Tier 2 & 3 Rugby Forum

Sevens World Series/7's News

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Re: Sevens World Series/7's News

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 06:47

The Oktoberfest 7s were great. With 27000 people attending, the numbers grew, which is not bad considering, that in a World Cup year, probably foreign visitors numbers were down.

Germany played great and only lost the semi-final, because South Africa, defended their tryline successfully for the last 20 seconds with everything they had. Phantastic event. Let's hope the numbers will grow more in the next years. Continuity is really important now.
How to grow rugby worldwide?
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:
Great BritainGreat Britain

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 08:11

Is that 27k across the weekend or on one day?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 08:13

sk 88 wrote:Is that 27k across the weekend or on one day?

For two days. Goal was 32k, so just short of that.
Look at the world ranking in July. Teams ranked 1-10 have to play one team from 11-20 (they don't play in a regular competition) away the next year. 11-20 play 21-30 away and so on. Yes, it really is that simple.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Mon, 23 Sep 2019, 18:10

Still very good numbers, though good to set stretching targets too.

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Mon, 30 Sep 2019, 12:44

Well this article confirms the 2nd tier 7s World Series after HK and Japan qualified from the Asian series . It will be called "World Rugby Challenger Series 7s", with as previously mentioned two qualifying tourny's on 15-16 and 22-23 February 2020 in Chile and Uruguay presumably Vina del Mar and Punta del Este.

So the two South American qualifying tournaments will have 16 teams, of which the best 8 will qualify for the Hong Kong event with that winner making to the World Series the next season. I don't know what others think, but I'm not keen on this "best 8" they should just have three 16 team events with the best team over the legs making the World Series, and when do 7s tourny's ever have 8 teams apart from a few regional tournys with less teams. I guess its good that we will have competitive 2nd tier circuit at long last.

https://www.asiarugby.com/2019/09/30/ja ... ies-japan/

National Flag:
UruguayUruguay

Postby NaBUru38 » Mon, 30 Sep 2019, 15:07

I like that tier 2 teams will play more torunaments. I can't complain about the format.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Mon, 30 Sep 2019, 17:30

nick511 wrote:Well this article confirms the 2nd tier 7s World Series after HK and Japan qualified from the Asian series . It will be called "World Rugby Challenger Series 7s", with as previously mentioned two qualifying tourny's on 15-16 and 22-23 February 2020 in Chile and Uruguay presumably Vina del Mar and Punta del Este.

So the two South American qualifying tournaments will have 16 teams, of which the best 8 will qualify for the Hong Kong event with that winner making to the World Series the next season. I don't know what others think, but I'm not keen on this "best 8" they should just have three 16 team events with the best team over the legs making the World Series, and when do 7s tourny's ever have 8 teams apart from a few regional tournys with less teams. I guess its good that we will have competitive 2nd tier circuit at long last.

https://www.asiarugby.com/2019/09/30/ja ... ies-japan/

Maybe because HK7s don't have schedule for more teams?

They should at least keep the points from the first 2 legs. It would be ridiculous if the 8th placed team wins in HK and is promoted while, let's say, a team that wins in both Punta and Viña ans is runners up in HK isn't promoted. Imagine how unfair.
Brazilian Rugby News: www.portaldorugby.com.br

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 07:29

I just had a look at the World Sevens Series and Japan will play as the guest team in Dubai.
Strangely they have them listed as a normal team on their page
https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/teams

If international rugby admins f*** Germany over again and our 7s team doesn't get to play their two legs on the World Series, they've qualified for as the European champion, I am not sure if I can still watch this sport.

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 08:13

Don't say you weren't warned...

National Flag:
New ZealandNew Zealand

Postby nick511 » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 08:22

RugbyLiebe wrote:I just had a look at the World Sevens Series and Japan will play as the guest team in Dubai.

If international rugby admins f*** Germany over again and our 7s team doesn't get to play their two legs on the World Series, they've qualified for as the European champion, I am not sure if I can still watch this sport.

I noticed a Japan 7s development team has also been invited to the Oceania 7s too, so seems WR are doing everything to include Japan. I hope for your sake they don't shut out Germany. If they play in Cape Town, I think that's also unfair on the top African team and all the other "16th team" spots.

The Japan & Canada teams will also take part in the woman's event.

https://www.oceaniarugby.com/pageitem.a ... tyID=66726

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 12:32

Armchair Fan wrote:Don't say you weren't warned...

