Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

2018 RWC Sevens - San Francisco/San Jose (USA)

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: 2018 RWC Sevens - San Francisco/San Jose (USA)

Postby mcruic » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 12:05

Canalina wrote:Different quarterfinals by Rugby Africa: Tunisia and Madagascar switched positions

Yes, this is because Tunisia-Morocco was 38-5 (not 33-5 as posted by the Tunisian Rugby Federation on their own Facebook page)...

Seems they have got an unusual (stupid) play-off system.

It works out as 1 v 3 and 2 v 4 for the semi-finals - fair enough.

But for 5th-8th place - it's 5 v 6 and 7 v 8 - which means that the 7th place team from the group stage (Senegal) has a better chance than the 6th place team (Zimbabwe) of reaching the consolation final (and took advantage of this - the consolation final will indeed be 5 v 7 from the group stage rather than 5 v 6, which it would have been with a more logical/fair play-off system).

Kenya 47-0 Morocco (QF)
South Africa 43-0 Senegal (QF)
Tunisia 24-7 Zimbabwe (QF)
Uganda 12-5 Madagascar (QF)

Senegal 24-7 Morocco (5-8)
Madagascar 29-7 Zimbabwe (5-8)

Tunisia 7-26 Kenya (SF)
South Africa 27-0 Uganda (SF)

7th: Zimbabwe v Morocco
5th: Madagascar v Senegal
3rd: Tunisia v Uganda
1st: South Africa v Kenya
Last edited by mcruic on Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:
Faroe IslandsFaroe Islands

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 12:57

Kenya beat Tunisia 26 - 7
South Africa 27 - 0 Uganda

So the final is predictably the best two teams: South Africa v Kenya. A SA player was red-carded and so said will be unavailable for the final.

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 13:07

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:Kenya beat Tunisia 26 - 7
South Africa 27 - 0 Uganda

So the final is predictably the best two teams: South Africa v Kenya. A SA player was red-carded and so said will be unavailable for the final.

Yeah, hopefully Kenya wins, but so far, I have seen S.A are good skillwise, while Kenya are good physically. Nadine Roos and Jordan are to watch in the women boks team, while Sinaida Aura and Janet Okello are the ones to watch in the Kenya team.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 13:37

Whatever the "official" final positions show, Zimbabwe should be 6th. They beat Senegal and Morocco, while Senegal's only win was against Morocco. Doesn't make any sense at all that Senegal will finish ahead of Zimbabwe.

As expected, Zimbabwe far too good for Morocco, winning 26-0 - and they will officially finish 7th despite proving throughout the tournament that they should be 6th.
Results, fixtures and (soon, I hope, dammit) rankings for 64 team sports @ http://theroonba.com

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 14:15

I know I should be grateful for the free stream BUT, why do Kwesé ESPN keep changing the URL for it between every round but only post the new one on Facebook AFTER they have done it? I've missed several games because of this. I still can't find if there is a current one for the placings and final.

EDIT - finally a link for the final at https://www.facebook.com/kwesesports/vi ... =3&theater

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 14:41

Kenya leading over South Africa at halftime 12-5.

Both will be in the Commonwealth Games.

National Flag:

Postby Ser Podrick of Payne » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 14:53

A pretty hard fought win for South Africa in the final with the difference being a yellow card against Kenya midway in the 2nd half. Kenya did fight hard though when down to 6 but it was too much to defend a 7 point lead.

South Africa 17 - 12 Kenya

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 17 Sep 2017, 15:12

Ser Podrick of Payne wrote:A pretty hard fought win for South Africa in the final with the difference being a yellow card against Kenya midway in the 2nd half. Kenya did fight hard though when down to 6 but it was too much to defend a 7 point lead.

South Africa 17 - 12 Kenya

Good job by the Kenyan girls, we live to fight another day. Commonwealth games, here we come.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 04:55

I wonder if the South African union will decline their women's place in San Francisco like they did with the Olympics on the grounds that they are unlikely to win.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Mon, 18 Sep 2017, 22:53

NedRugby wrote:I wonder if the South African union will decline their women's place in San Francisco like they did with the Olympics on the grounds that they are unlikely to win.

While SARU statements do seem to have suggest they have a slightly childish "if we are not going to win we are not going to play" attitude to test rugby, it wasn't they that pulled South Africa out of the Olympics. That was the South African NOC, SASCOC, who seem to have the same attitude with bells on (ie. the even more arrogant "qualifying by only beating other African teams is not good enough").

So South Africa will almost certainly be in San Francisco as SASCOC have no say over that. However, SASCOC do decide who goes to the Commonwealth Games so there is no guarantee that they will be in the Gold Coast.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 08:17

So even if SARU had stated we want to play in the Olympics SASCOC can overrule them?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 09:27

Thomas wrote:So even if SARU had stated we want to play in the Olympics SASCOC can overrule them?

Well that's why an organization like the SASCOC is there. It makes absolutely sense, that they have the right to do so. They should normally be in charge of the qualifying norms to fulfil and ultimately decide who goes to the Olympics.
That doesn't change the fact, that their decision was absolutely ridiculous, as they apparently didn't give the Rugby Union a chance to qualify.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 12:44

I understand all that, but South Africa Women did qualify at Kempton Park and fulfilled WR Criteria, what I don't understand is what criteria did SASCOC had for the SA Rugby which was different for WR? and most sports have different qualifying routes.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 18:34

Thomas wrote:I understand all that, but South Africa Women did qualify at Kempton Park and fulfilled WR Criteria, what I don't understand is what criteria did SASCOC had for the SA Rugby which was different for WR? and most sports have different qualifying routes.

SASCOC will not - with some exceptions - accept entries for the Olympics if gained from purely African tournaments. They say that such qualification routes are not testing enough (or words to that effect) - so their teams will not be medal contenders. So even if a team qualifies as far as WR/IOC are concerned by winning a African championship, SASCOC will decline the place. Same applied to other sports, like hockey (and boxing IIRC), but not (I think) football.

The question is whether they apply the same criteria to the Commonwealth Games. It is quite possible that they may do. It is possibly significant that Kenya have made some fuss about qualifying for the Games - as did England and Wales - but I am not sure I have seen anything from South Africa.

It is also worth remembering that SARU agreed to these criteria before 2016.

But this only applies to multi-sport Games (Olympics, Commonwealth Games) - NOT World Cups (7s or 15s). SASCOC have not say over them and the SARU can do what it likes. And it seems clear that the SARU will send their 7s team to San Francisco, even if they declined to enter their 15s for the 15s World Cup (they would have had to beat Hong Kong to qualify, and frankly you think they would have done if they had taken the risk).
Last edited by johnbirch on Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Tue, 19 Sep 2017, 18:58

RugbyLiebe wrote:
Thomas wrote:So even if SARU had stated we want to play in the Olympics SASCOC can overrule them?

Well that's why an organization like the SASCOC is there. It makes absolutely sense, that they have the right to do so. They should normally be in charge of the qualifying norms to fulfil and ultimately decide who goes to the Olympics.
That doesn't change the fact, that their decision was absolutely ridiculous, as they apparently didn't give the Rugby Union a chance to qualify.

Absolutely. Merely because a team/athlete reaches an Olympic qualifying standard does not mean they go to the Games. Their NOC (not the sport governing body) has to select them.

There can be cost implications - there is an argument for not sending uncompetitive teams/athletes if your NOC lacks the budget to do so (I don't think this an argument that applies to RSA).

In some Games there are also other restrictions. For Youth CG and Youth Olympics a country can only enter a team in one team sport, even if they qualify for more than one. IIRC South Africa "qualified" for the 2014 Youth Olympics, but SASCOC sent their hockey team instead.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 12:48

johnbirch wrote:Their NOC (not the sport governing body) has to select them.

In 2006 in Germany the NOC and the Sports federation merged to safe costs. This seems also to be the case in South Africa as SACOC stands for South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby johnbirch » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 19:15

RugbyLiebe wrote:
johnbirch wrote:Their NOC (not the sport governing body) has to select them.

In 2006 in Germany the NOC and the Sports federation merged to safe costs. This seems also to be the case in South Africa as SACOC stands for South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee.

I meant the governing body for the individual sport (ie RFU) not the government's sports federation (ie Sport England) or the NOC (ie British Olympic Association/Commonwealth Games England). Agreed that in many countries the latter two are the same thing.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 20 Sep 2017, 21:23

Kazakhstan is one of the eight teams playing this weekend in the first stage of the asian championship, qualifying to the 7s world cup.
It's their return in the international panorama after the suspension, I think

https://www.macoocoo.com/index.php?r=gr ... =1138&cid=

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 09:06

Canalina wrote:I cheer on Uganda, but I suppose that South Africa is still the big favorite

Thank you Canalina 8-) Uganda had a very young team (average age 21) and 5 rookies this time round so finishing higher than 3rd would have been a miracle of sorts :D Fourth place was a good result as the team builds for the future. SA were the favourites but prior to the tournament I honestly thought that this year Kenya would win it. I thought the same last year too. On both occasions they were leading then lost in the last minute of the game.
For some reason they cannot seem to break SA. Maybe next year they will get third time lucky though the core of their team (about 5 or 6 players who have played for Kenya since 2006/2007) are aging and time is running out for them. SA is always more composed in the final minutes of the game. They were missing about 4 key players (2 prior to the tournament and 2 in the final) this time round - I hope they'll have all their players in good shape for the RWC. SA do not seem to be talking much about the Commonwealth Games though? Is it that the world cup is a bigger prize or they have already been informed that they are not going for the CWG?

EDIT: It looks like SA will go. SASOC relaxed their qualification criteria - teams just need to be ranked within the top 10 in the Commonwealth. The Lady Blitzbokke meet that standard so it is safe to say that they will be on their way to Australia. Common sense rules at last. https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/sport ... lth-games/

Canalina wrote: One red card for an ugandan player against Morocco. It's quite unusual in 7s; a dangerous tackle, probably
It was an unlucky incident. Loose ball on the ground - Ugandan player went to kick it as Moroccan player went to pick it up. Ugandan foot connected with Moroccan head. Red card offence although citing commissioner deemed it accidental so no further action was taken apart from the player being suspended for one match. The unfortunate thing though was that the wrong Ugandan player was given a red card - mistaken identity.

mcruic wrote:Whatever the "official" final positions show, Zimbabwe should be 6th. They beat Senegal and Morocco, while Senegal's only win was against Morocco. Doesn't make any sense at all that Senegal will finish ahead of Zimbabwe. As expected, Zimbabwe far too good for Morocco, winning 26-0 - and they will officially finish 7th despite proving throughout the tournament that they should be 6th.
I totally agree. I didn't understand that format for the 5th - 8th playoff. Zimbabwe should have ended up in 6th place.

`

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 21 Sep 2017, 18:34

Thank you to you, Ugrugbychicklet, your comments from inside are very precious and the ugandan women team is one of the favorites of the whole forum, I think
Your fourth place was an excellent outcome. I'm not a big fan of the 7s World Cup (it seems to me somehow a double of the Olympic tournament and someotherhow a double of the World series) but it's nice to follow all the continental qualifying tournaments. This is a big table with all the placements in the previous world cups, compiled by me but taken from wikipedia. Of the almost-big nations, just Belgium and Germany seem have never conquered a ticket for the final tournament

National Flag:

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Sat, 23 Sep 2017, 03:42

Kazakhstan leading Thailand 17-0 at halftime. I wonder if they'll also take part in Sri Lanka, or is it just a Korea-only deal...

EDIT: And they cap their first match with a 31-5 showing.

National Flag:

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Sun, 24 Sep 2017, 19:01

And now the standings for the Korea Women's tournament:

#1: Japan (12 points)
#2: China (10)
#3: Kazakhstan (8)
#4: Hong Kong (7)
#5: Sri Lanka (5)
#6: Thailand (4)
#7: Singapore (2)
#8: Korea (1)

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 10:21

The 16 qualified teams and their current place in the XV World ranking

New Zealand 1
 England 2
 France 3
 Canada 4
 United States 5
 Australia 6
 Ireland 9
 Spain 10
 South Africa 13
 Japan 16
Russia 19
China 24
 Fiji 30
Papua N.Guinea 42
Brasil 46

Mexico np

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby sjbret » Mon, 27 Nov 2017, 14:05

Canalina wrote:The 16 qualified teams and their current place in the XV World ranking

And in unofficial 7's rankings

1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. Canada
4. Fiji
5. Russia
6. France
7. USA
8. Ireland
9. England
10. Brasil
11. Spain