Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Women's Rugby Super Series

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Women's Rugby Super Series

Postby Canalina » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 05:04

According to a newzealander article, which I've read on an italian blog, this inaugural Super Series has some amateur aspects: the field of the Chula Vista center seems more fit to a side match of a B tournament than to the duels between the best teams of the Planet; the absence of stands (it seems that spectators have to bring folding chairs with them); the naivity of the locker room (a tend with movable wc); even the danger to find rattlesnakes when the ball finishes far from the field...
And, I add, the misery of the presentation photo, in the middle of that arid field which maybe is a meaningful place but reminds me the thirsty fields of Steinbeck's books...

"Goes without saying (but let’s just keep saying it anyway) that this would never, ever, ever, ever happen for the men", the journalist glosses

Article in italian -> http://www.onrugby.it/2019/07/01/women- ... san-diego/

Direct font https://twitter.com/sumostevenson

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 06:55

Canalina wrote:According to a newzealander article, which I've read on an italian blog, this inaugural Super Series has some amateur aspects: the field of the Chula Vista center seems more fit to a side match of a B tournament than to the duels between the best teams of the Planet; the absence of stands (it seems that spectators have to bring folding chairs with them); the naivity of the locker room (a tend with movable wc); even the danger to find rattlesnakes when the ball finishes far from the field...
And, I add, the misery of the presentation photo, in the middle of that arid field which maybe is a meaningful place but reminds me the thirsty fields of Steinbeck's books...

"Goes without saying (but let’s just keep saying it anyway) that this would never, ever, ever, ever happen for the men", the journalist glosses

Article in italian -> http://www.onrugby.it/2019/07/01/women- ... san-diego/

Direct font https://twitter.com/sumostevenson
see the world Rugby reply absolute feeble response, also there is a women's high performance conference in 3 days after the super series. I do wonder what are the standards for that. USA Rugby and WR have dropped the ball big time.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 16:09

Thomas wrote:I see the world Rugby reply absolute feeble response, also there is a women's high performance conference in 3 days after the super series. I do wonder what are the standards for that. USA Rugby and WR have dropped the ball big time.

Alright, thanks for falling into the trap of inaccurate social media drivel. As I told Scotty to his face, stop spreading rumors. There were only two media outlets actually covering the game (Myself and a local NBC Affiliate getting B-Roll), so any support on twitter or woke attack is bullshit virtue signaling.

Chula Vista is a World Class Training Center. Canada, England, France, and New Zealand 7s have all trained there previously. For this series: US, CAN, FRA home base is their training site because we only have three training pitches. New Zealand and England? Well they're being well taken care of by University of California-San Diego in La Jolla, another World Class facility coupled with some amazing picturesque landscapes and easy access to the beach which both teams have been utilizing frequently. The athletes from all five countries are being well taken care of.

The match pitch? Great condition. I was there. Are there change tents? Yes there were. Sorry, it's a training center and the locker rooms are .75 mile hump to get to, each team has a locker room at the center which is theirs for the duration of the tournament. Yeah, it's not a stadium, but there are stands at the match pitch for about 500, but there were way less than 500 there. I could understand that. Were there warnings about rattle snakes posted? Yes, welcome to California But the greatest challenge for Women's Rugby isn't facilities. It's just getting good fixtures. In the previous WC cycle USA Women played 3 1/2 matches/year. England 10/year. Black Ferns 6/year.

If you want to say every game needed to be in a Stadium and packed with 6k spectators. I would say I sort of agree with you, but World Rugby didn't actually deliver a marketing budget and was never going to. There is not real strategic plan to develop the Women's game by WR. It's a lot of smoke. England and France are dragging the game forward in Europe, and NZ is doing the same in Oceania/Asia. The location of the series is in a heartland of Girls and Women's Rugby. But if you have three matches on work days? And it's not a World Cup type event? In a country with a very small and poor Union? Yeah, you're going to get matches at an Olympic Training Center. We didn't drop the ball. There are a lot of people working their ass off to make the trains run on time, most of them volunteers spending their vacation time, so that we can pull this off.

If the Tier 1 Nations want to actually grow the game, how about a Women's HP grant program. Our women's program isn't even constrained, it's shackled because we have no money. Outside of this tournament, we're dependent on most camps they form for to be player funded. So if WR wants to changed their grant program so that T2 Unions can actually get ahead and develop, I'm all about that. But right now? We're chained to the teet to barely fund our M XVs and M/W 7s programs.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 16:37

TheStroBro wrote:If the Tier 1 Nations want to actually grow the game, how about a Women's HP grant program.

There is one just being put in place. Insufficient to keep the pace England is gaining, but there is one.

World Rugby is to blame for a lot of things, but not all of them. And hosting a "Super Series" with TV in a training field with barely any crowd on place is underwhelming.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 16:58

Rugby is a niche within a niche here. In the past 10 years, we've hosted 13 home matches. 10 of those Matches were in the Super Series (4 in 2019, 3 in 2016, 3 in 2013). We don't get enough fixtures because women's programs worldwide are not funded well at all. And we even struggle to go on tour.

Is it underwhelming because the match is on TV on a training field? Certainly. But if we don't get fixtures, we'll never be able to commercialize our game. And that's not a Women's Rugby issue as much as it is a Rugby issue. Because until the ARC there wasn't a true Test Tournament which granted the US Consistent fixtures. But the facilities in use in this series are world class and the athletes are being taken care of, everything else is just noise.

Let's take Spain for example: In the past 8 years Spain has hosted 21 home Fixtures. I haven't watch a Spain women's home fixture, so I can't tell. But your Union seems to be doing well with the REC on the men's side. Our fanbase is fleeting at best because we haven't had consistent fixtures of any kind to market to them.
Last edited by TheStroBro on Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 17:07

I didn't want to compare because we aren't on the same page.

On the one hand it would be unfair because we have got a sponsor for women's XV keen to see its sponsored product wrapped in a nice enveloppe, so all home games are played in proper stadiums, the same kind men's XV have been using, there is a promotion effort which explains why 9,000 gathered for REWC final last March against the Netherlands and there is a sort of strong community feeling among Spanish women's rugby which leads to invading foreign grandstands like in Dublin or Biarritz in the past few years.

On the other hand, we haven't had the chance to host the best four teams in the world like it is the case now with these Super Series (only France in 2017 and it was a disaster)... Yeah, you play less games, but higher quality opposition which should draw more attention. For Spain to keep a running test calendar we've had to host Hong Kong 5 times in 3 years...

It's hard for me to understand how things wouldn't be easily improved. You are the freaking USA. You've got a tournament called Super Series with World Rugby promoting it through its channels. You've got the best teams in the world. I get it's not your fault, I don't want to compare because it's pointless, but something more could have been done.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 17:23

The one NGB that is a pure spectator sport that is flush with Cash is USA Soccer. Rugby in the US is nothing. Seriously. There are close to 10MM children between U5-U18 playing soccer. There are under 40k U5-U18 Children playingRugby. Our youth population in Rugby is only 10% of what Lacrosse has.

It's a long long road here. MLR will help a lot, especially if MLR teams invest in stadiums and training facilities that the Union can partner with. In some ways hosting a World Cup is easier than hosting the Super Series.

As I said, the training facilities the athletes are using are as good or better than what they've got. Is the stage they're on not really a stage? Yeah, that's a problem that we need to fix overall. But that requires a lot of money, this is America, you need to make the product desirable to people, and we haven't done that. And we weren't given the money to do that.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 18:20

Thanks StroBro and sorry if we "fell" in the trap but we are not there and of course we have to believe to the reports of the people present on the place.
From my far point of view it still seems too big the gap between the effort on having the best five nations together for a round robin tournament and the choice of a venue far from the city, where way less than 500 people turned out. But I see your point and I understand your explanations.
A someway disappointing thing is that, according to your say, "rugby is nothing in the US"; and despite that you are more or less #1 in men's sevens, one the of the best teams in women's sevens and #5 in the world in women's XV. It push me to think "if rugby was just a bit popular in the US they would dominate all"

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 18:51

I fully understand where you are coming and have listened to your posts, and usually I agree to your comments but on this occasion I disagree this is not about Scotty's rant who went nuclear and slightly unhinged, but this is still the inequality and perception that women's rugby get compared to men and have to try twice as hard to prove themselves. I understand is a high performance centre but I assure you had it been a Men's super series it would have been in a better locations.

USA Rugby could have done better but I think I am seeing it from Tier 1 eyes and don't see the whole picture but I have been to enough international events and seen how the women's side is treated compared to men and they deserve equal footing.

The empty stands on TV didn't help matter and as Armchair alluded you have higher quality opposition which should draw more attention. World Rugby could have done better with the Ferns and England in town.

I agree USA is different from the rest of the continent and the other nations in so far you have to sell the product you are right on that point, I do hope if this is successful then is a regular series either annual or biannual.

I await to hear what comes out of the High Performance conference following the Super Series.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 20:20

I've worked as a team Liaison at both Vegas for the HSBC 7s Series and the Development international tournament Silicon Valley 7s, both events promoted by United World Sports. The facilities at least on the US stops were substandard outside of the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. The practice fields in Vegas and Gilroy (We had to drive the teams 30 minutes away from the hotel) were pretty disgusting. Broken beer bottles and everything. There was 1 gym for 200 athletes, but this wasn't even a big box gym that I would buy a membership to.

So yes, the stage itself kind of sucks I have plenty of beef with that because the spectator experience was awful. There was only beer and acai bowls for food. So aside from being super close to the action and able to have interaction post game, which the players families and players certainly enjoyed.

But for the purpose of this exercise, I went back at looked at the WRWC in Ireland and the facilities used. Most of them too small for a high school here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCD_Bowl, Capacity 3k, but only 1500 seats. What made it a stadium? Because there was a white pole fence around the pitch?

Billings Park, UCD, isn't a stadium. Although they built a popup with 2k capacity for the WRWC.

Upper Malone at Queen's University Belfast where all of the consolation matches took place has a field house adjacent the pitch and 400 seats. But when you say Stadium to me, the only one that really meant something from that was Kingspan.

But my main point about this wasn't about the stage. It was that the players are being taken care of quite well. It sucks That it couldn't be better, don't get me wrong. But if you're going to have an event like this you need a real marketing budget, and sadly we're not in that kind of position to do it ourselves. The final round will be held at Torero, which will be the best playing surface they've probably ever played on. I would put that pitch up against anything in the world. USD takes very good care of that field.
Last edited by TheStroBro on Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 20:42

Is there a World Rugby Feed for today's games?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 21:20

I think no. No for the whole tournament

They have a livescore

https://www.world.rugby/match/27341

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 21:42

So...I paid for it...ugh. $30 for a month. Real shocker from France so far. Great one from Canada.

What has happened to France?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 02 Jul 2019, 23:46

TheStroBro wrote:But for the purpose of this exercise, I went back at looked at the WRWC in Ireland and the facilities used. Most of them too small for a high school here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCD_Bowl, Capacity 3k, but only 1500 seats. What made it a stadium? Because there was a white pole fence around the pitch?

Billings Park, UCD, isn't a stadium. Although they built a popup with 2k capacity for the WRWC.

Upper Malone at Queen's University Belfast where all of the consolation matches took place has a field house adjacent the pitch and 400 seats. But when you say Stadium to me, the only one that really meant something from that was Kingspan.

If I remember well there was criticism about this too. Unfortunately since 2006 WRWC failure World Rugby and hosts have been very conservative and it will probably be the same in Australia. One can only hope that for 2025 and a return to Europe we will see expansion in number of teams, quality of stadiums and attendances.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 02:38

Good win for Canada over France today. What happened to France Feminines?

For the US, I wouldn't say outclassed in every facet of the game because I also think that the Black Ferns had an awful game. However...they played awful, physically dominated the Women Eagles pack, and still won on the trot 33-0.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 17:20

This tournament really seems like a race for second place. Black Ferns just too powerful.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 20:01

grande wrote:This tournament really seems like a race for second place. Black Ferns just too powerful.

More like NZ and Eng, the defence of Can and USA are good at times, but most of the time they win posession and go for the lineouts, the NZ locks steal the ball. The NZ locks especially Blackwell have stolen so much lineout ball, the USA were forced to call for a scrum instead of going for the lineout. Very demoralising.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 20:04

So I decided to delve into the event criticisms, so here we are: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2019/07/wo ... event.html

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 03 Jul 2019, 20:26

TheStroBro wrote:So I decided to delve into the event criticisms, so here we are: https://www.earfulofdirt.com/2019/07/wo ... event.html

Good Blog, you hit the nail on the head in the final comments where you stated World Rugby should have come in and do more particularly on the marketing side.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 06 Jul 2019, 21:21

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 07 Jul 2019, 04:47

Oh my. France turned this tournament upside it's head. Would have been nice if Canada was able to hold their early form against England to close it out and that would have really changed everything. Very Surprised with France following the Canada loss. Looks like this will be a fun fourth round on Wednesday.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 07 Jul 2019, 06:00

The last penalty try permitted to New Zealand to save the #1 in the world ranking, if my calculations are correct.
The Black Ferns should have now just 0.13 advantage on England, or around it. But a victory versus France, this wednesday, would give England the leadership (again, if calculations are correct)

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/wru

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 08 Jul 2019, 17:43

Post Match Comments from Gaelle Hermet, Annick Hayraud, Glenn Moore, Elissa Alarie, and Simon Middleton.

https://youtu.be/hERXE_ApjPs

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 09 Jul 2019, 01:58

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 11 Jul 2019, 02:16

Well...two identical scorelines.

ENG 20-18 France

CAN 18-20 USA