Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Rugby in Oceania

User avatar
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Canalina » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 19:41

Just a resume of the six continental championships 2019
[venue, number of playing nations (% over the continent countries), beginning date-ending date]

Europe Cup: various, 34 (66%), Sep 29 (2018)-Jun 8
North America Cup: various, 10 (23%), Mar 9-June ?
Asia Cup: various, 19 (37%), Mar 30-Jun 29
South America Cup: various, 10/14 ?, May-Autumn ?
Africa Cup: various, 16 (28%), Jun 6-Jul 21
Oceania Cup: Papua Guinea, ? (% ?), Aug 28-Sep 8

User avatar
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Canalina » Wed, 27 Mar 2019, 19:43

dwpeate wrote:
Canalina wrote:The Oceania Cup will be hosted by Papua Guinea from august 27 to september 8.
Niue is searching for players of Niuean descendant


Featuring who?

I don't know, I've only read a post on Niue federation's facebook and it didn't provide details

Posts: 2939
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 09:24

Canalina wrote:Europe Cup: various, 34 (66%), Sep 29 (2018)-Jun 8


I really like the idea of your post very much.

But I think that number is wrong. I count 35 nations in the Rugby Europe Championships alone. But then we have this small closed championship called the 6 Nations as well, which you might be not included in your numbers :D
Rugby Europe has according to wikipedia 47 members (40 als WR members), 41 of them played, that would be 87%. Or 97,5% (Monaco didn't play) of the WR members +2 only RE members.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

User avatar
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Canalina » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 10:53

RugbyLiebe wrote:I count 35 nations in the Rugby Europe Championships

Montenegro apparently withdrew

I've taken the amount of each Continent's countries from wikipedia. It would have been too complicated to check out which territory may be considered a nation in rugby and which not, so I've simply taken the wikipedia numbers, just removing the "three guyanas" from South America and adding them to North America. Therefore those percentages are probably inaccurate, I know

PS: I've taken the total of each continent countries, not just the members of the local rugby Confederation

Posts: 2939
Joined: Wed, 14 Oct 2015, 13:30
National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 28 Mar 2019, 12:07

Canalina wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:I count 35 nations in the Rugby Europe Championships

Montenegro apparently withdrew

I've taken the amount of each Continent's countries from wikipedia. It would have been too complicated to check out which territory may be considered a nation in rugby and which not, so I've simply taken the wikipedia numbers, just removing the "three guyanas" from South America and adding them to North America. Therefore those percentages are probably inaccurate, I know

PS: I've taken the total of each continent countries, not just the members of the local rugby Confederation


Wikipedia has, at least for Rugby Europe, the exact member unions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_Europe
Souvereign Countries are listed as 50, but then problems with Unions like England, Wales and Scotland or Gibraltar (which has the same status as Jersey or the Faroe Islands) arise. Complicated businnes :D
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

Posts: 5597
Joined: Thu, 17 Apr 2014, 02:51
Location: São Paulo
National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby victorsra » Fri, 29 Mar 2019, 04:14

Canalina wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:I count 35 nations in the Rugby Europe Championships

Montenegro apparently withdrew

I've taken the amount of each Continent's countries from wikipedia. It would have been too complicated to check out which territory may be considered a nation in rugby and which not, so I've simply taken the wikipedia numbers, just removing the "three guyanas" from South America and adding them to North America. Therefore those percentages are probably inaccurate, I know

PS: I've taken the total of each continent countries, not just the members of the local rugby Confederation

There's also another continental shift in Sports: Guam. It is usually counted as Oceania, but they play Rugby (Soccer as well) in Asia.

And of course Israel.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

Online
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 14:24

Canalina wrote:
dwpeate wrote:
Canalina wrote:The Oceania Cup will be hosted by Papua Guinea from august 27 to september 8.
Niue is searching for players of Niuean descendant


Featuring who?

I don't know, I've only read a post on Niue federation's facebook and it didn't provide details


Back in November, I messaged Tuvalu rugby facebook to ask about the game with Nauru that was meant to happen.

This morning I had a message back from Tuvalu, saying about the Oceania Cup in PNG.

Could it be PNG, Niue, Tuvalu?

User avatar
Posts: 4975
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Canalina » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 15:22

I hope some more

Tahiti, Cook, American Samoa, Solomon, Vanuatu... they are all much bigger than Niue and Tuvalu

Online
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon, 12 Jan 2015, 09:13
National Flag:
WalesWales

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby dwpeate » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 16:59

Of course, Nauru were meant to play last year. I asked which nations were taking part but no response yet.

Posts: 337
Joined: Sun, 21 May 2017, 09:02
National Flag:
PolandPoland

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby rey200 » Mon, 01 Apr 2019, 18:41

could be an april fool's joke. You know, like a rugby federation actually trying to play test rugby
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

Posts: 35
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2016, 07:26
National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbySwizzie » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 11:34

After his absolute brilliant performance today against the Lions, I was wondering if the All Blacks selectors aren't interested in Sevu Reece?
And if he isn't selected for the World Cup, could you imagine that he could be selected for Fiji through his heritage?

Posts: 121
Joined: Mon, 10 Nov 2014, 06:54
National Flag:
ArgentinaArgentina

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Hernan14 » Fri, 26 Apr 2019, 20:01

RugbySwizzie wrote:After his absolute brilliant performance today against the Lions, I was wondering if the All Blacks selectors aren't interested in Sevu Reece?
And if he isn't selected for the World Cup, could you imagine that he could be selected for Fiji through his heritage?


Heritage? Him born and was raised in Fiji Deans Finals - Queen Victoria School U18

Posts: 35
Joined: Mon, 19 Sep 2016, 07:26
National Flag:
SwitzerlandSwitzerland

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugbySwizzie » Mon, 29 Apr 2019, 06:39

Thanks for the answer Hernan, I used the word "heritage" in the wrong way. I knew that he was born in Fiji, but I wasn't sure if he was going to be selected for them or poached by the All Blacks. Still an English learner;)

In other news: Tuvalu are indeed looking to debut in Rugby Union, their facebookpage has mentioned it today. They also confirmed participation in the Oceania Sevens and the South Pacific Games.

Posts: 157
Joined: Thu, 19 Oct 2017, 21:52
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Immenso » Mon, 13 May 2019, 04:19

on Reece, a recent article.
Although is from UK journalist, so I'd guess not any inside knowledge from the POV of any NZRU contacts.

I'd summarise it as 'Fiji coach explains that Reece unlikey to play for Fiji due to wanting to remain NZ qualified for contract reasons'.

It is a downside of the union-controlled contracting system.

I'm actually surprised that Reece has jumped up so far in both the potential Fiji and AB wing selection rankings. I've not watched the Crusaders this year so have no personal opinion.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/why-sevu ... -for-fiji/

Posts: 15
Joined: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:34
National Flag:
FinlandFinland

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby rugby ideas » Sun, 19 May 2019, 21:54

I'd love to see a ladder launched in which the other countries and islands are joined by teams representing the local authority areas of NZ and the states of Australia (yes, I know these would be 1st and 2nd place, ... it's the battle for 5th and for 9th I'd be more interested in!) and all players could only play for the one area where they grew up as a child (or the biggest % of it if moved around). It would also be great to see the Asian countries joining in ... and the seeding process is itself interesting to ponder ....

Posts: 959
Joined: Sun, 27 Apr 2014, 03:45
Location: Australia
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby RugInt » Mon, 20 May 2019, 01:53

I think I have posted before re Oceania rugby in the islands. Reasons for low test rugby appearances. Costs-getting players in from NZ and Australia. Travel-Air travel in the Pacific is very limited. Location of a central point to play a tournament? Easier to get to Auckland, Brisbane & Sydney than even Port Moresby.Needs a major sponsor.

Posts: 90
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2014, 00:30
National Flag:
Vatican StateVatican State

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby MikeN » Mon, 20 May 2019, 03:51

Immenso wrote:on Reece, a recent article.
Although is from UK journalist, so I'd guess not any inside knowledge from the POV of any NZRU contacts.

I'd summarise it as 'Fiji coach explains that Reece unlikey to play for Fiji due to wanting to remain NZ qualified for contract reasons'.

It is a downside of the union-controlled contracting system.

I'm actually surprised that Reece has jumped up so far in both the potential Fiji and AB wing selection rankings. I've not watched the Crusaders this year so have no personal opinion.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/why-sevu ... -for-fiji/


Interesting to compare Reece and Folau. Reece was in court for assaulting a woman and is talked about as a potential All Black while Folau makes stupid comments on line and gets fired.

Posts: 157
Joined: Thu, 19 Oct 2017, 21:52
National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Immenso » Mon, 20 May 2019, 04:06

MikeN wrote:
Immenso wrote:on Reece, a recent article.
Although is from UK journalist, so I'd guess not any inside knowledge from the POV of any NZRU contacts.

I'd summarise it as 'Fiji coach explains that Reece unlikey to play for Fiji due to wanting to remain NZ qualified for contract reasons'.

It is a downside of the union-controlled contracting system.

I'm actually surprised that Reece has jumped up so far in both the potential Fiji and AB wing selection rankings. I've not watched the Crusaders this year so have no personal opinion.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/why-sevu ... -for-fiji/


Interesting to compare Reece and Folau. Reece was in court for assaulting a woman and is talked about as a potential All Black while Folau makes stupid comments on line and gets fired.

Definitely.

Reece was actually discharged without conviction by the judge, as he was about to migrate on a professional contract to Ireland, and a conviction could potentially end his professional career. But then the Irish province terminated his contract anyway ...... and Reece was stuck in NZ. Nek minnit ....

Amazing sliding doors moment for him.

Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu, 23 Feb 2017, 01:37
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby TheStroBro » Wed, 22 May 2019, 00:23

Fiji has layed-off their defense coach as they've already gone over their budget...

Posts: 15
Joined: Thu, 16 May 2019, 17:34
National Flag:
FinlandFinland

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby rugby ideas » Sat, 01 Jun 2019, 21:30

I see the state of origin series is limited to NSW and Qld only at the moment - wouldn't it be gr8 if we had at least a Victoria team and a rest of Australia team, along with North and South island NZ (separately) playing too ... then adding all the other Oceania countries and territories would make a wonderful battle for 3rd and for 5th and for 9th, which would make very good viewing right ?

Maybe the best format to use would be one that only has each team play its nearest neighbours in the rankings ... , right ?

Posts: 493
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 14:49

Samoa (there is a corresponding U20 competition)



Senior A
Vikings 17-24 Knights
Navigators 50-6 Warriors
Tornadoes 24-31 Eagles
Legends 13-43 Chiefs
Eels bye

Semifinals next week:


Senior A
Eels vs Navigators
Vikings vs Chiefs


NB: Eels are from the capital Apia on Upolu island, the Chiefs are from the opposite (western) side of the island, and the Navigators are from a village in the south of Upolu. The Vikings are from the island of Savaii, which is geographically larger but only holds about a fifth of the national population.

https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/s ... VBBu_B9IOI

Posts: 493
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 08:21

Former national coach Titimaea Tafua is suing the Samoan Rugby Union for a $141K contract balance after he was fired and replaced by former Blues assistant Steve Jackson last year. Tafua didn't appear to have done anything wrong, certainly did not breach the terms of his contract, and was described by SRU chairman Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi (who is also the PM) as a "good coach." https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/samoa/43528

Update: The supreme court has reserved its decision, thus prolonging the saga.

Posts: 493
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 07:31

Fiji's Skipper Cup also reaches the semi-final stages this weekend with unbeaten Suva hosting Nadi at Ratu Cakabau Park in Nausori (just out of Suva). Nadroga and Naitasiri will contest the other semi at Lawaqa Park, Sigatoka (Nadroga province). All 4 teams are from the main island of Viti Levu. Suva and Nadroga are heavily favored to progress to the final. https://fijisun.com.fj/2019/06/13/suva- ... cup-semis/

Posts: 493
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 14:36

The Islands should certainly be well-prepared for the World Cup this year, with the PNC also coming up next month:

Kiwi fans of Pacific Rugby are in for a doubleheader treat later this year after the Pasifika Challenge was announced today.
Eden Park will host two matches on Saturday August 31 which will see Tonga's 'Ikale Tahi play against the Flying Fijians and Manu Samoa face off with the New Zealand Heartland XV.


https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/r ... YXRaN0qzsk

Posts: 493
Joined: Mon, 03 Jun 2019, 19:53
National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Re: Rugby in Oceania

Postby Edgar » Sat, 15 Jun 2019, 14:39

Fiji semis:

Suva 39 Nadi 15
Nadroga 33 Naitasiri 31

Samoa semis:

Eels 42 Navigators 13
Chiefs 31 Vikings 22

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dwpeate, Google Adsense [Bot], Natal and 9 guests