Well, it is my fear since we miraculously won the Championship.
But honestly what kind of joke sport is rugby, when they let something like this happen again and again and again and again.
I mean how narrow-minded must an administration be to not see the massive damage they are doing with this kind of action.

Still got the glimpse of hope, that I am wrong with my fears.

National Flag:
PolandPoland

Postby rey200 » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 12:45

i think Japan will play in London OR Paris and Germany would play the other one.

at the women's series Kenya will play in Dubai.
Ceterum censeo Sex Nationes esse augendas.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 13:08

Okay, we have a crowned European champion, whose championship wasn't even announced on all official World Rugby social media channels, despite being labelled as "historic" by World Rugby itself on their homepage.

I mean this is such a classic British move for "you won't play on those two stages despite having earned the right, because we can change our mind every time we want" as everything you will ever see. "Ignore them and go on with what's best for yourself". I am so sick of reading everywhere about Respect, sportsmanship, integrity, etc. when de facto rugby administration gives a f*** about all those circulated values.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby germanbullsfan » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 18:32

mean this is such a classic British move for "you won't play on those two stages despite having earned the right, because we can change our mind every time we want" as everything you will ever see. "Ignore them and go on with what's best for yourself". I am so sick of reading everywhere about Respect, sportsmanship, integrity, etc. when de facto rugby administration gives a f*** about all those circulated values.

Cant agree more , if that would happen boy oh boy

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 19:18

RugbyLiebe wrote:I just had a look at the World Sevens Series and Japan will play as the guest team in Dubai.

It really sucks but Germany is still one of the favorites in the World Rugby Sevens Challenger.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 20:10

That is hardly the point.

They want growth but only in the countries they want it in.

National Flag:
BrazilBrazil

Postby victorsra » Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 23:01

Which doesn't make sense. Why would they reject Germany, a Top 5 economy in the World?

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 06:44

So since I posted this yesterday, I looked into it and apparently World Rugby really plans to have Germany not playing on a single World Series tournament, but give those places to Japan instead.

I am absolutely speechless. This is not a sport, it is a joke.

National Flag:

Postby sk 88 » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 07:33

victorsra wrote:Which doesn't make sense. Why would they reject Germany, a Top 5 economy in the World?

Who said it had to make sense? This is rugby. I totally agree it is stupid and self defeating.

They want Japan now so they are giving them everything.

National Flag:
EnglandEngland

Postby Blurandski » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 08:42

RugbyLiebe wrote:So since I posted this yesterday, I looked into it and apparently World Rugby really plans to have Germany not playing on a single World Series tournament, but give those places to Japan instead.

Isn't this the same as 2015-16 where Spain lost both weekends to Brazil because of the Olympics? Seemingly the Olympic host gets given the European spots.

National Flag:
GermanyGermany

Postby RugbyLiebe » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 09:23

Blurandski wrote:
RugbyLiebe wrote:So since I posted this yesterday, I looked into it and apparently World Rugby really plans to have Germany not playing on a single World Series tournament, but give those places to Japan instead.

Isn't this the same as 2015-16 where Spain lost both weekends to Brazil because of the Olympics? Seemingly the Olympic host gets given the European spots.

I totally forgot about this. Those f***ing f***s.
Probably that's because Europe is the continental union with the most promising teams and with the least Commonwealth teams :roll:
I would bet a lot of money that Ireland would have played those two legs.

We got a team like Germany which knocked now on the W7S door for years, always nearly missing it. They set up a tournament in their country were rugby is something obscure and virtually unknown and draw 27k people. They set up a more than just semi-pro-setup from the ground. They win the European championship and make it to play as a guest on the World Series. And then World Rugby steps in and f***s them over. If I was a player or a young hopeful, that's the time to decide, that there are other things in life than rugby and it is maybe not worth all the efforts.

National Flag:
United StatesUnited States

Postby Edgar » Fri, 18 Oct 2019, 17:30

Safari 7s on in Nairobi this weekend. I've posted a fair few links to news, teams and the draw on the African Rugby thread, but here's the latest preview from Kenya's Ragahouse, which puts it all together in one article, including a link to live streaming:

The players of 16 teams competing at the 23rd edition of Safari 7s in Nairobi, Kenya are set to converge at a Nairobi hotel on Friday for pre-tournament cocktail.

Hosts Kenya, South Africa and Spain are using Safari 7s to prepare for the 2020 HSBC World Sevens series that starts with Dubai 7s in December.

The likes of Uganda and Zimbabwe are readying for November’s Africa 7s while Russia, according to Fiji 7s legend and head coach Waisale Serevi, are preparing for European GPX series.

South Africa’s Blitzboks are seeded top for Safari 7s. They will face Uganda, Kenya Morans and Burundi. Boks will be lead by Siviwe Soyizwapi with Cecil Africa, Selvyn Davids and Angelo Davids making the squad.

The Kenya Morans are led by experienced Kenya 7s international Jeff Oluoch. Vincent Onyala, Alvin Otieno, Dan Sikuta, Herman Humwa and Johnstone Olindi all who have HSBC World Sevens Series experience join Oluoch.

Defending champions Samurai play Western Province, Zastava and Red Wailers in pool B. Australian Tom Connor leads Samurai to be joined by vice captain W.J. Strydom ( South Africa), Dylan Pietsch Charlie Tupu and Hayden Seargeant (Australia) among others.

Kenya Shujaa are set to see Sevens great Collins Injera, celebrating his birthday on Friday, feature at the Safari 7s for the first time since 2012. Andrew Amonde captains Shujaa as regulars Bush Mwale, Willy Ambaka and Nelson Oyoo return.

Pool D should be interesting as Spain play Zimbabwe, Seventise and local side KCB that has couple of players who won the national sevens circuit a month ago.

Safari 7s will be streamed LIVE at https://www.facebook.com/safari7s/

Safari 7s Draw:

Pool A: South Africa, Uganda, Kenya Morans, Burundi
Pool B: Samurai, Western Province, Zastava, Red Wailers
Pool C: Kenya Shujaa, Blue Bulls, Russia Academy, Zambia
Pool D: Spain, Zimbabwe, Seventise, KCB

Safari 7s past winners:
2018: Samurai
2017: Not played
2016: Kenya 7s
2015: Samurai
2014: Welsh Warriors
2013: Kenya 7s
2012: SA Elite
2011: Samoa
2010: Kenya 7s

Safari 7s Fixtures
Uganda vs Morans 9.30am
South Africa vs Burundi 9.50am
Western Province vs Zastava 10.10am
Samurai vs Red Wailers 10.30am
Blue Bulls vs Russia Academy 10.50am
Shujaa vs Zambia 11.10am
Zimbabwe vs Seventise 11.30am
Spain vs KCB 11.50am

Uganda vs Burundi 12.20pm
South Africa vs Morans 12.40pm
Western Province vs Red Wailers 1pm
Samurai vs Zastava 1.20pm
Blue Bulls vs Zambia 1.40pm
Shujaa vs Russia Academy 2pm
Zimbabwe vs KCB 2.20pm
Spain vs Seventise 2.40pm

Morans vs Burundi 3.10pm
Zastava vs Red Wailers 3.30pm
Russia Academy vs Zambia 3.50pm
Seventise vs KCB 4.10pm
South Africa vs Uganda 4.30pm
Samurai vs Western Province 4.50pm
Shujaa vs Blue Bulls 5.10pm
Spain vs Zimbabwe 5.30pm

http://ragahouse.com/news/item/16-teams ... -safari-7s

& here's my own preview :D https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/10/19/s ... -to-kenya/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Sat, 19 Oct 2019, 17:32

So 4 Kenyan teams made it through to the quarters; the Shujaa national team, the Morans national B team, the Red Wailers selection and the KCB club. Favorites South Africa also progressed, along with the Samurai international selection, French Seventise and Russian Academy.

KCB were the real surprise package with victories over Spain and Zimbabwe. Zambia beat South Africa's Bulls but did not progress, and the two Russian teams also did well to draw with WP and the Bulls. BlitzBok surprisingly struggled to put away Uganda and Morans meanwhile.

Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Burundi, Spain, WP, the Bulls and Zastava will contest the Bowl QFs. Live-streaming will continue at the Safari Sevens Facebook page.

Cup quarters

10:20 – South Africa vs KCB
10:40 – Shujaa vs Samurai
11:00 – Seventise vs Morans
11:20 – Red Wailers vs Russia Academy

Challenge Trophy

9:00 – Uganda vs Zimbabwe
9:20 – Zambia vs Zastava
9:40 – Spain vs Burundi
10:00 – W. Province vs Blue Bulls

Safari 7s Day One

Uganda 10-24 Morans
South Africa 61-00 Burundi
Western Province 19 -17 Zastava
Samurai 05- 19 Red Wailers
Blue Bull 24 – 24 Russia Academy
Shujaa 31- 00 Zambia
Zimbabwe 00 – 24 Seventies
Spain 07 – 24 KCB

Round Two

Uganda 33-12 Burundi
South Africa 17 – 12 Morans
Western Province 15 – 12 Red Wailers
Samurai 33- 14 Zastava
Blue Bulls 17-22 Zambia
Shujaa 41-00 Russia Academy
Zimbabwe 12 -19 KCB
Spain 00 – 14 Seventise

Russia Academy 31-12 Zambia
Seventise 35-12 KCB
South Africa 19-17 Uganda
Samurai 17-12Western Province
Shujaa 21-7 Blue Bulls
Spain 31-0 Zimbabwe

scrummage.co.ke/2019/10/19/south-africa-shujaa-unbeaten-on-safari-7s-day-one/

Update 20/10/19:

Kenya Morans, the national B team, are the Safari 7s Champions after beating South Africa 19-14 in the final in Nairobi today.

Finals

South Africa 14-19 Kenya Morans

Bronze

Shujaa 19-5 Russia Academy

Fifth place

Samurai 19-10 Seventise

Challenge Trophy

Uganda 12-29 Western Province

13th place playoffs

Blue Bulls 38-21 Zastava

Cup semis

South Africa 19-5 Shujaa

Kenya Morans 24-10 Russia

Fifth place semis

KCB 17-21 Samurai

Seventise 21-7 Red Wailers

Challenge Trophy Semis

Uganda 26-21 Zambia

Spain 5-22 Western Province

13th place semis

Zimbabwe 10-14 Zastava

Burundi 0-64 Blue Bulls

Cup Quarters
South Africa 31-14 KCB
Shujaa 19-14 Samurai
Seventise 7-24 Morans
Red Wailers 5-17 Russia Academy

Challenge Trophy

Uganda 17-12 Zimbabwe
Zambia 27-17 Zastava
Spain 48-5 Burundi
W. Province 31-26 Blue Bulls

National Flag:
SpainSpain

Postby Armchair Fan » Wed, 23 Oct 2019, 22:25

China is sending a Sevens men team to Elche tournament against European WS and Challenger sides:
https://rugbycv.es/confirmadas-las-sele ... by-sevens/

National Flag:

Postby Edgar » Thu, 24 Oct 2019, 20:26

Kenyan International Willy Ambaka and Oscar Ouma are expected to feature for Barbarians at the RugbX tournament set for October 29th at the O2 in London. According to video by the Tournament’s Director Ben Ryan who is a former Fiji Coach and Olympic Gold Medal winner, the two Kenyan Star will be joined by Fijian stars Jasa Veremalua, Kitione Taliga, Osea Kolinisau, Samisoni Viriviri, Pio Tuwai, South Africa’s Kyle Brown and Luke Treharne of Wales.

https://www.scrummage.co.ke/2019/10/23/ ... in-rugbyx/

Former Fiji 7s player, Amenoni Nasilasila has been sentenced to eight years imprisonment for raping a 24-year-old woman on 22nd December last year.

The incident took place at a settlement in Sigatoka.

High Court Judge Justice Daniel Goundar overturned the not guilty opinion of the three assessors and convicted 27-year-old Nasilasila for a count of rape last month.

Justice Goundar has set a non-parole period of six years.

While sentencing Nasilasila, Justice Goundar stated that the woman had told the court that she was subjected to victimisation on social media by Nasilasila's fans after she had accused him of rape but did not suggest that Nasilasila was personally responsible for the actions of his fans.

Justice Goundar says the woman blames Nasilasila's status as a sports celebrity for the attacks on her by Nasilasila's fans.

http://www.ragahouse.com/news/item/form ... s-for-rape

The Africa Men’s 7s which will also serve as the Olympic Qualifiers will take place in Johannesburg on Friday 8 and Saturday 9 November.

First Round

1 Zimbabwe v Nigeria

2 Kenya v Cote d’Ivoire

3 Uganda v Mauritius

4 Madagascar v Botswana

5 Zambia v Ghana

6 Tunisia v Namibia

7 Senegal v Morocco

https://www.scrummage.co.ke/2019/10/24/ ... rst-round/

PreviousNext

Return to Rugby Forum