Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Italy's Six Nations to raise the Georgia question again?

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Re: Italy's Six Nations to raise the Georgia question again?

Postby amz » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 13:13

We don't know why the entrance is free.

In 2017 a ticket to Romania - Georgia was approaching EUR 30 in main stands and the stadium was packed. If they think this will brighten up the supporters after the failed 2018, they are mistaken.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 13:23

Yes and I’m not criticizing the countries either considering the fact that US games routinely get like 500 fans despite our recent success. The sport just isn’t popular enough yet so I don’t really blame the 6N for not wanting these countries in yet.

There definitely have to be more matches, especially against Georgia who deserves it. They’ve only played like 2 or 3 Tier 1 tests in the past few years yet the US gets Ireland coming over every single year.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 13:26

What can be done to boost attendance in Romania? Georgia is well attended, Spain usually has a decent level of support each game, even Russia has improved in the last 12 months.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 13:31

thatrugbyguy wrote:What can be done to boost attendance in Romania? Georgia is well attended, Spain usually has a decent level of support each game, even Russia has improved in the last 12 months.

Increase grass roots interest in the sport, get more kids going to the games, create a more interactive experience, partner with local organizations to bring new fans into the sport, allow clubs to sell tickets to friends/family for a cut of the profits. Any test match should have cheap/free tickets for kids and plenty of fun things for them to do before the game - give them a ball, get them to pass/kick it and then they’ll have more fun watching the game afterwards.

I don’t know the state of Romanian rugby so they may be doing some or all of these things already. But this is my general belief when it comes to growing interest in test matches for any tier 2 country.

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby honestly_united » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 13:43

From the articles in the BBC over the weekend regarding the possibility of relegating Italy, one of the reasons giving was that you cant relegate someone if there is nowhere to relegate them too.

We all now fine and well the REC is where they would be relegated too, and ideally the champions promoted. However if the 6N's committees dont see the REC as a high enough quality competition (and them being completely blinkered to everything outside the 6N's) then that is an issue. No amount of campaigning from outside is going to change the view of those on the inside that the REC is of a high enough standard. Why? Because a) none of the REC teams have (recently anyway on Romania's part) beaten any of the teams in the 6N's and b) no one on the 6N's committee's or the journalists asking the questions will have watched any games from the REC.

World Cups aside, the REC teams dont get a chance to play, never mind be in an opportunity that beat any of the 6N's teams so the best way to get the message out would be to get REC games on TV in the 6N's countries. Even if it just started with a 30 minutes highlight program on Eurosport all over Europe, it starts to get the competition noticed. At the moment, the majority of rugby fans in the UK dont even know the REC exists. Once you win over the minds of the average rugby fan that the competition exists, its a good standard and your not relegating teams into an abyss, they will then start putting pressure internally for expansion.

I would love to be in the position where you could sit in the pub and have a weekend of Rugby to watch along the lines of the following

Friday evening

Spain vs Romania

Saturday

1pm Wales vs Scotland

3pm Russia vs Georgia

5pm France vs Italy

Sunday

2pm Belgium vs Germany

4pm England vs Ireland

Once the REC is stuck in the consciousness relegation doesn't seem as bad - in fact I can imagine a lot of hte average rugby fan being excited about the chance of watching games in Madrid and Brussels. In fact the only reason I am ever jealous of my friends that are football fans is they get to watch games in every European country. I have friends that have been to Georgia, Croatia, Slovenia, Estonia, Cyprus etc watching Scotland, I would love to be able to do similar with the Rugby.

Its disappointing how little the REC features in media in the UK, its fair to say that I've seen more articles on MLR than I have on REC. Its the one thing that i think needs addressed by the REC.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 13:49

That is a big thing that needs to change. Part of the problem is the REC isn't run like a professional competition. It needs to make headlines in mainland Europe. It needs investors, it need people in charge who want to make it be something better than what it currently is. It lacks all of that. The ARC gets more coverage and it's only been in existence for 4 years. It's not seen as a competitor to the 6N. The REC needs to get to the point where it's making headlines, where it's drawing regular crowds of 20,000, where it forces its way into the rugby conversation.

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby Figaro » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 14:47

They don't even publish the scores for the REC on 6N national news sites like the BBC (despite them publishing every last European football friendly, even between micronations like San Marino and Liechtenstein). That'd be a start.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 14:49

It's surprising that Romania v Georgia, match clou of the whole REC, has free entry
I'm not criticizing the organizers, probably it's the right choice, but it's surely also a sign of weakness by the tournament.
One of the reason why 6N is so few interested on including the rest of the Continent is right this: REC seems lightyears away from the 6N level in terms of popularity and, therefore, money revenue. In 6N, tickets go from 20 to 150 € and the stadia are sold out (apart in Italy); in REC you have to open the doors freely to have a good crowd for the biggest match.
It's not a critic, just a state of fact

We had this discussion in Brazil too. If it would be better to give away tickets for free.

The conclusion was that it is better to sell them very cheap than giving them for free. Something psycological that people see that if it is free some problem it has... better to sell the idea you are getting a nice sale :lol:
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby nawoo » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 17:01

Figaro wrote:They don't even publish the scores for the REC on 6N national news sites like the BBC (despite them publishing every last European football friendly, even between micronations like San Marino and Liechtenstein). That'd be a start.

That's true

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 17:03

Figaro wrote:They don't even publish the scores for the REC on 6N national news sites like the BBC (despite them publishing every last European football friendly, even between micronations like San Marino and Liechtenstein). That'd be a start.

Let's remember last year they showed on TV the score of Germany v Brazil test match and one of the commentators argues they had mistakenly introduced a football result. Ignorance pays its toll too.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 19:57

So the BBC don't source those themselves, they are given to them by either UEFA or a news agency like Reuters who are a trusted source. World Rugby could do that role. I'd bet if they did the BBC would publish them.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby BigG » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 21:45

Bookmakers? Odds?

There are odds for Women's and U20 six nations. No odds for REC. That is also a sign that there is no interest to REC.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 22:08

sk 88 wrote:

So the BBC don't source those themselves, they are given to them by either UEFA or a news agency like Reuters who are a trusted source. World Rugby could do that role. I'd bet if they did the BBC would publish them.

Definitly World Rugby should do that role. But of course Rugby Europe too (and look at their website to see how shameful that is).

News websites and TV channels are with less journalists nowadays. Well done press releses with good PR work should produce awareness results. A good relation with rugby media would start this. It is bizarre you cant put news in a website like Planet Rugby. Pretty sure if they receive it and WR/RE do a follow up things advance.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 03:20

100% agree. REC needs to be a legitimate competition before 6N ever even thinks of considering relegation. If REC can somehow manage to get up to a high quality level of entertainment and profitability then the idea of moving down may not be so horrible. Of course, we’re a looooong way off from that happening.

If there was relegation I would personally love to see a best of 3 tournament against the lowest ranked 6N team and the highest ranked REC. If the 6N team loses then we at least know the promotion was deserved. If they win then we at least get an exciting series that means something (and let’s face it, Italian rugby needs that). I don’t really like the idea of automatic promotion/relegation because there can still be a huge gap between the two so a best of three is the best solution.

National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Postby RugbyPUBtbilisi » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 06:25

Common Rugby Europe doesnt have enough balls to start up rebranding.

99% of RE stuff are bloody amateurs who dont even watch rugby.

It need huge reforms, kicking out current management, and fresh start

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Tue, 05 Feb 2019, 07:34

Armchair Fan wrote:

Let's remember last year they showed on TV the score of Germany v Brazil test match and one of the commentators argues they had mistakenly introduced a football result. Ignorance pays its toll too.

This also came to my mind again. Question is how you can change that snobbish approach of rugby journalists.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Previous

Return to Rugby Forum