General topic for African Rugby

National Flag:
FranceFrance

Re: General topic for African Rugby

Postby getienne » Sun, 12 May 2019, 13:48

Ghana report :
http://ghanarugby.org/2019/05/ivory-coa ... encounter/

The Ghana Eagles
Abdul Wahid Illiasu, William Elliot Hunt, Amissah Andrews, Calestos Bosoka, Yaya Lukman, Frank Sackey, Alex Dorpenyo, Jason Dzata, Kofi Appiah, Alexander Aquaah Akoto, Micheal Aquaye, Hamza Mohammed (C), Jerry Danquah, Kofi Montchon, Jalilu Yussif Abdul, Rabiu Mohammed, Prince Boamah, Christian Adamson, Ka-Cie Addison, Eric Tettegah, Richard Kwesi, Francis Donkor, Bless Mensah John.

Ghana Scorers
Tries: Yaya Lukman (2), Richard Kwesi Conversions: Alexander Aquaah Akoto, Rabiu Mohammed Penalty: Alexander Aquaah Akoto

Match Officials:
Referee: Ignace N’Dri (Ivory Coast !), Assistant Referees: Ishmael Adamah, Prince Odoom, Asenso Brobbey, Benson Nortei Botchwey.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Tobar » Tue, 14 May 2019, 15:55

How is Ghana doing? From the select media coverage I see of Africa they say that Ghana is a country on the rise. I am working with someone who runs a company with Ghanaian employees (and she is Ghanaian) and it seems like the country as a whole is going through a huge growth period.

National Flag:
IrelandIreland

Postby Shev » Tue, 14 May 2019, 16:19

Ghana u20s recently competed in division C of the Barthes tournament (African u20 tournament) where they were beat 55-3 by Zambia and 52-0 by Uganda. Zambia then went on to beat Uganda 14-12 and so they were promoted to division B for next year where they will play against Ivory coast, Tunisia and Zimbabwe.

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Tue, 14 May 2019, 16:33

I know a young man from Ghana. In my provincial mind africans are good people but lazy and a bit "slow"; he is more smart than me, more funny, more friendly, more ambitious and he spent his last holidays in a Indochina village to help poor kids. If just a little part of the ghanians are like him, they are going to do good thing in rugby and (more important) in all the rest

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Tue, 14 May 2019, 20:58

Canalina wrote:In my provincial mind africans are good people but lazy and a bit "slow"

I'm sorry, what?

National Flag:
ItalyItaly

Postby Canalina » Wed, 15 May 2019, 04:25

It was my thought, I'm happy to may correct it. Sorry if it sounded harsh

National Flag:
UgandaUganda

Postby ugrugbychiclet » Wed, 15 May 2019, 12:46

Canalina wrote:It was my thought, I'm happy to may correct it. Sorry if it sounded harsh

Please correct it. That is a very unpleasant thing to say. Secondly, Africa is a continent - some cultures are shared and others are vastly different. Same with languages and pretty much everything else.

National Flag:

Postby Tobar » Wed, 15 May 2019, 12:49

Canalina wrote:It was my thought, I'm happy to may correct it. Sorry if it sounded harsh

It just seemed racist and completely unnecessary to even say. It’s like if we’re talking about the new South American League and I say “well, in my American mindset Latinos are lazy and dumb.”

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Wed, 22 May 2019, 22:02

Algeria new WR associate member https://www.world.rugby/news/423531
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
ScotlandScotland

Postby mcruic » Tue, 28 May 2019, 09:20

11 May (Maputo): Mozambique 48-7 Mbabane Cheetahs (Eswatini)
http://theroonba.com Results from 70 team sports

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 08 Jun 2019, 16:59

Namibia's Welwitschias have been beaten 12-56 by Hino Valke Falkons (Western Gauteng) in the South African Super Sport Challenge this afternoon, while Zimbabwe succumbed 15-43 to Eastern Province. The competition is divided into North & South divisions. Nelspruit's Pumas lead the former with Namibia bottom on 0-7. Western Province lead the latter with Zimbabwe bottom on 0-7.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby Immenso » Sun, 09 Jun 2019, 22:10

Edgar wrote:Namibia's Welwitschias have been beaten 12-56 by Hino Valke Falkons (Western Gauteng) in the South African Super Sport Challenge this afternoon, while Zimbabwe succumbed 15-43 to Eastern Province. The competition is divided into North & South divisions. Nelspruit's Pumas lead the former with Namibia bottom on 0-7. Western Province lead the latter with Zimbabwe bottom on 0-7.

Namibia competing concurrently, for a few weeks, in both the Nations Cup in Montevideo and in the Supersport Challenge.
Presumably the B players are playing in the Supersport Challenge while the first team is in Montevideo. In which case a 12-56 is not too bad. (I've been concerned about some of Namibia's recent results in this comp)

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Mon, 10 Jun 2019, 06:32

Zimbabwe's team is referred to as an 'Academy' selection, but I think it's pretty close to the strongest home-based team they have. Namibia also seems to field its strongest locally-based team (no overseas-based professionals called in), but, yes, at the moment it's got to be a B team with the first string competing in the Nations Cup. The results haven't been great for either Zimbabwe or Namibia, but it's surely helping their development. Kudos to the South Africans for including them :thumbup:

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 19:50

Looks like the southern & eastern African Gold Cup teams minus Namibia will have their own tourny this year. Great idea!

"There is a Victoria Cup coming up, which is a competition between Kenya, Zim, Uganda and Zambia."

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/zimbabwe-w ... _TR7tJVSEA

The All Blacks once played in Zambia, defeating a Northern Rhodesian XV 13-9 up in Kitwe near the Congolese border in 1960. :geek:

National Flag:
WalesWales

Postby dwpeate » Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 20:10

Edgar wrote:Looks like the southern & eastern African Gold Cup teams minus Namibia will have their own tourny this year. Great idea!

"There is a Victoria Cup coming up, which is a competition between Kenya, Zim, Uganda and Zambia."

The All Blacks once played in Zambia, defeating a Northern Rhodesian XV 13-9 up in Kitwe near the Congolese border in 1960. :geek:

Excellent if it goes ahead! I wonder if we will see the return of the North African tri nations this year now.

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Tue, 11 Jun 2019, 20:22

Looks a sure thing, and they certainly will need the match practice with the Gold Cup currently on ice. Namibia's exclusion is a little mysterious, as their involvement in the Super Sport Series is already over and the Nations Cup wraps up this weekend. Should be a good learning curve for the Zambians anyway.

At this stage nothing scheduled for the Maghreb at all though they did always play that Tri Nations at New Years and will probably get around to arranging it sometime around November ;)

That was an amazing series, actually. Boring, forward-oriented rugby but practically every game was separated by 1 or 2 points. A 3 point victory almost looked like a blowout!

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 20:36

Interesting report on Rwandan club rugby up on the Rugby Africa site: http://www.rugbyafrique.com/bronze-cup

Rwanda were 3rd in the Bronze Cup last year; Africa's 3rd division, involving 4 teams.
I believe all the clubs in the Central Region are from in or around the capital city Kigali.
The Southern Region is made up of teams from various regions in the south of the country.

Standings:

The Central Region

No Team Points
1 Thousand Hills RFC 17
2 Lion de Fer RFC 10
3 Kigali Sharks 10
4 Remera Buffaloes 0

Southern Region

No Team Points
1 Muhanga Thunders RFC 15
2 Rusizi Resilience RFC 14
3 Kamonyi Puma RFC 6
4 UR Grizzlies RFC 1

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 13 Jun 2019, 21:55

& Ivory Coast get a game against the French Fire Brigade in Bordeaux on June 29. Interesting choice of opposition :roll:

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 07:14

Edgar wrote:Looks like the southern & eastern African Gold Cup teams minus Namibia will have their own tourny this year. Great idea!

The Victoria cup match schedule:

22 June Kenya v Uganda
6 July Kenya v Zimbabwe
13 July Uganda v Kenya
13 July Zimbabwe v Zambia
20 July Zimbabwe v Kenya
27 July Uganda v Zimbabwe
27 July Zambia v Kenya
10 August Uganda v Zambia
17 August Kenya v Zambia
24 August Zimbabwe v Uganda
31 August Zambia v Uganda
14 September Zambia v Zimbabwe

http://www.rugbyafrique.com/zimbabwe-sa ... VSqPBV4iRw

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 16:19

Well, at least something will be happening in Africa over the next couple of years. Here is the 2023 RWC qualifying schedule:

Elimination stage: November 2019 – 4 single matches

23 November : Côte d’Ivoire vs Rwanda in Abidjan / Ghana vs Botswana in Ghana

30 November : Senegal vs Mauritius in Dakar

1 December : Madagascar vs Nigeria in Antananarivo

Group stage: From June 2020 onwards – 3 matches per group, 12 in total

Group A: Namibia, Zambia, Winner of the match Madagascar vs Nigeria

Group B: Kenya, Morocco, Winner of the match Côte d’Ivoire vs Rwanda

Group C: Uganda, Algeria, Winner of the match Senegal vs Mauritius

Group D: Tunisia, Zimbabwe, Winner of the match Ghana vs Botswana

Final stage: July to August 2020 – 4 matches

Semi-final 1: Group A Winner vs Group D Winner

Semi-final 2: Group B Winner vs Group C Winner

Play-off for 3rd place: Loser of semi-final 1 vs Loser of semi-final 2

Grand final: Winner of semi-final 1 vs Winner of semi-final 2

https://rugbyafrica.africa-newsroom.com ... zEcHu3lVBg

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Fri, 14 Jun 2019, 20:31

So, looks like the African qualifiers will be over 3 years before the 2023 World Cup is played. :? Except if there's a repechage again, in which case the team concerned is going to be waiting 2 or 3 years just to find out its fate. Can that be right?

Meanwhile, the PDV saga drags on in Zimbabwe:

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Sat, 15 Jun 2019, 00:22

Edgar wrote:So, looks like the African qualifiers will be over 3 years before the 2023 World Cup is played. :? Except if there's a repechage again, in which case the team concerned is going to be waiting 2 or 3 years just to find out its fate. Can that be right?

I believe that it's a 2 year cycle thing, and the second cycle will decide qualifiers. Cycle one is just for champions of Africa.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby antlat » Sat, 15 Jun 2019, 04:43

Excellent news!

Finally a sensible all encompassing continental championship (minus South Africa).

Hopefully the other regional associations follow suit.
The division structure of regional rugby tournaments need to be removed and replaced by multiple round tournaments.

Well done Rugby Africa!

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 15 Jun 2019, 13:39

Edgar wrote:Well, at least something will be happening in Africa over the next couple of years. Here is the 2023 RWC qualifying schedule:

Elimination stage: November 2019 – 4 single matches

23 November : Côte d’Ivoire vs Rwanda in Abidjan / Ghana vs Botswana in Ghana

30 November : Senegal vs Mauritius in Dakar

1 December : Madagascar vs Nigeria in Antananarivo

Group stage: From June 2020 onwards – 3 matches per group, 12 in total

Group A: Namibia, Zambia, Winner of the match Madagascar vs Nigeria

Group B: Kenya, Morocco, Winner of the match Côte d’Ivoire vs Rwanda

Group C: Uganda, Algeria, Winner of the match Senegal vs Mauritius

Group D: Tunisia, Zimbabwe, Winner of the match Ghana vs Botswana

Final stage: July to August 2020 – 4 matches

Semi-final 1: Group A Winner vs Group D Winner

Semi-final 2: Group B Winner vs Group C Winner

Play-off for 3rd place: Loser of semi-final 1 vs Loser of semi-final 2

Grand final: Winner of semi-final 1 vs Winner of semi-final 2

https://rugbyafrica.africa-newsroom.com ... zEcHu3lVBg

Not bad. But why not just go with 4 groups of 4? Maybe in the future. Certainly something to build off. Would be great if it evolved into 4x4 pools playing home and away. Would be awesome.

National Flag:
AustraliaAustralia

Postby Working Class Rugger » Sat, 15 Jun 2019, 13:41

antlat wrote:Excellent news!

Finally a sensible all encompassing continental championship (minus South Africa).

Hopefully the other regional associations follow suit.
The division structure of regional rugby tournaments need to be removed and replaced by multiple round tournaments.

Well done Rugby Africa!

Could be an interesting model for the future of the regional structures if the Nations Championship concept gets up. Would be a good set up for the '3rd' division of the structure.

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum