Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens Olympic 7s qualifiers

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Re: Womens Olympic 7s qualifiers

Postby Thomas » Sun, 26 Jun 2016, 19:05

Huge congratulations to Las Leonas I was truly impressed by their game and of course doing the double, Russia and Ireland take the minor places and thought they were indeed good both teams. ireland a lot of young blood there.

The revelations of the tournament: China their Fitness was good and they just need better playing onus and tactics. Madagascar for me full of promise and the best of the African teams.

Latin America as whole need to improve in all aspects and basic coaching.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sun, 26 Jun 2016, 21:54

Really important victory for Spain. I was afraid about what could happen if the women's team failed, as the men's team has qualified. Spanish women always performed really well, they derserve.

Yes, South America's women's scene is very poor.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 07:32

Highlights of the final, russian hymn is always heart fueling

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 08:22

Big congrats to Spain. What a couple of weeks for Spanish rugby! As I thought, compared to the mens tournament this went very much to script except the final. I think Russia really missed their version of Patricia Garcia, Russia's capt Nadezhda Kudinova who cruelly missed the tournament with injury. If anyone could've kept Garcia under wraps and also been the same kind of threat on the other side of the coin it would've been Kudinova. I think if the tables had been turned and Spain was missing Garcia I very much doubt that Spain would've won. That's not to dismiss the performance of other Spanish players but it's just Garcia was that instrumental in her team's success and was undoubtedly the tournament MVP. I'm sure Russia struggled also not having as much pace as usual. Kazakova is an out and out flyer but seemed hampered by injury and Russia also had another absolute flyer (whose name I don't recall right now) that wasn't in Dublin who was a real threat a couple of years ago. The young girl Bobkova impressed but I don't think she's as fast as Kazakova or the other player. I somehow don't think the Russian squad is as strong as the one a couple of years ago. That squad also had a pretty decent standoff who played well with Kudinova in concert but was also missing in Dublin. I haven't watched the womens SWS closely at all this past season so I don't know what's happened with the Russian squad but there seems a lot of newer faces from Moscow a couple of years ago.

Ireland was pretty impressive and gave the Russians a good run for their money. They've got some good players in their side. Obviously Miller is a good try scorer but the No7 who was a real dynamo and technically good in her play was one of the best players on show. The capt played well too.

Kazahkstan didn't do too badly either. I thought they were the most likely team outside the top three to make the semis and they did. Would've been nice if they'd scored early v Spain as they got close just to add a bit of interest but Spain's D was just too good and I think even if KAZ had put first points on the board Spain would've still won comfortably. They were just a rung further up in quality. A very poor and indisciplined game from their normally outstanding capt didn't help KAZ in the semi. KAZ like they did in the Asian tournaments gave away far too many ruck pens so discipline and technical skill in that area needs improvement. They're also not fit enough. They need to be fitter to go up that next level. Losing their speed merchant and top tryscorer near the start of the game can't have helped KAZ.

As for the other teams we got pretty much what was expected. WR really has to put some focus in the next four years into bringing up the level in these teams as at the moment compared to the men the level just drops off so severely after the SWS teams. a number of teams had never or only once played outside their continent. They must be allowed to get a lot more experience, and coaching assistance, so that in 3-4 years time this qualifier is a lot more competitive.

It was interesting to see the best attacking Samoan player, Mose, who scored 4 tries in their 1st game never played again in the tournament. I can only imagine an injury she got in the latter part of that 1st game sidelined her for the rest of the tournament. Either that or she had an argument with the coach about something! She was by far and away their most dangerous looking runner so if she got injured cos the coach didn't bring her off soon enough in that 1st game then if I was her I'd be pretty pissed with the coach!

Would like to say Cook Islands played pretty well. Infact I thought they played better than Samoa and the better runners. It was interesting to see they had an ex-BF7s rep from Moscow 2013. I'm sure that experience and expertise helped them. The Greig sisters were in pretty much everything good that the Cook is team

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 08:40

BTW still can't believe HKG ref Gabriel Lee will be in Rio. Watched one of the pool games and in 3 mins she made three atrocious errors (1 of which was recovered when she belatedly whistled after getting the correct call from one of the ARs). Simply unbelievable that WR can keep giving this ref chances at the top level when she consistently gets it so blatantly wrong. It was also interesting that commentator and ex NZ7s capt Karl Te Nana wasn't afraid to voice his disagreement a number of times over poor decisions by a few refs. Wonder if he got a smack on the hand and warning by WR for not being so PC.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 08:51

I forgot to say how impressive Barbara Pla was too. She just keeps trucking on and is playing with as much determination and verve as she was five + years ago! She seems to have been around forever but is still evergreen!

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 09:06

YamahaKiwi wrote:BTW still can't believe HKG ref Gabriel Lee will be in Rio. Watched one of the pool games and in 3 mins she made three atrocious errors (1 of which was recovered when she belatedly whistled after getting the correct call from one of the ARs). Simply unbelievable that WR can keep giving this ref chances at the top level when she consistently gets it so blatantly wrong. It was also interesting that commentator and ex NZ7s capt Karl Te Nana wasn't afraid to voice his disagreement a number of times over poor decisions by a few refs. Wonder if he got a smack on the hand and warning by WR for not being so PC.

I agree in the TV commentary he tone down considerably. In regards to the Refs I liked the KIWI she really did well as well as the English

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 09:34

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 15:16

What about the groups for the Olympics?

Do we already know them?

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 22:19

The draw will be tomorrow in Rio, 3 PM, local time (7 PM London time) and will be live streamed in www.rio2016.com .

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 09:55

BTW I forgot to mention above that Russia also lost original tournament capt Petrova for Sunday play. When you think about it Russia were on the end of some bad luck for this tournament. And the very good, pacey winger that used to be in their team was Rusiet Edidzhi. The standoff was Mukhariamova. Kudinova had a very good combination with her that I thought was a strength of the Russian team a couple of years ago. That (and the control and guidance it gave to the team) looked to be missing at this tournament compared to Moscow 2013. Wonder what happened to those two?

Interesting to see in an interview with Russia's coach by Scrumqueens that Bobkova has only been playing for 3 months!

http://www.scrumqueens.com/features/where-now-russia

Nice youtube clip put together of Rusiet Edidzhi

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 09:57

victorsra wrote:The draw will be tomorrow in Rio, 3 PM, local time (7 PM London time) and will be live streamed in http://www.rio2016.com .

Ok, so 6am NZ time. great I can watch while getting ready for work! :D

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 10:02

YamahaKiwi wrote:BTW I forgot to mention above that Russia also lost original tournament capt Petrova for Sunday play. When you think about it Russia were on the end of some bad luck for this tournament. And the very good, pacey winger that used to be in their team was Rusiet Edidzhi. The standoff was Mukhariamova. Kudinova had a very good combination with her that I thought was a strength of the Russian team a couple of years ago. That (and the control and guidance it gave to the team) looked to be missing at this tournament compared to Moscow 2013. Wonder what happened to those two?

Interesting to see in an interview with Russia's coach by Scrumqueens that Bobkova has only been playing for 3 months!

http://www.scrumqueens.com/features/where-now-russia

Very interesting interview particularly about the future he has been at it for 5 years and the Olympic Committee reluctance to support the team and Rugby. When the new macro cycles come into play after the Olympics, what are the priorities not just for Russian but the other women's teams.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 18:19

Group A: Australia, USA, Fiji and Colombia
Group B: NZ, France, Spain and Kenya
Group C: Canada, GB, Brazil and Japan

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 18:53

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 30 Jun 2016, 21:57

Group B has two European teams and no Americas...

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Fri, 01 Jul 2016, 12:13

NaBUru38 wrote:Group B has two European teams and no Americas...

Yeah it is the biggest oddity. the repechage was always going to throw a misnomer, regardless of which group.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 01 Jul 2016, 15:53

Pool 1: AUS (group A), NZL (group B), CAN (group C)
Pool 2: FRA, USA, GBR
Pool 3: FIJ, ESP, BRA
Pool 4: COL, KEN, JAP

AUS goes to group A, NZL to group B, CAN to group C.
USA goes to group A, FRA to group B, GBR to group C.

ESP should go to group A, BRA to group B, FIJ to group C.
Because there are Europe teams in groups B and C, Americas teams in groups A and C, and Oceania teams in groups A and B.

Previous

Return to Women's Rugby