Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens 7's rugby - general news

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens 7's rugby - general news

Postby Canalina » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 14:14

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/2020-ol ... -confirmed

So next year for Italy and the other european teams the aim will be to finish on the podium of the Grand Prix (excepted the eventual european nations qualified via World Series): a first place means olympic qualification, the second and third place bring to the intercontinental repechage tournament

Are the Euro Trophy and Conference 1 nations already cut off? If not, how their repechage will work? I can't figure it

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 17:15

Good to know that the Olympic qualification format remains similar. The World Cup Sevens should adopt a similar format, with a world repechage tournament.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 18:28

In the men's section Blurdanski suggests that at least in Europe there could be a previous "repechage for the repechage" tournament, like in the past season. Id est just the second placed of the Euro Grand Prix would go directly to the final repechage tournament, while the other european spot in that tournament would be occupied by the winner of a previous tournament involving most of the other Grand Prix nations, the best three teams of the Trophy and the best team of the Conferences

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 06:22

As a "rib" of the men's XV Balkans Cup (Regional Rugby Championship) there's an interesting women 7s series, Women Regional Rugby Sevens, involving a core group of six clubs from Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia Herzegovina and Bulgaria plus some hosts changing tournament by tournament

In the first stage of the series (Olympia 7s, in Ljubljana) the two added teams were Donau Wien (Austria) and AlpTigers (Austria/Italy)

The series is composed by six tournaments (every core team hosts one stage) and has a good website http://wrrs.rrcrugby.com

I didn't know the existence of this event and it's a good surprise

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Wed, 19 Sep 2018, 21:58

Canalina wrote:http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/2020-olympic-qualification-process-confirmed

So next year for Italy and the other european teams the aim will be to finish on the podium of the Grand Prix (excepted the eventual european nations qualified via World Series): a first place means olympic qualification, the second and third place bring to the intercontinental repechage tournament

Yes it will be a good thing that there is a real prize at stake. No more excuses about experimenting with weaker teams. It is unlikely that more than one European team will qualify through the WSWS (probably France), so the rest of them will have a real battle. Should be interesting.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 08:04

https://www.sportkipik.be/guillaume-mun ... -belsevens

The Belgian coach has stepped down. Belgium have done surprisingly well the last couple of seasons, finishing 5th in the Euro grand prix series and qualifying for the Hong Kong tournament. Those with better French than me can work out why he resigned.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 08:24

He resigned because he is no longer able to keep his job while coaching the team.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 21 Sep 2018, 09:36

That's a bummer. It would make such a difference if these ambitious unions had just a few more resources to be able to pay for staff.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 22 Sep 2018, 13:07

There's also a girl from Mantova, 50 km north of my city in Italy, in the Dominican Republic playing in the RAN 7s today and tomorrow. She has an italian father and a dominican mother. So I will cheer for Dom Rep in this championship

http://www.vocedimantova.it/articoli/65 ... dominicana

PS: the nicknames for Dom Rep men's and women's teams are Tainos and Tainas, I don't know it this was already known in our list of rugby nicknames

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 13:19

St.Lucia was the best surprise of the RAN 7s championship. They defeated Guyana and Dominican Rep. and missed the bronze medal for just one try (0-5 in the little final)

Final ranking should be

1 Mexico
2 T&Tobago
3 Jamaica
4 St.Lucia
5 Dominican Rep.
6-8 Bermuda, Bahamas and Guyana (I don't know in which order)
9-10 Barbados, Curacao (as above)

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Mon, 24 Sep 2018, 15:33

Full results for the RAN 7s at at https://rugbyamericasnorth.com/events/r ... 4d30a-3db9

I would never have imagined St Lucia would make the semis.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 07:35

A bit of a downer for the Dominican Republic to win against Mexico and then to draw against Guyana and lose vs St Lucia.
But still, I think the Dom. Rep. improved very much comparing results with the last two editions. St Lucia didn't participate the last 4 editions. Let's hope they show up the next time..

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 16:05

With RAN'S tournament over, the Pan-American Games - Lima 2019 have 6 out of 8 teams confirmed:

- Peru
- Canada
- USA
- Brazil
- Mexico
- Trinidad & Tobago
- TBD during 2018 South American Championship - November in Uruguay
- TBD during the South American Olympics Qualy tournament in May/June 2019
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 29 Sep 2018, 12:07

Some results from Korea round of Asia Rugby Women’s Sevens Series

Kazakhstan 17-0 Thailand
China 43-0 Singapore
Hong Kong 41-0 Sri Lanka
Japan 48-0 Korea
Thailand 36-7 Singapore
Kazakhstan 27-5 China
Sri Lanka 22-5 Korea
Japan 24-12 Hong Kong

In perhaps the day’s only shock Asian Games bronze medalists Kazakhstan proved too strong for China.

Kazakhstan had three yellow cards in their win but that did not stop them recorded a 27-5 win despite being reduced to five players at one stage with Lyudmila Kototkikh scoring her third try of the day.

https://www.asiarugby.com/2018/09/29/as ... ns-series/

That's actually quite an achievement to lose a 7s game like that!

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 10:22

Japan wins the second stage and should be already qualified for Hong Kong next year.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 17:41

rey200 wrote:Japan wins the second stage and should be already qualified for Hong Kong next year.

Mathematically speaking they could still be overtaken - but agreed that is fantastically unlikely

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 17:44

In perhaps the day’s only shock Asian Games bronze medalists Kazakhstan proved too strong for China.

Kazakhstan had three yellow cards in their win but that did not stop them recorded a 27-5 win despite being reduced to five players at one stage with Lyudmila Kototkikh scoring her third try of the day.

Kaz had 7 yellow cards in 5 games - but still finished runners-up. Indeed they were winnng 12-0 in the final until they had another YC (and lost two tries while down to 6 players) They had similar problems in the first leg. This suggests they could possibly be Asia's number 1 is only they could stop upsetting referees.

That said IIRC its been a problem with Kaz at 7s and 15s for... ever, pretty much.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 19:04

johnbirch wrote:
rey200 wrote:Japan wins the second stage and should be already qualified for Hong Kong next year.

Mathematically speaking they could still be overtaken - but agreed that is fantastically unlikely

how? Ranking should be:

1. Japan 24
2. China 18
2. Kazakhstan 18
4. Hong Kong 14
5. Sri Lanka 10

China is part of the World Series, if 3 teams qualify again from Asia (like this year), Japan is qualified, because there's only a max of 12 points Sri Lanka can get at their home stage

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 30 Sep 2018, 21:29

johnbirch wrote:

Kaz had 7 yellow cards in 5 games - but still finished runners-up. Indeed they were winnng 12-0 in the final until they had another YC (and lost two tries while down to 6 players) They had similar problems in the first leg. This suggests they could possibly be Asia's number 1 is only they could stop upsetting referees.

That said IIRC its been a problem with Kaz at 7s and 15s for... ever, pretty much.

I've seen part of the final match Japan v Kazakhstan and I have to say that the kazak game didn't seem to me intentionally rude. The yellow cards I've seen and at least a pair of other whistles were caused by high tackles, but the feeling was that the kazak players tackled the japanese girls at the neck just because... the japanese necks were at the same highness of the kazak chests. It's like they were set to tackle at a certain highness and can't adequate to the fact that Japan players are 10 cm shorter than them

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 02:10

More of the Brazilian Water Polo/Womens Rugby National Champioship: http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... per-sevens

Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 02 Oct 2018, 10:28

Canalina wrote:
johnbirch wrote:

I've seen part of the final match Japan v Kazakhstan and I have to say that the kazak game didn't seem to me intentionally rude. The yellow cards I've seen and at least a pair of other whistles were caused by high tackles, but the feeling was that the kazak players tackled the japanese girls at the neck just because... the japanese necks were at the same highness of the kazak chests. It's like they were set to tackle at a certain highness and can't adequate to the fact that Japan players are 10 cm shorter than them

Those last 2 lines are quite funny but I also said pretty much the same thing. The Kazakh girls seem unable to bend while making tackles. :D

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 04 Oct 2018, 05:40

Ten teams competing in the Asian 7s Trophy (20-21 october), it's a good amount I think
https://www.asiarugby.com/results/asia- ... mens-2018/

Indonesia, Malaysia, Laos, Brunei, Guam; India, Philippines, Pakistan, Nepal, Uzbekistan

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 04 Oct 2018, 16:28

I presume the Asian 7s trophy is the second tier?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 04 Oct 2018, 19:19

Yes, second tier.
The Championship (first tier) is ongoing in these weeks and it will finish this sunday in Sri Lanka with the third and last stage.
I suppose there's a promotion/relegation channel between the two tiers but not sure about

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Wed, 10 Oct 2018, 23:07

Arab 7s in Egypt, 12th and 13th October.

There are 6 men's national teams, and a women's tournament with 4 teams - though it is not clear if the women's teams are club teams or national teams.

"Woman 2 v Woman 3" and "Woman 1 v Woman 4" are the semi-finals on the 12th, with 3rd place match and final on the 13th.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby