Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Womens Olympic 7s qualifiers

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Womens Olympic 7s qualifiers

Postby ormond lad » Sat, 04 Jun 2016, 16:22

Thomas wrote:I believe the winner will come out from one of this countries

Ireland, Samoa my dark horses Argentina or Mexico
I don't think we have a shot. Games may be at home for Ireland which will be a significant boost but I don't see that helping us actually win the comp to qualify

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 04 Jun 2016, 20:18

Russia can blow hot or cold, but they should win. Spain might beat them on a good day. Ireland and China a way behind them. Haven't seen Samoa, but presumably they are not as good as Fiji, so Russia and Spain should be able to beat them.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Sat, 04 Jun 2016, 22:00

South American teams have few appearances at international tournaments. I wouldn't dismiss Argentina for semifinals.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Thu, 09 Jun 2016, 11:57

Despite unwarranted pressure to the Kenya Rugby Union by the National Olympic Committe of Kenya (NOCK) to withdraw the women's rugby team from the Olympics, Kenya Lionesses continue with their preparations....

http://sportsnewsarena.com/kenya-liones ... oma-sevens

Does anyone know why are the pressuring the 7's team is this because of financial reason or the scandal engulfing Kenyan Athletics and Kenya is cutting their losses??

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 01:33

Thomas wrote:Despite unwarranted pressure to the Kenya Rugby Union by the National Olympic Committe of Kenya (NOCK) to withdraw the women's rugby team from the Olympics, Kenya Lionesses continue with their preparations....

http://sportsnewsarena.com/kenya-liones ... oma-sevens

Does anyone know why are the pressuring the 7's team is this because of financial reason or the scandal engulfing Kenyan Athletics and Kenya is cutting their losses??

Probably to give space on the plane to joyriders like govt/sports officials etc. Happens when it gets close to the olympics.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 09:15

Trendsetta wrote:
Thomas wrote:Despite unwarranted pressure to the Kenya Rugby Union by the National Olympic Committe of Kenya (NOCK) to withdraw the women's rugby team from the Olympics, Kenya Lionesses continue with their preparations....

http://sportsnewsarena.com/kenya-liones ... oma-sevens ig

Probably to give space on the plane to joyriders like govt/sports officials etc. Happens when it gets close to the olympics.

Trendsetta. Unfortunately, you are probably right. Same sort of stuff happens in Uganda. Horror stories of athletes/sportspersons who qualified for the Olympics/CWG etc having trained for months (most of the time using their own money to prepare and travel for build up meets/tournaments/events) discovering that their names were missing from the list a day before travelling. You find more "officials" than athlets/sportspersons in the travelling contingent and those usually disappear for the duration of the event to sight see, shop, visit friends and relatives ... For the CWG in Scotland, they tried to remove 2 players from the rugby team claiming that they only needed 3 subs not 5 and also tried to remove the rugby physio and replace him with another physio ...

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Thu, 16 Jun 2016, 16:16

Opening game will be Argentina vs Kazakhstan - an intriguing match to start!

The Trinidad & Tobago squad
Nicolette Pantor, Kenisha Vincent, Ornella George, Apphia Glasgow, Dalia Jordan-Brown, Kathleen Stephen, Akila Lowman, Victoria Carlisle, Latifah Carlisle, Alesha Bruce, Payola Jack, Ayana Skeete, Kenisha Samuel and Onica George.

T&T arrive in Ireland early to take part in the Kilkenny "Marble City" 7s as part of their warm up.

http://www.ttoc.org/index.php/sports/ru ... lification

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 20 Jun 2016, 11:12

If posters are looking for a dark horse I wouldn't go past KAZ. They were probably the better team v JPN in the 2nd stage Asian qualifier final in Tokyo but got absolutely reffed off the field unjustly in a very bad reffing performance by the Kiwi ref. Otherwise they looked pretty good.

Russia definitely firm favourites but we saw what happened to Samoa. Having said that I don't think the womens field is as competitive as the mens so I think there is less chance of an upset of the highly-seeded teams. I think as far as the favourites are concerned this is going to be a more clear-cut event. There may be an upset in the semis or final but I doubt we'll see the favourites too troubled in the pools and QFs. The winner is probably going to come from one of Russia, Ireland, Spain (who now will be very motivated to match their men's result) or possibly Kazahkstan. I would've said a couple of years ago that China would be in the mix (actually they would've been favourites for the Asian place until Japan overtook them) but that team rather than improving has faltered if anything.

I don't see any of the others getting close. None of the South American teams have beaten Brazil and Brazil has lost many, many more matches against the above favourites than it's won in the WSWS. The Caribbean teams seem to be very far off the pace of even developing teams in other parts of the world. Samoa might have a small chance but their results in the Oceania qualifier v Fiji and WSWS core team qualifier don't indicate they're good enough. Which leaves the African teams which are in the same position as the South American ones in that they can't beat the best team in the region and the best team in the region hasn't got good history v the likes of Spain and Russia. so if it doesn't, what chance the lower-ranked African teams?

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Mon, 20 Jun 2016, 11:29

ormond lad wrote:
Thomas wrote:I believe the winner will come out from one of this countries

Ireland, Samoa my dark horses Argentina or Mexico
I don't think we have a shot. Games may be at home for Ireland which will be a significant boost but I don't see that helping us actually win the comp to qualify

Shows how much you don't know about your own home team. Compared to the mens 7s team, the womens team has been around longer and is more established and is one of only four teams that have had consistent top level experience in the WSWS and top international tournaments. They would be 2nd or 3rd favourite and have a significantly better chance of qualifying than your mens 7s team did.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 11:17

Russia squad

1 Дарья Бобкова (РГУТИС-Подмосковье)
2 Арина Быстрова (РГУТИС-Подмосковье)
3 Марина Кукина (РГУТИС-Подмосковье)
4 Марина Петрова (РГУТИС-Подмосковье)
5 Кристина Середина (РГУТИС-Подмосковье)
6 Мария Шемчук (РГУТИС-Подмосковье)
7 Елена Здрокова (Енисей-СТМ)
8 Анна Минисламова (Енисей-СТМ)
9 Мария Перестяк (Енисей-СТМ)
10 Юлия Гузева (Красный Яр)
11 Екатерина Казакова (Красный Яр)
12 Байзат Хамидова (Красный Яр)
13 Оксана Коробчук (Химки)
14 Дарья Лушина (Химки)

And the google translit

1 Daria Bobkova (RSUTS-Moscow)
2 Arina Bystrova (RSUTS-Moscow)
3 Marina Kukina (RSUTS-Moscow)
4 Marina Petrova (RSUTS-Moscow)
5 Kristina Seredina (RSUTS-Moscow)
6 Maria Shemchuk (RSUTS-Moscow)
7 Elena Zdrokova (Yenisei-STM)
8 Anna Minislamova (Yenisei-STM)
9 Maria Perestyak (Yenisei-STM)
10 Julia Guzeva (Krasny Yar)
11 Ekaterina Kazakova (Krasny Yar)
12 Bayzat Khamidova (Krasny Yar)
13 Oksana Korobchuk (Khimki)
14 Daria Lushina (Khimki)

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 15:31

PORTUGAL: Antónia Braga (C.R. Arcos Valdevez), Arlete Gonçalves (S.L.Benfica), Catarina Antunes (S.L.Benfica), Catarina Ribeiro (SC Porto), Christina Ramos (S.L.Benfica), Inês Spínola (MRC Bairrada), Isabel Ozório (Sporting), Leonor Amaral (Sporting), Maria Heitor (LCMV), Maria Lezita Guerreiro (SC Porto), Maria Vásquez (S.L.Benfica), Sara Jéssica Silva (C. D. Tondela).

SPAIN: RIBERA, Maria XV (SANSE SCRUM), GARCÍA RODRÍGUEZ, Patricia (OLÍMPICO POZUELO), ECHEBARRIA, Iera (OLÍMPICO POZUELO), BRAVO, Marina (CISNEROS), ERBINA, Amaia (INEF BARCELONA ), MARTINEZ, Elizabet (G.E.i.E.G.), RIAL LÓPEZ, Ana Vanesa (CRAT), MEDIN, Paula (CRAT), PLA, Barbara (GETXO), CASADO, María (BLAGNAC SAINT-ORENS), GARCÍA ALONSO, Berta. (FER), DEL PAN MORUNO, Ángela (FER)

ARGENTINA: Aguilar, Mayra (La Querencia), Alcaraz, Lettizia (San Patricio), Billerbeck, Noelia (CAPRI), Botelli, María Eugenia (Argentino Bahía Blanca), Cazorla, Rita (Cardenales), Fazzi, Magalí (La Plata Rugby Club), Fontanarrosa, Isabel (Cardenales), Genghini, Mayra (Marabunta), González, Sofía (SITAS), Montero, Valeria (Villa Gesell), Padellaro, Josefina (Catriel Rugby Club), Pedrozo, María Paula (CAPRI)

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 16:33

Madagascar squad

Laurence Rasoandrasana.
Andoniaina Randrianarijaona.
Voahirana Sophie Razafiharisoa.
Marie Angèle Lalaharison.
Sarindra Sahondramalala.
Mbolatiana Dina Raveloarinoro.
Claudia Rasoarimalala.
Felaniaina Marie Jeanny Rakotoarison.
Marie Christien Bodonandrianina.
Tantely Razafimahefa.
Faniry Nantenaina Raoliarivololona.

I don't have the team list for Cook Islands, but only one of the squad is based in the islands with 10 based in NZ and 1 in Australia.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Wed, 22 Jun 2016, 09:29

SCRUMQUEENS Predictions for the weekend

http://www.scrumqueens.com/news/preview ... spot-grabs

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 23 Jun 2016, 11:32

Zimbabwe

Charity Mucucuti (captain), Margaret Magwaro, Caroline Malenga, Peace Sithole, Precious Marange, Simbisai Kadye, Ruvimbo Musere, Constance Ngwende, Lindiwe Munerenyu, Rumbidzai Chabveka, Rumbidzai Chigumbu, Gertrude Masora.

Coach: Abigail Kawonza
Manager: Susan Kamukai

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 08:59

I suppose WorldRugby are organising the stream but it also available at

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/37706.php#.V25HwNIrLGg

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHH-Upw9aA

Perhaps a bit less busy ( last week's stream from WR was really choppy for me)

Argentina quickly off the mark with a score! Hang on, think I mistook the shirt colours, Kazakhs in white Argentina in black :| Kazakhs 17 - 5 up at halftime.

Final scores
Argentina 5 - 36 Kazakhstan
Cook Islands 12 - 12 Hong Kong
Mexico 5 - 5 Venezuela
Spain 38 - 0 Tunisia

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby YamahaKiwi » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 10:48

Mmm...Samoa looking pretty good. Game v Russia could be interesting. Only thing is Mose looked tired after scoring 4 tries in the 2nd half so given there's more and bigger games to go it was poor by the coach to not look after a top player. Stuff like that could prove big in a cut-throat game on day two. Mose should've come off after first couple of mins in 2nd half.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 10:50

Aye, Samoa 57 - 5 Zimbabwe. Trying to make up for the failure their male counterparts ;)

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 11:00

Mexico - Ven I was expecting a result. I thought Mexico were very good in the 1st Half they fell in the last couple of minutes. Samoa looks good they came to win.

Russia was impressive against Madagascar they look sharp

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 11:38

Final scores
Samoa 57 - Zimbabwe 5
Russia 57 - Madagascar 0
China 24 - Portugal 5
Ireland 51 - Trinidad and Tobago 0

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 12:30

Cook Islands not getting a win yet but they are really making it hard for their opponents with some very good 7s defence, well I did say almost all their squad are based in NZ!

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 12:34

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Cook Islands not getting a win yet but they are really making it hard for their opponents with some very good 7s defence, well I did say almost all their squad are based in NZ!

That was a good game

Argentina 17 - Cook Islands 12

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 12:53

Pulling for Kazakhstan, personally. I don't think they'll make it, but I'm hopeful.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 12:59

Impressed with KAZ good win against HK

Kaz 21 - HK 12

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 13:03

Stick with my picks of Samoa and Ireland, both look very good. disappointed so far with Mexico playing into Tunisia's hand.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sat, 25 Jun 2016, 13:15

Thought the African teams looked a bit out of their depth so far but Tunisia stopped the rot there. At least today is dry in Dublin even if it's on the cool side but it's not a good forecast for tomorrow.

So many restarts not making the 10m...

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby