Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Women's World Sevens Series 2015-16

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Women's World Sevens Series 2015-16

Postby victorsra » Thu, 03 Sep 2015, 23:51

I do worry about what will happen to Brazilian rugby post-2016. If they are not in the WSWS (and I cannot see them getting back as things stand) the money will quickly dry up.

I agree, but it wasn't the money from WR that was doing the difference for Brazil. What is determinant is the money from "Lei de Incentivo ao Esporte", a Brazilian law that allows companies to destine a % of their taxes to Olympic sports. It is an incentive from Brazilian governament to sports (and something similar exist to cultural activities, like theater and cinema). Confederations, federations and clubs (any sports association) can write a project and submit it to the Ministry of Sport, that will analyse and aprove it or not. If aproved, the association can search companies that want to put money in the project. That's quite simple and efficient. However, after the Olympics, it is not clear if the governament will keep this law with the same % of taxes incentive.

Also, Olympic sports in Brazil receive a % of Federal Lottery money, and the % is set according to international results and some other criterea.

That's the equation. I don't believe in the apocalypse after the Olympics, but it will be harder, of course.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby diegodolan » Thu, 22 Oct 2015, 21:46

Don´t know if it´s ok.

But I receive this

WSWS 2015/2016
Dubai 3-4/12
Sao Paulo 20-21/02
Atlanta 8-9/04/
Langford 16-17/04
Londres 20-21/05
Amsterdam 27-28/05

Can someone confirm this?

Thanks!

National Flag:
CanadaCanada

Postby grande » Thu, 22 Oct 2015, 21:56

The dates for Canada (Langford) are certainly correct.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Sat, 24 Oct 2015, 20:43

I hope it is right, and that Amsterdam is still one of the legs. If I understand it right there are 11 core teams and 1 invited team for each leg. Presumably the Dutch will be invited to their own leg, but I'm afraid their standard will have dropped since they just failed to qualify, quite a few of the most experienced players have quit recently.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Sun, 25 Oct 2015, 14:12

London and Amsterdam are still not confirmed. We can speculate why (because they would have announced by now if it was that simple) but my educated guesses would be...

London made a god-awful hash of handling their round last year, and seriously upset several leading teams who were less than happy about having to trail over to the main stadium for a final in front of a rapidly departing crowd, while those who came to watch were also annoyed about not being able to watch the final. In short, London is probably being asked to come up with a MUCH better plan. Trouble is that the back pitches behind Twickenham are either too small for international sevens, or have no room for spectators.

As for Amsterdam, its not very promising. The initial contract was for three years - and its had those three. In addition (well informed) rumour has it World Rugby's plan is/was that the (expected) three non-WSWS Olympic qualifiers (probably Colombia, Brazil and South Africa) will each be invited to two tournaments - so no room for the Dutch.

BUT (and its a big but) where else could the sixth tournament go? It would have to be in a country that will be at the Olympics AND are in the WSWS. So... France (not sure they'd want it)? Amsterdam (but without the Dutch) - unlikely? So my best bet would be Japan - IF they win the Asian qualifier. Hard to see what other options there are and my guess is that the delay in announcing is due to World Rugby waiting to see both the outcome of the Asian qualifier, and what sort of job Japan make of the second leg. Indeed the very fact that Asia is having their women's qualifier over two legs (when their men are just having one) suggests that Japan may indeed be on trial.

And if Japan do not win the Asian qualifier? Who knows..? World Rugby will then have four Olympic teams who are not in the WSWS, so the two-tournament plan will be off the table. Could that mean one tournament each - and therefore room for the Dutch at Amsterdam after all? Your guess is as good as mine.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 03 Nov 2015, 11:42

Talking with Brazilian RU about the bids to host both men's (failed) and women's (confirmed) series, what I understood is that even the women's series is a bit expansive for the host union (I believe Brazilian RU spended 400.000 dollars, that is expansive for them... most of it was IT in the stadium and hotels... luckly for Brazilian bid Barueri city is a business city and in February the hotels weren't busy and they made a great deal swaping publicity). As far as I remember Dutch RU was really bad financialy.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Fri, 13 Nov 2015, 14:04

So... latest is that WR have annouced details of the WSWS - and only four tournaments. Apparently "discussions" about other rounds are on-going.

I think we can confirm from this that, at the very least:

* Amsterdam is indeed at an end - and will probably remain so until the Dutch manage to get back into the Series.
* London is at the very least severely in doubt, almost certainly due to the reasons I gave a couple of weeks ago.

However there have been NO official explanation for this from WR (or even unofficial, off-the-record. Honest!). Nothing. Zip. Nada. Difficult to believe that WR would get away with such a level of non-explanation in the men's game. Indeed they would not even try.

But then the Six Nations is only 2/3 months away and we still do not know all the venues, so you get used to it...

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 13:31

Canada's team for Dubai 7s (http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsl ... page=91708)

Britt Benn - (Guelph Redcoats) Napanee, ON
Caroline Crossley - (Castaway Wanderers) Victoria, BC
Arielle Dubissette-Borrice - (Toronto Scottish RFC) Toronto, ON
Julia Greenshields - (Sarnia Saints) Sarnia, ON
Magali Harvey - (Club de Rugby Quebec) Quebec City, QC
Jen Kish, captain - (Edmonton Rockers RFC) Edmonton, AB
Ghislaine Landry - (Toronto Scottish) Toronto, ON
Megan Lukan - (Unattached) Barrie, ON
Mandy Marchak - (Capilano) Winnipeg, MB
Kayla Moleschi - (Williams Lake Rustlers) Williams Lake, BC
Karen Paquin - (Club de Rugby Quebec) Quebec City, QC
Kelly Russell - (Toronto Nomads) Bolton, ON

Maple Leafs for the Dubai International Invitational

Moanda Anglo - Regina, SK
Olivia Apps - (Lindsay RFC) Lindsay, ON
Emily Belchos - (Markham Irish) Innisfil, ON
Christina Branch - (Oshawa Vikings) Oshawa, ON
Ashley Gordon - (Brampton Beavers) Brampton, ON
Nakisa Levale (Abbotsford, BC)
Kayla Mack - (Wild Oats) Saskatoon, SK
Breanne Nicholas - (London St. George's) Blenheim, ON
Nicole Ronsky (Calgary, AB)
Elysa Sandron (Winnipeg, MB)
Charity Williams - (Markham Irish) Toronto, ON

No sign of Bianca Farella in either team. Is she injured? She last played in Amsterdam but was not part of the 16 woman squad that was in Australia last month.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 14:17

ugrugbychiclet wrote:No sign of Bianca Farella in either team. Is she injured? She last played in Amsterdam but was not part of the 16 woman squad that was in Australia last month.

Yes, it's a pity. Thanks (also) to her italian roots she is my favorite international player. I checked a bit her facebook and twitter pages but she doesn't mention any injury, or any disappointment for the missed selection.
Don't know..

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby womenrugbyru » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 20:13

Canalina wrote:
ugrugbychiclet wrote:No sign of Bianca Farella in either team. Is she injured? She last played in Amsterdam but was not part of the 16 woman squad that was in Australia last month.

Yes, it's a pity. Thanks (also) to her italian roots she is my favorite international player. I checked a bit her facebook and twitter pages but she doesn't mention any injury, or any disappointment for the missed selection.
Don't know..

While Canada will take a strong side to Dubai, they have also been hampered by injuries as Ashley Steacy, Hannah Darling, Natasha Watcham-Roy, Bianca Farella, Sara Kaljuvee, Elissa Alarie and Nadia Popov will all miss the tournament. Between them, they have 49 appearances on the Sevens Series.
http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens ... ews/123786

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 22:11

Welcome womenrugbyru. So are you Russian or Italian?

Steacy is certainly a class player and will be missed along with Farella. The link you pointed to seems to imply that Farella is one of the list of injured. There is still plenty of talent in the team - Magali Harvey, Jen Kish, Ghislaine Landry, Mandy Marchak, Karen Paquin - and no doubt the newcomers deserve their place too. Canada seems to have a good development scheme providing plenty of strengh in depth.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 22:27

Thanks for spotting the info, Womenrugbyru : )
Of course I hope it's a light injury for Farella and for all her companions

Stacey and Farella in holiday together a pair of months ago https://instagram.com/p/6U00PsORZg/

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Tue, 17 Nov 2015, 22:49

Brazil for Dubai:

Amanda Araujo (Niterói)
Beatriz Futuro Muhlbauer (Niterói)
Bianca Santos (São José)
Edna Santini (São José)
Haline Leme Scratut (Curitiba)
Isadora Cerullo (Niterói)
Juliana Esteves dos Santos (São Paulo Saracens Bandeirantes)
Juliana Menezes (Charrua)
Luiza Gonzalez da Costa Campos (Charrua)
Maíra Bravo (SPAC)
Mariana Ramalho (SPAC)
Raquel Kochhann (Charrua)

Main absense is Paula Ishibashi. The big and powerful Karina Godoi is out of the national team due to health treatment and with no time to return.
Bianca Santos is a shining new star, very young (just 17 years old), coming from very poor background. She started in a rugby social project in the second biggest São Paulo favela.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 18 Nov 2015, 03:49

womenrugbyru wrote:
Canalina wrote:

Don't know..

While Canada will take a strong side to Dubai, they have also been hampered by injuries as Ashley Steacy, Hannah Darling, Natasha Watcham-Roy, Bianca Farella, Sara Kaljuvee, Elissa Alarie and Nadia Popov will all miss the tournament. Between them, they have 49 appearances on the Sevens Series.
http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens ... ews/123786

Thanks womenrugbyru! :thumbup:

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Tue, 24 Nov 2015, 05:34

USA for Dubai 7s http://usarugby.org/womens-sevens-news/ ... r-in-dubai

Nia Williams gets her first 7s cap while Jillion Potter makes a return just over a year after successfully fighting cancer.

1. Kathryn Johnson
2. Kristen Thomas
3. Jillion Potter (C)
4. Alev Kelter
5. Jane Paar
6. Nia Williams*
7. Lauren Doyle
8. Kate Zackary
9. Kelly Griffin
10. Megan Bonny
11. Richelle Stephens
12. Jessica Javelet

*new cap

Jules McCoy - Head Coach
Nicole Titmas - Athletic Trainer, Certified
JoAnne Kos - Team Manager
Dr. Lisa Bartoli - Doctor
Jared Siegmund - Strength and Conditioning Coach
Last edited by ugrugbychiclet on Thu, 26 Nov 2015, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 26 Nov 2015, 06:10

Australian team for Dubai 7s http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticl ... Dubai.aspx

Tiana Penitani (knee), Brooke Walker (leg) and Mahalia Murphy (toe) were not considered due to injury.

1. Shannon Parry. Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
2. Sharni Williams. Place of Birth: Batlow, NSW. Hometown: Canberra, ACT
3. Nicole Beck. Place of Birth: Bulli, NSW
4. Gemma Etheridge. Place of Birth: Tamworth, NSW. Hometown: Toowoomba, QLD
5. Emma Tonegato. Place of Birth: Wollongong, NSW
6. Evania Pelite. Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
7. Charlotte Caslick. Place of Birth: Brisbane, QLD
8. Chloe Dalton. Place of Birth: Singapore. Hometown: Mona Vale, NSW
9. Amy Turner. Place of Birth: Tokoroa, NZ
10. Alicia Quirk. Place of Birth: Wagga Wagga, NSW
11. Emilee Cherry. Place of Birth: Roma, QLD. Hometown: Toowoomba, QLD
12. Ellia Green. Place of Birth: Suva, Fiji. Hometown: Melbourne, VIC
Last edited by ugrugbychiclet on Thu, 26 Nov 2015, 06:14, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 26 Nov 2015, 06:14

New Zealand team for Dubai 7s http://www.allblacks.com/News/28530/nz- ... r-in-dubai

Niall Williams (Sonny Bill Williams' sister) gets her first 7s cap while Charlotte Scanlan (shoulder), Kayla McAlister (foot), Stacey Waaka (shoulder), Lesley Ketu (ankle), Alexis Tapsell (neck), Selica Winiata (back) were unavailable through injury.

Ruby Tui - Canterbury
Hazel Tubic - Counties Manukau
Jordon Webber - Waikato
Sarah Goss (Captain) - Manawatu
Gayle Broughton - Taranaki
Tyla Nathan-Wong - Auckland
Kelly Brazier - Bay of Plenty
Katarina Whata-Simpkins - Wellington
Portia Woodman - Auckland
Niall Williams* - Auckland
Michaela Blyde - Taranaki
Shiray Tane - Waikato

*new cap

The new caps from USA and New Zealand have almost identical names - Nia Williams (USA) and Niall Williams (NZ).

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 26 Nov 2015, 06:27

victorsra wrote:Brazil for Dubai:

Amanda Araujo (Niterói)
Beatriz Futuro Muhlbauer (Niterói)
Bianca Santos (São José)
Edna Santini (São José)
Haline Leme Scratut (Curitiba)
Isadora Cerullo (Niterói)
Juliana Esteves dos Santos (São Paulo Saracens Bandeirantes)
Juliana Menezes (Charrua)
Luiza Gonzalez da Costa Campos (Charrua)
Maíra Bravo (SPAC)
Mariana Ramalho (SPAC)
Raquel Kochhann (Charrua)

Main absense is Paula Ishibashi. The big and powerful Karina Godoi is out of the national team due to health treatment and with no time to return.
Bianca Santos is a shining new star, very young (just 17 years old), coming from very poor background. She started in a rugby social project in the second biggest São Paulo favela.

Oh dear. Losing Ishibashi isn't good for Brazil. She is such a key player. Godoi's physicality will definitely be missed. I googled Bianca Santos and it seemed that she was on exchange in the USA with the Danville Oaks for 6 weeks during the summer http://www.goffrugbyreport.com/news/bra ... anville-7s

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Fri, 27 Nov 2015, 14:24

Fijiana for Dubai 7s http://fijione.tv/two-new-caps-have-for ... -to-dubai/

Jiowana Sauto who starred for Fiji at the 2015 Junior Commonwealth Games in Samoa comes in for the injured Asinate Savu, while Vaiti Coa's high fitness scores bagged her a place on the team despite having transitioned from netball only eight weeks ago.

Ana Maria Roqica, Rusila Nagasau, Litia Naiqato, Viniana Riwai, Rebecca Tavo, Tima Ravisa, Luisa Tisolo, Lavenia Tinai, Tima Tamoi, Talica Vodo, Jiowana Sauto*, Vaiti Coa*.

*New caps

Management

Iliesa Tanivula
Chris Cracknell
Ropate Kauvesi
Jennifer Wainiqolo
Matt Dooly
Last edited by ugrugbychiclet on Sun, 29 Nov 2015, 07:36, edited 2 times in total.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Fri, 27 Nov 2015, 17:54

England for Dubai 7s http://www.englandrugby.com/news/scarra ... ens-dubai/

Emily Scarratt is the new captain.

Claire Allan; Rachael Burford; Heather Fisher; Vicky Fleetwood; Fran Matthews; Katy Mclean; Alice Richardson (vice-capt); Emily Scarratt (capt); Michaela Staniford; Jo Watmore; Kay Wilson; Amy Wilson-Hardy

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sat, 28 Nov 2015, 12:07

Spanish squad as published in FER website

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 29 Nov 2015, 13:20

Ireland for Dubai 7s http://www.irishrugby.ie/ireland/36313.php#.Vlr6hHYrLIU

Ashleigh Baxter (Cooke/Ulster)
Megan Williams (St. Mary's/Leinster)
Sene Naoupu (Galwegians/Connacht)
Claire Keohane (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
Lucy Mulhall (Rathdrum/Leinster) (capt)
Eimear Considine (TID)
Louise Galvin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
Amee-Leigh Crowe (St. Mary's/Munster)
Alison Miller (Portlaoise/Connacht)
Audrey O'Flynn (TID)
Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/Leinster)

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Sun, 29 Nov 2015, 13:37

France for Dubai 7s https://www.ffr.fr/Equipes-de-France/Ru ... pour-Dubai

AMIEL Audrey (Stade Français, FFR)
FOURCADE Laurelin (Bordeaux, FFR)
GRASSINEAU Camille (Bordeaux, FFR)
GUEUCIER Clémence (Bobigny, FFR)
GUIGLION Elodie (FFR)
HORTA Fanny (FFR)
LE DUFF Christelle (Villelongue)
LE PESQ Jade (Rennes, FFR)
LISSAR Laurianne (AS Bayonne, FFR)
MAYANS Marjorie (Blagnac-Sait Orens, FFR)
PELLE Chloé (Lille MRCV, FFR)
TRONCY Jennifer (Montpellier, FFR)

Management
GOURDY Jean-Jacques (Manager)
COURTEIX David (Entraîneur)
LOMBARTEIX Eric (Entraîneur)
BORDES Philippe (Médecin)
DELRIEU Laurent (Kinésithérapeute)
COUDERC Anthony (Préparateur Physique)
IGARZA Germain (Analyste vidéo)

National Flag:
RussiaRussia

Postby womenrugbyru » Sun, 29 Nov 2015, 19:57

Russia's team for Dubai 7s:
Petrova Marina, Khamidova Baizat, Shemchuk Maria, Lushina Daria, Kazakova Ekaterina, Kudinova Nadezhda (captain), Kukina Marina, Mikhaltsova Alena (ex. Bogacheva) Seredina Kristina, Perestyak Maria (ex. Titova), Vorontsova Ekaterina (ex. Kabeeva), Bystrova Arina (debut in the world series).
Baranovskiy Pavel - coach.

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Mon, 30 Nov 2015, 05:33

Have the Khamidova sisters ever played together? In the early days it was always one or the other but never both however Baizat seems to be the regular one now and Navrat seems to have disappeared. Does she still play?

PreviousNext

Return to Women's Rugby