Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 21:07

Fiji qualify for the WRWC with a 41 - 13 win over Samoa

https://www.world.rugby/news/543018

Tour Match: Netherlands 0 - 18 Hong Kong

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 22:00

If I'm not wrong Samoa are going to lose 6 world ranking points in two weeks (and Fiji will gain the same amount)

Hong Kong is going to gain 5 points in one week, and Netherlands to lose the same amount

Samoa and Netherlands should lose half a dozen of positions, with the ineffable Portugal overcoming them both.
Japan (+2.80), Hong Kong (+5.00) and Fiji (+6.00) are the greatest gainers in these autumn test matches

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 30 Nov 2019, 22:03

Silvia Turani, the italian prop playing for Barbarians this afternoon, started to play rugby just three years ago, during an university year in Cordoba, Spain. I suppose that going in three years from not-knowing-rugby to a Barbarians jersey could be a world record

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 02 Dec 2019, 14:39

Brazil will travel on December 15th to NZ to train and play some friendlies. This is the preparation for our new 15-a-side team to face the also new 2020 South American Championship (RWC Qualy).
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 09:36

Due to the German Union's financial problems, the German XVs won't play in the European championship in 2020, according to a post by the DRV on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DRVRugby/photo ... 905598243/
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 09:44

One way or another it seems impossible to establish a serious continental tournament...

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 10:02

Armchair Fan wrote:One way or another it seems impossible to establish a serious continental tournament...

Imho the problem is all rugby problems in a nutshell.
1) the snobbish and stupid attitude of closed shops, which always kills growth
2) the non-Olympic problem, tough to get state funds for XVs (as women's sport tend to not have the same appeal to sponsors and paying attendance)
3) the relatively small base rugby in general has

Even if there are important specific problems to Germany, this three points is what we all need to work hard to change. Otherwise we might end up with only 7s in many countries. The more open structure of 7s has brought massive growth of 7s rugby in Germany i.e.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 21:08

If we had an open structure for competitions with travel payed by the organization, amateur national teams become possible. But continental unions are poor, so...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 06 Dec 2019, 21:59

RugbyLiebe wrote:Due to the German Union's financial problems, the German XVs won't play in the European championship in 2020, according to a post by the DRV on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/DRVRugby/photo ... 905598243/
The post seems to have been taken down.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 12:40

There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
https://www.rugby-verband.de/interview-mit-drv-generalsekretaer-volker-himmer/

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 17:23

Thomas wrote:There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
I'm relying on Google to translate but I can't see anything that confirms a withdrawl. In fact the women don't seem to be mentioned at all

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 17:25

I read the Facebook post before it was taken down. It said they maintained activity, with games expected v British Army (?) and Belgium in the next three months but were indeed withdrawing from REWC.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 18:07

johnbirch wrote:
Thomas wrote:There are comments on the page that allude to the situation. also here's the link to the interview with DRV Secretary
I'm relying on Google to translate but I can't see anything that confirms a withdrawl. In fact the women don't seem to be mentioned at all

The only comments that I found are as follows:

What positive aspects can you finally give the rugby fans?
Yes, in such a situation, unfortunately, the positive news always go down a bit. But what the 7th program does, albeit under different conditions, is exemplary and marked by success. And also with the 7-women now very good work is done at the performance bases. The success of the newly formed 15-team in Poland shows that we have potential that the Bundesliga is not as bad as some people claim. The defeat against the Netherlands also shows that we still have a way to go to knock higher again.

I believe he states 7's women for Germany not XV.
Armchair Fan wrote:I read the Facebook post before it was taken down. It said they maintained activity, with games expected v British Army (?) and Belgium in the next three months but were indeed withdrawing from REWC.

I briefly saw that I wish I had kept it. Only seen the comments on the FB page asking what is going on.

The odd thing is that the Rugby Europe website still has the women's fixtures as going ahead for March.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sat, 07 Dec 2019, 18:28

Thomas wrote:
johnbirch wrote:

The only comments that I found are as follows:

What positive aspects can you finally give the rugby fans?
Yes, in such a situation, unfortunately, the positive news always go down a bit. But what the 7th program does, albeit under different conditions, is exemplary and marked by success. And also with the 7-women now very good work is done at the performance bases. The success of the newly formed 15-team in Poland shows that we have potential that the Bundesliga is not as bad as some people claim. The defeat against the Netherlands also shows that we still have a way to go to knock higher again.

I believe he states 7's women for Germany not XV.
Armchair Fan wrote:I read the Facebook post before it was taken down. It said they maintained activity, with games expected v British Army (?) and Belgium in the next three months but were indeed withdrawing from REWC.

I briefly saw that I wish I had kept it. Only seen the comments on the FB page asking what is going on.

That is interesting - well, and depressing - as we are back to square 1 potentially. Back to only offering only 7s, like they did from 2010 to 2016.

But when they reformed the German XVs in 2016 it was pretty much on the understanding that the DRF (the women's union) would manage the team, and that the DRV would offer minimal support. This would be for two years with an extension based on performance. They presumably were extended for 2019.

Since then Germany have played 7 tests and won 4 (Switzerland twice, Belgium and Czechia) and lost 3 (Spain, Netherlands and Russia).

It would be interesting to know what level of support the DRV had been offering.

And I am sure that RE offer some financial support to taking part in the Euros? Probably not a lot but rather more than Germany will get for playing the British Army and Belgium.

Previous

Return to Women's Rugby