Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Spanish rugby

National Flag:
PakistanPakistan

Re: Spanish rugby

Postby jservuk » Sun, 19 May 2019, 00:23

Anything in the Spanish media about the game at Barca's Camp Nou between Wigan Warriors and Catalan Dragons?

I understand the attendance was around 31,000.

Those are good numbers for a club game for Rugby (League or Union) in mainland Europe away from the French strongholds.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 19 May 2019, 00:42

In Catalan media yes, not much in mainstream Spanish media. And I would say it's more because of what Dragons Catalans embody than due to the attendance, this kind of attendance for rugby isn't that noticeable given what we've seen in the past four years.

I mean, yeah, either 26 or 31k (I've seen both figures) is great but for general media... we already had 99k between foreign clubs in 2016. And it's all rugby, we don't see a big difference between XIII and XV. You had Catalan Rugby Union and Catalan XV clubs involved in the promotion of today's event. So why should media pick up on an event three times less successful?

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Postby beber » Sun, 19 May 2019, 08:56

I was there. Not the first time I was going to the Nou Camp, but first time I saw it so empty. Still, a crowd of 31 555 (official attendance) still a pretty good score, especially for League. There were many Wigan fans (I'd say there were about 8 000-10 000) who spent a nice weekend in Barcelona or Costa Brava - many of them wear a "Lloret de Mar" hat - , about 20 000 frenchies and something like 2000 locals. I've seen various shirts of local teams (Santboiana, BUC, Terrassa, L'Hospitalet) and I think it's always good for rugby in Spain to have a big rugby event, either Union or League (just hope catalan children were not too confused by the rules). Here are some pics I've took of how the stadium looked (first level almost full - second level scattered - the third level of the stadium were closed).

Postby Raven » Sun, 19 May 2019, 11:42

I know that knowing the outcome is a lot easier to make a comment like this, but wouldn´t it be better to have used the Montjuic given that Espanyol doesn´t play there anymore and it´s just being used for a handful of concerts a year?

I mean, it´s not the Camp Nou, but it is still a 60.000+ stadium... (and a very nice one indeed)

Who owns it now btw?

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Sun, 19 May 2019, 11:54

FC Barcelona invited Dragons Catalans to Camp Nou, it was that or nothing. And let's admit the Camp Nou appeal is way above Montjuïc or Cornellà-El Prat.

Montjuïc is owned by Barcelona town hall, but as you say is rarely used nowadays for sporting purposes.

Postby 4N » Sun, 19 May 2019, 19:03

Seville promoted to Division de Honor after Santander player tries to dropkick conversion in front of posts and misses. :?

https://mobile.twitter.com/RContrerasFM ... 4330656775

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Sun, 19 May 2019, 19:24

beber wrote:I was there. Not the first time I was going to the Nou Camp, but first time I saw it so empty. Still, a crowd of 31 555 (official attendance) still a pretty good score, especially for League. There were many Wigan fans (I'd say there were about 8 000-10 000) who spent a nice weekend in Barcelona or Costa Brava - many of them wear a "Lloret de Mar" hat - , about 20 000 frenchies and something like 2000 locals. I've seen various shirts of local teams (Santboiana, BUC, Terrassa, L'Hospitalet) and I think it's always good for rugby in Spain to have a big rugby event, either Union or League (just hope catalan children were not too confused by the rules). Here are some pics I've took of how the stadium looked (first level almost full - second level scattered - the third level of the stadium were closed).

That'd be a very nice location for a big rugby match, would love to see a Maori match there or another Champions Cup match.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 19 May 2019, 19:57

Maybe they could host a Top 14 final?

/s

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Sun, 19 May 2019, 19:58

4N wrote:Seville promoted to Division de Honor after Santander player tries to dropkick conversion in front of posts and misses. :?

https://mobile.twitter.com/RContrerasFM ... 4330656775

Saw this, why on earth was he drop kicking it???

Postby Raven » Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:30

Armchair Fan wrote:Bathco with their almost pro squad has won QF and SF pretty easily whereas Ciencias struggled. But for the good of Spanish rugby I hope the latter win the final. It would be a Liga Heineken team in the south, a big city and academy represented and a better home field than what Bathco can currently offer.

I guess you are happy now!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:33

Yes. Now let's see if Ciencias approaches next season in a serious and professional way, not playing in five different home fields like last time.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Mon, 20 May 2019, 20:29

sk 88 wrote:Maybe they could host a Top 14 final?

