generally a lack of planning. I believe South Africa had a long term planning in place and the Africa Sevens in terms of world standards was planned with relatively short notice. The tournament usually takes place in August/September and was changed this year. Sadly the programme was changed to fall in line with another "event", instead of that "event" being coordinated to fall in line with the existing program.

As far as I am aware, the Springbok Women's team had a planned break after the Commonwealth Games, where players were on previously planned leave for a few weeks after the Commonwealth Games. That would have given them no time to prepare for the Africa Sevens tournament in any case. So, you could say that they did not want to go into the tournament unprepared.[/u][/i]

Thanks for that Tuks.

The date for the African 7s has been known for some time. If it was a timing issue then surely South Africa would surely not have entered in the first place, but on the day before the Commonwealths kicked off South Africa were listed as a participant in the African 7s in a RA press release datelined South Africa. All I have seen suggests they pulled out after Commonwealths. From the outside it really does look as if the team was withdrawn from the African 7s because of their performance in the Gold Coast.

If this means that they also now miss out on the WSWS qualifier next year (and surely it will?) then that makes it an astonishing decision.

It also has to be said that Kenya attended all of the same tournaments that South Africa did (or should have done).

Tue, 29 May 2018, 19:07

South American Games - Cochabamba 2018 (Bolivia)

Day 1
Argentina 38-0 Paraguay
Brasil 34-0 Colombia
Perú 34-0 Bolivia
Uruguay 41-0 Bolivia
Colombia 15-14 Perú
Paraguay 12-42 Brasil
Argentina 38-0 Uruguay

Day 2
Argentina 53-0 Bolivia
Paraguay 19-19 Colombia
Brasil 47-0 Uruguay
Colombia 47-5 Bolivia
Paraguay 29-7 Uruguay
Argentina 29-0 Perú
Brasil 43 - 00 Perú

Tue, 29 May 2018, 20:58

johnbirch wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:The African qualifying process for next year's HK qualifiers has not been confirmed yet.

It rarely is by WR - especially publically - but if somehow South Africa are given a pass into the qualifier after boycotting the regional championship then there should be loud and long protests. Uganda deserve to be there. My concern would be the political power that SARU have inside World Rugby.

Which is why I say rugby these days is being played in corporate boardrooms rather than on the pitch, which is very sad.

Tue, 29 May 2018, 23:25

Day 3

Uruguay 05 x 24 Peru
Bolívia 00 x 65 Brazil
Colombia 00 x 38 Argentina
Uruguay 05 x 45 Colombia
Paraguay 68 x 05 Bolívia
Peru 12 x 17 Paraguay
Brazil 34 x 05 Argentina - Yaras won again

Gold: Brazil
Silver: Argentina
Bronze: Paraguay (great achievement)

Wed, 30 May 2018, 11:06

Is any african team going to the youth Olympics, I guess South Africa never competed again.

Wed, 30 May 2018, 13:23

rugbyslave wrote:Is any african team going to the youth Olympics, I guess South Africa never competed again.

The qualifier for the Youth Olympics is in Algeria in July. Unfortunately Uganda is not going :cry: but I know that Kenya is sending a team. I am not sure which other countries are going.

Wed, 30 May 2018, 18:40

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
rugbyslave wrote:Is any african team going to the youth Olympics, I guess South Africa never competed again.

The qualifier for the Youth Olympics is in Algeria in July. Unfortunately Uganda is not going :cry: but I know that Kenya is sending a team. I am not sure which other countries are going.

One of the reasons for Kenya's growth is we grace each and every fixture we are called to without any excuses. Kudos to the Kenya Rugby Union and all stakeholders involved. I hope South Africa can borrow a cue from this, as the have a budget 10 times larger than ours.

Mon, 11 Jun 2018, 11:49

Congrats Georgia!

Thu, 14 Jun 2018, 17:35

Roma 7s (tomorrow and saturday) competing teams

Ladies
Italia 7s
Polonia 7s
Kazakistan 7s
Tuks ladies | South Africa
URSR 7s
Euskady 7s ladies

Men
Roma Seven
7 Sirs
Lituania 7s
Club Italia Seven

Italia 7s
Projecx Waterboys ( scotland )
Clandestinos 7s ( arg )
Euskadi 7s

Zimbabwe
Union de Rugby de Tjerra del Fuego ( arg)
Wyvern harlequins
Namau island 7s

Sat, 16 Jun 2018, 19:45

Apparently the women final in Rome is Poland v Almaty (Kaz), live in few minutes on

http://www.therugbychannel.it/roma-seven

Semifinals (?)
Poland v Italy 24-19
Kazakhstan Almaty v Tuks 17-0

Final
Kazakhstan Almaty v Poland 22-0

Sat, 23 Jun 2018, 16:43

I've just seen some of the European 7s trophy on the RE website. I can't say I was impressed with the standard. There is a huge gulf between these teams and the ones in the championship, so I really hope Netherlands don't mess up. They need to get themselves promoted back up to the championship and it must surely be possible against this opposition. But they have choked in the past. Lets see what day 2 will bring.

Wed, 04 Jul 2018, 11:43

Creating women rugby in Iraq. These girls are studying in an University sports faculty and are supposed to become both rugby players and rugby teachers around the country. At least this is what the farraginous google translation from the arabic seemed meaning

Sat, 07 Jul 2018, 14:28

2018-19 Womens Sevens Series calendar - 6 rounds, 1 more than 2017-18:

Round 1 – Glendale (Denver), USA - October 20-21 - new leg

Round 2 – Dubai, UAE - November 29-30

Round 3 – Sydney, Australia –February 1-3

Round 4 – TBC, Japan – April 20-21

Round 5 – Langford (Victoria), Canada – May 11-12

Round 6 – Paris, France – May 31-June 3

Mon, 09 Jul 2018, 06:42

Japan were quite easily the weakest team in the 2017-18 series and will be replaced by China. Hopefully China will offer a bit more resistance to the established teams - personally I think they will. Whether it will be enough to avoid the usual relegation rebound remains to be seen.

The Netherlands beat Ukraine in the final of the European trophy 2nd leg in a repeat of the 1st leg final. They both win promotion to next year's championship.

Wed, 11 Jul 2018, 21:11

Interviewed Women Eagle 7s Player Natalie Kosko, should be out tomorrowish.

Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 05:46

North America championship (10s mode), in Mexico City

Yesterday
USA South 48-0 Bahamas
Mexico 14-17 Jamaica
Jamaica 29-15 Bahamas
Mexico 14-26 USA South

Today
Mexico vs Bahamas
Jamaica vs USA South
3rd vs 4th Place Final: Mexico vs Bahamas
1st vs 2nd Place Final: Jamaica vs USA South

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... womens-10/

Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 18:49

World University Championship (7s mode)

Semifinals, tomorrow, will be
France v Belgium
Australia v South Africa

poor Brazil finished fifth without scoring a try and I think they have no more matches to play

North America Championship (10s mode)

third place final: Mexico v Bahamas 26-0
grand final: Usa South v Jamaica 19-12

Fri, 13 Jul 2018, 19:24

Interview with Natalie Kosko, USA 7s: https://soundcloud.com/earfulofdirt/lin ... -eagles-7s

Sat, 14 Jul 2018, 16:13

Canalina wrote:World University Championship (7s mode)
North America Championship (10s mode)

third place final: Mexico v Bahamas 26-0
grand final: Usa South v Jamaica 19-12

Just to round this off, the same teams played in the last round of pool games earlier in the day. The results were:

Mexico 24-0 Bahamas
USA South 42-5 Jamaica

Fri, 20 Jul 2018, 19:34

At the African Youth Games in Algiers there's also a women under 18 tournament, alongside the men's U18 one.
Just four teams competing: Morocco, Tunisia, Madagascar and RD Congo.
Anyway Madagascar and Congo forfeited from the men's competition and it appears a bit unlikely they instead travelled with the girls. All the six games of the round robin were fixed for today, let's see if some news will pop up
Post a reply