Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 14:23

Men's Gold Cup and Silver Cup cancelled to prioritise Women's and Men's Olympic qualifiers and women's 15s WC qualifiers.

https://www.kru.co.ke/news/rugby-africa ... ournament/

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Trendsetta » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 18:09

ugrugbychiclet wrote:Men's Gold Cup and Silver Cup cancelled to prioritise Women's and Men's Olympic qualifiers and women's 15s WC qualifiers.

https://www.kru.co.ke/news/rugby-africa ... ournament/

Sad! Maybe kwese got frustrated with Rugby Afrique constantly changing the format of the Gold Cup. Having two groups of 4 teams, then the top teams of each group play a final???? I guess they had to increase the teams to save Morocco from relegation. They have to constantly change formats to keep francophone countries especially north africans in the top division, even when it went to six teams. They did that in under 20 last year too when Group B teams became part of the top division and had the same format of two groups of 4 teams each.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 18:27

In a world where Sri Lanka doesn't play international matches to prepare for 7s (and then finishes behind the Philippines) and only two teams from the gold standard of rugby (Rugby Oceania) try to get to the World Cup that seems to be the sad reality. Don't play. Playing is not rugbylike.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 18:55

This is very heavy and surprising and disappointing for African rugby; and for the whole world rugby too. The last Africa Cup seemed the most interesting and successful of all the continental cups (together with the REC, let's say), instead it was laying on frail foundations

Still no news about on http://www.rugbyafrique.com , but it's to be noticed that the pages dedicated to Gold Cup and Silver Cup 2019 always remained unfulfilled http://www.rugbyafrique.com/gold-cup/gold-cup-2019/

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Wed, 10 Apr 2019, 20:48

Statement from Uganda Rugby

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 01:33

Thomas wrote:Statement from Uganda Rugby

very sad and dissapointing, sometimes i wonder if WR really cares about rugby growth in Africa.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 04:32

2 steps forward, 3 steps back. This sport is frustrating.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 04:33

I am sure WR cares very deeply about rugby growth in Africa, my concern is if Rugby Africa care about rugby growth in Africa. Last years format for the competitions was a great one and created a huge amount of interest for the game worldwide (Due to it being a WC qualifying tournament too no doubt). The changing of the format was the stupidest thing I have ever seen. We need a change in Rugby Africa, someone from East or Southern Africa should be in the top post.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby rugby-veterinarian » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 04:52

I agree. Rugby in Africa has great potential, and last years tourney with Gold cup and Silver Cup really shows that promotion and regulation can work, just like the European international tourney.

Just out of curiosity are there any future plans for Namibia, Zimbabwe or any other Africa countries to go on tours in the November test windows like the other southern hemisphere teams? I will admit I was really excited about Zimbabwe in last years Gold cup, but the results didn't live up to the hype. But it would be a lot of fun to see the Sables tour Europe in November against Portugal, Belgium, Germany, maybe even the Netherlands and so on.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby thatrugbyguy » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 05:49

Yes, the decision to add two more teams was perplexing to say the least. The 6 Nations format should have been retained.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 16:15

In green the nations playing in Africa Cup 2019, in white the nations not competing

National Flag:
RomaniaRomania

Postby iul » Thu, 11 Apr 2019, 16:38

Savage

National Flag:
KenyaKenya

Postby Neptune » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 01:52

Sables4EVA wrote:I am sure WR cares very deeply about rugby growth in Africa, my concern is if Rugby Africa care about rugby growth in Africa. Last years format for the competitions was a great one and created a huge amount of interest for the game worldwide (Due to it being a WC qualifying tournament too no doubt). The changing of the format was the stupidest thing I have ever seen. We need a change in Rugby Africa, someone from East or Southern Africa should be in the top post.

The main reason why Kwese Sports pulled out is because of Rugby Afrique's choice to change the format. The Gold cup is not as prestigious as it was before. Now every Tom, Dick and Harry can just come in regardless of their playing capabilities. Such Nonsense.

National Flag:
ZimbabweZimbabwe

Postby Sables4EVA » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 15:16

rugby-veterinarian wrote:I agree. Rugby in Africa has great potential, and last years tourney with Gold cup and Silver Cup really shows that promotion and regulation can work, just like the European international tourney.

Just out of curiosity are there any future plans for Namibia, Zimbabwe or any other Africa countries to go on tours in the November test windows like the other southern hemisphere teams? I will admit I was really excited about Zimbabwe in last years Gold cup, but the results didn't live up to the hype. But it would be a lot of fun to see the Sables tour Europe in November against Portugal, Belgium, Germany, maybe even the Netherlands and so on.

As far as I know there are no plans to tour in any of the test windows, in fact I think there are no games scheduled for the Sables at all in 2019 now that the Gold Cup is not happening. I am sure Zambia and Namibia will be interested and their proximity will be of assistance and the Academy team (Basically the Sables with some extra players) is in the Supersport Challenge.

I would hope for a rehash of the Victoria Cup as we have developed a very keen rivalry with the Elgon Cup sides so the crowds would be good.

I will keep my contacts open.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 14 Apr 2019, 17:06

Some people (I’d say at least 100 or 200) watched the Ocean Indien Top 6 final between FTM and COSFA

https://m.facebook.com/OfficialMalagasy ... &source=48

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby RugInt » Mon, 22 Apr 2019, 00:18

Haven't seen any clarification on this thread but the Ghana-Nigeria match set for next weekend is the first leg of the inaugural President's cup. The second leg is to be played in Lagos, Nigeria on 4 May. These matches were set in March and were to be preparation for their respective Silver Cup matches. I'm assuming this home/away series will still go ahead.

http://ghanarugby.org/2019/03/ghana-and ... dents-cup/

Elgon Cup first leg is set for 22 June in Kisumu, Kenya. Second leg was to be hosted by Uganda as part of the Gold Cup tournament. I've not heard if the second leg will take place. I hope so. It's great to see Africa nations trying to fill some of the gaps left by the crash of both the Gold and Silver Cups.

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Wed, 01 May 2019, 13:59

Two test-matches announced for Ghana :
vs Nigeria, 4 may 2019 in Accra, Ghana (President's Cup). Finally, only one leg ? The 1st lest was initially scheduled 27/04, but it seems to have not been played.
vs Ivory Coast, 11 may 2019 in Elmina, Ghana
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rugbygh/

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby Thomas » Fri, 03 May 2019, 17:38

Match Postponed:

On Ghana Facebook Page

Due to logistical challenges, the match scheduled for the 4th of May against Nigeria has been postponed and new dates for the Ghana-Nigeria President's Cup will be announced in due course.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Sun, 05 May 2019, 05:52

Going to Blida for the Algeria's national championship, the M'sila rugby team (M'sila is a town 200 km south-east of Alger) felt in a serious bus accident. 19 players of various ages remained wounded, in various grades. The few photos appeared on line show a man in bed with apparently not heavy injuries and some kids smiling with "just" a broken arm, but the image of the mini-van with the front splatted is worrying

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Mon, 06 May 2019, 04:37

Welwitschias thrashed on the weekend by Blue Bulls. 87-21

https://www.springboks.rugby/articles/2 ... -try-spree

How strong is this Welwitschias team supposed to be. Trying to gauge how good they'll be at the world cup this year.

This article calls them the "Namibian second stringers", but I'd say second string is generous, as plenty of the names in the squad are Namibian test players according to the wikipedia. (I understand it is only domestic based players. No Euro based, and presumably also no South African based players if they have other commitments).
https://neweralive.na/posts/welwitschia ... blue-bulls

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Mon, 06 May 2019, 19:44

"African rugby in crisis", an article from Australia

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/05/04/a ... in-crisis/

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 May 2019, 04:29

Mozambique hosts "preparation games" for their national teams (men, women, U18) this saturday, against a club from Swaziland/eSwatini (the new name of Swaziland). I haven't understood if the games are 7s or XV.
Mozambique's capitol city Maputo is relatively close to the border with eSwatini so I suspect that eSwatini will be their natural first opponent as soon as they will be ready for a test match

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ue_jpg.jpg

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Fri, 10 May 2019, 14:36

For some strange reason often the minor federations seem to consider the kick off time an useless detail. About the friendly match Ghana v Ivory Coast there are several advises on facebook, but no one of them reports the start hour of the game. "Come in Elimina to enjoy an international rugby duel!", they say more or less, but without specifying the kick off time. When should I be supposed to come in Elmina? At 8 AM, at noon, or it's enough at the end of the afternoon? :geek:

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby getienne » Sat, 11 May 2019, 13:34

Ivory Coast 23, Ghana 22 in Elmina,Ghana (Friendly)
Venue : Nduom Sports Stadium, Elmina

Apparently played at 11 am (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Rugbygh/)

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Sat, 11 May 2019, 14:07

this means the problem is Nigeria and not Ghana
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum