Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby Tobar » Sat, 19 Jan 2019, 17:35

Article here for reference: https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota/pi ... 9118221218

It's in Spanish but there's translation services on Chrome.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 08:04

So, considering the Olympic Qualifying, also the nations not involved in the Series (like Italy :roll: ) may cheer for their continental fellows. More nations of your same continent will qualify directly, more easy your road in the continental qualifying will be

Standing after two tournaments out of ten is...

1 USA (North America) 38
2 New Zealand (Oceania) 37
3 Fiji (Oceania) 35
4 England (Europe) 30
- - - -
5 South Africa (Africa) 29
6 Australia (Oceania) 25
7 Scotland (Europe) 20
8 Argentina (South America) 18
9 Spain (Europe) 17
10 Samoa (Oceania) 15
11 France (Europe) 12
12 Canada (North America) 10
13 Wales (Europe) 5
14 Kenya (Africa) 4
15 Japan (Asia) 3
16 Zimbabwe (Africa) 2

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 09:34

There are 15 core teams which contest 4 OLY spots this way
Hence, Zimbabwe (Africa) is out of equation

It's pity that https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series
table never draws a line between core and invited teams =
their admin | tab-maker is just a slouch!

:::

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 12:09

A doubt: at the Olympics, the Ulster players play with Ireland or with Great Britain?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 12:15

Canalina wrote:A doubt: at the Olympics, the Ulster players play with Ireland or with Great Britain?

Some might be able to actually chose, if they've got both passports. But a good question how the eligibility would be applied for Northern Irish players who are captured by Ireland. The easiest way would be that they need to use the Olympic loophole to play for GB, but you never know with rugby :D
Maybe dropkick knows more.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby Graf_von_Tirol » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 12:59

FLIDTA RISXVA wrote:There are 15 core teams which contest 4 OLY spots this way
Hence, Zimbabwe (Africa) is out of equation

It's pity that https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series
table never draws a line between core and invited teams =
their admin | tab-maker is just a slouch!

To be technical, it's 12 core teams contesting the Olympic spots. Japan's already in by virtue of hosting the games, and England's the sole Great Britain qualification representative out of the Home Nations by mutual agreement, so neither Scotland's nor Wales' placements get factored in.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 13:30

But what if Scotland or Wales finishes the Series inside the Top4 and England doesn't? GB would be qualified anyway, right?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 13:49

Imo only if Wales is 4th and England 5th. Because if not... it would be completely useless
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 15:16

England is the only team that counts. Wales and Scotland don't matter at all for the Olympic qualification process

"As with the Olympics at Rio 2016, England is the nominated nation to qualify Team GB for the games."
Source: https://www.englandrugby.com/news/seven ... -for-2020/
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Postby FLIDTA RISXVA » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 15:50

COLONIALISM at its ugly best :!:

Then why WAL and SCO field teams and occupy precious core spots :?:
To diminish others' chances?

If they are useless then
oblige ALL THREE to field united GB team in any 7s comp :!:

In general why they still EXIST in 21st century as separate Unions:?:

Waiting UK to crumble in remote future :?:

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 16:07

Tradition. International rugby was born out of British nations and its best known tournament did too. Just as it happens with football. And 7s was created in Scotland.

It would be better for us, from the outside, to see them merge, but unless they decide so for their best interest it still makes sense. The intermediate solution is to do what field hockey does with its World League, but who knows...

National Flag:
ChileChile

Postby Amargo » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 00:06

I think is a better solution than the best count.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 07:53

Amargo wrote:I think is a better solution than the best count.

I disagree. If the Olympics are on the line and Wales/Scotland play England there will at least be a doubt if they give everything to win.
The easiest solution would be that only the best national team can represent GB (without players from the other teams). I understand why they won't do it, but this and generally playing in 7s as GB, would be the only two 100% fair solutions.

National Flag:
NetherlandsNetherlands

Postby NedRugby » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 18:14

RugbyLiebe wrote:
If the Olympics are on the line and Wales/Scotland play England there will at least be a doubt if they give everything to win.

There is no scenario where Wales or Scotland would not try their utmost to beat England, Olympic qualifiacation or not.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Grayday88 » Thu, 24 Jan 2019, 19:16

Canalina wrote:A doubt: at the Olympics, the Ulster players play with Ireland or with Great Britain?

Northern Irish athketes can represent either GB or Ireland. I would imagine that rugby 7s would be similar to hockey whereby if you play 7s for Ireland you must represent Ireland at the Olympics

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 01:54

RugbyLiebe wrote:England is the only team that counts. Wales and Scotland don't matter at all for the Olympic qualification process

"As with the Olympics at Rio 2016, England is the nominated nation to qualify Team GB for the games."
Source: https://www.englandrugby.com/news/seven ... -for-2020/

But I am pretty sure that for 2016 Wales and Scotland counted... England was the best, but I believe GB had 3 options that time...

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 01:58

RugbyLiebe wrote:

I disagree. If the Olympics are on the line and Wales/Scotland play England there will at least be a doubt if they give everything to win.
The easiest solution would be that only the best national team can represent GB (without players from the other teams). I understand why they won't do it, but this and generally playing in 7s as GB, would be the only two 100% fair solutions.

Same discussion existed about Spain in football and melted with the 2010 world title, full of Barcelona players. The players are professionals, no one is insane to go to the national team to make it lose. Come on.

The best thing is GB to replace Scotland, Wales and England in the World Series indeed. Welsh and Scottish unions would have better things (like PRO14 teams) to invest this money. And Welsh and Scottish sevens national team would be formed for the Commonwealth Games every 4 years anyway.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 08:39

To be honest I never heard of any discussion about that in Spain, at that time at least. The biggest conspiracy theories regarding football national team revolve around Arconada's mistake at 1984 Euro final, Zubizarreta's mistake at 1998 World Cup pool stages, Cañizares missing 2002 World Cup and Piqué's childish mistakes in last World Cup.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 09:51

NedRugby wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:
If the Olympics are on the line and Wales/Scotland play England there will at least be a doubt if they give everything to win.

There is no scenario where Wales or Scotland would not try their utmost to beat England, Olympic qualifiacation or not.

There are plenty of scenarios for that. Quarter final in the very last World Series tournament 2019 ENG-WAL. England needs to finish in the top4, It doesn't matter for Wales. Do you really think the best Welsh players wouldn't have been already told that they might get a chance at the Olympics if GB qualifies?
I am not saying they are not fair sportsmen, but it will always be a bit fishy. This is also 7s. Only a few of them will make it to become a pro in 15s afterwards, especially in those countries. The Olympics is the absolute pinnacle of 7s.

victorsra wrote:Same discussion existed about Spain in football and melted with the 2010 world title, full of Barcelona players. The players are professionals, no one is insane to go to the national team to make it lose. Come on.

Totally different thing. A FC Barcelona vs. Real Madrid game never decided if Spain would make it to a World Cup/ Euro. Here a game England vs. Wales decides that Welsh players might become Olympians if they lose (/or not if they win for that matter). They dilemna is, that they play for their "nation" but there is a real nation above they can represent.

I don't understand why World Rugby just stops it and force a GB team to play on the world series. I mean what does 7s really do in Scotland and Wales? One of the easiest things to grow rugby worldwide wasted because of "tradition" again. A compromise would be that Wales, Scotland and England could still play in the Euro GPS Series if they want to.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 12:18

No man, England vs Wales woudn't decide anything. The GB team must be mixed with players from the 3 countries, like in 2016. That's the point.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby mulu » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 15:37

victorsra wrote:No man, England vs Wales woudn't decide anything. The GB team must be mixed with players from the 3 countries, like in 2016. That's the point.

RugbyLiebe is 100% spot on and an England v Wales/Scotland game can of course decide whether England will make the Top 4 or not.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 16:22

Dudes, we are saying different things...

I am saying that England, Wales and Scotland teams should be replaced by an unified GB team in the World Series.

You are talking about who would qualify GB, if England, Wales or Scotland.

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 20:10

Looking at the US roster for Hamilton and I just have a foreboding feeling.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 21:05

victorsra wrote: England, Wales and Scotland teams should be replaced by an unified GB team in the World Series.

I disagree. Rugby sevens was born in Scotland. They have their own identity, same as Wales.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 25 Jan 2019, 21:47

Scotland had even cut its team from playing the European Grand Prix. Big waste of money, few people care about it. It would be much better to have 2 more emerging nations like Russia, Germany, Chile... or in fact 1 more, because Ireland will probably be promoted soon. It is the Olympics that boost sevens worldwide and England, Wales and Scotland are not Olympic nations...

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum