Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens 7's rugby - general news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Postby Canalina » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 12:02

Poland defeated also England, after Ireland!
Together with Belgium they are a big, big surprise

Ranking of Pool C in Kazan (Euro 7s leg II), after two rounds, is
Poland 4
Ireland 2
England 1
Italy 1

Last round
Italy v Poland
Ireland v England

National Flag:
Isle of ManIsle of Man

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 13:35

Asian Games

7th / 8th place: Korea 27 - 0 Indonesia
5th / 6th Hong Kong 45 - 0 Singapore

Bronze/4th: Kazakhstan 29 - 7 Thailand

Gold/Silver: Japan 7 - 5 China

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 15:17

Sorry, sometime I repeat the same question because in the meanwhile I forget the answer: how many Euro teams qualify for the W7WS qualifying tournament (3, I think to have understood) and apart which already qualified teams?

Thank you

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 17:45

Tomorrow

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 01 Sep 2018, 21:58

Canalina wrote:Sorry, sometime I repeat the same question because in the meanwhile I forget the answer: how many Euro teams qualify for the W7WS qualifying tournament (3, I think to have understood) and apart which already qualified teams?

Thank you

From an article John Birch wrote on Scrumqueens last week http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/europea ... eg-preview

there are three places in the World Series qualifier in Hong Kong for the top three sides not already in the series – and with perennial qualifier finalist South Africa out of the mix this could be the year that a sixth European team makes the grade. Belgium, Wales and Scotland currently fill these places and the highest placed of the three will also receive an invitation to one round of this year’s series.

There were some interesting, some may even say bizarre, results on the first day, leaving England and Wales scrapping amongst the bottom 4 for the bowl. I think Germany and Portugal are already relegated. I think Italy could make the Hong Kong qualifier if they finish above Scotland in this leg. In the 1st leg Scotland were 8th and Italy 9th. Wales and Belgium are probably already through to HK, unless Wales really mess up tomorrow, and even then...

Belgium may surprise some people, but they have made huge leaps in the last year or so and reached the semis on HK this year. Poland have really surprised me this time.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 08:10

Thank you Ned Rugbers

Italy is basically out of this race to the WSWS qualifying tournament, after this morning's quarterfinals

Current situation is
WAL 12
BEL 10
SCO 6
ITA 4
POL 3

but Italy lost its quarter (0-37 against the mighty Russia) while unfortunately (for us) Poland defeated Belgium, overcoming from 0-12 to 22-12.
So now Wales and Poland are definitively ahead of Italy; we may only hope that Ireland defeat now Scotland in the quarters, that we finish 5th in Kazan, that Belgium finish 8th and to have a points difference better than the belgians. A pretty unlikely combination

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 10:11

Nothing really unusual about the results at the Euro Grand Prix Series - England and France named pretty much completely different sides (virtual B teams) from the World Series, Wales and Ireland also with weakened teams. Spain and Russia seem to be the only 2 that took more or less first-choice players.

We have seen from the men's Euro 7s tournament that this makes a huge difference, as England, for example, regularly finish 6th, 7th, 9th, etc, despite being possibly the best 7s team in Europe.

The problem with this from a rankings/progress perspective, is that people think "wow, Poland beat England", they are closing the gap. But if England had fielded their A team, would Poland have won? It's not the best side England could have put out - they were intentionally using this tournament for development of their uncapped and inexperienced players. So it's not possible to make any meaningful judgment of the respective strengths of Poland and England based on this match. It doesn't make sense to give Poland a huge rankings boost on the basis of this win, and to punish England with a rankings drop, as "England" technically did not play that match.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 11:29

The final will be Russia v France (the russians are leading 17-0 vs Poland in semifinal)
France won the first leg, at home, defeating Russia in the final match, but I suppose that Russia, overwhelming all the opponents in Kazan, have a neatly better points difference; so, basically, the team which wins Kazan wins also the European Championship.
The final game is at 16.10 CET

Meanwhile Italy defeated Belgium and keeps a little hope to go to the WSWS qualifying tournament

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 12:33

mcruic wrote:Nothing really unusual about the results at the Euro Grand Prix Series - England and France named pretty much completely different sides (virtual B teams) from the World Series, Wales and Ireland also with weakened teams. Spain and Russia seem to be the only 2 that took more or less first-choice players.

We have seen from the men's Euro 7s tournament that this makes a huge difference, as England, for example, regularly finish 6th, 7th, 9th, etc, despite being possibly the best 7s team in Europe.

The problem with this from a rankings/progress perspective, is that people think "wow, Poland beat England", they are closing the gap. But if England had fielded their A team, would Poland have won? It's not the best side England could have put out - they were intentionally using this tournament for development of their uncapped and inexperienced players. So it's not possible to make any meaningful judgment of the respective strengths of Poland and England based on this match. It doesn't make sense to give Poland a huge rankings boost on the basis of this win, and to punish England with a rankings drop, as "England" technically did not play that match.

The "England" team is based around a core of new players who have just joined the squad - and they are all premiership players, so hardly complete greenhorns. So - frankly - "development" team or not they should have defeated a team whose annual budget is probably what England gets through in a week (okay I exaggerate, but not by much). Its like a non-league team winning an FA Cup match against Manchester United - even if United put out their second team they should still win as they have all the development support etc.

France reaching the final with - in effect - their university team (one below they "development" team, surely) also deserves a mention, both of itself but also in contrast to England. France seem to expect to win now - whoever is selected. England in contrast seem to lack... confidence? motivation? regardless who they select.

Bottom line - a team of England's brightest young premiership semi-pros just failed to reach a European quarter-final. That is unheard of. Massive alarm bells should be ringing at Twickenham.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 12:36

NedRugby wrote:From an article John Birch wrote on Scrumqueens last week http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/europea ... eg-preview

there are three places in the World Series qualifier in Hong Kong for the top three sides not already in the series – and with perennial qualifier finalist South Africa out of the mix this could be the year that a sixth European team makes the grade. Belgium, Wales and Scotland currently fill these places and the highest placed of the three will also receive an invitation to one round of this year’s series.

It is always worth adding a rider "unless World Rugby change the rules again without telling anyone".

Because they do tend to do this...!

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 13:23

After having defeated Spain some belgian players were almost in tears for the joy; I suppose they know that this placement brings them to Hong Kong, I doubt they could be so happy "just" for a 7th place in Kazan.
So Wales and Italy should be out of the W7sWSQ

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 15:49

Canalina wrote:After having defeated Spain some belgian players were almost in tears for the joy; I suppose they know that this placement brings them to Hong Kong, I doubt they could be so happy "just" for a 7th place in Kazan.
So Wales and Italy should be out of the W7sWSQ

Belgium also finished 5th overall - ahead of England.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 20:24

mcruic wrote:Nothing really unusual about the results at the Euro Grand Prix Series - England and France named pretty much completely different sides (virtual B teams) from the World Series, Wales and Ireland also with weakened teams. Spain and Russia seem to be the only 2 that took more or less first-choice players.

Why on earth would Wales take a weakened team and yet this is a very important tournament for them as it doubles as a qualifier for the series qualifiers?

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sun, 02 Sep 2018, 23:53

johnbirch wrote:The "England" team is based around a core of new players who have just joined the squad - and they are all premiership players, so hardly complete greenhorns. So - frankly - "development" team or not they should have defeated a team whose annual budget is probably what England gets through in a week (okay I exaggerate, but not by much). Its like a non-league team winning an FA Cup match against Manchester United - even if United put out their second team they should still win as they have all the development support etc.

Well, in pretty much this scenario in English football (The EFL Trophy), U-21 or "Academy" teams of the Premiership clubs compete against lower division teams. And they regularly lose. Last year, Tottenham's Academy team lost to Barnet, Wimbledon and Luton Town. Tottenham's wage bill is around 100 times that of Barnet. In Scotland as well, the Scottish Challenge Cup allows under-20 teams of the Premiership clubs to compete against lower division clubs. Just last month, Celtic's Under-20's lost 4-0 to 4th-tier Annan Athletic. The difference in budget between these 2 clubs is about as big as it gets. The development support did not matter at all when it came up against the experience and unity of the opposition.

In international football, New Caledonia lost 2-1 to Tuvalu at the Pacific Mini Games of 2017, fielding their Under-21 team. Just a few years previously, their main team had beaten the same opposition 8-0.

My point is - the scores can be vastly different between an A team and a B or youth team - as shown in the men's Euro 7s circuit as well. It's not necessarily worrying (Tottenham are hardly going to worry that their U-21 team lost to Barnet, for example), and there's not a neat connection between development support and results.

France did better than England - but England's group opponents went on to finish 4th, 5th and 6th. France's group opponents all finished lower (7th, 8th and 11th).
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 07:26

So are Scotland, Belgium and Poland going to Hong Kong? The Polish win vs Wales wouldn't be just a one-off event but also a crucial one to visit the qualifying event again!

Let's hope they get the best preparation they can get

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 12:03

rey200 wrote:So are Scotland, Belgium and Poland going to Hong Kong? The Polish win vs Wales wouldn't be just a one-off event but also a crucial one to visit the qualifying event again!

Let's hope they get the best preparation they can get

In the absence of anything official from WR who can say, but it seems from every other source that these three are off to Hong Kong.

Did the Polish success get them any media coverage? Beating England and Wales at rugby must be worth a few lines.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 18:59

basically nothing, I think some news through polish radio but the other stuff seemed to be based on one press agency message. I had to look for it though..

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 05 Sep 2018, 19:41

Brazilian Super Sevens (Womens National Series) kicked off last weekend in Florianópolis. The 1st of 6 legs.

Results: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... em-floripa

I invite you to watch the videos inside the article to see how the pitch was. A pond of mud...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 07:58

victorsra wrote:Brazilian Super Sevens (Womens National Series) kicked off last weekend in Florianópolis. The 1st of 6 legs.

I invite you to watch the videos inside the article to see how the pitch was. A pond of mud...

That looks nasty for Rugby 7's.. mud and 7's just doesn't compute. seen 2 of the videos is it the rainy season over there?

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 06 Sep 2018, 19:19

In Uruguay, women's rugby sevens is played along the year, so rain is very possible.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 08 Sep 2018, 01:41

How was that tournament not called off? Professional mens teams would struggle in those conditions.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 14:41

Thomas wrote:
victorsra wrote:Brazilian Super Sevens (Womens National Series) kicked off last weekend in Florianópolis. The 1st of 6 legs.

That looks nasty for Rugby 7's.. mud and 7's just doesn't compute. seen 2 of the videos is it the rainy season over there?

Not exactly raining season in Florianópolis.... but I checked it is the 4th month with more rain.

How was that tournament not called off? Professional mens teams would struggle in those conditions.

The Brazilian Rugby Union pays the costs for 8 core teams with Tax Incentive Law resources and the other non-core clubs struggle with money. And they only realised the conditions in the kick off day when everybody was already there. If they had called it off it would mean losses for everybody. They risked. Welcome to Brazilian club rugby where every cent is precious.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 11 Sep 2018, 21:29

The USAR Women 7s job has been posted and is open for application.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Thu, 13 Sep 2018, 00:44

RAN 7s in Barbados begin on 22nd September

Rugby Americas North seem to have got carried away and have already started filling in results:

https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/events/r ... 4d30a-3db9

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sat, 15 Sep 2018, 15:21

Asian 7s Series in HK:

1. Japan
2. China
3. Kazakhstan
4. Hong Kong
5. Sri Lanka
6. Thailand
7. Singapore