Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby TheStroBro » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 05:41

Canalina wrote:North America will have a 10s championship (=no XV) also in 2020, according to Usa South new season prospect
There's also an "International 10s Development Series", in which Usa South will field an U23 team

http://www.usarugbysouthpanthers.com/up ... s_orig.png


Back 2 Back Campeones!

Any link for a stream of the Wallaroos and Black Ferns, saw your radio link.

Posts: 5562
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 17 Aug 2019, 07:08

Black Ferns win it comfortably 37-8. Honestly, there are only two players in the Wallaroos lineup that look of genuine class. One is Gracey Hamilton the captain and Number 8, she hits the ball hard, the other is our outside centre Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea, she's small but nimble and allusive. She's only 19 but has a bunch of talent and skills already. Other than that though the girls are too one dimensional, lack ideas and go forward. The gap has closed from what it was 5 years ago, their fitness is much better, but it's not enough to come close to beating the Black Ferns.

Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby TheStroBro » Sun, 18 Aug 2019, 23:37

I would disagree somewhat. I think you have good athletes on your side overall. Yet the quality of the competition at Club level isn't there as it is in NZ. Also, the depth of the Farah Palmer Cup is much higher than the Super W. Then you add to the fact that the Black Ferns training group is under a professional contract scheme and the Wallaroos still gotta pay for flights to get to camps. Wallaroos are in a more similar structure to the US than they are to NZ. Also, what's the integration with 7s? If your 7s women were more open or allowed to play XVs that would increase the standards in the backline and the backrow because they are your only fully professional group of players. Just like it does for the US. This wasn't even the best of the Black Ferns as they're missing Blyde and Woodman.

So...how are we gonna pay for this thing considering how US, AUS, and CAN fund their women's programs? AUS can fix theirs overnight considering their financial turnover honestly.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/08/1 ... -18-august

Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 08:06

I agree ARU have never worked out what to do with both programs, the 7's players are ageing and they wont be able to play 7's forever there must be an outlet to XV program.

they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

On a separate, @JohnB I saw the postings on the website, What's with the U18 Blackout? why wasn't there any news?

Posts: 413
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 19:07

Thomas wrote:On a separate, @JohnB I saw the postings on the website, What's with the U18 Blackout? why wasn't there any news?
I have NO idea - other than the RFU have always been very reluctant to do any publicity about any women's age group rugby. Even U21s is like pulling teeth sometimes, U18 and TDGs we always have to rely on parents (going back 10 years or more).

The other home nations are very different, and Canada and the USA are also very open and helpful. We normally only know about England age group rugby through their opponents.

Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby TheStroBro » Mon, 19 Aug 2019, 20:22

Thomas wrote:I agree ARU have never worked out what to do with both programs, the 7's players are ageing and they wont be able to play 7's forever there must be an outlet to XV program.

they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

On a separate, @JohnB I saw the postings on the website, What's with the U18 Blackout? why wasn't there any news?


Treherne came through to the 7s program following the World Cup...but there were no 7s players made available for the Wallaroos. So they suffered.

Posts: 5882
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 02:26

http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticia ... a-colombia

Brazil's 23 names to the match against Colombia.

One player, Andressa Contreras, played that 2008 match against the Netherlands. She's the only one to receive a 2nd cap.

Two Olympic players: Raquel Kochhann and Isadora Cerullo.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 319
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 10:50
National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 08:06

victorsra wrote:http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticias/yaras-convocadas-para-o-historico-jogo-de-xv-na-colombia

Brazil's 23 names to the match against Colombia.

One player, Andressa Contreras, played that 2008 match against the Netherlands. She's the only one to receive a 2nd cap.

Two Olympic players: Raquel Kochhann and Isadora Cerullo.


Is this Brazil's second ever XVs international match then? This is great that more women's teams in non-traditional rugby countries are investing in XVs.

I counted a total of five 7s players, including Kochhann and Cerullo, but that was without crosschecking 7s records. Am I right, or are there more (or less)?

Posts: 5562
Joined: Sat, 05 Jul 2014, 02:44
National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby thatrugbyguy » Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 12:19

TheStroBro wrote:I would disagree somewhat. I think you have good athletes on your side overall. Yet the quality of the competition at Club level isn't there as it is in NZ. Also, the depth of the Farah Palmer Cup is much higher than the Super W. Then you add to the fact that the Black Ferns training group is under a professional contract scheme and the Wallaroos still gotta pay for flights to get to camps. Wallaroos are in a more similar structure to the US than they are to NZ. Also, what's the integration with 7s? If your 7s women were more open or allowed to play XVs that would increase the standards in the backline and the backrow because they are your only fully professional group of players. Just like it does for the US. This wasn't even the best of the Black Ferns as they're missing Blyde and Woodman.

So...how are we gonna pay for this thing considering how US, AUS, and CAN fund their women's programs? AUS can fix theirs overnight considering their financial turnover honestly.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/08/1 ... -18-august


There's a lot of girls who are athletic, but there's not really any clear standout rugby players other than Grace and Alysia. Rugby Australia dropped the ball for years with the womens national team. 7's became the priority for women's rugby which was the stupidest move they could have possibly made. Whilst nations like NZ, England and France moved into semi-professional status for their ladies XV's the ARU thought nothing of it until women's sport nationwide started to be invested in. Honestly, the only reason rugby along with a bunch of other sports, started investing in their women's teams is because the local Netball league become fully professional and became super popular on TV, meaning girls were for the first time able to actually earn a living playing teams sports. Rugby, along with AFL, League, Soccer and Cricket, are in a struggle to compete with Netball because they can only pay women small wages in comparison, meaning our best women's athlete's are likely to forever be drawn to where the money is. Basketball also pays decently too.

Posts: 5882
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Tue, 20 Aug 2019, 18:24

ugrugbychiclet wrote:
victorsra wrote:http://www.portaldorugby.com.br/noticias/yaras-convocadas-para-o-historico-jogo-de-xv-na-colombia

Brazil's 23 names to the match against Colombia.

One player, Andressa Contreras, played that 2008 match against the Netherlands. She's the only one to receive a 2nd cap.

Two Olympic players: Raquel Kochhann and Isadora Cerullo.


Is this Brazil's second ever XVs international match then? This is great that more women's teams in non-traditional rugby countries are investing in XVs.

I counted a total of five 7s players, including Kochhann and Cerullo, but that was without crosschecking 7s records. Am I right, or are there more (or less)?


Yes, the only test until now was the 2008 Netherlands 10-00 Brazil in Amsterdam.

Raquel Kochhann, Isadora Cerullo, Rafaela Zanellato, Leila Silva, Mariana Nicolau, Milena Mariano and Isadora Lopes are from the Brazilian sevens squad of the last Pan-American Games. Marcelle Souza and Franciele Martins players in 2019 for the sevens national team too.

But there isn't women's 15-a-side club rugby in Brazil. All the players only play sevens at club level.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Thu, 22 Aug 2019, 07:09

There's an interesting discussion on the comments below this post, on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/sudamericarugb ... =3&theater

Some direct or almost direct witnesses remember, even if confusedly, the games played by Venezuela vs Colombia and vs T&Tobago

- - -

Burkina Faso saw the first women XV match
www.rugbyafrique.com/burkina-faso-apres ... ugby-a-xv/

Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Thu, 22 Aug 2019, 08:21

I have email directly for clarification but according to some of the players they played in 2003 a test match against Venezuela. One of the players at the time was injured and didn't participate in the match. there also photos published on the facebook page of such match.

User avatar
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Thu, 22 Aug 2019, 19:11

Have you received some answer, Thomas? Apparently not
It's a pity to let slip in the oblivion, unrecorded, those possible test matches

User avatar
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat, 19 Apr 2014, 14:41
National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby NedRugby » Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 00:11

thatrugbyguy wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:Rugby Australia dropped the ball for years with the womens national team. 7's became the priority for women's rugby which was the stupidest move they could have possibly made.

I have to disagree with this. 7s is a very important part of rugby. Even more in women's than in men's rugby. Australia were better than the Black Ferns for a couple of years and that has to count for something. It is an Olympic sport and deserves to be respected.

Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 07:46

Canalina wrote:Have you received some answer, Thomas? Apparently not
It's a pity to let slip in the oblivion, unrecorded, those possible test matches


So far we know there are 2 test matches that took place in 2003 and I am still awaiting results and venues, Venezuela in those early years where a force to be reckon. We know the first recorded test was in 2001 and the last one for that period was 2010. the question how many did they play in the intervening years?

Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 15:24

World Rugby is now acknowledging the 2003 test but I still cannot get any details:

https://www.world.rugby/news/444347
Although this will not be the first women’s international in South America as first understood – Colombia and Venezuela played once in 2003 – it is the start of an exciting road that could lead to Rugby World Cup 2021 for both teams.

User avatar
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 17:35

Anyway it's nice that World Rugby have so quickly received and accepted that info about the 2003 game/s. Maybe their south american correspondent, the author of the article, has just read the same facebook post's comments we also have read.
It's strange how a 2003 match (not a medieval one!) between two national teams can drop in the oblivion. You think that some traces -articles, reports, images...- must surely have left on the web, instead there was nothing

Posts: 1575
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014, 20:40
Location: Europe
National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Thomas » Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 18:08

yeah that's the amazing thing, no digital print and have been searching for hours. I know the 2nd match was in Bogota.

Posts: 413
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 20:03

Thomas wrote:yeah that's the amazing thing, no digital print and have been searching for hours. I know the 2nd match was in Bogota.
Believe me, not amazing at all. Entire Rugby Europe tournaments from that period took years to unravel. Not everything appears on the web, and certainly didn't 15-20 years ago especially when women's rugby was almost certainly not run by the main men's unions.

Posts: 5882
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Sat, 24 Aug 2019, 19:15

Image

Brazilian XV:

15 Leila Silva, 14 Rúbia Domingos, 13 Mariana “Mari” Nicolau, 12 Rafaela “Rafa” Zenellato, 11 Isadora “Isa” Lopes, 10 Raquel Kochhann, 9 Isadora “Izzy” Cerullo, 8 Franciele “Fran” Martins, 7 Íris Coluna (c), 6 Milena “Mille” Mariano, 5 Sofia Arantes, 4 Marcelle Souza, 3 Camila Gonçalves, 2 Andressa Contreras, 1 Franciny “Bu” Amaral;

Suplentes: 16 Addalucia “Adda” Nascimento, 17 Suzana Rodrigues, 18 Ana Paula “Mima” Lacosqui, 19 Dayana Dakar, 20 Tabata “Colors” Coutinho, 21 Letícia Medeiros, 22 Marina “Tchoba” Fioravanti, 23 Thalita “Tchubata” Costa;
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Sun, 25 Aug 2019, 17:59

Live on https://www.facebook.com/FecorugbyTucan ... 221799188/

More than 1,200 viewers currently

Colombia leading 12-7 at the middle of first half

Posts: 5882
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Aug 2019, 19:49

FT - Colombia 28 - 07 Brazil - Congrats Tucanes!

Long way for the Yaras to go. There is no women's 15-a-side in Brazilian club rugby. Lots to learn.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

User avatar
Posts: 4983
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Sun, 25 Aug 2019, 19:50

Colombia v Brazil 28-7

Quite a surprise to me. I have seen just few minutes of the match but it seemed a good success: decent crowd on the stands, more than 1,000 viewers constantly on facebook and a lot of likes (if this may count). I have the feeling that the adventure of Colombia in rugby XV will keep on, it will be not an other play-one-match-and-stop nation

Posts: 5882
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby victorsra » Sun, 25 Aug 2019, 19:55

In fact, no surprise. As I said, Brazilian players never played 15s... Colombians did AFAIK
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 413
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2014, 08:10
National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 25 Aug 2019, 22:07

After today's test in Colombia, more nations (33) have played women's test rugby in 2019 than in any previous year.

The complete list (so far) is: Australia; Brazil; Canada; China; Colombia; Czechia; England; Fiji; Finland; France; Germany; Hong Kong; India; Ireland; Italy; Japan; Kazakhstan; Kenya; Madagascar; Netherlands; New Zealand; Philippines; Russia; Samoa; Scotland; Singapore; South Africa; Spain; Uganda; United States; Wales; Zambia; Zimbabwe.

The previous record was 32 in 2011.

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest