Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Womens XVs Rugby - Global news & Developments

Postby Canalina » Wed, 16 Jan 2019, 17:47

Thanks Armchair

Some news about this? Or is it a mistaken fixture?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 16 Jan 2019, 18:15

Uncapped game according to Scrumqueens:
https://www.scrumqueens.com/news/irish- ... on-weekend

--

I know I've ranted already about this in the past, but it's unfortunate to see richer unions make less efforts to stream or broadcast on TV their games than here. Last year's called off game in Scotland wasn't going to be offered at all, while now that we host it we offer a wide range of possibilities to follow it live and free...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 12:08

http://www.rtve.es/deportes/mas-tdp/directo/ is working also abroad

Good crowd, I'd say several hundreds people

Scotland leading 12-5

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 12:13

HT 10-12

Good set pieces by Spain, but if Scotland holds possession for 80% of the time it's hard...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 12:53

great try, Spain! Maria Garcia and Patricia Garcia.

Are they related?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 13:00

No, it's a pretty common family name. Only Erbina sisters are related.

But one is current star and the other is tipped to be the one to follow in the next future.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 13:08

FT 29-24

3,400 spectators according to FER. A shame that it clashed with Cup male semi-finals...

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 13:45

As Georgia is asking for a place in men's Six Nations, Spain is asking for a place in Women's Six Nations

Maria Ribera Garcia
‏@MariaRibGar

Big Win for Spain 29 @ferugby 24 @Scotlandteam. Great effort from a young squad that have played really well! To many players U20 have played today and that mean that ESP love RUGBYxv and that we want to play against the strongest team. #6nations please!!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 13:53

To be honest we never stopped asking for it and we always were sent to f*** off. Last time, right after 2017 WRWC. Even today I'm told a senior member from FER said on live TV that we should stop asking for it since it's a private tournament and they will never change their mind.

And we must realise our political power is subpar. Men's XV fiasco didn't help and even with the expansion of World Rugby Council a Spanish female member was never considered (and I'm aware of the merits of the Swiss elected by Rugby Europe, but...).

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 16:03

This was a very very good game IMO, Yes 6 Nations for Spain I am all for that. You are higher ranked than Ireland and skewered Scotland. You have a strong case to ask for inclusion. Hard to demand from a private competition but need to keep chasing.

The Men's fiasco is done and dusted. everyone needs to move on and FER should concentrate their efforts on the women's seems that is where you going to get the quick win and expand on that front and maybe Men's will move forward.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 16:13

Keep irratiting them! Inclusion or not, this win is very important
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 17:52

Thomas wrote:This was a very very good game IMO, Yes 6 Nations for Spain I am all for that. You are higher ranked than Ireland and skewered Scotland. You have a strong case to ask for inclusion. Hard to demand from a private competition but need to keep chasing.

The Men's fiasco is done and dusted. everyone needs to move on and FER should concentrate their efforts on the women's seems that is where you going to get the quick win and expand on that front and maybe Men's will move forward.

And tomorrow, if my calculations are correct, they will overcome also Wales, by 0.01 or 0.02

https://www.world.rugby/rankings/wru

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 19:00

rey200 wrote:Keep irratiting them! Inclusion or not, this win is very important

Sure, there are great plans (some young players have been given grants and regional academies are developed) on place but in the end we keep always walking on a high wire.

Nothing of what happened today will work if we miss 2021 WRWC, which given the number of tickets available and how close W6N bottom and our women are is a very likely scenario. And let's not forget either that a big number of today's game stars are reliant on 7s grants that could be gone by this Summer if Spain fails to keep its Olympic chances alive...

It's always been like that, playing with the menace of losing everything every three or four years. Maybe it's even the key of success.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 19:25

No, it's a pretty common family name.

Yes, I know, in Portuguese too. But rugby has family traditions... so I asked.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 21:05

Full game

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sun, 20 Jan 2019, 23:47

Congratulations Spain. Great win!

However I recommend that you lose from time to time against the likes of Scotland or they won't want to play you any more. We saw that in the men's U20 with Georgia - don't be too successful or they'll take their ball away and go home.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 12:33

Its' Official Spain are now eight.

https://www.world.rugby/news/391430

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 22 Jan 2019, 12:42

Thomas wrote:Its' Official Spain are now eight.

https://www.world.rugby/news/391430

Congrats, a great achievement. I wonder if womens rugby could be the door opener to end that i.e. the 6N aren't accepted as a qualifiying tournament by World Rugby anymore (Apartheid comes to my head, but there must be a better world to describe wath the 6N are doing to all other European Unions). At least it is a possible starting point.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 20:58

Scotland 7 - Italy 14 at Half time

cracking game..

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 01 Feb 2019, 21:32

Final Score
Scotland 7 - 28 Italy
Ireland 7 - 51 England

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 06:21

Scotland v Italy highlights, but I don't know if they are viewable outside Italy

https://video-it.eurosport.com/rugby/se ... ideo.shtml

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 02 Feb 2019, 22:04

France 52 - 3 Wales

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 06 Feb 2019, 13:15

Another interesting Iberian club game: Universitario de Sevilla v Benfica next 16 March
https://twitter.com/RugbyfemSevilla/sta ... 0089533440

It looks like Sporting success is allowing Portuguese women's XV rugby to gain traction.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 12:44

Interesting article coming from Argentina

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... federation

Female player suing the AFA taking legal action against her club, UAI Urquiza, and the Argentinian Football Federation for not recognising her as a professional player.

She states:

“The clubs and the Argentinian Football Federation do not recognise us as workers and deny us basic rights such as a salary, something that men do receive for playing football, and other basic things and tools that any high performance athlete needs: places to train, shoes, medical coverage and clothing, to name a few.”

In Argentina women’s rights are “constantly violated,” says Sánchez, “in the workplace and in all areas of women’s lives. Our society continues to be retrograde, misogynistic and ‘macho’. Women in this country suffer from gender discrimination and all kinds of violence.
which I think is key in relating to Rugby Union and other countries across Latin America they are not given the same respect as Men.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 07 Feb 2019, 13:50

Maybe I'm unconsciously retrograde too but this kind of reasoning often appears to me very stretched.
Why she should deserve a salary? Because she is one of the best woman footballer in her Country? I'm one of the best "Fountain Pelota" players in Italy (it was a "sport" me and my friends invented when we were kids) but I don't think I'm entitled to have a salary for this. Market says if you deserve or not a salary and evidently women football in Argentina, as in the most of the World, is not quite popular to make the players rewarded. Why it is not popular is completely an other branch of the argument; I admit that it could be linked to a male-inclined vision of the world, but not sure about that. In tennis, alpine ski and other sports women are as famous as men, also in a team sport like volleyball women are almost popular as men, so maybe the fact is just that -at the moment- women football is perceived as much less entertaining than men's one.
An other doubt is: she should be salaried because she is an "high performance athlete"? But bricklayers or plumbers are not payed because they are the best in the World in their job, they are payed because they do that job; high or average performance, no matter. So if we wanted to be equal and we wanted to have no discriminations at all we should pay all the players of every sport, even who plays futsal one evening per week with the friends. And it seems absurd, obviously

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby