Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Are you:

For
6
10%
Against
54
90%
 
Total votes : 60
User avatar
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 17:09

Ok, without that context it read like you were saying he was the one resisting change.

Posts: 449
Joined: Sun, 19 Feb 2017, 18:10
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby BigG » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 17:51

iul wrote:Again they mention relegation from 6N. If that happens I'm fine withthe whole thing.


Me too. But, forget about the World League or Nations Championship or whatever. It will not happen, because of "relegation/promotion".

Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 20:56
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby fullbackace » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 17:56

BigG wrote:
iul wrote:Again they mention relegation from 6N. If that happens I'm fine withthe whole thing.


Me too. But, forget about the World League or Nations Championship or whatever. It will not happen, because of "relegation/promotion".

It will if they have assurances that the playoff game will be heavily skewed for the bottom 6N side. As in home game + lenient ref and so on.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby victorsra » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 18:13

In fact it is pretty clear that with CVC approaching the 6N what will define anything is how much money will be involved.

So, if the NC means more money for each 6N team than the CVC deal (and this means enough money in one year to pay the bills if your team faces relegation,and this also means you need to consider that if you are relegated in one year you'll spend 2 years in 2nd division, as there is no promotion in Lions and RWC years), yes, they will accept. The question is: will WR reach a broadcast/sponsorship deal big enough?
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 18:25

Blurandski wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:The protection of the Lions, and the fact that randoms say they can't tour T2s when they're no longer T2s tells me one thing. This is about control of the game in the hands of the Tri-Nations and the Home Nations. Fugg dat.


You're completely overreacting. In all things ever there's a segment of the population that wants nothing to change, the key is to slowly boil the frog. Turn up the heat too quickly and it'll hop off.


How is that an overreaction though. World Rugby has taken great pains to preserve the Lions "history" as a part of our game. Whereas to actually make a change (which wouldn't fly because T1 Unions have all the votes), you just don't care about the Lions.(I do understand your point about slowly boiling the frog) However, the same problem exists now, as last week if not worse.

There is no cross pollination of T1 Unions touring T2 Unions. It removes the agreed upon calendar which guaranteed revenue generating opportunities for T2 Unions. Therefore, unless this guarantees every Union ranked from 13-24 an extra $15MM/year...everyone who has a vote that is a T2 Union and a Regional Association needs to vote no. Yet, I'm not sure thats' enough.

Posts: 449
Joined: Sun, 19 Feb 2017, 18:10
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby BigG » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 18:44

fullbackace wrote:
BigG wrote:
iul wrote:Again they mention relegation from 6N. If that happens I'm fine withthe whole thing.


Me too. But, forget about the World League or Nations Championship or whatever. It will not happen, because of "relegation/promotion".


It will if they have assurances that the playoff game will be heavily skewed for the bottom 6N side. As in home game + lenient ref and so on.


Here in Georgia we discussed that version. Hypothetically that could exist. However there are 100% guarantees for whatever infringements.
Therefore I believe no League with any kind of promotion/relegation.

Posts: 1650
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2014, 18:27
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby GeoRugby » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 19:25

Tier 2 nations need to reject this garbage.

Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 20:56
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby fullbackace » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 19:42

BigG wrote:
fullbackace wrote:
BigG wrote:
iul wrote:Again they mention relegation from 6N. If that happens I'm fine withthe whole thing.


Me too. But, forget about the World League or Nations Championship or whatever. It will not happen, because of "relegation/promotion".


It will if they have assurances that the playoff game will be heavily skewed for the bottom 6N side. As in home game + lenient ref and so on.


Here in Georgia we discussed that version. Hypothetically that could exist. However there are 100% guarantees for whatever infringements.
Therefore I believe no League with any kind of promotion/relegation.

I think that any kind of relegation from 6N would be a miracle. But since they're getting more money there's a chance it might go through.

Either way there's nothing good that will come out of this weather it's accepted or rejected. In fact if it's rejected we probably won't get the promised schedule anyway and there's a chance it might get worse than it is now since T1 unions are looking for more money than before, so even a single T1 game per year would be a lot.
Don't Pray For Easy lives, Pray for enough Beer!

Posts: 449
Joined: Sun, 19 Feb 2017, 18:10
National Flag:
GeorgiaGeorgia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby BigG » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 20:14

[Either way there's nothing good that will come out of this weather it's accepted or rejected. In fact if it's rejected we probably won't get the promised schedule anyway and there's a chance it might get worse than it is now since T1 unions are looking for more money than before, so even a single T1 game per year would be a lot.[/quote]

If information is true six nations may get more money from CVC rather than within the World League project.

User avatar
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 20:35

4N wrote:Jake White’s idea is interesting. It would avoid the mismatches of Japan or USA in the RC.

"Why not launch a world league that features Scotland, France, Fiji, Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Tonga, Italy, the USA and Samoa, and then have the top six teams in the world tour each other on an alternating basis?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inter ... rld-league


Why would France refuse to play New Zealand, Australia and South Africa?
Why would Argentina refuse to play England and Ireland?

User avatar
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 20:43

Armchair Fan wrote:Nations Championship second tier reduced from 12 to 10 teams...
https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1 ... 66464?s=19

So if I understood it correctly, the five European Division 2 teams would play each other (like now), and then play promotion. July and November would be open for other matchups. So far so good.

Then the five non-European Division teams would play each other (presumably in July and November). They would continue playing their continental competitions outside the international windows. But when would they play European teams, or Argentina?

User avatar
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 20:48

NaBUru38 wrote:
4N wrote:Jake White’s idea is interesting. It would avoid the mismatches of Japan or USA in the RC.

"Why not launch a world league that features Scotland, France, Fiji, Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Tonga, Italy, the USA and Samoa, and then have the top six teams in the world tour each other on an alternating basis?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inter ... rld-league


Why would France refuse to play New Zealand, Australia and South Africa?
Why would Argentina refuse to play England and Ireland?


If they are all for a merit-based system as they claim, they can qualify for the “top 6.” It’s fairer to Tier 2 by far, giving them access to teams that can actually help them improve, like Italy and Scotland. It avoids blowouts for a Fiji or Japan vs someone like NZ or England that would happen under the World League format and prevents the rest of T2 from effectively being cut off.

The more I think about White’s proposal the more I like it.

If World Rugby really cared about T2, this is the format they would push for. But we know this is just a cash grab and a bailout for the SH and they don’t care that it will expand the gap between rugby’s haves and have nots.

Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 20:51

NaBUru38 wrote:
4N wrote:Jake White’s idea is interesting. It would avoid the mismatches of Japan or USA in the RC.

"Why not launch a world league that features Scotland, France, Fiji, Argentina, Japan, Georgia, Tonga, Italy, the USA and Samoa, and then have the top six teams in the world tour each other on an alternating basis?

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inter ... rld-league


Why would France refuse to play New Zealand, Australia and South Africa?
Why would Argentina refuse to play England and Ireland?

His idea obviously is that RSA would only play NZ, AUS, WAL, IRE, and ENG in Test competition because they're so so good...so everyone else can play each other.

Although...monetarily, at some point that competition would dwarf any the value of RSA and they'd come a knocking.

User avatar
Posts: 1264
Joined: Thu, 28 Apr 2016, 14:02
Location: Las Canteras, Uruguay
National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby NaBUru38 » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:01

World Rugby proposes that the 12 teams play each other every year.

Jake White proposes that Australia, New Zealand and South Africa play two European teams every year.

It's pretty clear that I prefer the World Rugby Nations Championship.

- o -

Sudamérica Rugby president Sebastián Piñeyrúa supports the proposal:

https://www.sudamericarugby.org/2019/03 ... petencias/

User avatar
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:08

Jake White proposes that Australia, New Zealand and South Africa play two European teams every year.


No, three European nations. Which anyone can qualify for. The World League means Uruguay will probably never play a T1 opponent outside of the RWC and lose access to even the best T2 nations. :thumbdown:

Posts: 20
Joined: Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 07:50
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby Edinburra » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:08

A further interesting development. Not sure how the money will be allocated , but an interesting number when compared againct the CVC offer to the 6N

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47571016

User avatar
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:14

The CEO of Infront is Sepp Blatter’s nephew. Hilarious.

Posts: 20
Joined: Sat, 09 Feb 2019, 07:50
National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby Edinburra » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:16

4N wrote:The CEO of Infront is Sepp Blatter’s nephew. Hilarious.


I hope you are not suggesting something fishy between a Blatter family member , large sums of money and an International sports organisation :D

User avatar
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby 4N » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:19

Edinburra wrote:
4N wrote:The CEO of Infront is Sepp Blatter’s nephew. Hilarious.


I hope you are not suggesting something fishy between a Blatter family member , large sums of money and an International sports organisation :D


Never!

Posts: 1856
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby TheStroBro » Thu, 14 Mar 2019, 21:50

4N wrote:The CEO of Infront is Sepp Blatter’s nephew. Hilarious.

Oh my hahahahahahahahaa

User avatar
Posts: 2951
Joined: Wed, 30 Apr 2014, 16:57

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby 4N » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 01:27


Posts: 59
Joined: Mon, 21 May 2018, 12:45
National Flag:
NambiaNambia

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby JLJordaan » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 01:42

Canada, Namibia and Brazil are ranked higher than Hong Kong, yet they aren't even in division 2.

I wonder why they decided to decrease the number of teams in the second division, I prefer it being the same.

Short term wise I don't really like this Nations Championship, but over the years as teams (hopefully) move between the divisions this could work. We might even see a couple of T1 teams hanging around in other divisions.

Posts: 5749
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby victorsra » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 03:00

That's only an exemple... not the real divisions.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Posts: 3008
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 07:49

The setup of the 6N are, were and always will be the biggest obstacle for rugby to grow. If this thing reallly gets rid of the closed shop, I am all for it.
Is it the best solution? I don't think so, but probably the only one which could accepted and heads in the right direction.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Online
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Your feelings on the World League proposal (poll reset)

Postby rey200 » Fri, 15 Mar 2019, 08:21

Having Infront leading the attack is a very very very bad sign. If you think they care about the game... well you're wrong. Money, money, money, money, money, money, making a movie starring Depardieu and Roth, money, money, and some more money. And money. All they care about.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Edgar, Google [Bot], la vaca and 12 guests