Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Re: Western Force potentially looking for an Asian League

Postby Grayday88 » Mon, 04 Feb 2019, 16:23

IanCleverly wrote:
Grayday88 wrote:Have there been any further updates as to what teams will be playing in this league next year?

Quite a big one today

A host of Pacific rugby players face an uncertain future after the Global Rapid Rugby competition cancelled its inaugural season, less than two months before the proposed start date. The brainchild of billionaire Western Force owner Andrew Forrest, eight teams from Australia, Asia and the Pacific Islands were originally on board to contest a four-month season in 2019, including entries representing Fiji and Samoa. Pacific Rugby Players CEO Aayden Clarke said that number had dropped to six, after two teams pulled out.

He was in contact with Global Rapid Rugby officials only a few days ago, to discuss player welfare issues for the impending campaign, but said yesterday it was revealed the competition would not go ahead at all. "We are disappointed because so much has been promised by GRR, but they have failed to deliver, The big losers in this are the players who have made commitments to their team and GRR, they have given up work, made family decisions and passed up other contract opportunities, but are now left high and dry. There are 30 contracted players in Singapore who have been training since January specifically for this competition, there are many players in Fiji and Samoa who made commitments to this. So what happens to them now?"

I’m sad to hear this but not surprised I hope that this is nothing more than a delay but you have to worry about the competitions future

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 15:40

I think Twiggy tried expanding this league too....rapidly. Heh.

But really they should’ve just added a few teams and allowed for derbies with the other Australian teams. So instead of expanding to a full season they would have home and away for 3 or 4 teams (Force, Fiji, Japan, NSW team). Then the Force and NSW team can also have some exhibition derby matches against the other Australian Super Rugby teams. The SR matches last year were the best attended and probably a fun match to play against Wallabies players.

So the season length would be 6 games for the GRR teams and then an additional 4 for the Super Rugby matches. The Japanese team could even play against the Sunwolves if possible. I think that makes for a solid competition for the first couple of years.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Feb 2019, 17:09

He tried to do things from day to night (like USA's PRO) to show Rugby Australia and SANZAAR they do everything wrong. He clearly had not much idea about Asian Rugby and tried an agressive approach change the rugby laws even before he had teams and a competition. He did everything wrong too. Big mess. I really believe nothing was really well studied...
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 03:29

Showcase series schedule is up. https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e240c958a ... _FINAL.pdf.

Confirmantion that both a Fijian and Samoan team will feature in the Pacific leg of it the series and apparently talks with the Western Sydney group have stalled and Newcastle (a large regional city about 2 hours north of Sydney) are currently talking about entry. The region the city is located has around 650k people living there are effectively butts up against the Central Coast with around 400k and Lake Macquaire regions with 200k. So it's probably a responsible location if the WS team falls through.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 03:32

Tobar wrote:I think Twiggy tried expanding this league too....rapidly. Heh.

But really they should’ve just added a few teams and allowed for derbies with the other Australian teams. So instead of expanding to a full season they would have home and away for 3 or 4 teams (Force, Fiji, Japan, NSW team). Then the Force and NSW team can also have some exhibition derby matches against the other Australian Super Rugby teams. The SR matches last year were the best attended and probably a fun match to play against Wallabies players.

So the season length would be 6 games for the GRR teams and then an additional 4 for the Super Rugby matches. The Japanese team could even play against the Sunwolves if possible. I think that makes for a solid competition for the first couple of years.

I think he underestimated the logistics of pulling such a venture together in such a short time frame. But apparently they'll launch next year with the teams featuring in the Showcase series. A East Coast team (I'd be open to two if I'm honest) and at least one Japanese team.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 04:07

I don't have an issue with Newcastle getting a team but it pisses me off Western Sydney is continuously screwed over.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Fri, 01 Mar 2019, 04:35

thatrugbyguy wrote:I don't have an issue with Newcastle getting a team but it pisses me off Western Sydney is continuously screwed over.

I want a WS team for purely selfish reasons. If the scheduling could be worked out they could host home games while the Tahs played away and vice versa. That would mean I would always have a home team to support.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 13:29

Working Class Rugger wrote:Showcase series schedule is up. https://gallery.mailchimp.com/e240c958a ... _FINAL.pdf.

Confirmantion that both a Fijian and Samoan team will feature in the Pacific leg of it the series and apparently talks with the Western Sydney group have stalled and Newcastle (a large regional city about 2 hours north of Sydney) are currently talking about entry. The region the city is located has around 650k people living there are effectively butts up against the Central Coast with around 400k and Lake Macquaire regions with 200k. So it's probably a responsible location if the WS team falls through.

Good, glad to see that something is still happening. This schedule is a step up from last year’s since all the games were hosted in Perth. Now this creates games in potential markets to gauge interest for a full league - Hong Kong, Singapore, Fiji, Samoa - and still highlights the Force as the marquee team. Though Samoa isn’t actually hosting any matches because of construction on their stadium but they’re putting the games in cities with high Samoan populations. Should be fun for those who are essentially watching a Samoan representative side.

Hope this season kicks off nicely and gets a decent attendance.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Tue, 05 Mar 2019, 14:11

Tom Varndell and Samisoni Viriviri to join South China Tigers

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 22:43

Sireli Bobo in the Asia-Pacific Dragons squad at age 43! Older than the assistant coach Hale T-Pole.

http://www.asierugby.net/asia-pacific-dragons.php#1123

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Rugga » Sun, 24 Mar 2019, 00:07

It would be good to see a Asia Pacific League with teams from cities and countries like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, HawaiiTokyo, Bangkok Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Manila, Jakarta Papua New Guinea Korea and Fiji.

Then a separate Australian one that’s city based like big bash league. It would be a small league with less then 10 teams. But it could have a representative games like Queensland vs NSW after the regular season.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 24 Mar 2019, 01:17

Rugga wrote:It would be good to see a Asia Pacific League with teams from cities and countries like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, HawaiiTokyo, Bangkok Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Manila, Jakarta Papua New Guinea Korea and Fiji.

Then a separate Australian one that’s city based like big bash league. It would be a small league with less then 10 teams. But it could have a representative games like Queensland vs NSW after the regular season.

Honestly, if the numbers work out I would rather see the Aus teams make the jump across to the new league mentioned in the article. A league featuring the 5 Aus teams, Fiji, Samoa, Hong Kong, Japan x 2/3, Singapore and Malaysia to start would be a good start. Time zone friendly is where we need to be looking to in the future.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 24 Mar 2019, 01:38

Rugga wrote:It would be good to see a Asia Pacific League with teams from cities and countries like Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, HawaiiTokyo, Bangkok Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Manila, Jakarta Papua New Guinea Korea and Fiji.

I actually have a different setup that I think could be interesting. Phased competition featuring 14 teams in two divisions. In the 1st phase, the 5 Aus teams plus Fiji and Samoa in the Pacific playing home and away for 14 games. And a 7 team Asian division featuring 3x Japan, Hong Kong, KL, Singapore plus 1 more. Again in division for 14 games. Then each team play against the corresponding division team for an additional seven games in the 2nd phase. Total 19 games each. Top 6 finals series determined via the use of a combined table throughout.

Open recruitment of players with the goal of competitiveness first and foremost. For the likes of Bangkok, Taiwan, the Philippines etc. A 2nd division could be set up with pro/rel the eventual goal assuming the money can be found. While there would still be a slab of travel the reduction of the need to traverse time zones negates much of the usual issues such as jet lag for teams. Very much the same as the Pro14.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Rugga » Sun, 24 Mar 2019, 11:35

Working Class Rugger wrote:

I actually have a different setup that I think could be interesting. Phased competition featuring 14 teams in two divisions. In the 1st phase, the 5 Aus teams plus Fiji and Samoa in the Pacific playing home and away for 14 games. And a 7 team Asian division featuring 3x Japan, Hong Kong, KL, Singapore plus 1 more. Again in division for 14 games. Then each team play against the corresponding division team for an additional seven games in the 2nd phase. Total 19 games each. Top 6 finals series determined via the use of a combined table throughout.

Who would be your 5 Australia teams. Two Sydney clubs and one in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne?

Open recruitment of players with the goal of competitiveness first and foremost. For the likes of Bangkok, Taiwan, the Philippines etc. A 2nd division could be set up with pro/rel the eventual goal assuming the money can be found. While there would still be a slab of travel the reduction of the need to traverse time zones negates much of the usual issues such as jet lag for teams. Very much the same as the Pro14.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sun, 24 Mar 2019, 21:47

Rugga wrote:

Who would be your 5 Australia teams. Two Sydney clubs and one in Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne?

The 5 that already exist. Tahs, Brumbies, Rebels, Reds and Force.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 16:49

I saw a news item last night which confirmed a Samoan Team in the comp which is called Kagifa Samoa, they are being bankrolled by an Hawaiian investor, who tried unsuccessfully to buy the NZ Warriors league team last year. He seemed confident of the financial ability of the team to stay afloat, I hope he's had experience with managing money in the Islands and the corrupt PM/SRU president.... :roll:

Apia Park is also being upgraded as such the team will play it's home matches in Pukukohe, South Auckland, with the potential for some matches to be played their in future. The NZRU has given its blessing for the team to source fringe Super Rugby players, and the team has already held training camps to find new players in Auckland.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 05 Apr 2019, 17:00

nick511 wrote:I saw a news item last night which confirmed a Samoan Team in the comp which is called Kagifa Samoa, they are being bankrolled by an Hawaiian investor, who tried unsuccessfully to buy the NZ Warriors league team last year. He seemed confident of the financial ability of the team to stay afloat, I hope he's had experience with managing money in the Islands and the corrupt PM/SRU president.... :roll:

Apia Park is also being upgraded as such the team will play it's home matches in Pukukohe, South Auckland, with the potential for some matches to be played their in future. The NZRU has given its blessing for the team to source fringe Super Rugby players, and the team has already held training camps to find new players in Auckland.

I reckon a "Samoan" identity team would be more successful in Auckland than Apia in any case.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 00:17

sk 88 wrote:
nick511 wrote:I saw a news item last night which confirmed a Samoan Team in the comp which is called Kagifa Samoa, they are being bankrolled by an Hawaiian investor, who tried unsuccessfully to buy the NZ Warriors league team last year. He seemed confident of the financial ability of the team to stay afloat, I hope he's had experience with managing money in the Islands and the corrupt PM/SRU president.... :roll:

I reckon a "Samoan" identity team would be more successful in Auckland than Apia in any case.

Same for a Tongan team. Any Islands based team was always going to need to be based in either NZ or Aus as the infrastructure to maintain these kinds of ventures simply doesn't exist on the Islands with the exception of Fiji. And then in it's case only just. It also allows Richard Fale (who's the Hawaiian investor) to avoid the 'business' that goes on as well. There are around 130k people of Samoan heritage in NZ. That should be enough.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 00:42

Islander team would do well out of the new West Sydney stadium that's about to open.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 06 Apr 2019, 03:05

thatrugbyguy wrote:Islander team would do well out of the new West Sydney stadium that's about to open.

It would actually. A good central facility for the PI communities in the western half of the city. Looks like there won't be a bad seat in the house from the photos I've seen. Great looking stadium.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 16:00

thatrugbyguy wrote:Islander team would do well out of the new West Sydney stadium that's about to open.

It would actually. A good central facility for the PI communities in the western half of the city. Looks like there won't be a bad seat in the house from the photos I've seen. Great looking stadium.

Forgive my ignorance but what was there before? Google says Parramatta was taken down 3 years ago, where have the Tahs been playing?

National Flag:

Postby TheStroBro » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 19:59

Uh...that truly defeats the whole purpose of the idea. Not that it was ever going to get off the ground.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Tue, 09 Apr 2019, 21:54

Tobar wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but what was there before? Google says Parramatta was taken down 3 years ago, where have the Tahs been playing?

Parramatta Stadium.

The Warratahs play(ed) at the Sydney Football Stadium, which is being demolished at the moment and rebuilt.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 00:43

TheStroBro wrote:

Uh...that truly defeats the whole purpose of the idea. Not that it was ever going to get off the ground.

Games can still be taken and played in Samoa and Tonga but the certain realities of the lack of appropriate infrastructure etc.come into play. There's also the economics of the Islands that would make it very difficult to maintain professional teams. Take Tonga for example. One of their largest sources of income is money sent back to the Island from expats in Australia and New Zealand.

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 08:09

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western-fo ... 881163728z
Force might drop out of Rapid Rugby :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum