Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Female Referees of Male Internationals

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Female Referees of Male Internationals

Postby rampage » Tue, 14 Apr 2015, 05:17

I noticed on the weekend that Canadian referee Sherry Trumball refereed the final round of the NACRA Championship North game between Cayman Islands and Mexico.

I was wondering if anyone knew how many female referees have been given the whistle for full international male matches.

The only other one I can think of is Hong Kong's Gabriel Lee, who has refereed a few lower division Asian championship games. I also remember an American referee getting appointed to a Tier 2 November international a few years back, which ended up being washed out.

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Re: Female Referees of Male Internationals

Postby grande » Tue, 14 Apr 2015, 13:26

I've seen in happen in sevens a couple times, but never in fifteens.

I think Trumball was AR for a (mens) Six Nations match this year, but I can't find anything about it online, so I could be dreaming.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Thu, 16 Apr 2015, 04:21

grande wrote:I think Trumball was AR for a (mens) Six Nations match this year, but I can't find anything about it online, so I could be dreaming.

Nah - nothing in match appointments (WR or SA Referees) or on Wikipedia

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby rampage » Thu, 16 Apr 2015, 04:33

Finally found it:

Dana Teagarden was meant to referee the Netherlands v Hong Kong match in 2010, and be the first to be appointed by the IRB to referee a men's full international match. However, the match got snowed out, and never went ahead.

Prior to that, Gabriel Lee refereed Uzbekistan v Mongolia in a match, appointed by the ARFU (and I would imagine that Trumbull's appointment came from NACRA).

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Fri, 27 Nov 2015, 06:29

Sara Cox gets an RFU contract. She has not done any male international games but this thread seemed the most appropriate to post it in.

http://rugbyreferee.net/2015/11/25/rfu- ... ign=buffer

Return to Women's Rugby