/s

Hold on - you may be on to something!

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 21 May 2019, 11:58

Our squad for the South American tour:

It's basically the best we have got at home plus Tomás Munilla, David Mélé and Emiliano Calle (I suspect Jorba will enter Sevens team in spite of being listed with USAP).

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 21 May 2019, 12:53

No Linklater?

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:19

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:25

qwerty wrote:No Linklater?

He's got a baby girl. He was supposed not to play in REC even though he finally did.

No Lucas Guillaume either, which probably means he's already signed a pro contract back in France after his spell in Alcobendas.

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby qwerty » Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:59

I was hoping for a stronger squad

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 21 May 2019, 15:07

You might not recall the kind of squads we've been sending to Nations Cup in previous years... And OK, it may not be sexy, it hasn't got Top 14 and ProD2 names bar a couple of them, but it's a squad I wish to watch play together. I'll be more than happy if we win two games in South America anyway.

National Flag:

Postby Thomas » Tue, 21 May 2019, 15:16

I really think this will be a successful tour.. just re-read the squad names and looks solid not a flashy squad but a team that will play together.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Tue, 21 May 2019, 23:36

Ahead of this Saturday's Liga Heineken final coaches from both Valladolid teams were interviewed by El Tercer Tiempo podcast from COPE radio station. I will spare you the translation from most of the chat, but they were asked about the prospects of an European campaign (even though we all know the current state of affairs in Continental Shield) next season and it doesn't look good...

Diego Merino (VRAC Quesos Entrepinares)
- "Too many people share their opinions without having all the information on the topic. There are guys within the club whose task is to evaluate this kind of things and if they see we cannot afford it, that's it. It's true that everybody when it's time to evaluate third-parties projects tend to give more passionate than reasonable opinions. But when you must take a decision on something like this, brain must prevail over heart. We accepted to take part in Continental Shield a year where we saw it could fit, even though with a lot of effort, and we declined in other years when we thought it was non-viable or that we were going to be too exposed or it was too risky. I feel our managers do the right thing and it's OK for me whether they say we can do it or not".
- "As long as it is viable, great, but there are many factors that people doesn't necessarily take into account and probably make it impossible"

Juan Carlos Pérez (SilverStorm El Salvador)
- "People want to see their team play at a higher level and it's always a challenge for everybody. A management challenge, a challenge for players, for coaches... But it's true that Continental Shield still lacks a lot of presence. It needs a clear structure that doesn't change every single year".
- "Yes, I think Spanish champions should play in Europe. It's a challenge and I always want to play against the best possible rivals so they put ourselves in the right pecking order and where we are right now. I always want to be measured. But I understand that from a structural point of view and with a schedule such as the one from Liga Heineken it's almost impossible and the way it is planned by EPCR makes it hard too".

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 22 May 2019, 00:50

Armchair Fan wrote:You might not recall the kind of squads we've been sending to Nations Cup in previous years... And OK, it may not be sexy, it hasn't got Top 14 and ProD2 names bar a couple of them, but it's a squad I wish to watch play together. I'll be more than happy if we win two games in South America anyway.

You guys are better than Brazil and Chile and should beat Uruguay on your best day. I expect these matches to be pretty even for the most part. I just enjoy the fact that this is a tour of all Latin countries (assuming you consider Brazil Latin). This doesn’t happen too often.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 22 May 2019, 08:36

You judge us from REC results. I'm not sure this Spain is better than this Brazil. I hope so, but you will never read me a fully optimistic bet on that.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 22 May 2019, 15:42

I don’t know much about your players but know around where Spain sits based on past results (mostly REC). I figured at the very least these games will be relatively evenly matched.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 23 May 2019, 15:53

Participation in Spanish Underage Championships and Tournaments

In spite of the caps that FER tried to implement this season, both clubs and teams numbers are still on the rise: 13 more clubs involved this year (+21.7%) and 19 teams in total (+5.6%).

VRAC is expecting this weekend more than 8,000 people at Pepe Rojo fields because U10, U8 and U6 tournaments clash with Liga Heineken final.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Fri, 24 May 2019, 12:06

El Salvador just announced tickets for Liga Heineken final are sold out:
https://www.rugbyelsalvador.com/agotada ... -heineken/

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum